Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OSCAR WILD PARTY  (Read 32366 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE OSCAR WILD PARTY
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2004, 11:46:35 AM »

I always try to catch the Oscars when they air, although I have rarely seen any of the films that are up for awards. FINDING NEMO is the only one this round that I have seen, I think.

The Oscars always entertain me regardless and I watch whilst ironing clothes! LOL!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2004, 11:47:10 AM »

As if the gowns some of the women wear to the Oscars are any less--you should pardon the expression--titillating than Miss Jackson's exposed breast.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 11:48:27 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2004, 12:02:36 PM »

Re:  The Movie Game.  Well, I guess I was the one with long-term memory issues, though in my defense I think it only ran for one year in Seattle, and that was with Blyden as host.

Hey....you all look familiar.  Don't I know y'all from somewhere?   ???
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2004, 12:11:01 PM »

Ann-GOOD LUCK!

George, have fun at the concert.

TD, are you adopted? ???
Not only were Keith's grandparents husband and wife, they were also 1st & 2nd cousins to each other.  Our sons are not only brothers, but 4th, 5th & 20th cousins to one another.  Keith is relieved to know is mother is only his mother. :D

Jed what a story!  Please do let us know how the meetings with the new relatives turn out.  Best of luck.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2004, 12:18:24 PM »

I confess I noticed this on another board but it made me think of a question for here.

Happy Sadie Hawkin's Day!  Ladies, today is the day we can ask the guys to marry us!  So who would you ask and why?

Keith of course, but he asked me first. :)

Jane

« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2004, 12:29:29 PM »

Robin Anderson GOOD VIBES FOR A CLEAR HEAD!

Matt H you are so right, Roddy McDowall should have received a juvenile Oscar.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2004, 12:37:25 PM »

No matter what any doctor says, reading in bed is a GOOD thing. IMO, there's only one other activity in that particular location that's better. But with a book there are no complications in the morning.

I don't know what you're talking about, DR Panni.  Once - and I'm a little groggy about the details - I went to bed with a book and the next morning - I can't explain how - I was finding bits of binding, pages and a dust-jacket in the oddest parts of my thighs.  :o
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2004, 12:50:31 PM »

Jrand53.

Burt Reynolds apparently is pretty good at movie trivia.  One day I'm working at home and I get a call from my pal Larry Drake.  He's calling from the set of Mr. Bean where he and Reynolds have been passing the time, playing movie trivia.  A disputed question about Lon McCallister has come up and Larry has called me to provide the definitive answer (this sort of thing happens frequently... getting called to settle bar bets and trivia questions on movies, simply because people know that if I don't know the answer, I probably have a book somewhere that has the answer in it).  Anyway, I settle the dispute...in Larry's favour, as I remember, providing the correct answer.

I'd like to do a masters Silver Screen Trivial Pursuit with me, Drake, Reynolds, and Kimmel sometime...the first version of Silver Screen...not any of this Johnny-Come-Lately stuff from the eighties and nineties which I can barely remember once I've left the theatre. I want questions where the answer is something like Roscoe Ates or Una O' Connor.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2004, 12:56:11 PM »

Extract from a letter to a Congressman and the Speaker of the House:
...I thought I would remind the body of the biblical principles they are talking about....
...Secondly, marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines in addition to his wife or wives....
Uh, right, like any Congressman needs to be reminded of THIS?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2004, 01:11:14 PM »

No. We get it here at the ungodly hour of 5:30 -- so we'll all be watching together. Let's sing:l"It's a small world after alll..."

Yes, and when it goes off, it'll be an UNGODLY hour on the East Coast. There are always tradeoffs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2004, 01:15:13 PM »

TD, are you adopted? ???

from the moment i was born :)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2004, 01:18:29 PM »

Poor Roddy never had any luck with the Oscars. He was the odds-on favorite to win Best Supporting Actor for CLEOPATRA, but a clerical error left the "Supporting" off his entry, and he was mistakenly entered in the Best Actor category which he had NO chance of gaining a nomination in. Seems like Fox or the producer or someone took out a full page ad apologizing to him, but the damage was done.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2004, 01:19:05 PM »

DerBrucer, I cut and pasted the "marriage according to the Bible" thingy.  It's hysterical.  Thanks!

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

td

• td
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2004, 01:20:01 PM »

DerBrucer, I cut and pasted the "marriage according to the Bible" thingy.  It's hysterical.  Thanks!

. . .and if you read the posts from February 25th, you'll notice that td beat DerBrucer to it :)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2004, 01:20:33 PM »

In his notes, BK wrote:

...I must get in my fancy dress and prepare to watch the Oscars...

