Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TV IS DEAD  (Read 14355 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: TV IS DEAD
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2009, 10:53:26 AM »

And yes, I too am astonished when I see the pictures on the televisions in the stores now....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »

I may well be the last DR on this board to buy a digital television.  With the possible exception of Laura DR.

The three of us should form a club cause I'm in there too.

Four of us. me, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »

Page Five Muntz TV dance.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »

My father had a sign like that on the top of our Sears Color Television.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »

Ah, I see I spoke too soon. Dan the Man's in our club, too.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2009, 10:58:22 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SAM!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2009, 11:06:29 AM »

I want to know what it is with these damned banks holding checks for far too many days while they drag as much interest out of my payment before they decide to turn it over to me. I swear the asses at Sovereign Bank are sittiing on a lot of my money longer than they should, and I am very unhappy about it.        

Larry, I, too, have found this most aggravating. There is no question that they use the "float", ie use your money to make money for themselves--and, IMO, carry it to the extreme. I sometimes do a wire transfer, which accomplishes two things: (1) my money usually transfers the same day, and (2) I have access to the funds immediately. It costs me $20, but sometimes it's just worth it. There's also an ABA transfer, which takes several days, but is free. I don't know if either of these options will work for you, but those are the only work-arounds I've found.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »

Oh, and hello, everyone.

I have fewer spots today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2009, 11:10:56 AM »

Good news DR JEANNE.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »

Oh, and hello, everyone.

So...you are only semi-plague afflicted?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »

Oh, and hello, everyone.

So...you are only semi-plague afflicted?

I now look like I have a bad case of acne.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SAM.

Re:  technology going out of date.  There's a great Simpsons episode where Homer finally breaks down and gets a new computer, whose name I forget, but which ends with "101."  He's whooping it up that he has the latest and greatest computer ever when on the way home he sees a billboard for the new "102."  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »

Betsy and I finally got around to watching THE READER last night.  Oy and vey, also vey and Oy.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »

I spent this morning crafting perfectly played PRODUCERS tracks.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »

I also have quite a few reviews to get done, including BDs of ENEMY AT THE GATES, ROBIN HOOD:  PRINCE OF THIEVES, and SD-DVDs of SPRINGSTEEN, THE JETSONS SEASON 2, not to mention the three POIROT movie sets (all of which I've seen, thankfully) that will probably be coming today.

JMK

« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »

And I know you all find my activities endlessly fascinating.  :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »

My friend arrived about 11:15 and we accomplished a great deal on Life Begins At 8:40; everything is scanned and in the computer for the copyists' use except for seven numbers - 4 big numbers, "All the Elks and Masons," "I Knew Him When,"  "What Can You Say In A Love Song?" and "It Was Long ago" and 3 dance specialties, two for Ray Bolger and one for Jack Starr. Since we've got until July 13 to get everything copied, I think we're okay.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »

More questions - do Blu-Ray players automatically upconvert standard DVDs or is that some button you have to push.  Also, when a player is reading out at 60hz or whatever but the TV has a smooth video function at 120hz, does one have to set that specifically or is it just doing it?

JMK

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »

Upconverting is automatic via HDMI.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »

I watched KROD or whatever that show is on Comedy Central last weekend and it did make me laugh.

JMK

« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15:40 PM »

LOST FINALE PREDICTION:

SPOILER SPACE

BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH BLALBH AWNERKNMA SPWEEIOEIUR ASD
WEOIASDF;LADF
Methinks the last thing we see will be the bomb going off, yes?[
  FA;LAKEAJWAELKJA A
APOEIAUA DS;GKAG;LKAJD;SLKSGJ;

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »

My NEW Magnavox Upconvert DvD player would not play my DVD-R's so I had to hook it up to another TV and bring my Phillips Upconvert DVD player back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2009, 12:16:16 PM »

I was hoping that would be the ending of Celebrity Apprentice, DR JMK.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »

LOST FINALE PREDICTION:

SPOILER SPACE

BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH BLALBH AWNERKNMA SPWEEIOEIUR ASD
WEOIASDF;LADF
Methinks the last thing we see will be the bomb going off, yes?[
  FA;LAKEAJWAELKJA A
APOEIAUA DS;GKAG;LKAJD;SLKSGJ;

