Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A WEIRD SORT OF MOOD  (Read 37798 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: A WEIRD SORT OF MOOD
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:15 AM »

Well, to each his own. Sure EAGLE EYE has an outrageous premise, but as a stop-your-brain, popcorn movie guilty pleasure, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Sorry bk and DR Druxy didn't.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »

Page Three Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2009, 07:42:27 AM »

Today I'll be working on the regular DVD of EL NORTE. I reviewed the Blu-ray version some weeks ago, so this will be an easy assignment since I won't have to rewatch all of the supplements. Just check them to see if they're present and in what format. Then, I can just sit and enjoy this most compelling movie once again.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

CBS - comedies, CRIMINAL MINDS, CSI: NY
NBC - KNIGHT RIDER, SVU (rerun), LAW & ORDER
ABC - LOST (three hour Season 4 finale episodes rerun)
FOX - AMERICAN IDOL (two hours)
PBS - MAKE 'EM LAUGH
FX   - DAMAGES

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm about to head up to DC.  Finally.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2009, 08:04:14 AM »

Vibes to all and sundry!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2009, 08:04:31 AM »

-But it was nice to get a good night's sleep. That is, it was nice to finally fall asleep after I had finished planning my itinerary for today. Well, I didn't get all of it mapped out, but I have a two hour drive to work the rest of the details out. Anyhoo...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »

