Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIRTHDAY BOY  (Read 29115 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE BIRTHDAY BOY
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2008, 07:53:33 AM »

Happy Natal Day, BK.

TOD:  A&M released a specialty record for Goodrich Tires the Christmas of either 1968 or 1969 entitled "Something Festive," which contains a delightful bossa nova version of "Chestnuts" by Sergio & B66, with a gorgeous Richard Hazard orchestration.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »

Good morning, everyone.
All that work on my desk will just have to wait a bit, as I pop in for a moment at HHW.

It's a good thing you didn't get too pooped with work to pop in.  It's never fun to be too pooped to pop.

I quite agree, Ron. I didn't want to be a poop-out today.

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »

Is "Chestnuts" just called The Christmas Song? 

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »

Another weird occurrence. A week or so ago, I received and reviewed the Blu-ray of BOTTLE ROCKET from Criterion. The regular DVD release was slated to come out in November, but I never received it and never made any stink about not getting it since I (1) knew I'd eventually review the disc on Blu-ray, and (2) was so swamped with other discs in early November that I welcomed not having another disc in the stack.

Well, this morning the UPS truck drops off a package. I'm thinking it's either that Disney Blu-ray of THE CHEETAH GIRLS or some upcoming Paramount releases for later in the month: THE DUCHESS, GHOST TOWN, THE TUDORS-Season 2.

And I open the package, and it's the DVD release of BOTTLE ROCKET, just about a month late.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:24 AM »

Happy Birthday, BK.

Just think...in another 4-5 years you'll qualify for Social Security and Medicare.

::)
You can dream…or you can do.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 07:56:31 AM »

CONGRATS to DR PENNYO on finding a job with such a perfect fit!

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »

So today I'll rewatch BOTTLE ROCKET in regular DVD. Thankfully, the bonus features are already watched, so I should be able to knock out this release this afternoon and still have the evening free to watch what I want, especially since I won't have CHUCK and HEROES to watch until tomorrow.

Cillaliz

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »

Is "Chestnuts" just called The Christmas Song? 

Yes it is...I know I"m talking to myself but I do that all the time....Here's Nat King Cole"s version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oj3jixMGaw

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2008, 07:57:36 AM »

VIBES to DR VIXMOM on her journey to better health!

JMK

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2008, 07:58:07 AM »

I said Chestnuts so that it was easily identifiable, and it is in fact the parenthetical subtitle of the song in every published version I have.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2008, 07:58:58 AM »

Yesterday I mentioned the weird business with my HD-DVD player. I really bugged me all night long, so I decided to fiddle with it a bit when I went back downstairs last night.

Long story short: I unplugged the machine, plugged it in again, and the remote (and my universal remote) worked perfectly with it.

I'm thinking that's my cue to watch something on HD-DVD tonight. It will be either DAYLIGHT, THE THING, BABEL, or U-571.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2008, 07:59:42 AM »

We should learn more today about my buyers' state of mine, ie, the results of the appraisal and their "adjustments" to our original contract. Oy! No, I did not sleep well last night.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:22 AM »

Thanks to all of you who sent vibes for my home sale.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2008, 08:01:05 AM »

Favorite Christmas song:

Religious: "Do You Hear What I Hear?" by Bing Crosby, absolutely my all-time favorite holiday song.

Secular : "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams (I know someone here was disparaging this song the other day, but I love it.)

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2008, 08:01:05 AM »

Then there's "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqIM_bPTws

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2008, 08:02:04 AM »

Well, I'd better tackle that pile of papers on my desk.

TTFN.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2008, 08:03:22 AM »

The Smoke House brings back memories...

Specifically of the scandalously orange cheese bread...

And proper Shirley Temples, made with grenedine (not with the syrup from the cherry jar that stored the garnish for so many other drinks, that would be cheating)...

And Grampa flirting with the waitress while Grandma sat next to him, shaking her head and quietly chuckling.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2008, 08:04:25 AM »

RE bk's comments on the WHITE CHRISTMAS transfer.

I've been yammering for a new transfer FOR YEARS. Paramount put the old transfer in a new case a couple of years ago, but I believe it's the same transfer with the same extras.

I can still watch it with great pleasure, but imagine how fabulous it would look on Blu-ray! But even an update on DVD (a la FUNNY FACE) would be a vast improvement.

