Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OSCAR WILD PARTY  (Read 32189 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE OSCAR WILD PARTY
« on: February 29, 2004, 12:01:24 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are notes complete, therefore let us post until the cows come home for the Oscar bash, and then let us post some more.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 12:03:28 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE OSCAR WILD PARTY
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 12:15:44 AM »

OK! OK! OK!

I'm a late-night denizen, and I'm posting.

Well, since I only saw two Oscar nominated films last year, I'll have to pull for those: Finding Nemo and In America.

-But I do either Samantha Morton and/or Djimon Hounsou (sp?) win Best Supporting Actor/tress.

I'll have to pull up a ballot to check off my other choices... but that will have to wait until morning...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 12:19:00 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]FIRST[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]POST[/move]
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DANCE![/move][/size]

WOW!  Haven't done that in a while either!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 12:22:25 AM »

Well, nice try with the "60 Minutes" theme, Jose, but it didn't manage to get "I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates" out of my head. :)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 12:24:18 AM »

And happy opening night to dear reader Ann.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 12:26:18 AM »

OK... Now that I've heard Juliette Lewis sing the intro for "Raising Victor Vargas" to the run on "I Gotta Bad Case of Lovin' You"...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 12:26:23 AM »

In the UK comedy group "the Wurzels" had a hit with "I've Got A Brand New Combine-Harvester". I guess Melanie Safka was still happy enough to get the royalties. You needed to know that!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 12:38:42 AM »

DR Jed -

"I've got you... under my skin.
I've got you... deep in the heart of me.
So deep in my heart..."

Or how about -

"At first I was afraid,
I was petrified.
Kept thinking I could never live without you
By my side..."

Or how about -

"When you feel sad...
(tap-tap-tap, tap-tap tap-tap tap)
Or under a curse
(tap-tap-tap, tap-tap tap-tap tap)..."

Or even -

"You put your right hand in
You put your right hand out
You put your right hand in
Then you shake it all about.."

-Sorry, Jed... Would you like some cookies? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 12:40:21 AM »

OK - The hook is coming out...

Once again... Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 12:42:28 AM »

Ssshhhh... DR Tomovoz... I won't tell Colin if you won't...

LOL!

"Two sleepy people..."

Well, I'm sleepy...  and punchy apparently...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 01:12:55 AM »

In his notes, BK wrote:

...I must get in my fancy dress and prepare to watch the Oscars...

I have been trying to picture our BK in fancy dress, but cannot decide on the right kind of fabric.  Lame?  Tuille?  Chiffon?  Embroidered silk?

Certainly not gingham!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 01:23:02 AM »

Haha!  You certainly do know your earworms, Jose!  But the bit of Godspell seems to have done the job. :)  I can hear Stephen Nathan singing that line oh so clearly.

That reminds me of the first time I watched The First Nudie Musical.  He started singing "Let 'Em Eat Cake," and it suddenly hit me that it was Jesus singing! :D  I was rather amused.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2004, 05:50:38 AM »

BK,

I believe the Humbert Humbert in LOLITA, MY LOVE is John Neville; what I cannot remember is who played Quilty, and then I confuse this musical with Edward Albee's play and it goes to total hell.  SUR LES QUAIS was always a number I hoped we'd get to on an UNSUNG MUSICALS edition.

I'm having friends over tonight to watch the Oscars so I'm immersed in drastic but need house cleaning.  I let everything slide while I'm working on a project but a party is always a good excuse to straighten things up.  Since I usually miss over half the nominated films, I never have any real thoughts on who should win, but I hope Howard Shore wins for LOTR: Return of the King; I think his inspiration and output for the threee films is quite wonderful: I'm not so hot on the sung material in the films (s) but Howard was on a roll.

I wish all DRs a happy evening with lots of laughs and good company.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

CharlieToft

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2004, 05:59:12 AM »

I don't feel strongly one way or another about any of the Oscar nominated films or performances, and don't plan to watch the show.

