Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: A PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENIC WITH ADOLESCENT TENDENCIES  (Read 27583 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: A PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENIC WITH ADOLESCENT TENDENCIES
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46:37 AM »

I forgot to mention last night that I also finished THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS on Blu-ray last night.

I love the movie and think it's a super thriller, but I've never quite understood why Jamie toys with Clarice at the end. I've never read the book, so maybe the book gives insight into this. Was he planning on taking her alive to get more skin for his "costume," or did he not want to put a bullet in her head to keep her lustrous hair intact? (It certainly looks like he's about to shoot her in the head at the very end.) I just never quite bought that he'd let her flail around in the dark for so long without shooting her dead.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »

Good morning, all! After trying to sleep two hours last night, the barking finally drove me out of bed to post, and while I was posting I heard footsteps above me. I ran to the 4th floor and there was a young Israeli guy taking the dog for a walk. I started yelling at him and when I told him the dog had barked till 3am, he said "3am?" and I said, yes, indeedy, and the dog should be on tranqullizers. I went to bed, hoping that I would pass out  before the next barking session began, and I heard the dog - it really is the cutest boxer and I honestly do feel very sorry for its abandonment this week - and his walker return. I think the kid slept all night in the apartment because the next thing I knew, it was 8 am and I had slept all night. I troed to sleep longer but I cannot fall asleep in a bright room.

Today, my neighbor returns from Toronto and I will be curious to see how this meeting goes.

I just cancelled 11 backorders with Amazon.com. Until the fascist asses controlling and censoring their stock reverse their policies, I will order from Barnes & Noble, Deep Discount, and others.

I have luckily repressed most of my draft summons memories. I remember the bus to Cincinnati and the general panic all of us students felt at being summoned, And I rememebr the party in the costume shop of the theatre dept when I reported I was a free agent.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »

I really don't want to hear any stinkin' draft whining.  How many of YOU had a General for a father?  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 08:12:28 AM »

Today's enigmatic email hyperlinked message:

##Nice Pills Blue click here
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 08:19:46 AM »

Well, I need to head downstairs now to get cleaned up for my lunch out today with best friend John.

WBBL.

DAW

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 08:19:48 AM »

How many of YOU had a General for a father? 

Or Private Parts?      ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 08:31:17 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I slept in this morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 08:38:11 AM »

In other news...

I believe I'm actually starting to feel nervous.  Hmmm...  It's been a while since I've had "this" feeling. I don't really miss it, but in a way I do.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »

I'm up and shall do the long jog in about forty-five minutes - hoping the sun breaks through during that time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »

DR vixmom - ~~~~~CONTINUED VIBES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY~~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »

I'm tired, though.

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 08:53:08 AM »

DR Vixmom glad your dad is doing okay. Vibes for his recovery. ~~~~~~~

DR Cillaliz nice pic of you and your mom!

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »

I am not feeling well. Last night my throat was hurting and i had aches and the chills (but no fever when i took my temp). I tossed and turned from midnight to 3am. Then just got up at 4am.

My throat is in excrutiating pain. Not sure what to do. I've tried gargling with salt water. and i've taken losenzes. And taken motrin (since my head was hurting too and the because of the chills and aches). I've tried drinking hot liquid.

I doubt going to the doctor so soon would help. They always want you to wait a few days to see if it gets better on its own. And they like to test for strepe and have you wait (which it never is for me).

When i swallow it is brutal. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 09:03:39 AM »

DR Elmore i like DR Jose's suggestions re: helping you to fall asleep.

Ear plugs could help. But i would go further than putting the tv on snow. Put it on any show. I find if someone is snoring or being noisy the tv helps me a lot!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »

DR Jennifer - ~~~~~GET WELL VIBES~~~~

In the meantime, either see a doctor or stay home.  If you do have "something", don't spread it around.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 09:08:36 AM »

re: last night's TAR

kj iu kj iu kj 89 iu ty io po iu iu iu iu iu kjkjkjkj iuiuiu iu iuyg ty ty yt jh jk kll;kkjkj
It was definitely an interesting show. I did think that the sisters would get back before the stuntmen arrived (who knew they were brothers?). I was surprised that they didn't. And who knew you could not barter for your cab bill. Those stuntmen obviously did not read the rules. The sisters were lucky their passports were still there. How stupid could they be to leave them there. I could maybe understand re: the bags. But the passports and money???? What were they thinking. And why didn't the stuntmen just ask the taxi with the bags to meet them at the pit stop? I think they will be in trouble next week. And wow sister vs deaf kid. Next week looks crazy Glad my fav team (red-heads) is doing so well!
kj ui iu iu iu kj iu kj kj iu kj iu kj kjkjkj iuiuiu iu iu iu iu iu iu iu iu iu iu iukj iu kjkjkj jk

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »

DR Jennifer - ~~~~~GET WELL VIBES~~~~

In the meantime, either see a doctor or stay home.  If you do have "something", don't spread it around.