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2008, 08:04:28 AM »

I better get ready for court....by for now...Hope you have a fabulous day, BK

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2008, 08:05:10 AM »

DR Jeanne....MEGA VIBES FOR GOOD HOME SALE NEWS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kerry

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »

TOD:

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"  the vesrions  by Judy Garland, Marlne Ver Planck,  Liz Callaway, and the version Larry arranged)

"Jingle Bells" (the Bing Crosby.Andrews Sisters version)

A Scottish Carol by Richard Purvis

Peggy Lee's versions of "A Christmas Waltz," "White Christmas," and "The Star Carol"

Bing Crosby's original version of "White Christmas" from "Holiday Inn"

"Christmas Time is Here" by Vince Guraldi  (the choral version, the instrumental version and a version by Rosemary Clooney that reduces me to a puddle)

"Candles in the Window" and "Star of Wonder"  (the big John Williams' versions)

Jonny Mandel's arrangement of "Angels We Have Heard On High" for the Manhattan Transfer-- goosebumps everytime

"Skating"  from  A Charlie Brown Christnas

"Snow" and Count Your Blessings"

"I yust Go Nuts at Chrstmas"

Lyn Larsen's  arrangement of "We Three Kings" and "Joy to the World"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:11:18 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:10 AM »

Speaking of "pooped", I'm "whupt."  Yes, that's right.  I am dragging tail today.

It was a lo-n-n-n-n-n-g weekend for me, starting with my day off on Friday.

Friday was "supposed to be" the day I rid myself of unneeded electronics devices in my home, as well as some bits of furnishings that supported said electronics (i.e. old TV stand, etc.).

Instead, due to the unfortunate shattered safety glass on my FedEx-delivered TV stand from CostCo, I had to return said TV stand (all 125 pounds of it) to CostCo on Friday.  My hope was that the store I went to would have the stand in stock.

One of the benefits of being an "Executive Member" of CostCo is that you get to start shopping an hour earlier than the hoi and the polloi.  Of course, you have to pay double for that luxury, but I find it's worth it in order to get things done as quickly as possible and get on with my life.  Otherwise, CostCo can eat up the better part of a day.

I left my comfortable condo Friday a.m., with shattered-safety-glass-afflicted-TV Stand in my trunk area (the trunk extends well into the car because I can fold down my back seats).  (I drive a Ford Probe if that helps anyone visualize the situation).  I arrived at CostCo 30 minutes before its "early" opening of 10 a.m.   

Happily, I had stopped at "La Farine" bakery to see what goodies might tide me over the morning and discovered they had introduced ham and cheese puff pastry sandwiches.  Oh, YUM!  I then went to Peet's for my triple-shot latte.  So, I sat in my car and had brekkies as cars continued to arrive and fill all the spaces nearest the store.  I conveniently parked next to a cart return area as it affords a bit of extra room for getting/loading large objects in or out of my trunk.

Finished with my repast, I got one of the store's large flatbed carts, and then I unloaded the TV stand package onto the cart.  Getting it out of the car was far more difficult than getting it in.  That's due to "leverage".  Putting it in, I could position the package against the car and lift it from the bottom using the car as a lever to slide/push the package into the trunk.  Getting it out, I had to do a dead lift and then pull hard to get it back over the edge of the trunk before I could repeat the "lever" process.

I was pushing the flatbed toward the store when the doors opened and a man walked out and announced that the store would not open for an hour because they had broken a water pipe.  Folks began returning to their cars and driving away.  I parked my flatbed in front of the store and found a concrete ledge on which to sit.

That all happened around 9:55 a.m.  The store opened at 11:25 a.m.

Once at the returns counter, I was informed that my particular TV stand was ONLY OFFERED ONLINE.  I pointed out that the packing was not conducive to shipping as all the glass was packaged on one side with really inadequate protection.  Nevertheless, shipping was the only way one could get an item-for-item replacement.  They did have, however, similar stands in the store if I cared to shop for one.  A refund was duly instated onto my credit card and I was off and running.

I did, indeed, find ONE (count it, 1) TV stand in the store.  By one, I mean one brand.  They had several of this one brand in stock, all identical.  It looked sleek, it had the mount I wanted, and it seemed sizable enough to hold the components I hoped it would hold.  It was a tad wider (by 9") than the one I'd ordered, though, and the shelves were curved rather than rectangular.

I loaded it onto a flatbed and then proceeded to do a bit more shopping.  I was out of the store and back home by 1 p.m.

Today may be BK's 61st birthday, and BK may possess buns of steel and abs of granite, but I am not prone to long jogs and stationary bicycle rides.  My 60-year-old carcass was exhausted upon arrival at home.  I had been wrestling with that "other" TV stand package for two days and now I had one more to unload and get upstairs and, hopefully, assembled with little to no difficulty.

Everything was in perfect condition as I unpacked the box.  The "hardware packet" for "Stand Assembly" and "Mount Assembly" was a bit forbidding.  I soon learned, after laying out a large white towel and placing all the hardware packets into an assembly line that matched the illustration in an accompanying book, that most of the hardware would not be used.  There was hardware for the "3-in-1" assembly...one stand that could be used three different ways.  Of course, the way I wanted was the one with the widest range of parts, but there it is.  As usual.  Story of my life.

(End Part I -- Part 2 anon)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:10:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »

I've mentioned them before (and I know Larry hates their arranger), but First Call's two Christmas albums are incredibly incredible.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2008, 08:21:29 AM »

I just uploaded a new photo.

How do I make it larger?

