Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FIND THE FUNNY  (Read 24205 times)

Ginny

Re: FIND THE FUNNY
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Richard and I went to Miami University last night to hear Bruce Chadwick talk about George and Martha Washington.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 05:22:40 AM »

Time to get going.  It's not that easy to post photos with this little computer.  I'll post more when I get home.  The Rebirth tour was extremely interesting. They still need so much help here.  Our guide told us that until Brad Pitt started his project, very very few homes had been rebuilt in the Lower 9th Ward, now thing are slowly coming back.

I love the design of Brad Pitt's houses and Harry Connick Jr's musician's houses (now they are building for nonmusicians, too)  are colorful, bright and inviting.  Brad's organization has the funding for 150 houses lined up, but only have I'd say 5-10 completed.  His homes are built on the owners property and they are 75,000 with a no interest mortgage.  They are totally green. I'll post some photos later.

Harry Connick Jr and Habitat  for Humanity have more houses done.  Can't remember the numbers on that, but it's a neighborhood full of musicians homes and they also looks great. But these two projects are just a drop in the bucket.  There are still blocks and blocks of  empty and damaged homes and empty lots where you just see the front steps and a slab.

As I said yesterday, I have a new respect for Brad Pitt and Harry Connick Jr

It was also good to see two tables full of Americorp kids at breakfast yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:30:37 AM by Cillaliz »

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 05:25:20 AM »

The news from DR Danise is very distressing.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 05:27:09 AM »

Mikey I am sorry to hear about your 4 day work week, still it is better than the 3 days that you feared or layoffs.

Hopefully you can make some small economies at home that won't hurt too badly to tide you over this rough patch.

I know we have cut out all eating out and fast food stuff and Vixdad and the Vixter are bringing bagged lunches everyday which has all helped us saving money with me out of work. 

Also we have stopped all unnessacary spending - no new CD's, books, DVDs, ebay etc etc

Of course it helps that I am not eating any food at all or using any gas.  I was cut back to 4 days before I had to stop working so we will keep the economies going when I get back to the office again (whenever that may be)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 05:27:17 AM »

I agree DR Ginny.  I hope she is consulting a lawyer or someone who can help her and I hope she can find a place she can stay with Sheena. 

Ben

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 05:30:43 AM »

Opening night went well. I haven't heard directly from Anthony yet. There was a party last night and he didn't get home until late so I had an e-mail this morning. He created some elaborate opening night gifts. They were small watering cans filled with various things related to The Fantasticks. He wanted to get kumquats but none of the stores in the Fort Atkinson area had any. One of his friends asked the produce manager at one of the stores if he could get some but no luck. Even without the kumquats the gifts and cards were a hit. He loved my flowers and my card. He had a spate of Midwestern winter weather though. There was an ice storm and he had to use the de-icer to open the door to the car and he spent lots of time scraping ice off the windshield.

vixmom

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 05:32:00 AM »

Time to get going.  It's not that easy to post photos with this little computer.  I'll post more when I get home.  The Rebirth tour was extremely interesting. They still need so much help here.  Our guide told us that until Brad Pitt started his project, very very few homes had been rebuilt in the Lower 9th Ward, now thing are slowly coming back.

I love the design of Brad Pitt's houses and Harry Connick Jr's musician's houses (now they are building for nonmusicians, too)  are colorful and brigt.  Brad's organization has 150 houses lined up.  His homes are built on the owners property and they are 75,000 with a no interest mortgage.  They are totally green. I'll post some photos later.

Harry Connick Jr and Habitat  for Humanity have more houses done.  Can't remember the numbers on that, but it's a neighborhood full of musicians homes and they also looks great. But these two projects are just a drop in the bucket.  There are still blocks and blocks of  empty and damaged homes and empty lots where you just see the front steps and a slab.

It was also good to see two tables full of Americorp kids at breakfast yesterday.

The Vixter and her youth group will be in New Orleans this July.  Theyare going to be part of the National Gathering of high school aged Lutheran youth, all of whom are going to take part in the rebuilding efforts.

