Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKING THINGS UP  (Read 49577 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:SHAKING THINGS UP
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2004, 01:42:55 PM »

Ask BK Day!

I am sure you have answered this before, but I promise to pay attention this time:  Setting aside, for the moment, all the big flops and failures of the musical theater; is there a big smash-hit musical that everybody else seems to love, but that you would rather have a root canal than have to sit through again?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2004, 01:49:49 PM »

CATS
RENT

Those are jsut the ones with four letter titles.

Jennifer

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2004, 01:59:32 PM »

Here is a very interesting piece!

Brown, Guettel, and LaChiusa Discuss Musical Theater at Drama Book Shop:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm?int_news_id=4504

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2004, 02:00:57 PM »

I'll be booking the Ray Court's Hollywood Collector's Showcase show in a couple of weeks.  Ray actually called to see if I wanted to do the April show, but it's coming up too quickly, and I like the June show anyway.  Plus, I've convinced my friend Penny Peyser to do it with me, so we'll be sitting next to each other and having a blast.  This will be her first show and I think she'll have loads of fun.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2004, 02:10:23 PM »

I'll be booking the Ray Court's Hollywood Collector's Showcase show in a couple of weeks.  Ray actually called to see if I wanted to do the April show, but it's coming up too quickly, and I like the June show anyway.  Plus, I've convinced my friend Penny Peyser to do it with me, so we'll be sitting next to each other and having a blast.  This will be her first show and I think she'll have loads of fun.

Wasn't Penny Peyser in the TV-movie of Pandora's Clock?  That movie was based on the book written by my old-friend John Nance.  I once directed John in that epic political comedy, Sheep on the Runway.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 02:16:37 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2004, 02:13:50 PM »

If that's the airplane movie, yes, she was in it.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2004, 02:21:10 PM »

Color: rust
Sport: Ping Pong
Song (of the day): Nobody's Heart (By Jupiter)
Month: May
Day of the week:  Tuesday
Musical(s): My Fair Lady, Most Happy Fella, She Loves Me
Clothing item: V- neck sweater
Movie: Some Like It Hot
Food: mango
Drink: seabreeze
Thing that relaxes me: reading magazines while lazing on a beach  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2004, 02:21:10 PM »

Here is a very interesting piece!

Brown, Guettel, and LaChiusa Discuss Musical Theater at Drama Book Shop:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm?int_news_id=4504
Yep, got the book, and that's where I got it...a couple of days early.  Drat.  Wish we could have been there.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2004, 02:22:48 PM »

The wonders of international Mail and international males.
A new Cd by the talented Mr Guy Haines and a new novel by his friend Mr Bruce Kimmel.
I am looking forward to the enjoyment of both.
Thanks BK.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 02:26:20 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2004, 02:25:02 PM »

Bruce are you ready for a phone call?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2004, 02:27:51 PM »

DR Panni especially,

I stopped at the Coffee Mill mid-morning and had a good cup of coffee (with free refill) and the most scrumptious apple strudel. Thanks for reminding me about this charming spot. Then, along Yorkville Ave., I passed a restaurant called the "Courtyard - home of Toronto's best Hungarian food." The lunch menu chalked on the blackboard in front listed "Chicken Paprikash," and you'll be pleased to know that I erased the "h." (And no, folks, the sign does not now read Cicken Paprikash.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 02:29:36 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2004, 02:46:12 PM »

Today in the mailbox was the (free) Spring 2004 issue of Show People. I wasn't impressed with the content, and not just because much of it is dated (opening night of Taboo?). The editing is poor (Chita Rivera: "I love to swim or just lay on the warm black sand"). But the headings are the worst:

"Raisin d'etre" (you guessed it, P. Diddy in Raisin in the Sun); "Monroe Doctrine" (After the Fall); and - this is really offensive - "Anne, Frank" - above a caption about "The outspoken Heche."

« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 03:29:24 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2004, 02:53:24 PM »

A question to all the "Irish" DRs

How many of you are having corned beef and cabbage tonight for dinner?

Are you fixing it yourself, or going out for the festive feasting?

And, to those who aren't, what are you having instead?

(All right, that's three questions.  I've just started ours on the stove, with a can of beef broth added to the braising liquid, a peeled onion, and a couple of carrots and celery stalks each, both chopped.  The cabbage and taters will go in later...much later.)

(And yes, thrifty me, I'm planning on taking that braising liquid, straining it, and freezing it for use again later!  A bit more Scots than Irish, but it works!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2004, 03:12:13 PM »

Good Afternoon!

-WOW!  They're showing current footage from O'Toole's, an Irish pub here in Richmond, on the news right now.  That place is packed!!!  And I thought it only got close that during opening night cast parties!

DR Stuart - Yes, as DR SWW pointed out earlier, I, too, and am Alton Brown fan.  Of course, tonight's episodes are in honor of St. Patrick's Day, but even a rerun of "Good Eats" is a lot better then some first-run sitcom episodes lately.  *I also found out that the small, funky bookstore here in Richmond that hosted both signing for Alton Brown and Tyler Florence, still has some signed copies of Alton's first book, "I'm Just Here for the Food".  And since I have a fellow friend/fan with an upcoming birthday...

DRs SWW and DerB - Mark Price is truly one of my favorite people in the world.  Always a guaranteed smile with him in the room.  And I still remember the first read/sing-thru of Sweeney Todd at the Kennedy Center when he had the whole room in tears after the "Not While I'm Around" scene and song.  Even Mr. Sondheim was greatly impressed.  And that was just at the first read/sing-thru!  A very smart, funny and caring guy.

