Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIDAY THE 13TH OR THE THREE HUNDRED POUND ALBANIAN WOMAN  (Read 33624 times)

Ginny

Re: FRIDAY THE 13TH OR THE THREE HUNDRED POUND ALBANIAN WOMAN
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »

DR Vixmom - several years ago, my Christmas present was having the kitchen painted and a new floor installed.  It's beautiful in white, blue, and brushed chrome, but we ran out of money before replacing the countertops.  So the 1960s harvest gold really stands out, but I'm glad we hadn't replaced it before the man who built this house for his family in the '50s came to visit with his now-grown daughter.  The wife/mother had died not long before their visit and when the daughter walked in the kitchen, she gasped and said, "Mom's counters!" and lovingly ran her hands across the icky (to me) surface.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »

I am currently listening to the OLC of Man of La Mancha courtesy of CASTRECL.

I am no one! I'm nothing!
I'm only Aldonza the whore!

Daddy, what's a whore?

der Brucer

Is posting on DVD Talk like tilting with windmills?

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »

The rain has let up briefly so I think I'll head over to Hugo's for some Papa's Eggs and/or Pasta Papa.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »

DR Vixmom - several years ago, my Christmas present was having the kitchen painted and a new floor installed. 

Well, Santa sure had a busy night!

der Brucer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2009, 03:05:01 PM »

vixmom - the really informal reading is next Wednesday night.  Then we're planning on doing a proper staged reading sometime in March.  Just got my "Cindy Williams" - my pal, Heather Lee.  She was on B'way in the Bernadette Gypsy.  She's too old for the part, but the right type - Matt's too old, too, but also the right type, so for the reading they'll be fine.

Oh I am glad you got the people you needed.  Wednesday, wow! That is cutting it really close.

Did you straighten out the potential problem you were having with the school?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2009, 03:07:13 PM »

DR Vixmom - several years ago, my Christmas present was having the kitchen painted and a new floor installed.  It's beautiful in white, blue, and brushed chrome, but we ran out of money before replacing the countertops.  So the 1960s harvest gold really stands out, but I'm glad we hadn't replaced it before the man who built this house for his family in the '50s came to visit with his now-grown daughter.  The wife/mother had died not long before their visit and when the daughter walked in the kitchen, she gasped and said, "Mom's counters!" and lovingly ran her hands across the icky (to me) surface.

That's a nice story!

What color are you thinking about for the countertops?  Do you have any Lowe's near you  or only Home Depot?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »

Daddy, what's a whore?

der Brucer

I may have shared this charming anecdote before, but I learned to read and write phonetically.  When I was in the first grade, we had a "newspaper" (The First Grade Times--I named it meself, guv'nah) where all the kids wrote little articles.  I wrote a little ditty about my Dad's exploits in the war, and how my mom hoped my Dad was never in another war.  Except that I spelled it "whore."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »

LOL JMK!  ;D

vixmom

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2009, 03:14:50 PM »

What kind of floor did you get Ginny?  I know ceramic tile is upposed to be all the rage but I hate mine - it's freezing cold in the winter, if you drop anything on it it breaks into a  million pieces and on top of it mine is as dull as dishwater.

My stove is black with an almond top and my dishwasher is black and my refigerator is almond.  Since the stove is only a couple of years old and the dishwasher was brand new in October and since the refrigerator has not given us a lick of trouble in 17 years I wouldn't want to replace any appliances either (though I know everything is supposed to be stainless these days.

I just want a new ceiling, new floor, those awful tiles gone ( which I know will mean new sheetrock because I am sure the sheetrock will come down with the tile. )

I'd really like new windows too  - all our window are original in this 1955 house.

Maybe it's time to start investing in those Lotto tickets again!     :D

FJL

« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »

"I abhor you."

"How dare you use language like that to your mother?"

(paraphrasing a Ted Baxter reference)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Elmore's DGD Charlotte!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »

Daddy, what's a whore?

der Brucer

I may have shared this charming anecdote before, but I learned to read and write phonetically.  When I was in the first grade, we had a "newspaper" (The First Grade Times--I named it meself, guv'nah) where all the kids wrote little articles.  I wrote a little ditty about my Dad's exploits in the war, and how my mom hoped my Dad was never in another war.  Except that I spelled it "whore."

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »

What kind of floor did you get Ginny?  I know ceramic tile is upposed to be all the rage but I hate mine - it's freezing cold in the winter, if you drop anything on it it breaks into a  million pieces and on top of it mine is as dull as dishwater.

My stove is black with an almond top and my dishwasher is black and my refigerator is almond.  Since the stove is only a couple of years old and the dishwasher was brand new in October and since the refrigerator has not given us a lick of trouble in 17 years I wouldn't want to replace any appliances either (though I know everything is supposed to be stainless these days.

I just want a new ceiling, new floor, those awful tiles gone ( which I know will mean new sheetrock because I am sure the sheetrock will come down with the tile. )

I'd really like new windows too  - all our window are original in this 1955 house.

Or send photos to some of the HGTV shows and maybe they will redo your kitchen for you!

Cillaliz

« Reply #253 on: February 13, 2009, 03:19:17 PM »

Chuck Mangione's Bandmates Die in Fatal Crash
Posted Feb 13th 2009 1:10PM by TMZ Staff

Two members of Chuck Mangione's band were among those who died in the plane crash in Buffalo last night.

A publicist for the famous jazz musician identified the band members as Gerry Niewood and Coleman Mellett. Through a rep, Mangione said, "I'm in shock over the horrible, heartbreaking tragedy."

The band was supposed to play a show in Buffalo tonight. That show has been canceled.

vixmom

« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »

My parents wedding anniversary is 3 days before my birthday.  I announced to my first grade class that my parents got married and three days later I was born.  The teacher called my mother, who explained to her and later to me that I was actually born 2 years and 3 days after the wedding.   