I am staying home. I would see a doctor if i thought they would give me something. But i really think that they would want to see if it went away on its own.  I just wish it didn't hurt so much.

Thanks for the vibes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 09:10:02 AM »

RE: the draft

At any rate, though quite a few guys claimed to be gay to get out of serving, I kept it to myself. I had been assured that should I be drafted, I would not be placed in an infantry unit. With a college degree and practice teaching experience and a teaching credential, I was assured I'd either be serving as a clerk in an office, or with some political wheel-greasing, I'd be teaching the children of army bigshots on some military post somewhere. Since my family were great friends of Senator Strom Thurmond who was quite pwoerful in national politics at the time, I knew I'd have the pull to get a teaching appointment if I got drafted.

So, even though they never reached my number, I was fully ready to go in if I got called.

During the Vietnam era, the enlisted ranks were filled with men and women with college degrees.  It was an embarrassment of riches for the military at that time.  Anyone with a low draft number but with a student deferment had a better-than-even chance of applying to become an officer before being graduated.  The Marine Corps visited my college campus recruiting juniors who, during the break before the senior year, would attend a basic training.  The officer trainee would return to finish his last year of college at his own expense and then would be given his commission and sent off to training for whatever occupational specialty for which he was best suited.  Other services did the same thing.  There were other service recruiters there, but I talked to the Marine recruiter.  I was ready to sign up.  Unfortunately for him, I needed a parent's permission (parent being the one paying for the education, as it were).  My father drove up to the school and talked me out of it.  At least, it seems like that's what he did.  I knew I wouldn't win the argument, but I sure did like the uniform I "might" have been wearing.

My draft number was 91, and I knew I was going to serve somewhere, somehow. (ALL of my friends had numbers in the 300s).  There wasn't any question of lying my way out of it.  Call it what you will, I knew the military was going to be an obstacle between me and my dreams, and I had to handle the mlitary the best way I knew how.  Anything less than a medical reason for being classified 4-F (unsuitable for military service) would, at that time, follow you around and make it unlikely you'd ever get the jobs you really wanted.  At least, where I came from that was the case.

As Matt pointed out about a "gay" deferment, that was like wearing a pink star.  At that time, employers always checked your military status.  The "gay" flag was instant "We're sorry, but we can't use you."

The military isn't suited for everyone, of course.  One needs to be able to immerse oneself into being a team player.  It's not about the one, it's about the many.  Several guys in my company were discharged during boot camp.  One was totally by design.  He began wetting his bed regularly after he realized he had made a mistake by passing the physical.  Another had a meltdown.  Sweet guy, though. 

In consonance with TOD, what is the scariest thing you've ever had to get out of (or thing you didn't want to do):

I hated my first two years in the Navy because I hated the occupational rating they forced upon me.  I was a "Radioman".  School was fun.  I was a quick learner in Morse Code (but it was no longer used except for emergency communications) and could tune the equipment readily enough.  At my first duty station, I spent my first month cleaning two bathrooms and waxing/polishing the hallway.  Happily, two weeks into that another guy joined me.  He had recently been graduated from Amherst.  We had a lot in common and became fast friends.  Sometime after that -- a week or so -- the division officer's secretary called us into her office.  She was baffled why two college grads were cleaning heads and passageways when, as she put it, "idiots were running the communications center." 

We were both integrated into the Comm Center within the day and two new arrivals took over the janitorial duties in the passageway and heads.  In the message center, I found that I was expected to make coffee, run off messages on a mimeograph machine and, once a week, swab and wax the floor. 

