Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TV IS DEAD  (Read 14357 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: TV IS DEAD
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »

More questions - do Blu-Ray players automatically upconvert standard DVDs or is that some button you have to push.  Also, when a player is reading out at 60hz or whatever but the TV has a smooth video function at 120hz, does one have to set that specifically or is it just doing it?

You set up the upconversion abilities of the player when you do the original set-up of the machine. But you must use HDMI to get the upconversion. The component jacks don't do upconversion.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:28:32 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »

Upconverting is automatic via HDMI.

Not if you don't set the player up to do it from the get-go. At least, my two Blu-ray players require an initial set-up so you can tell the player whether you want 720p, 1080i, or 1080p upconversion.

Other players may not require this though I would think it would be a necessity to tell the machine what your TV's resolution would be.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:37:06 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

I watched last night's CASTLE while I ate lunch. Very enjoyable episode. The family stuff with Castle is finally coming together for the show, and the police work remains interesting.

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »

Next I watched the Blu-ray of STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK. Never one of my favorite TREK films, it played better than I remembered if still lacking some of the adventure and derring-do of STAR TREK II.

The Blu-ray of this one did show that some DNR had been applied, but not that severely. It still looked very good, and the Dolby TrueHD sound was nicely done, too.

Amy

« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »

My favorite deli food?

Corned beef on rye at Canter's in Los Angeles.

Mark's favorite is the pastrami at Canter's in Los Angeles.

My favorite deli food is a tongue sandwich. The one and only time Mark and I went to Musso and Franks in Los Angeles, we had only known each other for a short time, and while we were still reading the menus, Mark said to me, "I'll pay for your lunch if you order the tongue sandwich." This, of course, sounded repulsive to him and he couldn't imagine that anyone would actually want the tongue sandwich. Much to his dismay, that was exactly what I was planning to order, so he had to pay!

My flat screen television exactly fits my wall unit because the speakers are on the bottom, not the sides. All televisions now have the speakers on the sides. If my television ever breaks, I don't know what I'll do because I won't be able to find one to fit my wall unit.

My washing machine broke on Sunday. The Sears repair man is coming on Saturday and I'll find out if it costs less to buy a new one than it does to repair it. And if it does, I'll still owe $70 for the service call. Nice, eh? Meanwhile, my washing machine is sitting full of blue water. It won't drain. Lord only knows what's growing in there now.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »

Next, I pulled out the BONES Season 3 box set and played one of this year's episodes which were added as bonuses since the third season had been shortened by the strike.

I watched "The Man in the Outhouse," the one about the corpse found jammed upside down into an outhouse. Very enjoyable episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »

