Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME - THE BITCH GODDESS  (Read 23624 times)

Danise

Re:TIME - THE BITCH GODDESS
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2004, 05:16:52 PM »

Evening all.  Sorry to be so late and not posting much.  I'm still working on the SLC trip and some other issues.  Sigh.  

Funny how you tend to think your the only person who had a horrible time at school  There's still a LOT I won't even talk about because it was that bad.  Things that were done to me that even my Mother will never know.

I will say that when I get the class reunion mailings, they go right into the trash where they belong.  I have nothing to say to those people and really couldn't give a flying fig what ever happened to the lot of them.  

Let's move on from that, huh?   I'm sounding like a bad person and I don't want to be.

Inside the Table's circle,
Under the sacred sword,
A knight must vow to follow
The Code that is unending,
Unending as the Table,
A ring by honour-bound.

A knight is sword to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

The right can never die,
If one man still recalls.
The words are not forgot,
If one voice speaks them clear.
The code forever shines,
If one heart holds it bright.

Sounds familar--I think I read that someplace recently.   ;)  Sorry I still haven't finished the book.  I am enjoying it.  I've had an hour for lunch for 2 weeks so that usually gives me lots of reading time but for some reason people keep talking to me this week.  

I think I acted like a knight of the old code last night--I can't explain but I did something I thought was the right thing to do even though others said different.  I feel good about it.  

They keep asking about the diet and Michael Ball and my trip, etc, etc.  

I must say that one place I really notice the weight loss, strange enough is my hands.  My fingers feel so much smaller.  I have a favorite ring that I have not been able to wear for a long, long time.  A little rose with a diamond chip (I doubt it's a real diamond chip/stone/whatever) and now I can wear it again.  Yay!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2004, 05:17:01 PM »

And now, a 3rd rant.  Geeze, three rants in one night...!

Yeah, High School bites the wax tadpole, so to speak.

Luckily, I was a geek.  I know that may be an odd thing to say, but it's true.  Being a geek meant that I wasn't socially expected to do certain things, specifically to date girls and to excel at athletics, neither of which I was inclined (or capable!) of doing.  

Yeah, I got razzed for being a geek, and even physically harrassed a bit.   But in the long run, my geekery turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  

The best thing I could possibly say about High School is that it only lasts four years.  They seem long when you're in 'em, but once you're out in the world, four years can go by in the blink of an eye.  

Anyone up for a fourth rant????
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2004, 05:22:20 PM »

Wonderful words to Jenny, TCB. Glad you decided to post it.

Panni

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2004, 05:24:15 PM »

The best thing I could possibly say about High School is that it only lasts four years.  
Oh yeah? When I went to high school in Canada, it was FIVE years.
Up to Grade 13!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2004, 05:40:31 PM »

I don't know how diplomatic it is.  I got nothing against her, but she's never really done it for me.

I meant your qualifying your comments regarding your wife's singing of the songs.... :D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2004, 05:54:17 PM »

I have yesterday's AND today's posts to read.  Sounds like yesterday got a bit heavy.  So I  will lightne things up a bit.

Does anyone know what happened to Rod lauren and why  his career kind of just fizzled?  He was handsome; he coulds sing; he was the perfect teen idol.  Other than the fact he got some bad movies (whichar e JUST the kind MBarnum and JRand enjoy), he had a lot going for him.  As far as i know I know he only did one album (which I really like).  Any info from anyone?

Oh and from a few days ago as to why Roddy MacDowall never got a junior Oscar (as in Academy Award-- he probably had a junior Oscar), I think it was politics and phobia-- the same reason Carleton Carpenter just kind of got phased out (although I DID hear that the reason for that was that he was doing it with a major producer's adult son-- but who really knows-- except Carleton himself).

AND the main reason I use the Barbara Cook quote on my profile is to TRY to remind ME that i am enough (something I have great deal of trouble with). If it inspires anyone else, then terrrific.
I like boat races.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2004, 05:54:20 PM »

No...qualifications or diplomacy necessary.  My wife has an ungodly brilliant singing voice.  I've been awed by it since college.  She has been a professional singer in various different incarnations of her life and has done many a lead in musicals.  Never took a real lesson in her life.  We were listening to a wonderful Rosemary Clooney album the other night, The Best of the Concord Sessions.  Wonderful song selection and Rosie is in great voice, by the end, we were both weeping, realizing the loss of this wonderful icon.  But at one point, my wife said," Rosie was my teacher.  I learned to sing, listening to her."

Robin

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2004, 06:01:45 PM »

But at one point, my wife said," Rosie was my teacher.  I learned to sing, listening to her."

She couldn't have had a better teacher.  

Panni

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2004, 06:05:28 PM »

DR kerry - Were you the one watching JUDAS the other night? I'd love some feedback on it before I watch the tape.

td

• td
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2004, 06:13:12 PM »

Soon I'll be going to Mr. Grant Geissman's home environment, and we shall work all the livelong night to hopefully finish the KT CD.

Omigod ! ! ! !

