Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AFTER ALL THE LOVES OF MY LIFE  (Read 22839 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: AFTER ALL THE LOVES OF MY LIFE
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2009, 11:22:04 AM »

Good news about Vermont.   :D

We can't even get basic protections for housing and employment here in Delaware.   >:(

(To tell the truth, the bill keeps passing in the State Assembly, but when it goes to committee in the Senate, it goes to the Small Business Committee, and the chairman of said committee is staunchly against it, so he puts it aside and never even lets his own committee discuss the bill.  Happens every year.  The kicker is that the State Assembly is controlled by the Republicans, so it's passage there is due to the support of the Republicans.  And the guy in the Senate who keeps blocking it in committee?  Yep, typical topsy-turvey Delaware, he's a Democrat.)

(The good news is, same Senator put forward a bill in the Senate this year that would ban any form of gay marriage in Delaware.  The Senate overwhelmingly voted against his bill.  At least we're doing some things right.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »

For any and all Whovians out there, the London Times Online has a pretty good interview with Russel T. Davies and David Tennant.

And elsewhere, Davies has made it official: the Doctor's companion for the final two episodes will be Wilfred Mott, played by Bernard Cribbins.  Making ol' Wilf the Doctor's oldest (chronologically) companion ever!  (Not yet confirmed is Catherine Tate as Donna Noble, but the rumors are flying!)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:51:57 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »

As for the TOD:

Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

To which, this disc follows the same kind of "concert" format:

Caribou, by Elton John

And our own esteemed BK is guilty of introducting me to Rupert Holmes' Widescreen, thanks to his reissuing it on CD.

BK is also the guilty party behind A Broadway Love Story.  I haven't decided if his sentences sould be consecutive or concurrent, but I'm leaning towards the concurrent thanks to the quodlibet "You're Just In Love" on BLS.

;D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2009, 11:48:36 AM »

Unwanted Facial Hair Department:  I was watching either The Daily Show or Colbert last night when a commercial popped on about some new prescription cream to remove unwanted facial hair (for women).  The dermatologist recommending the cream is the same lady who a) had no clue what my skin issue is and, b) equally had no clue as to what this weird growth on Zach's foot is.  Caveat emptor.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2009, 11:53:24 AM »

"I'm not a real dermatologist, I just play one on TV!"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2009, 12:22:56 PM »

....And after almost three hours straight of music-editing...

BASTA!!!!

-And most likely a nap too.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »

Rest in peace, Jack Wrangler!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

Awww.  He was so much fun in Kansas City Trucking Co.

:'(

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »

For any and all Whovians out there, the London Times Online has a pretty good interview with Russel T. Davies and David Tennant.

And elsewhere, Davies has made it official: the Doctor's companion for the final two episodes will be Wilfred Mott, played by Bernard Cribbins.  Making ol' Wilf the Doctor's oldest (chronologically) companion ever!  (Not yet confirmed is Catherine Tate as Donna Noble, but the rumors are flying!)

Thanks for the info!  I'll read it all when I get home.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2009, 01:10:08 PM »

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2009, 01:10:10 PM »

And The Song Of The Day Is: ROUTE 66

But too many versions leave out the lyric

You'll like the aroma
Of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I resent this, having been raised in Tulsa, as was Jason Graae, who informs us that Tulsa is A Slut spelled backwards.  Had I only known!

Also, Susan Watson is from Tulsa.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »

I had some fun viewing this afternoon. I began by watching last night's CASTLE. It was an interesting case and I quite enjoyed not having to endure much of Susan Sullivan as the mother. Her part last night was just the right amount of her per episode that they should use.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2009, 01:13:07 PM »

Rest in peace, Jack Wrangler!

Jack Wrangler died? He was such a nice man!

I really am sorry to hear about his death. He was always friendly, and I hadn't run into him in several years. My last memory is seeing him on Seventh Avenue around 48th Street. When I worked with Margaret Whiting for the "Wall-to-Wall Loesser" in 1998, she seemed very dependent upon him.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:19:26 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »

I also sped through yesterday's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest, but the boys were in today's episode which I haven't gotten to yet. I'll see it later today.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »

I spent the remainder of the afternoon watching the rest of the bonus features on GIGI.

I began with Jeanie Basinger's audio commentary. Not all that well organized but it was scene specific and occasionally she was joined by Leslie Caron's previously recorded comments.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2009, 01:17:17 PM »

Next I watched the 1949 version of GIGI. How interesting to watch the same familiar scenes played by a completely different cast and without those marvelous songs. Of course, without those, it ran a brisk 82 minutes. Much more a drawing room comedy in this version with precious little spectacle (though they did visit the Ice Palace just as in the musical version.)

