Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A BRAND NEW WEKK  (Read 47899 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:A BRAND NEW WEKK
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2004, 11:38:47 AM »

...musci...

Special fruits from which a wine called Muscitel is created.
Muscitel is the wine of choice WEO serves to his Narian guests to complement his renown  Spoo quiche.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2004, 11:39:35 AM »

I won't get home for hours and hours...when the red red robin comes bob bob bobbin along....but I will make sure I log on if Benjamin is waiting for me!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2004, 11:40:11 AM »

I am glad that I heeded DR SWW's warning and checked the internet before lamenting the unavailability of a certain album.  For yours, I have tried to find a CD of the Ennio Morricone soundtrack of the film Sacco and Vanzetti, featuring Joan Baez.  All this time I have been searching for it in music stores, and there is a used copy available on Amazon.com at this very minute.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2004, 11:40:34 AM »

Scarlet sends house boy to attic trunk to fetch some britches for her father.

On his return she inquires, "How many britches did you bring?"

His reply: "For Massatusetts."

der Brucer (working overtime for that one!)

Sorry, but I have to break the no-groaning law.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 11:41:19 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2004, 11:42:56 AM »

... small, white, pasty, mealy critters, rather worm-like, and generally regarded as the ugliest animals in the known galaxy by just about every sentient species capable of starflight...

Sounds like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »

And, in addition:

Fresh spoo (served at an optimum temperature of 62-degrees) is served in cubed sections, so that they bear as little resemblence as possible to the animal from which they have just been sliced. Spoo is usually served alongside a chablis, or a white zinfandel.

Further information on the care, feeding, eating and whacking of spoo can be found in the second edition of the Interstellar Guide to Fine Dining.

Re: your desire to make and eat spoo at home...depends on whether or not you ever want to have children later....

What does spoo taste like?
Meat Jello.
Served chilled.

It is not a good idea to read this post, without first reading WFO's previous post on the same subject!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 11:46:27 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2004, 11:47:42 AM »

The Wells Fargo Wagon just showed up, and although I did not get my salmon frm Seattle OR my my raisins from Fresno, I DID get KRITZER TIME and accompanying CD.  Mucho thanks.  I'm late for work.

Where's my other shoe?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2004, 12:00:25 PM »

We will finally have the Minneapolis Out and About Theatre Production of Boy Meets Boy (from 1979) on CD. I've mentioned this albmum before. It's got full orchestrations and more music than the CD transfer of the original production.

When I saw the original show in the Village, it was piano only - did something change, or was the MN production just classier?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2004, 12:01:31 PM »

Three piece orchestra: piano, stool, and cover.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2004, 12:02:04 PM »

Call out the Weather Girls!  Call out Paul Revere!  It's raining Kritzera!
Just arrived.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2004, 12:02:38 PM »

No, no relation to the Kimmel Center or the Kimmel auditorium.  All these fershluganah Kimmels showing up out of the blue to usurp MY name.  When I was a young actor there were NO other Kimmels working in show business.  Now it's de rigeur to be named Kimmel if you're in show business.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

I'm assuming it takes a day or two longer for packages to reach the East Coast.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2004, 12:03:15 PM »

Album I would like on CD - When I was a kid I used to put on Jolson shows in front of the mirror. Favorite song: "Sonny Boy"... I think I've mentioned before that I was a weird child. Anyway, the record - which I still have - that I sang along with was A TRIBUTE TO AL JOLSON, Fontana and his Orchestra, vocals Jimmy Dee. Okay, it's not one of the greats. But for me it was great.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 12:04:33 PM by Panni »

Ben

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2004, 12:04:11 PM »

They did the same show in Minneapolis but they used a full orchestra. I think the show in the Village was done in a hole in the wall space, the 13th Street Theatre (between 5th and 6th Avenues in NYC), a tiny, tiny place. When the show was done in Mpls, it was in a theatre seating around 400-500 people. The recording was done with the full orchestra and included little snippets of dialogue as well.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2004, 12:04:34 PM »

Kritzera:  a new plurality.  Somewhere in the apartment I have a badly typed letter from Lotte Lenya, lots of crossouts and type-overs.  Under her signature, she wrote in hand "it's a good thing I'm an actress, I'd have starved to death as a typist."

Lotte, I know just what you men.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2004, 12:05:03 PM »

All these fershluganah Kimmels showing up out of the blue to usurp MY name.  When I was a young actor there were NO other Kimmels working in show business.  Now it's de rigeur to be named Kimmel if you're in show business.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Now you know how I felt when some fershluganah record producer appropriated my name!

BRUCE!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 12:05:30 PM by DERBRUCER »

Ben

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2004, 12:06:16 PM »

Perhaps when I get home I will have a package waiting for me. If Mr. Elmore has his book, then I might also have one. If I do, I won't be able to acknowledge it until tomorrow morning. The computer restoration is going better than expected but today is still out of the question as far as getting back on-line. Lots of things have to be re-installed, etc. etc. etc. (a King and I reference).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2004, 12:07:53 PM »

Dearest BK, your package is postmarked March 12 and it just arrived.  I have to read the other two Kritzera first, April 1, as I promised.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2004, 12:08:04 PM »

Kritzera:  a new plurality.  Somewhere in the apartment I have a badly typed letter from Lotte Lenya, lots of crossouts and type-overs.  Under her signature, she wrote in hand "it's a good thing I'm an actress, I'd have starved to death as a typist."

Lotte, I know just what you men.

