Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SINGER, NOT THE SONG  (Read 58455 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE SINGER, NOT THE SONG
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:33 PM »

Jose, Gabe is only 12, and due to those pesky child labor laws, is too young to work.  Therefore, having him "pay" for it means me paying for it. :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »

Just had a good laugh reading a feature on the Mormons being upset over BIG LOVE.  Anyone who's lived in SLC can attest that polygamy is not a thing of the past.  What do you think those 20,000 sq.ft. houses on Mt. Olympus are for?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2009, 12:40:51 PM »

From Tony Kushner's Angels in America: Part I:

Prior: I'm a homosexual.
Harper: Oh! In my church, we don't believe in homosexuals.
Prior: In my church, we don't believe in Mormons.

;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:56:46 PM by DAW »

MBarnum

« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the drab and dreary Delta terminal at LGA...

The car service ride over was OK, but... He answered an incoming call on his cellphone without a hands-free device. -I immediately called him on it, "That's illegal! If you get pulled over..." Then he switched to speaker-phone. Then once we got to LGA he had to loop the airport since he could not read/follow the arrows to the D(elta) terminal. So... No Tip! -And I think that was the first time I did not tip a driver, however, I could tell he knew not to expect one.

If you would just request Gouda, you wouldn't have these driver problems.

JMK

« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2009, 12:49:05 PM »

Quote o'the day, courtesy of JR, who sent me a bunch of FF newspaper PDFs:

"Goldwyn is holding his whole package for a fabulous price, and I suppose eventually he'll get it."  --Miss Frances Farmer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »

I enjoyed more fresh air this afternoon as my lunch was cooking. I had a little more time than I expected since I GOT NO MAIL TODAY!!! :(
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2009, 01:09:45 PM »

I watched HEROES while I ate lunch. Enjoyed John Glover as Sylar's father. Really liked the ending a lot (always enjoy when Nathan flies).

How amusing that the show is better now even though its audience is the lowest in its history. I guess a lot of people just gave up on the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2009, 01:16:49 PM »

Next, I watched BOLT on Blu-ray. It was quite wonderful really. Not a classic like WALL-E or THE INCREDIBLES or RATATOUILLE (it's not Pixar), but I found it much more ingratiating than Disney's last non Pixar animated film MEET THE ROBINSONS.

I'm not a big John Travolta fan, but he does a great job with the dog Bolt's voice, and the fellow playing Rhino the Hamster walks away with the movie. James Lipton, Malcolm McDowall, Susie Essman all do wonderful voices.

And I thought of bk every time Bolt's agent comes into the picture since it looks like the animators modeled him on Dr. Drew Casper!! The voice doesn't match, but the look and mannerisms are a dead ringer for Dr. Drew.

Overall, a fun afternoon of viewing, and I guess it goes without saying that the Blu-ray was stunning in both picture and sound. They did an unusual thing with the backgrounds. They're not CGI rendered but rather hand painted backdrops, and the Blu-ray lets you see brushstrokes just as if it had been cel art.

The DTS-HD MA 6.1 soundtrack is very powerful with the excerpts from Bolt's action-TV show. As fully immersive as any action movie out there. Amazing sound design.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »

Fun photos DR DAW.

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »

I had plenty of time to watch all of BOLT's bonus features. There was no commentary so I didn't have to sit through the movie again thus allowing me to get through everything much faster. Also, none of the featurettes were very long. The longest was about 10 minutes.

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:52 PM »

Next, I whizzed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing there, but Luke, Noah, and Brian are on tomorrow's show.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »

And I ended my afternoon with last Thursday night's THE OFFICE. Yes, I finally got around to it, and it was the Valentine's Day episode, so with my lateness and the show's delayed broadcast, we're running about a month behind!

Not the funniest episode in the show's history, but it did have a couple of really good moments.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »

Starting to get a headache from all the addressing - helper will be here at three and then this will go much faster.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »

I'm going to jump off-line now and do some writing. Then, I'm going back down to watch THE THREE FACES OF EVE on DVD before I tune in to LIFE around 9:15.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »

I shall shortly be on my way to the mail place, then to have some lunch (I'm starving) and then helper will be here and we'll try to finish most of the addressing tonight, which will just leave the postage for tomorrow.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

DR elmore - There is a nice Appreciation of John McGlinn here:

http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/1798/28/

Thank you, DR Jose!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2009, 02:34:55 PM »

Just had a good laugh reading a feature on the Mormons being upset over BIG LOVE.  Anyone who's lived in SLC can attest that polygamy is not a thing of the past.  What do you think those 20,000 sq.ft. houses on Mt. Olympus are for?