-What DR MBarnum said... ;)

~~~~~VIBES ALL AROUND!!!~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:56 AM »

OH!

DR JRand - I believe the new Potzie (sp?) will be starting his second week of the tour of Happy Days at Clowes Hall.  Good guy.  -And he literally closed Hairspray on the 4th, then flew to wherever they flew him too - I want to say Milwaukee - to start rehearsals on the 5th, and was put into the show a week later.  WHEW!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2009, 08:10:14 AM »

OK... Time for me to finish getting ready here for my trip up north. I was able to arrange to have dinner with a dear, dear friend from high school tonight - I am soooo excited about that.  And then after that, I shall be heading to Good Stuff Eatery in DC for a "Top Chef" viewing and Twittering session with Spike from Season 4 of "Top Chef". Good Stuff Eatery is Spike's new burger joint.  *And I find it very interesting that Richard Blais - who may be familiar to DR Edisaurus - also opened a burger joint, "Flip", in his old stomping grounds of Atlanta post-"Top Chef", and he's currently scouting for a second location.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2009, 08:10:32 AM »

Good morning, DR JoseSPiano.

Have you heard of a bakery called CRUMBS Bake Shop?  I believe they are in Manhattan, but starting to branch out into Connecticut.

In any case, my boss's boss brought in some cupcakes from said shop this morning.  They were HUGE and pretty magnificent.   :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »

But I digressed...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »

Good morning, DR JoseSPiano.

Have you heard of a bakery called CRUMBS Bake Shop?  I believe they are in Manhattan, but starting to branch out into Connecticut.

In any case, my boss's boss brought in some cupcakes from said shop this morning.  They were HUGE and pretty magnificent.   :)

Umm... Do I know CRUMBS?

YES!!!!!!

-And, yes, those are some BIG cupcakes!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2009, 08:12:42 AM »

*There's a Crumbs Bakeshop just two blocks away from Levain.  Just FYI.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »

those are some BIG cupcakes!

And that is NOT a euphemism!!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2009, 08:13:33 AM »

Shower helped a little, I'm thinking coffee well help a lot.  I'm off this morning to have coffee with a perspective employee.  When I inherited my church job (in 2005), I also inherited a trio of "ringers" or "section leaders" for the "adult choir".  When they were hired, (before my time) they were students at the SF Conservatory of Music.  Anyhow, in November the baritone told me that he was moving to LA the weekend after Christmas to live with his GF and to work at some video game company.  That was great news for me because frankly, he was a handful and myself and the soprano and alto will be glad to be rid of him.  So, I began my search to find someone to replace him.  Anyhow, I did... however, he's STILL HERE!!  He hasn't left yet and his excuse is, "the job hasn't called me yet, but I heard they will - I'll let you know" 

So, he hasn't left, I meeting with someone to take his place today - who I REALLY want in as soon as possible, but I'm stuck until he officially leaves.  IF he leaves.   He was SO certain he was going that the choir (who loves him, of course) threw him a going away party at one of the rehearsals before Christmas.  So there you have it.  Happy Wednesday!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:16:12 AM by Matthew »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2009, 08:16:37 AM »

Druxy - Thanks so much for the useful insights about parody; it really got me reading.  Since my lawyering experience is limited to tax (law school was over 25 years ago for me), I didn't know a lot of this stuff about where the parody rules have developed over the past decade(s).

If anyone's interested, some fascinating (even surprising, to me) developments are recounted in this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

I've always believed -- and had my suspicions borne out, as it were -- that when the National Football League began going for parity as it authorized new franchises and attempted to even the "playing field", as such, by restricting what teams can pay their players, that the end result would be parody.

Given that it used to take 2 1/2 hours to watch a 60-minute game and that it now takes 4-plus hours to watch a 60-minute game, I think "parody" is the direct result of "parity."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:21:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2009, 08:17:24 AM »

PAGE THREE CRUMBS DANCE!!!!

CRUMBS BAKESHOP
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 08:18:20 AM »

That's unfortunate, DR Matthew.  I have a job in a church as a section leader, but we are given new, written contracts every year - and they are NOT open-ended!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 08:18:32 AM »

OK.. In the immortal words of DR MattH - Now I'm really going!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2009, 08:19:48 AM »

And they are replaying the last 3 episodes of LOST before the premiere. i am definitely going to record this because truthfully without looking it up i have no idea what happened at the end of last season.

Since I reviewed the Blu-ray edition of Season 4 last month, I won't need to watch this, but if I hadn't, I would definitely have needed a refresher on all of the events squeezed into those last three hours of last season. When I watched it for review purposes, I couldn't believe how much I had forgotten.

The question that is begged here is whether this re-airing will also feature the wonderful pop-up factoids that tie all the seasons together.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DAW

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »

DR FJLs parodies are fully parity-compliant.  And they're even filled with pear-ity.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »

PAGE THREE CRUMBS DANCE!!!!

CRUMBS BAKESHOP

Like you would EVER leave crumbs!   LOL!

DAW

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »

DR Matt H - do you know when the Lost episodes with the pop-up factoids began appearing as bonus extras on the box sets?  I don't think we have them going back all the way to the first episode, correct?

And even in the more recent seasons, pop-ups were not created for ALL episodes, correct?

DAW

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2009, 08:24:04 AM »

Like you would EVER leave crumbs!   LOL!

:)

Well, that very cupcake was in our assortment this morning, and I can assure you that no CRUMBS were indeed left!  :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »

Shower helped a little, I'm thinking coffee well help a lot.  I'm off this morning to have coffee with a perspective employee.  When I inherited my church job (in 2005), I also inherited a trio of "ringers" or "section leaders" for the "adult choir".  When they were hired, (before my time) they were students at the SF Conservatory of Music.  Anyhow, in November the baritone told me that he was moving to LA the weekend after Christmas to live with his GF and to work at some video game company.  That was great news for me because frankly, he was a handful and myself and the soprano and alto will be glad to be rid of him.  So, I began my search to find someone to replace him.  Anyhow, I did... however, he's STILL HERE!!  He hasn't left yet and his excuse is, "the job hasn't called me yet, but I heard they will - I'll let you know" 

So, he hasn't left, I meeting with someone to take his place today - who I REALLY want in as soon as possible, but I'm stuck until he officially leaves.  IF he leaves.   He was SO certain he was going that the choir (who loves him, of course) threw him a going away party at one of the rehearsals before Christmas.  So there you have it.  Happy Wednesday!

Kill the son-of-a-bitch!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »

DR Matt H - do you know when the Lost episodes with the pop-up factoids began appearing as bonus extras on the box sets?  I don't think we have them going back all the way to the first episode, correct?

And even in the more recent seasons, pop-ups were not created for ALL episodes, correct?

The pop-ups have not been included on the DVD or Blu-ray sets (foolishly, I think). I don't think they've done pop-ups for every network broadcast episode either, but I'm not sure about that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »

Well, to each his own. Sure EAGLE EYE has an outrageous premise, but as a stop-your-brain, popcorn movie guilty pleasure, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Sorry bk and DR Druxy didn't.

When I saw "Disturbia", I don't believe I had any idea it had, as an inspiration, "Rear Window."  Had I known, I doubt I'd have gone into it expecting anything remotely like what Hitchcock had wrought.  On its own, it has a great deal of tension and some captivating performances by young stars-in-the-making, which was obviously the intent.  Is it "a patch" on Hitchock?  No, of course not.  But then why should anyone expect it to be?

I haven't yet seen "Eagle Eye", but I will as soon as it hits pay cable.  I will not, for one moment, ever think, nor will I have ever thought, that anyone involved believed himself or herself to be "remaking" Hitchcock's "North By Northwest."    I would be setting myself up for HUGE disappointment, otherwise, and I know that.

"Disturbia" and "Eagle Eye" are pop cultural cotton candy.  The classics remain exactly as Hitchcock left them...unsurpassed and unsurpassable.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »

Well, I guess I better do some computer maintenance work and then will head down to check the mail and start on fixing lunch.

WBBL.

DAW

« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »

The pop-ups have not been included on the DVD or Blu-ray sets (foolishly, I think).

They'll probably only be included in the entire series box set, requiring us to buy the whole thing over again.   :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up