Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME - THE BITCH GODDESS  (Read 23332 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:TIME - THE BITCH GODDESS
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2004, 08:56:14 AM »

Good morning. Has anyone mentioned Carole Lombard yet? And Jack Benny in TO BE OR NOT TO BE.
Many faves have already been mentioned several times, so I'll list some that haven't... Doris Day and Rock Hudson.
Cary Grant - one of THE best screen comedians. Made the tight rope walk of romatic leading man and comic look easy.
It's twue she's been mentioned, but Madeline Khan makes me laugh from the gut.
John Cleese (A FISH CALLED WANDA. And although it's TV - FAWLTY TOWERS)
The Keaton twins - Diane and Buster
Danny Faye, Bob Hope, Harold Llloyd, Laurel and Hardy (to this day I think of them as "Stan es Pan" which is how they are known in Hungary)
That's it for now. More later, perhaps.

ROTFLMAO!  

Panni, I know that it was probably unintentional, but Danny Faye gave me the biggest laugh I have had all week.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2004, 09:25:03 AM »

BK - I reviewed yer book on bn.com

Bill Murray with whatsisname who directed Groundhog Day... what's his name??? more coffee is needed before I proceed. Jeez, what's his name?

Howard Ramis (Animal House, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters)

der Brucer (I'm just a fact checker - a Joan of Arcadia reference)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2004, 09:26:29 AM »

ROTFLMAO!  

Panni, I know that it was probably unintentional, but Danny Faye gave me the biggest laugh I have had all week.

Ooops (Spoo)... Well, it made you laugh, TCB. And dear old Dr. Freud is happy. So it's a win-win situation.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2004, 09:32:21 AM »

JoseSPiano your post to Jenny was wonderful.

Dan (the Man), recovering outsider-LOL

I think most insiders in high school felt like outsiders.  After our 20th high school reunion Keith & I sat in the lobby of the hotel talking with a few fellow graduates.  One of these women was very popular, smart, attractive, and always seemed so sure of her self in high school.  I found out she had been very insecure and didn’t view herself the way others had.  At the 30th reunion I began asking other popular women how they had felt.  My questions led me to some wonderful conversations and I walked away thinking, “if only I had known”.  I discovered very few of those “happy, insecure” gals had felt that way themselves.  I also made some new friends.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2004, 09:33:47 AM »

I love the Marx Bros.  And no one was funnier than early Bob Hope,  he paled in those sixties duds like CALL ME BWANA and ilk, but during the thirties and forties, he was top of the game.

I think it may be time for a W.C. Fields retrospective for me to see if he is still as funny as I remember him...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2004, 09:40:10 AM »

Judy Holliday - THE SOLID GOLD CADILLAC

What - no BORN YESTERSAY?

der Brucer (who counts being an avid Duplicate Bridge player amongst the many Follies of his Youth - always quietly chuckling to myself whenever some blue-haired bridge doyen started rearranging her hand)

PS: Speaking of funny scenes and body parts: Gene Wilder stabbing himself with the scalpel in Young Frankenwhositz.

PPS: Speaking of Franken stuff - how do we give a nod to "Frankenweenie" (with Spohia Coppola no less)

I guess we give Burton the nod for Story/Director.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2004, 09:47:26 AM »

No doubt she's excellent in BORN YESTERDAY, but it's a little too studied a performance for me, I guess the results of doing so many performances of it on stage.

Her character Laura Partridge in CADILLAC is one of the great comic performances, I think.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2004, 10:02:49 AM »

BK - I reviewed yer book on bn.com

Since Penny is shy to toot her own horn, herewith the review:

A reviewer, a reader from Southern California, March 11, 2004,

Comedy is hard

Bruce Kimmel has come into his full power as a writer. The two Kritzer books that lead to this one showed his mastery of language, his infallible comic timing, his willingness to fully and honestly flesh out his characters - now all the preparation inherent in the writing of those first two installments of the Kritzer trilogy has come to full bloom in this surprising finale. The concerns, joys, troubles, the whole magic world of the child Benjamin evaporate away as this Benjamin experiences his unavoidable Fall from Grace. In his expulsion from Eden, we all lose our innocence.