Over the next year, my friend and I were both promoted to Radioman Third Class (we became "petty officers").  That was still at the bottom of the pecking order, but it was a healthy pay raise.   In late 1972, my friend applied for a commission and got his approval in Spring 1972.  During that same spring, I applied for a change of rating to become a Journalist.  That, in itself, was a minor drama with my request form being torn up by my leading petty officer (this, in the era of Admiral Elmo Zumwalt who "modernized" Navy thinking), the first person who had a crack at it. 

I knew that if I was to finish my four-year obligation I'd need to improve my circumstances.  Journalism had been a closed rating for several years for the Navy.  It was a "plum" rating -- that's PLUM as in highly desirable.  In that Spring of 1972, a friend in our personnel office informed me the rating had opened back up and thought I might like to apply.

Request forms (aka "chits") could be approved or disapproved.  They had to run the course of the chain of command, however.  In this case, I had a leading petty officer, five chief petty officers (whose function, as far as I could tell, was to drink all the coffee I and another guy in my section could make in an 8-hour shift), the communications officer (the division officer to whom I referred earlier) and, ultimately, the Commanding Officer of Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Florida.

Another petty officer in the division heard about what happened and told me to fill out another form.  When I had, he went to the leading petty officer with me and told him, point-blank, that he could approve it or disapprove it, but that he had to send it along.

The LPO smirked and disapproved it and handed it back to me to take to the chiefs.  The other petty officer said, "No!  You take it in.  Pulliam doesn't get it back until the final sign-off."

A day later I was called in by one of the chiefs.  They were all in one room, fingers firmly hooked into their coffee-cup handles.  I was told to sit and, one by one, I was regaled with stories about "other radiomen" they knew who had attempted to change ratings and failed.   The Navy, they said, "spent thousands of dollars on you" to make you into a Radioman.  They further reminded me that they had recently gotten me a top secret clearance and decryption training.  "This", they said, is what you are meant to do.  I thanked them kindly, told them I understood their points-of-view, and absolved them by telling them I understood they'd have to disapprove the request, but that I still wanted it to go forward.

A day later, the commander in charge of the division called me in.  He asked me what the chiefs had said to me.  I told him.  He then said, "If those chief petty officers have told you this is a waste of time and disapproved your request, do you think I'm going to do any differently?"  I professed innocence in having a clue what he might make of it but I still wanted to be a journalist and that I wanted my request to go forward.

Two days later, I got a call from the secretary of the base commanding officer requesting I come to his office after work that day (2 p.m.) for an interview on my request.   

This was a wholly different experience from anything that had gone before.  I was nervous, but not particularly scared.  I knew if I could impress upon him the sincerity of my request, I might have shot.

The CO's office was huge compared to any I'd been in since being on active duty.  His secretary was a lovely woman and her desk was near a set of "saloon doors" that led to his inner santcum.  I had only been seated a few seconds when one of those doors swung open and Captain Smith looked directly at me, smiled and said, "Petty Officer Pulliam, come on in!"

I moved quickly and waited to be told to sit.  He asked his secretary to bring us coffee.  He looked at me and said,"I'm told by one of your co-workers that you drink coffee."  Wow! He caught me off guard with that one!  This was the number-one dude on base, and I was one of a thousand next-to-nobodies  He made small talk, and I'm certain I joined in, while the coffee was put before us.  He took a sip, and then asked me:  "Why do you want to be a Journalist?"

I told him about my college years, my double major in theater and English, my interest in writing, and my interest in learning about public affairs.  I then told him how disappointed I'd been when, in boot camp, I'd been placed into the radioman rating.  I had, I explained, done a very good job on the Foreign Language Aptitude Test and that I'd hoped I might have been taken into one of the "naval intelligence" programs at the very least.

He laughed.  Yes, he admitted, I had a very high FLAT score.  (He had reviewed my records!!!)  He said he was amazed that they'd decided on the radioman rating for me, too.  Radioman, as a rating, was considered highly critical, though, and sometimes people are classified for the school based on other scores that are deemed desirable for the rating.

He asked me to write a couple of pages on why I wanted to be a Journalist and how I felt it would benefit the Navy more than my being a radioman.  I was to drop it off with his secretary (in the next couple of days).

I went back to the barracks and began writing.  I wrote and wrote.  I edited.  I wrote some more.  I re-copied everything.  Several times.

Next morning, on my way to work, I dropped off my final two-page declaration.