And I concluded my afternoon entertainment with a skim through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest and nothing in the previews.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2009, 01:45:29 PM »

~~~Washing Machine Vibes for DR Amy!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2009, 02:01:27 PM »

I love Andy Borowitz! Today he's addressing the issue of the anti-gay marriage spokeswoman Miss California:
http://www.borowitzreport.com/
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »

Does this CD cover strike anyone as odd:

I would think that Merman would just as soon push a piano up a staircase before she would sit down at one.

They obviously just Photoshopped Merman in place of Frances from Frances' "Piano Raggin'" (a little inside joke there just for JR).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »

Well, I guess I'll head downstairs now and pick back up with my viewing. I'd like to get another movie watched before I settle in with NCIS tonight around 8:30.

WBBL.

Michael

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »

An open question for all

Does anyone know the actresses who play Sister Catherine and Sister Agatha in The Sound of Music?

They are the other two nuns along with Marni Nixon as Sister Sophia who are part of the trio that sing about MARIA

Marni Nixon who played Sister Sophia (The other singing nun) and Evadne Baker as Sister Bernice are the only other nuns other than Wood, Lee & Nelson who are credited.

Sister Bernice is the nun that tells Mother Abbess that she can't find Maria anywhere.

Sister Catherine (????) L  Sister Sophia (Marni Nixon) middle  Sister Agatha (???) right

I founnd a site on the interenet that listed Ada Beth Lee as "Sister Catherine" and Doreen Trydon as "Sister Agatha".

Thank you very much. Can your provide a link to the website?
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2009, 02:48:47 PM »

Next, I pulled out the BONES Season 3 box set and played one of this year's episodes which were added as bonuses since the third season had been shortened by the strike.

I watched "The Man in the Outhouse," the one about the corpse found jammed upside down into an outhouse. Very enjoyable episode.

Prob'ly not so much for the corpse.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2009, 02:50:49 PM »

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2009, 02:53:01 PM »

An open question for all

Does anyone know the actresses who play Sister Catherine and Sister Agatha in The Sound of Music?

They are the other two nuns along with Marni Nixon as Sister Sophia who are part of the trio that sing about MARIA

Marni Nixon who played Sister Sophia (The other singing nun) and Evadne Baker as Sister Bernice are the only other nuns other than Wood, Lee & Nelson who are credited.

Sister Bernice is the nun that tells Mother Abbess that she can't find Maria anywhere.

Sister Catherine (????) L  Sister Sophia (Marni Nixon) middle  Sister Agatha (???) right

I founnd a site on the interenet that listed Ada Beth Lee as "Sister Catherine" and Doreen Trydon as "Sister Agatha".

Thank you very much. Can your provide a link to the website?

Just thought of this:

Ada Beth Lee. Any relation to Bill Lee who dubbed Christopher Plummer?
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »

It's only 2:45 p.m.

That's 2 hours and 15 minutes from quittin' time.

And I wanna go home!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2009, 03:21:23 PM »

It's only 2:45 p.m.

That's 2 hours and 15 minutes from quittin' time.

And I wanna go home!

Well, I really have only been here at work for four hours, but I'm leavening now.  I'm going to see Grease in Seattle and I need to get gas and run a couple of errands. 

Be back later...much later.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »

A One-Day-Early "Ask BK Day" Question for BK: 

BK, is your play, "Deceit" available for amateur groups?  Theater Artists Olympia, who is putting on "Romeo & Juliet" right now (I'm playing Romeo's father) was planning on doing a two-person adaptation of Stephen King's "Misery," but for some reason the rights got pulled (I don't know the details).  They need another show (and soon) and I think "Deceit" is absolutely perfect for them...one set, a small cast and a LOT of blood. ;D But, I don't want to suggest it, if it's not available. 

So, is it? :)

The answer, to be simple, is yes.  I just haven't placed it anywhere, but a couple of groups have inquired and are thinking about doing it.  I'll just license it myself, which will probably be a little less dough for them, too.  So, if they're interested they should decide and then we'll work out the terms.  Can they watch the DVD?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2009, 03:28:31 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  The new Mitsubishis are coming in a week or two, so it would be silly not to wait and check them out, I think.  I was looking at a Samsung Blu-Ray player - so I have no idea if you have to set up the upconverting or not, but since it's a new generation player, I'd bet it just does it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »

Cason and I had our meeting and I'm through for the day.  I'm listening to CDs - many to catch up on.

Ginny

« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »

Greetings from beautiful Delafield, WI!  It took 9 hours to drive here, but we still arrived in time for us to unload our luggage and for Richard to get over to the seminary for Evening Prayer.  I stayed here at the hotel to unpack and make sure the wireless works.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2009, 03:47:59 PM »

DR Jose, no matter how much you may try to deny it, DARNA is part of your Filipino heritage. Embrace it....and bring back some DVDs/VCDs for JRand and I!

Ginny

« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »

TOD - Cincinnati's famous deli is

Izzy's

My favorite thing to order is beef barley soup and half a Reuben. It comes with a potato pancake, of which I only eat the crispy edges.  Each table has a crock of sauerkraut and a crock of dill pickles.  My mouth is watering just writing this.

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »

Nothing political, but just because it rhymes, in honor of Miss California Carrie Prejean:

I’m just wild about Carrie
The real Prop 8 beauty queen
She’s earned her laurels
For those morals
Peachy and preachy keen

She says that she can’t remember
The things she did at sixteen
But I’ll remember you Carrie
Since California
Chose to adorn ya
A real prop 8 beauty queen

(chorus)
Yes, we’re just wild about Carrie
That real prop 8 beauty queen
That fake endowment
Showed what “wow” meant
Right on our TV screen

Her photos may have seemed sordid
The Lord knows they’re squeaky clean
Yeah, we’re just wild about Carrie
‘Cause if you’re opposite
(Oops, let’s pop a zit)
She’s a real beauty queen!!!

(dance break)

Yeah, we’re just wild about Carrie
She’d never judge us
She’d only nudge us
Right off the national scene!

MBarnum

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »

Fred, you are wonderful! LOL!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:28:31 PM by MBarnum »

FJL

« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »

Thanks, Mike

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »

Hmmm, let me see.................. An airline pilot........ a big hulking brute ................

No phone number?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »

For BK:

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »

I may well be the last DR on this board to buy a digital television.  With the possible exception of Laura DR.

or me.
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2009, 04:29:28 PM »

BK, per my earlier post, it doesn't matter how old your upconverting BD player is, as long as you have it connected via HDMI, it will upconvert automatically to whatever the maximum resolution your television is.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up