Also recommended: Jewish Thighs on Broadway by Penny Orloff

der copywrite-infringing Brucer

Hmmm... after reading the last line above, maybe I should retract my "too shy to toot" comment ;)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2004, 10:07:26 AM »

Her character Laura Partridge in CADILLAC is one of the great comic performances, I think.

To mirror last evening's great tragic performance" Leah Labelle?

der Brucer (who was heard to exclaim aloud, "My G-D, she stinks!"

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2004, 10:22:58 AM »

Good morning all!
LOVE the Kritzertime cover art...very nice.  I will be ordering it as soon as I get my next paycheck.  
The bitch goddess tells me I need to get going to choir...have a great day everyone

Emily

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2004, 10:23:40 AM »

Good afternoon everyone!

It is absolutely bee-yoo-teee-ful outside - sunny, warmish (it's still Canada in March) and everyone seems to be happy.  Maybe that last thing is less about the weather and more about the fact that this is the lucky week after most mideterms and before pre-exam stress kicks in ;)

Spring has sprung... yea!!!

DR Jenny - Rant Ahead (Be Warned)

I can honestly say that without an awful period of social-exclusion during the last two years of High School (Secondar IV an V) I would be a much different (read: worse off) person than I am now.

I spent most of my life before that being the tag-along "friend" (note the quotations) to a few very popular (read: stupid and shallow) girls.  I never knew quite why they kept me around, but I guess now that it was because when they got bored they could be entertained by torturing me and watching me seemingly be happy about it.  At the time I was just soooo happy to be included every once in a while in what they were doing that I would accept anything, including what I can now judge to be the most horrific of verbal and even borderline physical abuse (tying me to a tree as a "game" and then leaving me outside when they ran in to class or having a month or two when they "put" me on a diet, analysing everything I ate in their presence, because in their eyes I was "becoming a fatty" sring to mind).  

Finally at one point I had enough.  I cracked one day and basically had a panic attack and told them exactly what I felt like being their "friend".

They immediately shunned me - what use was I to them anymore?  In a school where cliques had been formed the first year, there I was going into my last year and a half and finding myself to be a complete outcast.  Being in the right didn't help.  Coming up with excuses as to why I didn't want a birthday party to my parents knowing that even if I did want one, I knew no one would come, was not fun.  

But that year of shunning did do something for me.  It taught me how to be independent, how I couldn't always rely on other people for interacting with others.  For the first time I had to make friends on my own and on my own terms.  I started to ride the bus alone and be comfortable doing so.  While it may sound very simple, being faced with that had previously scared me half to death.

Finally, in the last half of my final year I managed to crack into a new circle of friends (DR Andrea being just one of those in the new group).  

So even if you sometimes feel awful because of the situation with the people in your grade, you should remember that the experience of being an "outsider" or a "freak" will probably make you stronger in the long run.  I know it's a cliche and isn't very comforting, but I consider myself living proof of its verity.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »

TOD

Abbott and Costello (in particular The Time of Their Lives)
The Three Stooges with Curly (all the old shorts)
The Three Stooges with Curly Joe (Have Rocket Will Travel and TTS Meet Hercules)
Danny Kaye (The Court Jester)
Gene Wilder (in almost anything)
Madeline Kahn (all of her Mel Brooks films)
Hope / Crosby/ Lamour (The Road Pictures)
Rosalind Russell (Auntie Mame, His Girl Friday)
Marilyn Monroe (Some Like It Hot, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes)

“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2004, 10:40:18 AM »

Thanks, PennyO.  Actually, I went to barnesandnoble.com (where the book, for reasons which haven't fully been explained to me) has been available (in hardcover only) for over a week.  I was surprised to see a review from someone in Chicago who already got the book.  It's a lovely review, too.  Maybe someone could cut and paste it in here like they did Penny's?  And if someone could also post Penny's in the official Kritzer Time thread in that part of the discussion board, that would be swellegant, too.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2004, 11:10:54 AM »

Maybe someone could cut and paste it in here like they did Penny's?  And if someone could also post Penny's in the official Kritzer Time thread in that part of the discussion board, that would be swellegant, too.