Last summer another group from our church went down with a couple of other local churches and they help build two  houses while they were there.

vixmom

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 05:33:30 AM »

~~~~HOUSE BUILDING VIBES FOR DANISE~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 05:35:19 AM »

I love the design of Brad Pitt's houses and Harry Connick Jr's musician's houses (now they are building for nonmusicians, too)  are colorful and brigt.  Brad's organization has 150 houses lined up.  His homes are built on the owners property and they are 75,000 with a no interest mortgage.  They are totally green. I'll post some photos later.

The Vixter and her youth group will be in New Orleans this July.  Theyare going to be part of the National Gathering of high school aged Lutheran youth, all of whom are going to take part in the rebuilding efforts.

Last summer another group from our church went down with a couple of other local churches and they help build two  houses while they were there.

That's great. I wish the organization we're here with would have organized a day of work. I would have gladly done it

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 05:35:50 AM »

Ok time to shower and let Pam use the computer....

vixmom

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 05:36:33 AM »

Cilla

You look MAAAAHVALOUS in that picture!  Enjoy yourself in New Orleans.  My only visit there was a day visit for several hours one day back when I was visiting a friend who lived in Gulfport, Missississipi.  The Vixter was not quite a year old at the time.  I have always wanted to go back there again.

I look forward to your pictures!

Michael

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 05:37:23 AM »

I will be listening to a BBC1 recording of Stephen Sondheim stint as visiting professor at Oxford University. There are 11 songs and several cuts songs. The singers including performers from the first UK production of Sunday In the Park with George. Singers include: Philip Quast, Maria Friedman, Nicolas Colicos, Megan Kelly and two others whose names I could not quite get.
Never stop dreaming.

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 05:38:38 AM »

Opening night went well. I haven't heard directly from Anthony yet. There was a party last night and he didn't get home until late so I had an e-mail this morning. He created some elaborate opening night gifts. They were small watering cans filled with various things related to The Fantasticks. He wanted to get kumquats but none of the stores in the Fort Atkinson area had any. One of his friends asked the produce manager at one of the stores if he could get some but no luck. Even without the kumquats the gifts and cards were a hit. He loved my flowers and my card. He had a spate of Midwestern winter weather though. There was an ice storm and he had to use the de-icer to open the door to the car and he spent lots of time scraping ice off the windshield.

I am glad to hear this!  I wish we could see his performance.  He is so very talented!

vixmom

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 05:39:58 AM »

