Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: START AT THE TOP  (Read 60133 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: START AT THE TOP
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »

I also had time to watch the first two bonus features. They've broken all of these reminiscences up into short featurettes. Among the talking heads are Larry King, Brad Garrett, David Sheiner, Carole Shelley, Gene Saks, Charlie and Chris, and Robert Evans.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »

Page Eight Dance!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »

As a kid I always enjoyed Dinah Shore's talk show which aired in the evenings on one of the channels that we got piped up from  Northern California in the early 70s.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »

I'm hopping off-line now to do some writing and then head back down to finish the bonus features on THE ODD COUPLE and then watch some prime time TV.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »

This is a good day for getting the chinchy bassas: Obama's on AIG's tail and prosecutors are going after Ruth Madoff, Bernie's most likely crooked wife with her $7,000,000 penthouse. They should all be beheaded in the town square. Vive la revolution!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »

Back from lunch and a nice long visit with my friend Becky.  On the way home I stopped at a Hallmark store and found out the value of my gift card and went next door to Kroger for the fixings for burgers & fries for our dinner.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »

DR Michael S - Where did you pull up that list of "Top 25 Talk Shows"?  -I'm just trying to figure out the basis for the ranking. Nielsen points? Number of syndication outlets? How much ad space they bought?  Someone's personal opinions? In any case...

I found it on a google search, but did not save the page.

Yes the basis was the Neilsen Ratings

And thanks for the info on the other shows'
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2009, 02:56:41 PM »

DR Jennifer our library is holding the one book they had available.  The two others are being shipped from a different location in the county.  Since I have a week to pick up a held book I can wait until the other books arrive & get them all at once.  In this case I expect them all to be available by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Over the years I remember calling & holding books at various libraries in different states.  I would collect them at the check out desk.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »

DR Michael S - Where did you pull up that list of "Top 25 Talk Shows"?  -I'm just trying to figure out the basis for the ranking. Nielsen points? Number of syndication outlets? How much ad space they bought?  Someone's personal opinions? In any case...

I found it on a google search, but did not save the page.

Yes the basis was the Neilsen Ratings

And thanks for the info on the other shows'

Ah, the "dangers" of Googling then Cutting and Pasting. ;)

-And if it was based on Nielsen ratings, well... Then I'm really surprised that some of those shows placed at all on that list.

-And, you're welcome.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2009, 02:59:39 PM »

Was The Merv Griffin Show done in NYC or L.A.?  (I'm talking about the CBS show that ran opposite Johnny Carson.)

His CBS series originated from New York. It was taped at the Cort Theater. I was in the audience for the second ever broadcast of that series. The guests that night were Dinah Shore and Sonny and Cher.

I think his show was telecast from what is now the Helen Hayes theater. I have seen a photo somewhere. that shows it. I think the Cort theater would have been too big for a tv studio.

EDIT

Actually I think we are both correct

He did his show from 1965-1969 at the Helen Hayes Theater and then 1969-1792 at the Cort
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:17:35 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »

Down with chinchy bassas!

td

• td
« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »

Well, no one has mentioned my all-time favorite talk show, or host:  Joe Franklin.  In our area, we got Joe on one of our UHF channels late at night.  Joe always had interesting people on and he always had interesting stories to tell.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2009, 03:23:12 PM »

Down with chinchy bassas!

I was waiting for you, darlin!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »

OK - I need to stretch my legs for a bit before rehearsal begins.  Been sitting at this desk and this computer a bit longer than I planned this afternoon.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »

I was thrilled that you used the term. ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »

I was thrilled that you used the term. ;)

Those pigs at AIG and Mrs Madoff and her sumbitch husband are chinchy bassas!

DAW

« Reply #226 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »

Those pigs at AIG and Mrs Madoff and her sumbitch husband are chinchy bassas!

Just as Val Kilmer IS Moses!

The former committed crimes against humanity.  The latter committed crimes against Art.

DAW

« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I feel fizzy and funny and fine!    :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2009, 03:52:09 PM »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I feel fizzy and funny and fine!    :D

About to explode?

DAW

« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2009, 03:52:54 PM »

About to explode?

Miss American can just resign!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »

I concur with DR Woody about letting interviewees answer the questions. I find it quite annoying when they do not.

And even worse are the Sunday morning political talking head shows where you get four or five people yelling all at once and no one is heard.   :(

Over at Fox News, Sunday is a daily event.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »

Off to meet Becky at Panera at Bridgewater Falls, a shopping center that was built where there was

NO bridge
NO water
NO falls

For some crazy reason, we have a few subdivisions here with ocean themes.

They're just anticipating the great California earthquake.  Patience, my dear, patience.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »

So no one liked Tom Snyder and the Tomorrow Show?  He wasn't my favorite but I did like to watch him

Johnny Carson was my all time favorite

Cillaliz

« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »

Happy Birthday to BK's DD!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »

It is also Jerry Lewis' 83rd Birthday

Cillaliz

« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2009, 05:03:50 PM »

Getting ready for DWTS!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »

It was in the 70s here today!!!  Wow! It was warmer outside than in my house.  I had to open windows to heat things up.  It's starting to get a bit chilly, though, so although the cats won't like it, I think I'll close some windows

Jennifer

« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »

BROTHERS & SISTERS LAST NIGHT SPOILERS

I watched the last 20 minutes of BROTHERS & SISTERS while I ate lunch. I had read spoilers so I knew the Tommy story. The Kitty story was interesting, and that now seems to be headed in a certain direction.

fdui iud  boo ho eie eow woow wowo iu fiuf llo wlwo fd heahd ot fiuf ui low wow vow tow fiukj kjkj
wuioe fuio   uiiulk jkkj78 8 kjkj kjl low w wow wow wowo kjou iuiuio u low kjlkj to ooi uoi uj jk jlj
I must say that i knew that tommy was leaving. But they caught me totally by surprise with how.
I really thought he was going to take the plea. It's rare that i totally don't see a twist as even a
possibility. Most shows you get some incling. The only show where i rarely know what is going on
is Medium. kj kjdajk wiwoiuwoiu ui iu iu iu  low tow wow oiwifuiriur iu iu  iu iu iu ui iu iul lo2 ououo
feiufkjl fow tiui fow eieuir run wun sun fun toi diu ui iu iu iu i ljklow wowowowo o o o kjkjkjk  jkkjjk

Jennifer

« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »

re: the vitamin E gelcaps.

Actually i did not even know that the vitamin pills were gelcaps. I've never taken them before.
But i still don't know that it would have occured to me to put in a pin in them.

Cillaliz

« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »

I have decided that I need to take a 4 day weekend, so that's exactly what I"m going to do.  I'm bound and determined not to set anything next Monday and Tuesday (they were clear for a trial that isn't happening now).  Saturday is the Siouxland Film Festival, then Sun, Mon and Tues I want to do my spring house cleaning, do some more work on the house, maybe paint the upstairs bathroom and maybe work outside.  And maybe just relax for a day.   I can't wait!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up