You never said that you were recording an album with country's diva, KT OSLIN ! ! !
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2004, 06:17:39 PM »

DR Kerry: Rod Lauren and Johnny Restivo were both "groomed" by RCA to fill the gap left when Presley went into the army.  There was only a 8 or 9 month period between "A Big Hunk Of Love" and "Stuck On You" and I suspect RCA no longer had the motivation to promote the new kids. "If I Had A Girl" was one of the top hits of 1960 here in OZ and Johnny Restivo's "The Shape I'm In" was very much a favourite of my friends at School at the time.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2004, 06:25:42 PM »

Are anyone else's allergies bothering them?

Yes, my eyes itch something fierce at times.  

The weather is beautiful and our spring days have been perfect.  But since nothing in life is truly perfect, the weeds are growing and bugs have invaded our home.

td

• td
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2004, 06:27:22 PM »

DR Kerry: Rod Lauren and Johnny Restivo were both "groomed" by RCA to fill the gap left when Presley went into the army.  There was only a 8 or 9 month period between "A Big Hunk Of Love" and "Stuck On You" and I suspect RCA no longer had the motivation to promote the new kids. "If I Had A Girl" was one of the top hits of 1960 here in OZ and Johnny Restivo's "The Shape I'm In" was very much a favourite of my friends at School at the time.

Next thing you know, DR Tomovoz is going to be filling in the details of the life and times of "the wild one," Johnny O'Keefe!  ;)

td

• td
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2004, 06:30:26 PM »

her roots ARE showing.  ;)

Robin

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2004, 06:31:34 PM »

I've been catching up on the posts for the past week, and I simply cannot believe that I missed ANAGRAM DAY.  

Of course, my own name anagrammed is: NEON BRAIN RODS.  

The Significant Others name anagrammed is: MR. CHIMP HATES PEACH JELLO.  

Man, you miss so much if you miss a day on Haines His Way...!

Oh, and a Happy (if Belated) B-Day to Miss Panni!

I simply must catch up...!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2004, 06:38:24 PM »

Robin Anderson
LOTS OF STRENGTH VIBES!!

Danise, congrats on wearing your ring again.

On second thought, after reading the beautiful posts on the subject, high school wasn’t so bad.  It was certainly better than Jr. High.  I still have many good friends from that time, including Bruce & Penny O and I of course have Keith, the best thing to ever happen to me.

td

• td
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2004, 07:06:19 PM »

DR Danise congrats on the ring!  :D
This is for you, as well as boomeranging back to a previous post of mine:

She Wears My Ring
(Words & music by Boudleaux & Felice Bryant)
She wears my ring to show the world that she belongs to me
She wears my ring to show the world she's mine eternally
With loving care I placed it on her finger
To show my love for all the world to see

This tiny ring is a token of tender emotion
An endless pool of love that's as deep as the ocean
She swears to wear it with eternal devotion
That's why I sing, because she wears my ring

This tiny ring is a token of tender emotion
An endless pool of love that's as deep as the ocean
That's why I sing, because she wears my ring.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2004, 07:12:26 PM »

Robin Anderson
LOTS OF STRENGTH VIBES!!

Danise, congrats on wearing your ring again.

On second thought, after reading the beautiful posts on the subject, high school wasn’t so bad.  It was certainly better than Jr. High.  I still have many good friends from that time, including Bruce & Penny O and I of course have Keith, the best thing to ever happen to me.

Jane -- I imagine you are, also, the best thing to ever happen to Keith!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2004, 07:28:27 PM »

Thank you all once again (!) for your continued kindness.   :) :-* :)

I'm very pleased to report that I had a lovely day today!  I spent most of my day on a bus (Four hours each way) in order to see a truly unimpressive production of "King Lear", but I ended up spending the day with my best friend, who I haven't gotten to spend very much time with lately, which was really nice.  Whoever said yesterday that just having one good friend makes all the difference in the world was absolutely correct.  Josh is a senior which causes me to rarely see him during the school day, but when I do, all those feelings of loneliness go away.  After yesterday, it was really nice to be able to spend some time with him.  :)

I'm pleased to say that days like yesterday don't occur too often.  I've created a high school schedule for myself that causes me to almost never be in the same place for more than a half an hour at a time, so there's never enough time for anybody to pick on me or for me to even feel truly excluded!  I don't have a lunch period, I don't take gym, and I spend half the day taking theatre classes at a different high school where the kids are even more crummy, but the teachers treat me like royalty (I'm currently directing scenes from "Assassins" there and I was just asked to help design the curriculum for a new drama class!).

And I just got a lovely new haircut.

It's amazing how a good day can help heal the hurt of a bad.  :)
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »

Are anyone else's allergies bothering them?
Yes, but I took a pill earlier.  It might as well be spring!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2004, 07:36:32 PM »

And I just got a lovely new haircut.
Ah, now that's another reason to look forward to Saturday!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2004, 07:40:12 PM »

Dr Jenny,
I am happy to hear your day today went much better! One thing to always keep in mind is that no matter how bad the day is another much better will come along.

As long as you don't become cynical and mean spirited you will be the winner. Just remember to always be kind to others and you will always have your self respect...and they can't take it away from you!

