Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A BRAND NEW WEKK  (Read 47969 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:A BRAND NEW WEKK
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2004, 01:11:14 PM »

But I quickly RAN to my computer and checked the class' website and found out that I had the wrong date on my calendar and that the paper is due for is actually on Friday.  Thank God! :D  

DR Emily - Thanking God that your religion paper isn't due is very apt.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2004, 01:13:35 PM »

I've never done a silly Page 5 dance.
         :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 01:16:46 PM by Panni »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2004, 01:14:39 PM »

I also meant to mention that the Dinah Shore CALL ME MADAM is available on CD on the Flare label imported from London. I have it.

That's why I mentioned earlier that there might be a London import of TWO'S COMPANY that I didn't know about.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jed

« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2004, 01:24:53 PM »

DR Jed... What are you doing up at 2 am?  Don't you have to go to work on Monday morning?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, and never really certain until Monday morning.  Such is the unpredictable schedule of the substitute teacher.  Today turned out to be no work, which is just as well since I ended up not falling asleep until 3:30 or so.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2004, 01:25:33 PM »

Sorry, that's MkTschikken Szandzhouitsche.

And how do you spell Krushchev?
 In German it's Chruschtschew, I believe.

What is it?  Ghoti? (did I spell that correctly??)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2004, 01:29:49 PM »

I have a question that has been puzzling me.  I have heard all of these awful things about the Rosalind Russell vocals for GYPSY.  However, didn't she win a Tony for WONDERFUL TOWN?  What, do you think, was the difference that made her singing acceptable on Broadway, but not on film?  Her age?  The songs themselves?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2004, 01:31:57 PM »

Hey all!  I'm typing this from work, where happily I am not doing much working (knock on wood).

I'm back from NYC, where I had a wonderful time.  As you guys know, the sleepover was tres fun, and I hope Jenny and I can have another in the next few months.  I liked Sweeney Todd, although I wasn't knocked out of my seat or anything.  Here's my (rather informally written) review:

Mixed feelings here.  It was my first time seeing a production of "Sweeney," so I really had no basis of comparison.  I have the OCR, of course, and the Hearn/LuPone concert DVD, but I've never been able to get hold of the Lansbury video.  From what Jenny told me, the staging and sets at NYCO were exactly the same as the original production, so it was really quite cool to see the show almost exactly as it was the night it opened.

Now, I have always been on the side of the "musicalites" in the undying "Sweeney" debate, but I do think it has operatic elements.  Granted, I DID buy the cheapest possible tickets so I ended up in the fourth ring of the house, but I think something was lost in putting on "Sweeney" in such a huge theatre.  The atmosphere that I think is important to a strong production of this show was non-existant for me.  Maybe I just know the show too well; I wasn't chilled.  However, it WAS absolutely glorious hearing that incredible score sung in a theatre for the first time and by lush, gorgeous voices (even if lyrics were sometimes garbled).  As for the acting...

I was mixed.  I know a lot of people hate Elaine Paige for her mannerisms and all, but I really didn't find her that annoying.  She was a good Mrs. Lovett, but there was absolutely nothing new or daring in her performance...I think she played up Lovett's loopy guile pretty well, but I just wasn't blown away.  And I don't know about all performances, but the night I saw it, "A Little Priest" BLEW!  People laughed of course (how can you not at those brilliantly witty lyrics?), but Delavan and Paige had very little comic chemistry, and the performances there just weren't very funny.  I rather liked Mark Delavan's Sweeney; I didn't find him very frightening or intense, but he sung it beautifully, and there were moments in his performance of great tenderness and poignance.  For me, the best all-around performances were Judy Blazer as the Beggar Woman and Keith Jameson as Toby.  Judy rocked as usual, and Jameson's "Not While I'm Around" melted my heart.  

Most of my rare OCRs on LP are also on CD at this point, but I would love to see a few of the solo albums I have issued on CD (if they aren't already)--like Gordon MacRae's "Only Love" and Vivian Blaine's cabaret album (I don't remember the title of it, but I think she made it in the 70's).

No, no relation to the Kimmel Center or the Kimmel auditorium.  All these fershluganah Kimmels showing up out of the blue to usurp MY name.  When I was a young actor there were NO other Kimmels working in show business.  Now it's de rigeur to be named Kimmel if you're in show business.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Or in the writing business.  There is now an on-the-rise author named Haven Kimmel.

Elmore--that's so cool that you have a letter from Lotte Lenya!!  What a treasure.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 01:32:23 PM by Maya »

Jed

« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2004, 01:32:27 PM »

Zoltan Kodaly (the Great Hungarian Composers  website says: "He is also the author of books on pedagogic and historical subjects. - My kind of guy!)

Oh yes, he is one of music education's biggest pedagogs.  The three main schools of music education (primarily for work with elementary school kids)that teachers-to-be hear time after time after time after time are Orff, Dalcroze, and Kodaly.

Michael

« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2004, 01:33:06 PM »

My wonderful package was waiting for me at my front door. What a beautiful Harvey Schmidt paiting.  I will listen to the cd on my way to Fort Lauderdale this evening.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2004, 01:36:30 PM »

The majority of my LPs are in the basement of my parents home in Montreal. However I would love to have Who Is Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?, Don Juan in Hell, Stages (The Bruce Kimmel musical) and I am sure there are others that were part of my "rare" collections that were no longer rare when they were remastered on CD.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2004, 01:40:10 PM »

DR TCB, Roz was a great comedienne and I think she's wonderful in both recordings of WONDERFUL TOWN, but GYPSY calls for better vocal chops than Roz possessed, IMHO.  I believe Lisa Kirk did the ghosting for her.