The Tonys are another matter entirely! Now THAT will be interesting!
If I tell you what I want and then you do it, it doesn't count because I had to tell you.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 05:59:42 AM »

Last night I posted a late night trivia question and DR S. Woody White  got it almost right. But I am amazed he got as far as he did.  I am reproducing his very late night/early morning post below

Quote from: Michael Shayne on Today at 01:55:35am
Late night trivia question:

What do Robert Redford, George C Scott, Martin Lawrence, Christopher Lee, Paul la Matt all have in common?

Clue: A Movie connection.

It's nothing anatomical

Yeah, yeah, DR Michael, change the question with a clue after I IM'd you a wisecrack.

I've got four of the five, but I'm missing Christopher Lee.

Redford starred in The Hot Rock
Scott starred in Bank Shot
Lawrence starred in What's the Worst That Could Happen?
La Matt starred in Jimmy the Kid

All were based on novels written by Donald Westlake.  (Redford and Scott playing the same character!)

Well he is correct. They all played the same character, Redford and LeMatt played John Archibald Dortmunder but in the film adaptations  for Scott, Lawrence and Lee the characters name were changed but it was still the same guy. I really didn't think anyone would get it that quickly. An Oscar to you!!!

« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 06:01:33 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 06:05:23 AM »

Like I said yesterday I will tape them like I have down the past many years and them rewind them and then fastforward them. I usually can get through the whole show in 45 minutes if I don't stop to watch anything in real time, If I do stop to watch something maybe 1hr to 1 1/12 hrs. It sure beats sitting in front of the tV for 4 hrs plus!!
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 06:05:52 AM »

Mawnin' y'all. I've been rather incommunicado for the past several days, and finally have an opportunity to check in. (My hostess is in the shower... so I'm catching a quick internet fix).

Another lovely sunny day here in NYC. I've had a wonderful visit with some old friends, some whom I've known for decades. Today I wind up this trip, and head back to Bristol PA this evening to pick up my Stuff, then load into the ol' Nissan Pathfinder with my companion of many years (long story, there...) and drive back to LA.

Two nights ago I saw the Hugh Jackman piece - The Boy from Oz. Uneven, but a heck of a good time. he's terrific, the Judy and Liza characters are scary-good, the music is mostly swell, there is a little boy of about 11 or so who knocks yer socks off, the singing is top notch, lots of sequins and ostrich feathers... so my evening was made!

Also went to Marie's Crisis Cafe for piano bar... do y'all know this place???? Hundreds of people standing around a piano, down in the basement of a Revolutionary War building, singing their lungs out - every word of every verse of every song of every show that's ever played New York. Lots of drunken camaraderie. Oh, my! Little Pen in Heaven.

So have a wonderful day, wherever y'are. I will. Sorry I won't be there for BK's party tonight, but my heart is there!
PennyO

Michael

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 06:07:04 AM »

BK,

I believe the Humbert Humbert in LOLITA, MY LOVE is John Neville; what I cannot remember is who played Quilty, and then I confuse this musical with Edward Albee's play and it goes to total hell.  SUR LES QUAIS was always a number I hoped we'd get to on an UNSUNG MUSICALS edition

Could it be the late Leonard Frey?
I think Ben Bagley recorded it for his Alan Jay Lerner Revisted album and I believe Dorothy Loudon recorded it. Without pulling out the cd I believe there was another recorded as well.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 06:22:25 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2004, 06:09:37 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2004, 06:11:43 AM »

Good morning all!!

Unless someone here is up for something, Oscar night means little to me.  I won't be watching it.  I don't even know who is up for what award.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2004, 06:20:35 AM »

Sunday, Sweet Sunday - oh a R/H reference!

Off to rehearsal again....Act One is finished....on to Act Two!  AND our conveyer belt arrives on Monday.  Tech director said shortest conveyer available is 10 feet long.....and after I thought about it...otherwise what's the point....just hand it to the next guy!!!