Gods?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Charleston!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »

Back from the long jog, and I guess I'll address some more packages.  Had a few e-mails from Sondheim this morning about Illya - he's been going through his files, but he's really unclear whether any of his stuff ended up in the show - he told me what he worked on and I'm sending him mp3s of the LP versions of those numbers so he can check it against his lyrics and notes.

BK, even if his lyrics hadn't been used or recorded, could you record them with an appropriate singer as a bonus track?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »

DR Matt H.  We agree with your comments on CASTLE.  We hung in there like you suggested & it did improve enough at the end to give it another try.

I missed the original broadcast of the series premiere, but I set my DVR to record the re-broadcast this weekend.  I was looking forward to the original broadcast, but then...brain fart.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »

...And just "remind" Gabe that you will have access to his call details via the phone bill. "Who is this?Why did you make a call at 3:00am? You sent how many texts?" etc., etc., etc.  -You can also select a phone and/or plan with no data or text features.

And then there are phones/services that have built-in GPS that you can check on-line so you know where your kid is at all times...assuming that the kid has it with him/her at all times.

George

« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »

ON THIS DAY IN THEATRE HISTORY:

Thirty-six years ago, in 1973, the stars gathered on stage at the Shubert Theatre to present SONDHEIM:  A MUSICAL TRIBUTE.

I wish that someday a legitimately released COMPLETE recording of the entire evening could be released.  I know I've heard tell that there's an illegitimate complete recording (;)), but I'd like something official.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »

So far, so good.

It's warm, it's sunny. I have a nice apartment. I have a nice car. My "welcome kit" included paper towels and toilet paper. The cable TV still needs to be set up, as well as the wireless Internet, but there's a Starbucks nearby where I can camp out, or I can head to the rehearsal studios. In the meantime, I believe I'm going to find a place to eat dinner, then do some grocery shopping.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2009, 03:49:14 PM »

DR JRand, if you Allison Hayes website has been a getting a few extra hits lately it is because there is a discussion of Allison's show DEEP FREEZE as well as your website on The Classic Horror Film Board.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »

Ah, but it wasn't RCA Victor that originally released the two-record set.

It was Warner Brothers, of all people!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »

Before I forget, Happy Holi!

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »

Thanks for all the vibes.  Today was ok, not as good as yesterday and I'm not sure what I think about it all. I didn't have time to eat lunch so I went from 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM with only a bowl of oatmeal in my stomach.   

The jury got the case about 4:00 PM. They were given the option of deliberating as long as they wanted to tonight or coming back in the morning. They decided to come back in the morning at 9:30 AM.   Since they turned down the free dinner on the county, my guess is they aren't close are tired and want to go home and start fresh in the morning. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #207 on: March 11, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »

I don't know if my uneasiness is coming from the trial, from the let down when I know my job is done, from the anxiety of not knowing the result or because I'm hungry. 

Ben

« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »

ON THIS DAY IN THEATRE HISTORY:

Thirty-six years ago, in 1973, the stars gathered on stage at the Shubert Theatre to present SONDHEIM:  A MUSICAL TRIBUTE.

I wish that someday a legitimately released COMPLETE recording of the entire evening could be released.  I know I've heard tell that there's an illegitimate complete recording (;)), but I'd like something official.

The reason there has never been a "complete" and "official" release is motsly all due to technical issues. The complete show exists on tape but there are severe sound problems with some of the numbers and even with today's technology they could not be fixed well enough to get them to the point that they can be heard.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2009, 04:08:32 PM »

It looks like the move to Austin is going to be postponed for a few days.

Although the loan for the sale of our Los Angeles house has been approved and "locked," the documents have not been signed yet, which means that escrow can't close before next week.  So, instead of starting our 5-day drive on Sunday (15), it probably won't begin until the latter part of the week.

:(

There's always something, isn't there?
At least you aren't making the drive with five dogs in the car!

(No, seriously, der B and I drove from Long Beach to Delaware with five dogs in tow, five and a half years ago.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up