Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SOUND OF MUSIC  (Read 20553 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: THE SOUND OF MUSIC
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »

Here's just a teeny-tiny reality check - twenty cases of swine flu do not an "epidemic" make.  ...but I should think the word "epidemic" is the media's.  I cut no slack to the reprehensible media, I'm afraid.  They should all be drawn and quartered and run out of town on a rail. 

I have seen no instance of the media reporting the existence of an "epidemic" - there is just the reasonable concern that the "outbreak" could become an epidemic.

And the "20 cases" are just the US confirmed - there are over 1000 in Mexico and others in Canada, Spain, and probably New Zealand.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2009, 06:31:40 PM »

A question for BK or any knowledgeable Californian...

Is Dana Point, California anywhere near North Hollywood?

I'm reading up on the history of skateboarding and finding conflicting info on who sold the first skateboard.

All the sources say that Bill Richards sold them from Val's Surf in 1959, at Dana Point, but the Val's Surf site itself says they weren't founded until 1962...

There's also MapQuest.

I was also kind of hoping for memories of skateboarding in the 1960s, but gee, thanks so bloody much for just saying, "No, Dana Point is nowhere near North Hollywood."

I meant nothing...other than the directions. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2009, 06:34:09 PM »

New avatar DR TCB?

My new headshot!

Very nice!  I hope that I can see your show. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2009, 06:35:28 PM »

I have no memories of skateboarding. I do, however, have memories of roller skating. I remember the trip to the ER and the cast on my arm.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »

Here's just a teeny-tiny reality check - twenty cases of swine flu do not an "epidemic" make.  ...but I should think the word "epidemic" is the media's.  I cut no slack to the reprehensible media, I'm afraid.  They should all be drawn and quartered and run out of town on a rail. 

I have seen no instance of the media reporting the existence of an "epidemic" - there is just the reasonable concern that the "outbreak" could become an epidemic.

And the "20 cases" are just the US confirmed - there are over 1000 in Mexico and others in Canada, Spain, and probably New Zealand.

der Brucer

I would expect nothing less from you, of course.  Here in the real world, especially on radio 980 they have called it an "epidemic" since they first broke the story two days ago.  Every twenty minutes we hear the word "epidemic" and I have news for you - it is hardly the only station or news broadcast that has said it.  The only difference being is that when 980 says it it's not accompanied by a film score.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »

Keep the info to yourself, DR JANE.  It will be better that way.

I disagree.  I do find it very sad & wonder what makes a person so cynical they don't recognize an attempt to be nice.

I used to be extremely sensitive, honestly with good reason, & slowly realized it is best to takes things as if they were meant to be kind & generous.  If they weren't, then for the most part I can ignore or laugh it off.  It really makes life easier & nicer.  I think more often then not when our feelings are hurt, or if someone is rude to us, it is due to lack of interpretation than a true intention on the other person to make us feel bad.  Of course there is that large population of people out there who are truly clueless. ::) 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »

New avatar DR TCB?

Have you lost weight?

Not enough!

How much?  I almost didn't recognize you, more because I always think of you with a mustache.;) Nice avatar.

Maybe I will look fatter in real size.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »

Nice headshot, TCB.

Thanks, BK.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »

DT TCB you look more handsome in real size :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2009, 06:39:44 PM »

New avatar DR TCB?

My new headshot!

Very nice!  I hope that I can see your show. :D

Thanks.  I actually move in the show.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2009, 06:39:51 PM »

Bruce, you should read the news instead of watching it. ;)

George

« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »

I'm still watching the TV Land Awards. 

Just had to share.  ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »

True story...

I just did a final check of the drawers and cabinets here in this apartment.  I guess there were a few cabinets and drawers I did not check when I got here seven weeks ago. I just came across an extra set of sheets, a whole other set of towels, a broom, and a mop.  -At least I was able to borrow the vacuum cleaner from the rehearsal studio. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »

der Brucer

I would expect nothing less from you, of course.  Here in the real world, especially on radio 980 they have called it an "epidemic" since they first broke the story two days ago.  Every twenty minutes we hear the word "epidemic" and I have news for you - it is hardly the only station or news broadcast that has said it.  The only difference being is that when 980 says it it's not accompanied by a film score.

bk - What would you like it to be called?  Even terming this as an "outbreak" could seem alarmist to some people.  At least by calling it an "epidemic", people are paying attention, checking themselves and their friends and family, and taking precautions.

In any case...  I just hope everyone stays healthy.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »

Keep the info to yourself, DR JANE.  It will be better that way.