I thought Tyne Daly was amazing to watch in the theatre, but I find her hard to listen to on that cast recording.  By the end of her career, with her wide vibrato and mannerisms, Merman was kind of camp, but she was in her prime one helluva great singer:  Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Jule Styne, and Gershwin wrote for her, (for her! for her!)and that's not chopped liver.  End of soapbox.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2004, 01:40:12 PM »

Should we have a little contest to see who finishes Kritzer Time first?

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2004, 01:40:36 PM »

DR TCB: WONDERFUL TOWN was written with Rosalind Russell in mind, an untrained voice who could talk-sing and use personality rather than vocal expertise to style her songs.

GYPSY was written for a real singer/belter: Ethel Merman.

You couldn't find two dissimilar singing voices, and Roz, for all her comic and dramatic ability, was just at sea with songs that required long sustains and any kind of vocal range. She just didn't have it.

Michael

« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2004, 01:40:47 PM »

The Mad Show is another one I would love to have, but I think the rights are tied up in the Marshall Baerer estate

Call Me MAdam and New Faces of 52 have both been released on Cd
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2004, 01:45:03 PM »

Oh yes, he is one of music education's biggest pedagogs.  The three main schools of music education (primarily for work with elementary school kids)that teachers-to-be hear time after time after time after time are Orff, Dalcroze, and Kodaly.

Wasn't part of the Kodaly method the hand signals that Truffaut's character used in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS?
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2004, 01:45:15 PM »

I might also add that folks have won Musical Tonys who didn't sing a note: Natalia Makarova in ON YOUR TOES comes immediately to mind. Thomas Mitchell didn't sing in HAZEL FLAGG either and won the Tony.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 01:48:19 PM by Matt H. »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2004, 01:46:50 PM »

Should we have a little contest to see who finishes Kritzer Time first?

I think Charles and Jane would win.
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2004, 01:49:13 PM »

Beware one and all, all and one... those nozzles (one of my favorite epithets) who harvest our e-mail addresses for their virus-spreading pleasure are seemingly at it again.  I recieved an e-mail a little while ago from kritzerland@yahoo.com, which looks very much to be one of these.  Naturally, I simply deleted the thing instantly, but wanted to let all y'all know that "they're baaaaaack."

Jed

« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2004, 01:52:36 PM »

Wasn't part of the Kodaly method the hand signals that Truffaut's character used in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS?

The hand signals that correspond with the notes of the scale are, indeed, part of the Kodaly method.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2004, 01:56:29 PM »

NEW FACES OF 52 on CD is missing a track that was included on a 70's LP reissue.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2004, 02:00:21 PM »

TOMOVOZ-

AY!!! What do you know about GREG BONHAM?

Is he any good?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »

There is no such e-mail address as kritzerland@yahoo.com.  So, yes, beware.  As a matter of fact, I just got another paypal thing to update my info.  This time it arrived at the correct e-mail address.  The giveaway, which I wasn't aware of until my bad thing with this two weeks ago, is that any paypal e-mail that's real will have your NAME in it.  This, of course, did not, and I simply forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com.  I did look at the link they provided and again, if you look in your address bar, it's not the paypal address, although they're now getting clever about that, too, so it's not so easy to recognize.  The giveaway on the "update" page is that they're asking for things paypal would NEVER ask for, i.e. specifically your ATM card number, and your social security number.  

As to the Kritzer Time contest, obviously people who've read advance copies can't take part.  Furthermore, Jane hasn't read it yet, she would have gotten hers today, too.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2004, 02:08:10 PM »

DR TCB: WONDERFUL TOWN was written with Rosalind Russell in mind, an untrained voice who could talk-sing and use personality rather than vocal expertise to style her songs.

From an essay by Bruce D. McClung and Paul R. Laird, collected in “The Cambridge Companion to  the Musical” edited by William A. Everett and Paul R. Laird:

“One Hundred Easy Ways’ balances musical interest and clever lyrics while working around Russell’s limited singing ability.

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jed

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2004, 02:08:54 PM »

There is no such e-mail address as kritzerland@yahoo.com.

I figured as much.  These gunkies are sneaky!

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2004, 02:16:21 PM »

I got my WONDERFUL TOWN CD today and am looking forward to listening to it at some point over the next 24 hours.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2004, 02:20:39 PM »

I will do the honors JRand53,

Allison
Hayes!
We love ya!

Harumpf! No surprise here. Good detective work reveals that you and JRand are in a conspiracy that meets at Brian's Drive-In Thatre to discuss TG rights.

der Brucer (noticing for the first time that Allison Hayes and WEO's Joe both fell victims to "healthy eating". )
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 02:21:08 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2004, 02:26:16 PM »

TOMOVOZ-

AY!!! What do you know about GREG BONHAM?

Is he any good?

Australian born yes. I suspect NO-ONE here knows or cares. A legend in his own mind perhaps.
I would take his bio with a grain of salt. I really know nothing about him. I am of course from Melbourne so know not much about entertainers from the centre of the universe - Sydney!
I would be more excited about Peter Brockelhurst. Check him out on the NET - Great story and great voice.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2004, 02:47:05 PM »

As to the Kritzer Time contest, obviously people who've read advance copies can't take part.  Furthermore, Jane hasn't read it yet, she would have gotten hers today, too.

Well, fine, then Jane can play; but you and Charles are still ineligible.

“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2004, 02:48:01 PM »

There is no such e-mail address as kritzerland@yahoo.com.  So, yes, beware.  As a matter of fact, I just got another paypal thing to update my info.  

Yes, I received one, too, this morning, and I did exactly as you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2004, 02:49:49 PM »

Harumpf! No surprise here. Good detective work reveals that you and JRand are in a conspiracy that meets at Brian's Drive-In Thatre to discuss TG rights.

TG rights?  Is that Trans-gender rights?  Or Tammy Grimes rights?

“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up