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2004, 07:42:27 PM »

DR WEL, I had forgotten that you mentioned the 7 Brides for Seven Brothers DVD...sorry about that!

But here are a couple more upcoming releases that I don't think have been mentioned.

The Bad Seed with a Patty McCormack commentary and (just for DR MattH) a set of the 1960s Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple films on DVD in 2005!

td

• td
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2004, 08:09:14 PM »

Also, let us not forget THE SAM PECKINPAH collection coming from Warners, featuring THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE, RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY and PAT GARRET AND BILLY THE KID.  I would assume that this will also include a new transfer of the previously released THE WILD BUNCH.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2004, 08:15:16 PM »

Wouldn't you know I have to wait another year for legitimate MISS MARPLE DVDs. I guess I can use the ones I made from TCM until the real thing comes along.

I read that LONG, LONG transcript of the chat, and there were lots of announcements and hints about upcoming releases, but I ached that some of my questions weren't touched on - like if there IS going to be a FORBIDDEN PLANET special edition this year or are we waiting for one in 2006. I've resisted buying the current FP DVD because I hoped for something more complete. I'll bet they're going to wait for an anniversary year for it now. Darn!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2004, 08:17:45 PM »

I think if you're elite, it merely means you have class...and not a part of the dross.
Oh, no, DR Charles!  There is a definite difference between having class and being part of the elite.

Being part of the elite, particularly in high school, meant being part of a special group of people, open only to the very few, and requiring of the rest of the school a certain drop-jawed envy.  Class, on the other hand...

A story from my own high school experiences.  In my class, there was a core quartet who were involved in most everything.  Ken, the leader, was the son of a preacher, but had turned out pretty good.  Mark was the son of the HS music teacher.  Jim was the "chubby" (and most funny) one, and Bob filled in the gaps, sort of the Zeppo.

No, they weren't on the football team, or any of those teams.  They were the cheerleaders, and the core of the theater group (including being the only males in the dance class), and involved with the Associated Student Body.  And, of course, when it came to elect the ASB president for the fall semester, Ken took the lead and was the chosen one.

Ken was an inclusionist.  He wanted everyone to benefit from what was happening.  Me, I'd been involved in the Poster committee the entire time, often being the one who was making the posters while the "in crowd" used the poster supply room as the stashing place for their books ("Oh, you can't expect US to use our lockers, it's too far out of our way!" was the response).  So Ken turned to me and made me the Publicity committee chairman.  He knew I wasn't one of the "popular" crowd, but he also knew I was on the school paper, and had been contributing for years.  He wanted my experience.

But that was how Ken operated.  He was interested in everyone, and interested in boosting everyone.  I wasn't the only one who benifited from Ken's modus.  There were many others.

Spring semester elections came around, and it was Bob's turn to be elected ASB President.  (Jim and Mark weren't into the ASB thing.)  Bob was Ken's opposite.  He was an exclusionist, interested in being part of the "elite" crowd.  Sure enough, all the committee posts were filled with his "friends" (outside of the other three), the ones who pandered to being part of the "upper echelon."  The rest of us were summarily turned out, rejected, no matter how much experience we had.

And yes, it stung.

The difference was, Bob had worked his way into being part of the "elite," and saw that as his power base.  Ken, on the other hand, never pandered to that power base.  Ken was the one who had...I'm getting ahead of myself.

Twenty year reunion.  I was there, and brought der Brucer.  (There's other stories to tell, I won't just now.)  Ken and Jim were missing, but Mark and Bob were there.  Mark looked much as he always had, with the addition of a moustache.  Bob, who had always been the classically handsome one, was bald and jowelly.  He looked old.  (His wife, wearing a pill-box hat, didn't make him look any younger.)  Naturally, his distaste of myself and my partner was obvious.  And a lot of people avoided him all night.

Ten years later, the thirty year reunion.  Again, I'm there with der Brucer (who agreed to be photographed with me this time for the official pic).  There's no sign of Ken again.  Bob isn't there this time, however.  Jim has reportedly died.  Mark is the only one of the four present.  Like father, like son, he's now teaching music and leading the local church choir.  I commented on his being the only one of the four to still be coming to the reunions, and he nodded.  "I miss Ken," was his only reply.

Dammit, I miss Ken, too.  He was the one with class.  He defined class.  Whatever has happened to him, I wish him well.

Panni

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2004, 08:18:41 PM »

Glad you had a great day, Jenny!
Speaking of KING LEAR - Are you going to see Christopher Plummer's Lear at Lincoln Center? You should try.

Panni

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2004, 08:20:54 PM »

Thank you for the belated B-day wishes, DR Robin Anderson.
I think that being knocked unconscious is a perfectly acceptable excuse for missing the big day.

Panni

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2004, 08:29:45 PM »

SWW - What a moving tribute to Ken. Thank you for sharing it with us.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 08:38:11 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2004, 08:41:51 PM »

But that was how Ken operated.  He was interested in everyone, and interested in boosting everyone.  I wasn't the only one who benifited from Ken's modus.  There were many others.

I think that my friend, Marc, who is a Buddhist, would call him a bodhisattva.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up