And, yes, it was the costume.  And the cigarette holder.  And the hat. ;-)

DR Noel - I've been meaning to ask...  The other day you mentioned that DR and DW Joy is from the Washington, DC area.  I have to wonder now if our paths have ever crossed.  I've more or less been working in and out Richmond for the past five-six years, but most of that work has been up in DC.  I'm sure I've played an audition or two for her somewhere along the line.  -If not in DC, then maybe in NYC.  Just curious...

I have yet to start packing, but at least I've planned it now.  Once I get back from dinner tonight, and after "American Idol", I will at least get my stuff packed for my housing up in DC.  It's a very nice furnished apartment, so all I've been told I really need to bring is my "favorite pillow".  And since I still have some stuff packed from my last two out-of-town trips, the packing should go fast.  And then I'll start packing up some other stuff.  I sense a late night frenzy coming - which is actually a good thing, since late night frenzies are a normal thing for me.  I also don't have to be at rehearsal until 7:00 tomorrow night, so if I end up sleeping in tomorrow, no harm done.

*I also breathed a big sigh of relief when I remembered that most of the clothes I have to pack are my pit blacks.  I can bring the rest of my non-pit clothes up gradually over the next couple of weeks.

Well, time for me to get ready for dinner... And I'm wearing my olive green button down.  At least that's something.

And as for a green thong?  Hey, remember no thongs, green or otherwise, here on HHW!  -Well, that could be interpreted - rather misconstrued a few ways...  Ah, well...

Erin Go....!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2004, 03:12:35 PM »

The cabbage sounds yummy, but it's tofu for us.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2004, 03:14:29 PM »

I am currently listenting to a cheerful little tune, "Pocketful of Miracles".  Thanks Bruce. :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2004, 03:14:40 PM »

DR SWW - Steve is taking me out for Italian food tonight, so no corned beef and cabbage for me.  However, I will most likely make it this weekend.  *Do you mix applesauce and horseradish together as an accompaniment for your corned beef?  YUMMERS!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2004, 03:16:56 PM »

JoseSPiano, I see you are eating strange combinations again.  Yuk! ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2004, 03:18:27 PM »

Who misses Lawrence Welk, the Lennon Sisters, Bobby and Sissy and Norma Zimmer?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2004, 03:19:29 PM »

Bruce & Penny O, on May 15th Hamilton High is having an alumni picnic.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2004, 03:22:35 PM »

DR SWW - Steve is taking me out for Italian food tonight, so no corned beef and cabbage for me.  However, I will most likely make it this weekend.  *Do you mix applesauce and horseradish together as an accompaniment for your corned beef?  YUMMERS!!
We're more likely to get out a horseradish mustard for this meal, but the horseradish/applesauce mix sounds great!  Thanks for the idea!

(Truth be told, it sounds more like a German combination than Irish.  I'll have to check...)

(And DR Jane, you really need something to spice up that tofu!  Give it a try!)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 03:24:01 PM by S. Woody White »

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2004, 03:27:23 PM »

BK that poster is great! What a double "D: feature that must have been!

And I so wish I had the money to go to that Ray Court's show in June! That is the highlight of my year on the years I get to go!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2004, 03:35:36 PM »

Jane and I had a lovely conversation.  Jane, send me the info about the alum picnic.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2004, 03:35:58 PM »

We're more likely to get out a horseradish mustard for this meal, but the horseradish/applesauce mix sounds great!  Thanks for the idea!

(And DR Jane, you really need something to spice up that tofu!  Give it a try!)

LOL- sure, but not horseradish and mustard.  ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2004, 03:37:07 PM »

I finished Mr. Cal Bolder's book today and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good thriller! Kept me on the edge of my seat, and I ain't just praising it because I like Cal!!! It really is a good book!It is about a Los Angeles police officer who becomes involved in a series of grisly murders in a small Washington town when he returns for a high school class reunion. It is called THE LAST REUNION and it is written under his real name E. C. Craver.

He is planning on more books with the same character, and I imagine his 14 years on the Los Angeles police force will come in handy for the future books!

Now I can dive into Kritzerland and try to catch up with the other DRs!

Jane

« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2004, 03:44:09 PM »

Bruce I’m sorry I forgot to mention the poster.  What a great find.  

Typing & listening to the KRITZER TIME CD and remembering the first time I heard I’M IN LIKE WITH YOU.  Oh, such sweet memories.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2004, 03:49:15 PM »

I came home today and still no KRITZER LAND.  Did any other East Coast DRs get theirs yet?

I also came home to the cornbeef in the slow cooker.  Now all I have to do is cook the cabbage.

Dan-In-Toronto - "Show Peole" is the worst excuse for a theatre magazine I've ever seen.  This is especially surprising considering that I used to enjoy Patrick Pacheco (it's editor) when he wrote for Newsday.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2004, 04:00:24 PM »

SWW Keith said horseradish & mustard sounds reasonable, unlike horseradish & applesauce.  I still say  :P

MBarnum thanks for the book suggestion.  I will also tell my brother to read it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2004, 04:05:03 PM »

A question to all the "Irish" DRs
How many of you are having corned beef and cabbage tonight for dinner?
And, to those who aren't, what are you having instead?

No, I'm not having corned beef and cabbage.  I'm going to my sister's again tonight to help move the (hopefully last) big stuff.  Maybe we'll have some Dirty Dave's Pizza!  Mmmm!!!  ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2004, 04:05:12 PM »

My car door won’t open.  For two days now I have had to crawl in and out through the passenger side.  It’s times like this when I’m glad I’m small.  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up