You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2008, 08:21:38 AM »

Vibes for DR VIX MOM.

Vibes for DR JEANNE.

Congrats to DR PENNY O on her audition and return to the wearin' of the green.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2008, 08:22:11 AM »

Glad the remote issue was resolved so easily, DR MATTH.....strange how those things work or don't work and then work again....reboot.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2008, 08:26:58 AM »

Glad the remote issue was resolved so easily, DR MATTH.....strange how those things work or don't work and then work again....reboot.

That is often the answer to problems involving electronics, but for some reason, it's usually the LAST thing I think about doing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2008, 08:27:37 AM »

...My only memory of her from the Proposition 6 ugliness was the slogan ANITA BRYANT LIKE ANITA HOLE IN THE HEAD. Was that in Maupin's Tales of the City?
No.  Maupin has always had more class than to write something like that.  Instead, he wrote "Letter to Mama" as part of More Tales of the City, which included the following:

"These aren't radicals or wierdos, Mama.  They are shop clerks and bankers and little old ladies and people who nod and smile to you when you meet them on the bus.  Their attitude is neither patronizing nor pitying.  And their message is simple:  Yes, you are a person.  Yes, I like you.  Yes, it's all right for you to like me too."

Words I've tried to live by.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2008, 08:27:40 AM »

(Part 2, continued from Part 1)

I decided next I'd need a nap before tackling the job, so I lay down for two hours.  Upon arising, I was ready and willing and able to plow ahead.

I was determined to do everything correctly and in the proper order because this TV stand was going to hold my plasma HDTV and my invaluable (to me) components.  It just would not do to rush through it and get something wrong.  Oh, no.  It would not do.

Several hours later, I had most of the stand assembled.  I'd still have to mount brackets on my TV...and unplug all my components...and move them...and then figure a way to position the new stand in front of the old stand and then lift the 37-inch hdtv onto the new TV mount.  I decided it could wait until morning.  I had to rest.  I had to have a little something to eat (it was nearly 10 p.m. and I'd had eaten nothing since my little ham & cheese puff pastry sandwich 12 hours earlier).  I ate a turkey sammich.  I watched TV until 11 p.m., and then I went to bed.

For whatever reason, I found sleep difficult after 5:30 a.m.  I was still exhausted, but sleep would not linger for me.  I managed to stay abed until about 7:30 and then got up and made coffee. 

I glared at the scene in my living room.  This was not the way I'd envisioned the weekend going, but I was determined to finish this project as quickly as possible.

Everything was unplugged.  I removed each component separately, gave each a good dusting and carefully placed all the cords/cables in one location so that I knew where they all were and what they went to.  I then mounted brackets onto the back of my TV.  Finally, I lifted the TV onto the new TV stand's mount.  Ta and Da.

I had another hour of adjustments and futzing and putzing with this, that and the other, including putting the glass shelving into place and loading in the components.  When I began hooking things up, I quickly encountered an "Uh...OH!

There are several positions one can use to mount brackets on the back of a TV.  I had chosen the one that made it impossible for me to access a couple of key inputs (HDMI ports).  TV had to come down and brackets had to be redone.  I tried several different positions.  I tried using spacers provided.  I did a whole bunch of stuff.  And after much time had been expended wastefully, I settled on the best solution.

Needless to say, I've bored you with all of this to primarily get to one point:  I put together my new TV stand and I'm just as pleased as punch about it.  I don't know if "punch" is the kind you drink or if the phrase refers to "Punch" in "Punch and Judy".  Whichever the case, I'm pleased.  And I'm going to post a picture if one will post.

All of this transpired well into the afternoon on Saturday.  Saturday evening, I began "catching up" on the programming in my DVR cache of shows I'd not watched last week. 

And yesterday....well, yesterday was a day.  It was the day before the GSA Annual Holiday Pot Luck.  I've missed this event the past two years because it was being scheduled during my vacation (usually after Dec. 15th).  For whatever reason, they chose Dec. 8th for this year's pot luck and I signed up to do a few things.

Yesterday, I baked two deep-dish coconut custard pies.  They turned out BEAUTIFULLY.  I also prepared a sweet potato souffle that is GORGEOUSITY.  It's in a 9 X 13 Pyrex baking dish and is covered with a brown sugar-pecan coating that looks too yummy for words.

And then...then I prepared two large batches of green beans with red potatoes.  Oh, yes...I was cooking ALL DAY LONG.

I was done by 8 p.m. and ready to settle in for my ABC shows at 9 and 10, but the Sandman slapped me silly and I was in bed by 9:30.

So...here I sit at work.  My sweet potato souffle is sitting on top of a file cabinet.  My pies and green beans/potatoes are in a cart behind me.  Today will be a GREAT DAY. 

I hope I'll have the energy to enjoy it!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:52:14 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »

I just uploaded a new photo.

How do I make it larger?

I don't think anyone has figured that out yet. THose of us with larger pictures are using older ones that were already on file with the site.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up