I enjoy watching the Oscars!  Seeing all the people....SOME of the jokes....it always DOES seem to be extended.  All of those dumb speeches and jokes and introductions and then the winners only get a certain amount of time.  I say cut all the other stuff and let THEM talk...unless of course....as Raquel Welch said before co-announcing the Best Actress Oscar (don't ask me why she was there):  "I hope she doesn't have a cause!"

THE MOVIE GAME was also hosted by Sonny Fox...maybe in the second season.  I remember that Earl Holliman and Burt Reynolds were great players....but people like Kathryn Grayson and Shelley Winters were hopeless.

Shelley stopped Larry dead in his tracks when she suddenly exclaimed:  "Oh you're married to Carol that beautiful dancer."  Larry then said after a moment....."WAS married.....was!"  Carol of course was dead.

And Vera Miles interrupted the game to tell us that she had been cast in HOUSE OF WAX on Friday and then on Monday when she went into work, she was out and Phyllis Kirk was in.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2004, 06:25:35 AM »

JR, I think there must have been two different Movie Games.  The Blyden one only lasted one season and was broadcast either the 1967-68 or 1968-69 season (possibly 1969-70, but no later than that).  It was a pretty low-tech affair.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2004, 06:32:00 AM »

but people like Kathryn Grayson and Shelley Winters were hopeless.

Shelley stopped Larry dead in his tracks when she suddenly exclaimed:  "Oh you're married to Carol that beautiful dancer."  Larry then said after a moment....."WAS married.....was!"  Carol of course was dead.

Shelley does that alot. There is a classic moment from the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson where Ms Winters did a similar thing. She was the first guest so by this time she was on the couch. The next guest was Annie Potts. In the middle of the interview. Shelley says that she is a good actress and that she looks familar. Annie reminds her that they did a movie together called King of the Gypsies where they mother/daughter and reminds her of the graveyard scene where they stood next to each other.

Some people have short term memory problems I thin Shelly Winters has long term memory problems.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2004, 06:32:30 AM »

I confess I noticed this on another board but it made me think of a question for here.

Happy Sadie Hawkin's Day!  Ladies, today is the day we can ask the guys to marry us!  So who would you ask and why?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2004, 06:35:43 AM »

Ok let's settle The Movie Game Hosting questions once and for all

Jack Narz was the host for the pilot
Sonny Fox was the host from Sept-Dec 1969
Larry Blyden was the host from Dec 1969-Feb 1972

Columnist Army Archerd was the assistant throughout the run

Johnny Gilbert was the announcer
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2004, 06:39:57 AM »

Good morning, all!

just a quick little question, which should be easily answered:

Is there a connection between DR. Michael D. Shayne and Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2004, 06:50:55 AM »

Good morning, all!

just a quick little question, which should be easily answered:

Is there a connection between DR. Michael D. Shayne and Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO?

I wasn't born when the movie was made. So please tell me

Okay I looked it up. We don't talk about Konstantin Shayne because he had a sex change and became Tamara Shayne. Although they claimed to be brother and sister they weren't. They were the same person. And strangley enough he/she continued to work under both names!!!!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 07:01:42 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2004, 07:03:56 AM »

Wait! are you saying that YOU and Konstantin BOTH have had sex change operations? ? ? ?  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2004, 07:06:40 AM »

Good morning all. Still trying to catch up on yesterday's posts.

I love watching the Oscars. My favorite part though has to be what everyone is WEARING!

Did not see Trading Spaces yet from last night. But I did tape it. And I also taped a bit extra so I can see the designers/home owners comments from the show before (the extra footage).

I like Edward and Christie just okay. But I much prefer Vern/Laurie, and even Hildy.

And I also wonder where Vern is!?! I don't think he's been on a single episode this season. :(

Michael

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2004, 07:10:39 AM »

Wait! are you saying that YOU and Konstantin BOTH have had sex change operations? ? ? ?  ;)

I thought you meant the same last name.

But then again regarding the sex thing I haven't had anythng to do with it for the last few years.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up