"Someone" was off easting Scrapple and Fired Eggs.
"Someone" will comply with requests.

der what-am-I-chopped liver Bucer

Ben

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2004, 11:11:05 AM »

BK'S request

"And if someone could also post Penny's in the official Kritzer Time thread in that part of the discussion board, that would be swellegant, too."

has been done.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2004, 11:22:53 AM »

LOVE the Kritzertime cover art...very nice.  

I wonder if BK wants "someone" to post the cover art over on the Kritzer thread?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2004, 11:35:02 AM »

How much does BK pay for all this PR work?

;D    ;D    ;D    ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 11:58:01 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2004, 11:48:29 AM »

Thanks to all for helping.

Hopefully der Brucer can get the other review up here, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2004, 11:50:40 AM »

Ah, he posted it on the Kritzer board.  Here it is, direct from der Brucer and the Kritzer board via barnesandnoble.com.

Here is another review from B&N:

A reviewer, a reader from Chicago, March 10, 2004,

An amazing journey
I was given Benjamin Kritzer as a gift two years ago and I fell in love with him and his world. That book was funny and heartbreaking. Kritzerland was a wonderful follow-up, but nothing could have prepared me for the power of Kritzer Time (apparently the last book in the series). In Kritzer Time we follow Benjamin from thirteen to seventeen, covering the years 1960-1965. I don't want to give anything away, other than to say I laughed out loud many times, and if you are not moved to tears by the end of this book, you have a harder heart than I. Mr. Kimmel has hit a home run once again. A beautiful book.

Also recommended: Benjamin Kritzer and Kritzerland

der Someone Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2004, 12:21:21 PM »

DR Charles Pogue...try W.C. Fields in INTERNATIONAL HOUSE! One of his funniest IMO.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2004, 12:23:24 PM »

TOPIC OF THE DAY (in alphabetical order):

Abbott and Costello
Lucille Ball
Mel Brooks
Doris Day
Judy Holliday (especially "Born Yesterday")
Bob Hope (including the Hope and Crosby movies ... and I loved the Hope/Crosby section in the Broadway revue Swinging On a Star.  It was the very first show that I ever saw on Broadway)
Madeline Kahn ("What's Up, Doc?" and any Mel Brooks movie)
Danny Kaye and Mildred Natwick ("The vessel with the pestle has the brew that it true" ... or something like that)
Cloris Leachman
The Marx Brothers
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2004, 12:27:16 PM »

Woohoo! Two of my favorite live-action Disney films are coming to DVD in July! THE THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA and THE UGLY DACHSHUND!

Also coming soon from Warner Bros. are a special edition 2 disk set of 7 BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2004, 12:33:04 PM »

Bill Murray with whatsisname who directed Groundhog Day... what's his name??? more coffee is needed before I proceed. Jeez, what's his name?

Harold Ramis

Jane

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2004, 12:48:25 PM »

I should have known DerBrucer would have already answered Penny O’s question.

Danny Kaye
Judy Holiday
Katharine Hepburn
Cary Grant
Barbra Streisand
Jerry Lewis
Gracie Allen
The Marx Brothers
Mel Brooks
Adam Sandler
Steve Martin
Peter Sellers
Bill Murray
Betty Hutton
Barbara Stanwyck
Art Carney

Bruce the book cover looks beautiful.

Oh no, I didn’t realize it’s so late-I must get out of here.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2004, 12:52:35 PM »

In addition to many already named comedians/comediennes, let me add that fantastic character actor Eric Blore who was sensational in three Astaire/Rogers musicals, not to mention other films, as well:

Shall We Dance (1937) .... Cecil Flintridge
Swing Time (1936) .... Gordon
Top Hat (1935) .... Bates

Who can forget him as Bates, Edward Everett Horton's (another fabulous comic) ultra-contrary valet, in "Top Hat"?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:53:00 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2004, 01:38:52 PM »

I was going to respond to Jenny’s post last evening, but everyone else seemed to be able to express themselves so eloquently that I didn’t think I needed to say any more.  However, given the night to think about it, I decided to offer up my own reflections, as well.