I disagree.  I do find it very sad & wonder what makes a person so cynical they don't recognize an attempt to be nice.

I used to be extremely sensitive, honestly with good reason, & slowly realized it is best to takes things as if they were meant to be kind & generous.  If they weren't, then for the most part I can ignore or laugh it off.  It really makes life easier & nicer.  I think more often then not when our feelings are hurt, or if someone is rude to us, it is due to lack of interpretation than a true intention on the other person to make us feel bad.  Of course there is that large population of people out there who are truly clueless. ::) 

I think that is the main problem with internet communications.  Everyone can read their own moods and attitudes into the written word.  Often, something that is written to mean one thing, comes across an entirely different way.  We have seen that many times on HHW, where a post is taken out of context.
“One thing’s universal,

DAW

« Reply #285 on: April 26, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »

where a post is taken out of context.

I never do that.

DAW

« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »

;)

DAW

« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »

I love your new headshot, DR TCB!    :)

Jane

« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »

Ben

« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »

Before it's too late I must wish Jennifer a Happy Birthday.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:57:47 PM by Ben »

FJL

« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »

Great news, Ginny!  Congrats to Richard

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2009, 06:52:08 PM »

I do, however, have memories of roller skating. I remember the trip to the ER and the cast on my arm.

Did you tie your key on a shoe-lace around your neck?

der Brucer

I broke my right hand and was in a splint for months - my mean 4th grade teacher made me do my work left handed!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2009, 06:52:24 PM »

So, I believe I shall be heading to the closing night/cast/birthday party around 10:30. I plan to stay for just about an hour.  And then after a couple of hours of sleep, I think I'm going to head back to Hominy Grill in the morning for my final "Charleston Breakfast".  I'm in the mood for a "Big Nasty Biscuit".
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »

Danise - Glad you're taking some action

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #294 on: April 26, 2009, 06:52:48 PM »

I love your new headshot, DR TCB!    :)

Thank you, kind sir.  Unfortunately, at my age there is only so much you can do with PhotoShop.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »

I am back in Manhattan after a whirlwind trip to Long Island. Don't know what will happen with the car. Anthony's father may pay for the repairs which would be a great relief to Anthony. We will know more tomorrow.

He was very sad to hear about MacGregor and was also glad that I didn't tell him until yesterday.

He was scheduled to arrive in Manhattan early Friday evening but the car trouble changed all that. He didn't get here until about 9:15 but some luck was still around since he got a parking spot in front of the building. We unloaded the car and didn't get to bed until after midnight what with unpacking et al. Even though Saturday was a gorgeous day in New York City we stayed in and got settled, having decided not to try a trip to Long Island until early Sunday morning to avoid as much traffic as possible. We left about 6:45 and by 7:10 we were at the Midtown Tunnel but didn't think we would make it. Anthony fiddled with the parking brake and that seemed to relieve the problem a bit so we headed into the tunnel and finally arrived at Phil and Rose's about 8:45. His father heard the sound the car was making and realized how serious is was (is). We just hung out at the house (with a side trip to Trader Joe's in the other car that Rose drives). I did some computer maintenance and we had a nice dinner of rigatoni with homemade tomato sauce and great meatballs. I was driven to the train station and got home without incident.

It's almost 10pm and I have a meeting at the Ford Foundation tomorrow afternoon so I'm going to bed.

See you all in the morning (at least those of you on the East Coast).

Jane

« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »

I do, however, have memories of roller skating. I remember the trip to the ER and the cast on my arm.

Did you tie your key on a shoe-lace around your neck?

der Brucer

I broke my right hand and was in a splint for months - my mean 4th grade teacher made me do my work left handed!

Yup, wore a key on a string tied over my neck.

Fortunately I didn't break anything.  Are you ambidextrous now?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #297 on: April 26, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »

DR Ben - ...I'm just glad that the "car gods" were with you and Ant. It's never a good thing when your hear "yourself" on the radio traffic reports. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #298 on: April 26, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »

DR Ben, that will be very nice if Anthony's parents pay for the car repairs.  From the description it really is lucky he not only made it home safely, but that you both made it to Long Island.

Twice while in L.A. we lost pets.  Odd that both times I suddenly knew.  If you don't say it out loud then it isn't true & much better to wait for the news.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #299 on: April 26, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »

And my luggage is packed!  :)

Of course, now I'm feeling the events of today catching up with me... I have a feeling my appearance at the partay will be a brief one.  -But just brief enough to give everyone a good hug. :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up