I have been trying to picture our BK in fancy dress, but cannot decide on the right kind of fabric.  Lame?  Tuille?  Chiffon?  Embroidered silk?

Certainly not gingham!

;D

Nahhh.  It's green velvet....actually, he was walking down the stairs, saw it in the window...and HAD to have it!

It's a bit wide in the shoulders, has gold fringe, and it's VERY fancy!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 01:21:58 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2004, 01:51:30 PM »

Good afternoon!

And the weather is glorious!  And I did get my two mile run in this afternoon - and crunches and push-ups (ugh!)!  And I think I'm going to head out again and take a walk up to school - maybe snap some pics with the disposable B&W camera I bought for my trip to NYC - which I never used in NYC.

And best of all, as I'm finishing my cool down, I turn to the local public access channel that broadcast that ARTS network program stuff, and the clip from The Rake's Progess comes on with Dawn Upshaw singing "No word from Tom... I go, I go to him...".  I'm a very happy camper right now.   :D

Hey, RLP... I believe you're talking about my green dress!  It's mine, mine, mine!!  >:(

Hmm... Maybe I'll finally post that pic of me from a few Halloweens ago... I called her "Imelda in Exile".

Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2004, 02:13:48 PM »

You people are crazy.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2004, 02:15:55 PM »

Here's a movie trivia question for DR CP....and I will begin with an easy one:

In separate films, this actress played the mother of Robert Wagner, Lizabeth Scott, and by proxy David Nelson.  Who is she?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2004, 02:33:11 PM »

JRand53,

So I guess your angling for an invite to the table for the Super-Bowl of Movie Trivia.  I don't have the time to check your question out right now, but you start with David Nelson...who did the fewest films...and go from there...But you're already into the fifties and sixties with Wagner and Nelson and I really am a thirties and forties guy...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: February 29, 2004, 02:41:23 PM »

LOL good thinking.....

William E. Lurie

« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2004, 02:57:48 PM »

My sick computer has been healed.  We've been having a lot of trouble with the computer all week and I had been able to read and post only from work, but after a lot of re-installing and one call to a technical service person who didn't treat me like an idiot and knew what he was doing we are back on line.  We also installed a cordless mouse so that the cord doesn't get stuck in the keyboard tray or the desk drawer any more.

I have not seen any Oscar® numinees except one anumated feature (BELLVILLE), one animated short (DESTINO) and 2 songs (BELLVILLE & A MIGHTY WIND) so I am not going to bother to watch them live.  We'll tape them and about 2 and a half hours into them stweitch the taping to a second machine while zapping through most of the first part and then zap through the second part.  The amazing thing is that not only have we seen any of the major nominations, we have no desire to see them.  Give me the classics any day.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2004, 02:59:03 PM »

Sorry for the typos.  I think faster than I type.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »

Oscar pre-show bash in just over an hour.  

Jed

« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2004, 03:50:44 PM »

I thought it was Oscar night where we had our insanely busy posting fest last year, not Tony night.  I think this because we all see the Oscars at the same time (non-North American Hainsies/Kimlets excluded, of course), while we west coasters have the Tonys on the dreaded three-hour delay.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2004, 03:52:34 PM »

Surely you saw FINDING NEMO, WEL, because I remember after you saw THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE, you discussed how much better it was than NEMO and how much you wished for it to receive recognition.

I will eventually see most of tonight's nominated films, but at this point, I've seen only a few. With the advent of DVDs, STARZ, and elaborate home theaters, going to the movies seems less necessary. Yes, I understand how movies are meant to be a shared experience, but I find that I do just fine solo.

I still find it very interesting to keep up with all the major releases through the internet and entertainment publications, but the anxiousness I once felt to see releases as soon as I could has completely left me.

Jed

« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2004, 03:55:48 PM »

Of all the movies nominated for various stuff this year, I've seen only Mystic River, A Mighty Wind, Finding Nemo, and Pirates of the Caribbean.  Still, I'll most likely be watching the Oscars, simply because it would just seem odd not to do so after all these years. :)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2004, 04:02:04 PM »

As always my favourite awards are the "songs". After last year's win I am not prepared to hazard a guess.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2004, 04:02:19 PM »

Gary Ross & his wife look great!

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: February 29, 2004, 04:04:39 PM »

I have only missed one Oscars since I was old enough to stay up to watch. My lover and I went to a national tour of 42nd STREET and rushed home to see the Oscars. (I think the Oscars started that year at 10.) I'd speed back through the videotape during the commercials. That was a year where there were some great surprises: Kevin Kline winning supporting actor is one that particularly took me by surprise.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: February 29, 2004, 04:05:54 PM »

Is this the year for shirts and ties and NOT a tuxedo or dinner jacket....I didn't get my booklet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up