High school was tough for me, but I think it really started in junior high.  That was where the lines were truly drawn.  That was when recess became Gym class, and my lack of athletic ability became apparent to the rest of the world.  Up until that time, I was just an ordinary kid, a little nerdier than some, a little more feminine than most, but basically just your everyday little boy.

But it was junior high school that separated the jocks from the jerks.  Prior to that time, you were able to choose your recreational activity.  There was softball, dodge ball, and basketball; as well as marbles, swings, and even hopscotch.  But in junior high school, and then again in high school, it became organized sports.  So, if you weren’t good at the rope climb, or at basketball, or at the hurdles; all of your fellow classmates were immediately aware of your shortcomings.  And sports and athletics went a long way in establishing the pecking order in school.  No one was required to excel at all sports, although those that could were elevated to god-status; but making your mark in one or two sports immediately erased any previous demerits received for greasy hair, bad skin, or hand-me-down clothing.  And soon, by word-of-mouth, the accomplishments of the few and the embarrassments of the many were passed from student to student and, even, from teacher to teacher.  And just in case, someone missed out on the word, there were the letterman jackets to elevate those gifted enough into the higher realm.

By the time you reached high school, the letterman jacket was as good as a crown.  Even those who came from other junior high schools were immediately singled out by the ever-present jacket.  Junior high letterman jackets were, of course, allowed for your first year of high school with no reduction in status.  Only if you failed to letter in your chosen sport, during your sophomore year, were you then stripped of your badge of honor.  

And what about the rest of us, who excelled, or at least tried in other areas, such as band or debate or drama?  Well, we lettered too.  But our letters were not the big bold letters given for sports, but rather smaller, softer, letters that could never be attached to a jacket.  No, these were only allowed on letterman sweaters.  And unlike all those old movies, jocks in our school did not wear letterman sweaters.  I remember sneaking those hideous letters home and burying them in my bottom drawer for fear my mother would see them and insist on buying me a sweater.  And once in my possession, I would then be expected to wear that sweater to school.  Nope.  No way.  Never.

Even just writing about these memories makes my cheeks flush and makes the bitterness return.  How did it happen that athletics came to define masculinity, while theater was the true mark of femininity?  Where did that put Paul Newman, and James Dean, and Brando?  Why did doing movies make you a man, and performing onstage make you a sissy?  Why was the captain of the football team, who was unable to string three words together, chosen to give a graduation speech, while the captain of the debate team had to be content to have an asterisk next to name in the list of graduating seniors?  And finally, why does do over two hundred theater productions count for less than one local television commercial in the eyes of those same peers?  

I truly believed that time was the great equalizer.  I actually thought that class, status, and family wealth would count for less and less as the years go by.  Well, I went back to my reunion, but I didn’t see that many changes.  Less insecurities on my part, and more insecurities on theirs, but nothing else seemed really different.  The cool kids were still the cool kids, and the others, regardless of accomplishments, remained invisible.  Maybe it takes longer than thirty years.  Maybe it will be the big 40th reunion where we can all get togehter and be ourselves.

Jenny, if you read this, remember what everyone else said here last night and today -- you pick your friends, you keep those friends, you defend those friends; and in the end, they will be your most treasured possessions.
“One thing’s universal,

William E. Lurie

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2004, 01:41:05 PM »

I mentioned the 7 BRIDES DVD the other day.  It will contain both the CinemaScope and the "flat" version.  Apparently there are many differences in the two including some different costumes.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2004, 01:43:07 PM »

Mentioning Eric Blore and Edward Everett Horton brings to mind another wonderful character comic actor who is too quickly and often forgotten - Franklin Pangborn.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2004, 02:08:05 PM »

Right now, der Brucer and I have a whole flock of birds that have settled into the trees outside our front door.

I'm not sure what to make of this, because it's a flock of vultures.

:o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2004, 02:26:11 PM »

DR Woody White, do you feel like Suzanne Pleshette or Jessica Tandy?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up