Yes, elmore3003, I also know what you men.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2004, 12:14:14 PM »

Off to rehearsal.  Have a sparkling chat and someone mention Allison Hayes so she will know she isn't forgotten!  

td

• td
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2004, 12:14:16 PM »

Speaking of Hungarians, and not those who have worked for Kristen Bjorn: I just found out that Adrien Brody, he of the marvelous PIANIST, is half-Hungarian.  His mother was/is the photographer Sylvia Plachy, whose photos have graced The Village Voice quite often.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2004, 12:14:32 PM »

Seriously, elmore3003, you have a letter written by Lotte Lenya?  Was it written to you?  Were you a friend of the great Miss Lenya?

BTW (By the way in internet lingo):  Did she ever have any other career besides that one movie, From Russia With Love?  I thought she showed a lot of potential.
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2004, 12:16:24 PM »

Not with $8.55 postage they don't.
Ours is here right now.
Thanx (name-stealer!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2004, 12:20:22 PM »

RE postage: I was rather shocked that they've changed the way they do priority mail now.  It used to be a flat fee based on the weight of the package.  Now it's based on weight and location.  Ridiculous, if you ask me.  They do have a "flat rate" but you have to put it in a priority envelope, and while it would fit it isn't sturdy enough.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2004, 12:33:45 PM »

No, no relation to the Kimmel Center or the Kimmel auditorium.  All these fershluganah Kimmels showing up out of the blue to usurp MY name.  When I was a young actor there were NO other Kimmels working in show business.  Now it's de rigeur to be named Kimmel if you're in show business.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

A Kimmel Center also opened up in Philly about two years ago (it seems like they're the new Starbucks.)  I assumed they were named after Jimmy Kimmel from The Man Show.

And what happens when we assume?   All three books have just arrived at my desk here in Philly and I am beside myself with glee!  BK, these are so nice!  And each book is inscribed and comes with a CD! Thank you very much!

I begin the journey tonight...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2004, 12:39:29 PM »

RE postage: I was rather shocked that they've changed the way they do priority mail now.  It used to be a flat fee based on the weight of the package.  Now it's based on weight and location.  Ridiculous, if you ask me.  They do have a "flat rate" but you have to put it in a priority envelope, and while it would fit it isn't sturdy enough.

You could have mailed it cross country for $2.26 Media Mail; of course it could take up to seven days - maybe you could offer readers who do not have to have instant gratification a shipping option and donate the difference to a worth charity (Jogging Jews Recuperation Center).

Ben

« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2004, 12:41:11 PM »

The Kimmel Center (Helen and Martin Kimmel Center for University Life) was named for the folks in the parens. They have a foundation based in NY and their giving interests are primarily for performing arts, cultural programs, education and fundraising, higher and professional education, hospitals, health care, human services, Jewish federated giving programs, and Jewish agencies and temples.

There are 10 Kimmel foundations in the U.S. (there may be more, but for our purposes, we only track these ten) most are in New York but there is one in Nebraska, one in Florida, one in Indiana, one in Delaware and one in Philadelphia, PA. None of them, as far as I know, are related to each other.

And that is your lesson on philanthropy for the day.

From your Philanthropic Buddy,

Ben

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2004, 12:45:11 PM »

I will do the honors JRand53,

Allison
Hayes!
We love ya!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 12:47:07 PM by MBarnum »

Emily

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2004, 12:57:45 PM »

Good afternoon all!

To the person who asked (I forget who and am far too lazy to actually go back to the page the question was on and find out the questionees name) KINDER EGGS ROCK!!!

They are absolutely yummy (not bad quality chocolate) and the toy inside provides hours of entertainment.

When my sister's best friend left UofT, she realized that she had a gazillion food points left in the cafeteria.  The last day of classes she went to the caf and bought two CRATES of Kinder Eggs with the remainding food points that would otherwise have been wasted.  

I have fond memories of sitting around her dining room table eating hundreds of eggs and assembling just as many little toys.  The kinder toys are even collectible now!  Whodda thunk it?

In other news, I had quite the shock today.  I woke up this morning and looked at my calendar that I keep in my room and saw that I had a religion paper due today that I had completely forgotten about.  My stomach felt like it was hanging above my head.  But I quickly RAN to my computer and checked the class' website and found out that I had the wrong date on my calendar and that the conference the paper is due for is actually on Friday.  Thank God! :D  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2004, 01:07:06 PM »

Re postage:  I've had media mail packages take up to six weeks to arrive, no matter what the Post Office claims, so I'd rather pay more for priority mail.

About the great Lotte Lenya, I wrote her a fan letter in 1973, while I was working on THREEPENNY OPERA, and she sent me that lovely, messily typed response.  By the time I got to New York, she was rather fragile, so I never made an effort to meet her.  One of my great nights in New York was the opening night of the Brecht-Weill MAHAGONNY at the Metropolitan Opera, and it was an event, doing exactly what Brecht wanted:  offending all the rich blue-haired ladies who walked out in droves.  It was a great production and Teresa Stratas was truly a wonder.  When the Met broadcast it on PBS (why isn't that available for sale?), Lenya was interviewed and she seemed very drugged out.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2004, 01:10:43 PM »

Don't believe that apocryphal story about GYPSY for a minute, WEL. No way on earth that Warners would have risked their investment with those lousy Russell vocals.

I believe Warners did remove "Together" and the last half of "You'll Never Get Away from Me" after the premiere engagement, but the vocals we hear now in GYPSY are what was always heard.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up