~~~SHOWER VIBES FOR BK~~~~~

vixmom

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 05:40:48 AM »

~~~~$$$$ VIBES FOR MBARNUM~~~~~~~

vixmom

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 05:42:03 AM »

~~HEALTH VIBES FOR JEANNE &  DR LAURA'S DEAR SISTER~~

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 05:42:18 AM »

Off to work.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 05:42:47 AM »

In my DVD burner are several DVDs that I burned from old VHS tapes of mine:

Camelot with Gabriel Byrne and Marin Mazzie...this isn't from an old VHS, but the PBS broadcast from last year.  Otherwise, the rest are from VHS tapes of mine that I rediscovered last weekend:

Play On! with the songs of Duke Ellington.  This production was filmed for PBS in 1999 at the Pasadena Playhouse.  The original Broadway cast recording was recorded by BK!  Tonya Pinkins was in the original Broadway cast.

Speaking of Tonya Pinkins, next will be Jammin': Jelly Roll Morton on Broadway, with Tonya and the late Gregory Hines.  This is the 1992 one hour PBS special (notice a trend here??) about the musical and the recording of the cast album to Jelly's Last Jam!

After that will be the PBS showing of Black and Blue from 1993.  This is the original Broadway production that was filmed by Robert Altman.  It has shots of backstage in between the numbers.  It's quite good.

Then..."Evening at Pops" with Bonnie Raitt & John Raitt and fiddler Mark O'Connor from 1992.  Again, from PBS!

And finally (and NOT from PBS!), my DVD burned from my purchased VHS tape of I Do! I Do! with Lee Remick and Hal Linden.  It's from 1982 and it still looks great!

That's what I have been and will be watching. ;D

PLAY ON was broadcast on PBS?  Odd, but I don't remember it at all.  I'll have to check my VHS collection.

I do remember the JELLY'S LAST JAM special.  I also remember being disappointed that the show never did do the live Pay Per View for Cable that was planned.

I'm about to get to work on converting all my VHS theatre-based tapes to DVD.  First project will be the PBS broadcast of A.R. Gurney's THE DINING ROOM. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 05:45:01 AM »

DR Ben - good opening night news from Anthony.  It's looking like we won't be going to WI during the run, after all.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 05:51:35 AM »

Thank you all for the vibes. It is gonna hurt, but I will survive...as Gloria said.

I am planning a very economic LA visit this time around. Not much shopping, just spending time with friends and maybe meeting Mamie Van Doren.  ;D

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 05:52:41 AM »

The parent teacher conferneces went very well last night.  It seems that not too many parents bothered to sign up (what's all that about!) so we were able to spend some time talking to each teacher.  They all had wonderful things to say about the Vixter so that was great to hear.

It was also just nice to be out of the house and not at a doctor's office!!

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 05:54:05 AM »

Thank you all for the vibes. It is gonna hurt, but I will survive...as Gloria said.

I am planning a very economic LA visit this time around. Not much shopping, just spending time with friends and maybe meeting Mamie Van Doren.  ;D

I am glad you will still be able to make your trip.  It would be a shame to give it up after you have been looking forward to it for so long.

FJL

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 05:55:48 AM »

Oops (that's spoo spelled backwards), forgot to wish Ant broken legs, but let me send them belatedly.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »

* * * * *  HOUSE REPAIR VIBES FOR DR DANISE  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:25 AM »

Bragging Time:  her drama teacher told us that she is the only 10th grader in the college credit course she is taking.  All the other kids are juinors and seniors. (mostly seniors) and she is  "running circles around them"

She has been selected to be part of a Shakespeare Festival that will be held April 30 or May 1 (she wasn't sure of the date) at the Actor's Temple in NYC.  The teacher hasn't yet selected the part the Vixter will be performing.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:49 AM »

And the word of the day is: REVANCHE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  YOU'RE SO VAIN

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 06:00:08 AM »

* * * * *  VIBES FOR DR MBARNUM  * * * * *

DR MB--keep your eyes on your mailbox for an envelope from NJ...
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: REVANCHE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  YOU'RE SO VAIN

Too much bragging?  :-[

:D

FJL

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:50 AM »

SPOILER in this PARODY OF THE CURRENT REVIVAL OF "OUR TOWN" - looking for a new food image to write about

The big hoopla according to the folks on ATC about the new OUR TOWN is a coup de theatre (actually revealed in some of the reviews) in the third act where they actually cook real bacon live on stage and the smell permeates the theater in a very delish way.

So here from ON OUR TOWN (to the tune of NEW YORK, NEW YORK, A HELLUVA TOWN)

It's pork, it's pork
A helluva coup
The bacon fries and the people go "ooh"
The most acclaim since the concert by Stew
It's pork, you dork -
A theatrical coup

The way it goes is
This feller David Cromer
Caught lightning in a cup
The critics' noses
Are noting the aromer
And now their thumbs are up

Yeah it's makin' 'em hot
'Cause the bacon is what
Rates a yup.
Now let's go sup

It's pork, it's pork
It's makin' 'em kvell
Just think of all the concessions they'll sell
They're held in thrall by that helluva smell
It's pork, it's pork
It's a helluva smell!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 06:03:11 AM »

Bragging Time:  her drama teacher told us that she is the only 10th grader in the college credit course she is taking.  All the other kids are juinors and seniors. (mostly seniors) and she is  "running circles around them"

She has been selected to be part of a Shakespeare Festival that will be held April 30 or May 1 (she wasn't sure of the date) at the Actor's Temple in NYC.  The teacher hasn't yet selected the part the Vixter will be performing.

That is very cool news, DR Vixmom!  

And keep your eyes open, too...
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up