A week passed.  I had no concept of when I might get some news about the CO's decision.  What I didn't expect, in the middle of the second week,  was to arrive at work and find that the door's cypher lock codes had been changed.  I rang the bell.  One of my co-workers looked out the window and said, "Oh!  Wait a minute!."  I expected the door to open, but I waited.  And I waited.  And then, one of the chiefs came out.  He handed me a message and told me to read it.  It was my orders to report to the Defense Information School, Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana, in six weeks.  The other petty officer stuck his head out the door and told me the CO wanted me to drop by his office after getting that message.

I was so happy I could barely function.  My head was swimming as I made my way to the administration building.  Upon entering the CO's office, his secretary stood and stuck out her hand.  "Congratulations!" she said.  She then handed me my two-page declaration on why I wanted to be a Journalist.  Attached to it was my request chit.  She told me to make note of all the signatures and recommendations.   At the bottom was the CO's with a big check mark by "Approved".  Above that were the signatures of the communications officer, three of the five chiefs and the leading petty officer.  They were all checked "Approved", too....but the check marks in "Disapproved" had been whited out.

She laughed and said the CO had invited them all to his office the day after I'd submitted my writing.  He asked them if any of them knew "why" I had requested to change ratings to become a Journalist.  Not one of them knew because not one of them had asked.  He then handed each of them copies of my two pages and directed them to read.  He had then told them all to see his secretary who would help them, if they chose, make a better-informed decision before they left his office.

She also told me I was to spend the rest of my time at NAS Jacksonville working in the base public affairs office.

That was the beginning of a career.  I didn't know it at the time, of course.  I met many extraordinary people, had many extraordinary experiences, and have tons of extraordinary memories because of it.  And, of course, there's the lifetime pension. 

It was a good time, it was the best time...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:47:09 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 09:24:04 AM »

I still remember going to the post office to fill out and drop off the Selective Service forms... And since that was around the time when the troubles in the Middle East had started escalating again - the Iran-Iraq War, well...

*And I still remember a fellow college student who lived in my housing complex who had come back from Persian Gulf during the middle of my freshman year. It/he was the first case of post-traumatic stress syndrome I had ever seen, dealt with. Since we lived in university-sponsored off-campus housing, we had to take a bus between campus and the apartments. There was one time when he went through an episode during the bus ride back to the apartments... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... I can tell that if I don't start making my way to the theatre now, I will most likely end up lazing around the apartment for more hours than I should, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »

HEALING & BIOPSY VIBES FOR DF OF DR VIXMOM & DGF OF DR VIXTER!

Jane

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 09:43:25 AM »

DR Ron, GREAT STORY!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

DR Elmore i like DR Jose's suggestions re: helping you to fall asleep.

Ear plugs could help. But i would go further than putting the tv on snow. Put it on any show. I find if someone is snoring or being noisy the tv helps me a lot!

I am not going to let a barking dog alter my routine. I'll see it evicted first.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »

Hello and greetings from LA!
For real this time. :)  I can see and hear the Hollywood Freeway as I write.

I got in late Friday night. A friend picked me up at the airport and I've been getting settled and reacquainted with LA. DF&H#2's house is VERY high-tech. I've been getting a crash course in how to use the home theatre, the alarm, where everything is kept, etc. I can work the DVD just fine, but I'm still learning how to turn the lights on and off.  ???

DF&H#2 has a dog, a beagle. I'm now Deputy Dog Walker here, too, which means I need to learn my way around the neighborhood so I can find my way home!

My car should arrive later this week, plus eight boxes of stuff I sent UPS from Florida. That's in addition to all the boxes I sent here before I actually moved. Oy! And I threw out more stuff, too! It's hell being a pack rat.   

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2009, 10:05:31 AM »

Lots of little things to take care of. I'll try to check in later.

TTFN.

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »

Vibes to Vixfam!  DR Vixmom - please continue taking care of yourself, too!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »

DR Jeanne - congratulations on your arrival in LA!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2009, 10:08:38 AM »

DR elmore there are Boxer rescue groups near you & multiple animal protection groups.  There must be someone who can come to this dog's rescue, and in return your rescue.  At the least help the owner take better care of his dog.  I hope other people can hear the dog to verify your reports. 

If nothing changes after the owner returns, or the dog is ever left alone for days again, I suggest finding a group who will come to the aid of the dog.  In the meantime I suggest keeping a written record of the days & hours the dog barks.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2009, 10:10:02 AM »

DR Jeanne, I hope your return to L.A. is everything & more than you hope for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up