Hypothesizing Warning Hypothesizing Warning Hypothesizing Warning Hypothesizing Warning Hypothesizing Warning
Hypothesizing Warning Hypothesizing Warning Hypothesizing Warning Hypothesizing Warning Hypothesizing Warning
I think we will see what happens after the bomb goes off (if it goes off.)  I think we will get a glimps of how time has been changed.  The guy at EW magazine predicts we will see a repeat of Jack again opening up his eyes, looking up at the sky in the jungle, rushing to rescue Hurley from the pond, then hearing a voice ask, "Guys, where are we?" then turning around and see Charlie standing there.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:48:02 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »

Does this CD cover strike anyone as odd:

I would think that Merman would just as soon push a piano up a staircase before she would sit down at one.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2009, 12:54:35 PM »

A One-Day-Early "Ask BK Day" Question for BK: 

BK, is your play, "Deceit" available for amateur groups?  Theater Artists Olympia, who is putting on "Romeo & Juliet" right now (I'm playing Romeo's father) was planning on doing a two-person adaptation of Stephen King's "Misery," but for some reason the rights got pulled (I don't know the details).  They need another show (and soon) and I think "Deceit" is absolutely perfect for them...one set, a small cast and a LOT of blood. ;D But, I don't want to suggest it, if it's not available. 

So, is it? :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »

Oh, and hello, everyone.

Good news :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »

I want to know what it is with these damned banks holding checks for far too many days while they drag as much interest out of my payment before they decide to turn it over to me. I swear the asses at Sovereign Bank are sittiing on a lot of my money longer than they should, and I am very unhappy about it.        

Larry, I, too, have found this most aggravating. There is no question that they use the "float", ie use your money to make money for themselves--and, IMO, carry it to the extreme. I sometimes do a wire transfer, which accomplishes two things: (1) my money usually transfers the same day, and (2) I have access to the funds immediately. It costs me $20, but sometimes it's just worth it. There's also an ABA transfer, which takes several days, but is free. I don't know if either of these options will work for you, but those are the only work-arounds I've found.

We find it equally frustrating.  In today's high speed processing of checks this is completely unnecessary.

We sometimes speak to the manager & get it waived, or at least get a portion of the funds released sooner. 

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »

I'll need to ask questions re the DLP lamps if I go that route.  I do love Mitsubishi but am willing to look at other brands.  I've never been an advocate of Plasma, so will either get a DLP or LCD or whatever they're called.  In fact, last night I looked at a few - the Blu-Ray image is a little startling to me, especially on older films - it doesn't seem film-like, it seems like the old movie was shot with hi-def cameras - but maybe that's something one gets used to?  On the TV I was looking at (a Samsung) the image was brilliant - they were using not the "movie" setting, which I found a bit underwhelming, but something called Blu-smart or something like that - of the image choices I found that one brightest and best.  I'll probably go look at some others.  As to my dead TV, like most electronics I asked specifically if this was the latest and greatest and was told yes.  That was six years ago.  Funny, but about six months later it wasn't the latest and greatest - it was "i" instead of "p" and no HDMI inputs, if I'm remembering correctly.  So, it's quite outmoded and shortly I suppose I'll have a new TV with all the latest and greatest.

BK,

If you were looking at an LCD TV with its "smooth motion 120 Mhz" turned on, you're going to get movies looking like high def video instead of movies. A properly calibrated TV (which are usually NOT calibrated correctly at stores) and a Blu-ray disc which has been given a proper encoding will look closer to film than any regular DVD has ever looked.

Remember that TVs in stores have their brightness and contrast pumped way up to stand out on a showroom floor. You'd never use those settings at home. So, it's hard to judge what the picture will look like at home by looking merely in a store. It's better to look for reviews of certain models you'd like to consider in the size and price range you're interested in. Reviewers in the home theater magazines know how to properly calibrate a TV and then use DVDs and Blu-rays which put a well tuned set through its paces.

Once your senses get used to high definition encodings, it's very difficult to adjust down to DVD. Yes, DVDs can look wonderful when they're done well. But Blu-rays when they're done well look even better.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up