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »

Then I watched the short THE MILKLION DOLLAR NICKEL, a 1952 short subject made in the midst of the Cold War admonishing Americans to use the five cent air mail stamp to send letters to Europe and Asia to combat the propoganda being spread there about how bad life was in America. Four foreign-born MGM stars asked in their own native tongues for people to write letters: Pier Angeli, Ricardo Montalban, Zaa Zaa Gabor, and Leslie Caron (which, I suppose, is why this short was included on the disc).

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2009, 01:21:21 PM »

The trailer was on the disc, too, made after the film had opened in NYC at a legitimate theater rather than at a regular movie theater. Quite a difference in color between that faded trailer and the popping colors in the new remaster.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »

The last bonus was a Tom & Jerry cartoon in Cinemascope - THE VANISHING DUCK. It wasn't particularly amusing.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »

TOD - the one and only time I've been to Academy Records on 18th St. in NYC, DR Elmore found for me a copy of the Ragtime recording that was made before the show opened on Broadway.  Is that a concept album?

I believe it is a recording of the Toronto cast, although it is called "Songs from".  But it is worth having just for "The Show Biz", which was cut from the show.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

DAW

« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »

I believe it is a recording of the Toronto cast

And at the rate you're going, I'm sure you'll be listening to it.   Sometime in 2012.       ;)

Kerry

« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2009, 01:54:12 PM »

My curmudgeon rant of the day:

My mail has not arrived before 4:30 in the afternoon for the past few months  EXCEPT on days that I want to mail something out at noon in which case the postman has already been here!!!!!! >:( :( :P :-\

Oh well, may that be my biggest problem today.   8)
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »

Sad about Mr. Wrangler.  The documentary about him is very good:  JACK WRANGLER:  ANATOMY OF AN ICON.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »

I see that NBC has moved the low-rated KINGS from Sundays to Saturdays to burn off its remaining episodes.

The network couldn't buy a hit show. I would HATE to have a show premiering on the network at this time in its history.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »

I'm jumping off-line now to finish writing up GIGI.

Then, I'll head back down for some fun viewing this evening.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »

TOD - the one and only time I've been to Academy Records on 18th St. in NYC, DR Elmore found for me a copy of the Ragtime recording that was made before the show opened on Broadway.  Is that a concept album?

I believe it is a recording of the Toronto cast, although it is called "Songs from".  But it is worth having just for "The Show Biz", which was cut from the show.

It was an album made before the show was finally mounted so there are major differences in some numbers between the recording and what ended up on stage. It iasn't technically a cast album but it does employ the workshop cast.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... I decided to head out for a bit, mainly to get out of the office just to get some fresh air.  I figured I might as well drive across the Ravenel Bridge, and wander around a bit before heading back for tonight's rehearsal.  Well...

As I left the parking lot, I thought I heard a knocking sound coming from somewhere on the passenger side of the car.  It only got louder as I approached the bridge.  However, once I was on the bridge and driving at speed (55mph - which is strictly enforced here), the sound disappeared.  That was until I took the exit for Meeting Street.  As I slowed down the knocking "appeared" again, and got louder and to the point where I could feel it in the floorboards.  Most definitely not a good thing.  So, I turned around as soon as I was able to, and headed back to the theatre.  -And, yes ,the knocking continued.

Our Bialystock actually does work on cars, and I'll see if he can take the car for a drive around the parking lot before or after rehearsal, just to make sure it's "safe".  It could just be something off-balance, or maybe a piston, or... However, I sense it may have something to do with one of the tire's ball and/or CV joints, and, if so, I definitely don't and won't feel safe driving back to the apartment tonight - especially since I have to be on the highway for part of that drive.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »

It was an album made before the show was finally mounted so there are major differences in some numbers between the recording and what ended up on stage. It iasn't technically a cast album but it does employ the workshop cast.

And if you listen carefully - and look at the fine print in the booklet for the Original Broadway Cast Recording - you will notice that Audra McDonald's opening number, "Your Daddy's Son", as well as the duet, "Wheels Of A Dream", were ported over from the Toronto Cast/Studio recording.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »

...And it would have been quite interesting to see what stories would be out there right now had Camille Saviola stayed on as Emma Goldman.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »

...And it would have been quite interesting to see what stories would be out there right now had Camille Saviola stayed on as Emma Goldman.  ;)

I always wondered why she didn't, in the first place.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up