I didn't understand what all the fuss was about

Of  course these days no one would think a thing about it!

vixmom

« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

Chuck Mangione's Bandmates Die in Fatal Crash
Posted Feb 13th 2009 1:10PM by TMZ Staff

Two members of Chuck Mangione's band were among those who died in the plane crash in Buffalo last night.

A publicist for the famous jazz musician identified the band members as Gerry Niewood and Coleman Mellett. Through a rep, Mangione said, "I'm in shock over the horrible, heartbreaking tragedy."

The band was supposed to play a show in Buffalo tonight. That show has been canceled.

My heart goes out to all those families - it is a terrible thing.

Ginny

« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »

What color are you thinking about for the countertops?  Do you have any Lowe's near you  or only Home Depot?

Blue, but something subtle.  Yes, we have Lowe's, closer than HD, so we might go there after dinner and take a look.

As for the floor, we had 9" dark brown squares that showed every grain of salt that fell on them and the corners of the squares started curling.  I wanted a solid piece of vinyl in light colors - no seams and much easier to keep clean than a dark color.  The floor is basically white, with a light blue and gray pattern.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:32:17 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »

Victims of commuter plane crash in Buffalo
By The Associated Press – 1 hour ago

Names of people killed in crash of Continental Connection Flight 3407. The names have been provided by airline officials, relatives or friends.

___

Crew members:

_ Capt. Marvin Renslow, pilot, of Lutz, Fla.

_ Rebecca Shaw, first officer, of Maple Valley, Wash.

_ Matilda Quintero, flight attendant.

_ Donna Prisco, flight attendant.

Passengers:

_ Alison Des Forges, of Buffalo, considered one of the world's leading experts on the genocide in Rwanda.

_ Beverly Eckert, of Stamford, Conn., whose husband died in the World Trade Center attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

_ Ron Gonzalez, of New Brunswick, N.J., director of a youth services program.

_ Ellyce Kausner, student at Florida Coastal School of Law.

_ Maddy Loftus, of Parsippany, N.J. Headed to Buffalo for weekend reunion of women hockey players.

_ Coleman Mellett, guitarist in jazz musician Chuck Mangione's band.

_ Lorin Maurer, who worked raising money for Princeton University's athletics department.

_ Gerry Niewood, saxophonist and member of jazz musician Chuck Mangione's band.

_ Mary Pettys, of West Seneca, N.Y. She was heading home after a business trip for her job as a software director for an insurance firm.

_ Jean Srnecz, of Clinton, N.J. Senior vice president of merchandising at Charlotte, N.C.-based Baker and Taylor.

_ Susan Wehle, of Amherst, N.Y. Was cantor at Temple Beth Am in Williamsville.

_ Clay Yarber, of Riverside, Calif., member of several Tampa Bay, Fla.-area bands over the past several decades.

Cillaliz

« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:42 PM »

I drove to see a client in a jail about 1 1/2 hours from Sioux City and listened to a lot about the crash on my XM radio.  It is so sad. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »

My parents wedding anniversary is 3 days before my birthday.  I announced to my first grade class that my parents got married and three days later I was born.  The teacher called my mother, who explained to her and later to me that I was actually born 2 years and 3 days after the wedding.   

I didn't understand what all the fuss was about

Of  course these days no one would think a thing about it!

:D

Ginny

« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

Or send photos to some of the HGTV shows and maybe they will redo your kitchen for you!

I came very close, years ago, to entering an "ugly kitchen contest" sponsored by Better Homes & Gardens magazine.  That was before the Christmas make-over, of course.

Cillaliz

« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »

We missed all the snow today and not too far south of us they got 10 inches.  I was glad I had to drive north

Cillaliz

« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »

gotta go, Boo has made it VERY clear that she is hungry and I am not doing my job by feeding her

Ginny

« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »

Very sad about the plane crash victims.  Would that all aviation disasters could end like the one in January.

Ginny

« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »

DR Vixmom - several years ago, my Christmas present was having the kitchen painted and a new floor installed. 

Well, Santa sure had a busy night!

der Brucer

LOL!  Actually, DR der Brucer, the crew started on Dec. 15 and were putting the finishing touches on the flooring as we left to pick up Grandma Palmer for church on Christmas Eve.  No homemade cookies for us that year!

Laura

« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2009, 03:36:18 PM »

Kitchen counters might be next on my list of home improvements.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

vixmom

« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »

I have thought about that - but all the shows I see have the designers "doing their own thing "  I do not know how they would feel about working with in my guidelines - also everyone would see how much work the rest of the house needs too- on national TV!!!
  ;D ::)

and the Clean Sweep people might come along and try and make me get rid of my stuff!!  ::)

vixmom

« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »

Blue, but something subtle.  Yes, we have Lowe's, closer than HD, so we might go there after dinner and take a look.

As for the floor, we had 9" dark brown squares that showed every grain of salt that fell on them and the corners of the squares started curling.  I wanted a solid piece of vinyl in light colors - no seams and much easier to keep clean than a dark color.  The floor is basically white, with a light blue and gray pattern.

That sounds like something I would like

DERBRUCER

« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »

.. I know ceramic tile is upposed to be all the rage but I hate mine - it's freezing cold in the winter...

Well, buy the maid some woolen socks.

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2009, 03:41:33 PM »

TODAY IN THEATRE HISTORY...

It's Stockard Channing's birthday!  Born today in 1944 in New York, New York.

Too bad we didn't know a little early - I could have had Vicky yell "Happy Birthday" to her during the curtain call of Pal Joey!

I love Stockard Channing, but even her appearance wouldn't be enough to get me to see PAL JOEY.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up