Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WIRED  (Read 12353 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: WIRED
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »

Well, now we all know that DR Jane can supply THE ANSWER to that age-old, proverbial question about the bear.  ;)

I thought those godawful Charmin commercials already settled the inquiry.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »

Yep! They filmed inside the church, and after D'Onofrio and Erbe took a suspect into custody, they walked by my apartment toward Amsterdam Avenue. This is too exciting!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back at my parents' house, and am trying my best to stay up until midnight, and then go to bed right after midnight, and, hopefully, wake up tomorrow at a semi-decent hour.

I know I'm dealing with some jet lag, but I also know that I'm dealing with some sleep deprivation too, or at least lack of sleep - since "deprivation" makes it seem as if I was being tortured. ::) In any case... When I was telling Steve about my Philippine adventures, I realized that the last three days I was there, I was only getting about four hours of sleep a night since we had to keep heading out early each day for another excursion.  And only getting about fours of sleep before and after a day filled with lots of walking (and zip-lining) is not a good thing.  I could already feel that my last day there, and that also explains why I slept so much on the plane - when I usually can't sleep on a plane.

Moving on...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2009, 07:09:26 PM »

Yep! They filmed inside the church, and after D'Onofrio and Erbe took a suspect into custody, they walked by my apartment toward Amsterdam Avenue. This is too exciting!

I think I've mentioned this before, but my block in Harlem is "featured" in the opening sequence of "I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry".  They had fixed up and then "set fire" to the building across the street.  -And Adam Sandler reviewed the footage right in front of my bedroom window.

DR elmore - Were you able to tell if they referred to the address of the church as the real address?  Did they alter the signage of the church?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2009, 07:10:40 PM »

While I was at Steve's, I tried out his new Kurzweil PC3X.  Very nice.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2009, 07:16:03 PM »

Have any other DRs given the Wolfram Alpha Computational Knowledge Engine a try yet?

It's pretty cool.  It's sort of like a statistical version of Google.  Just check the various examples on the homepage for what kinds of things you can search for.

*And some people have already found some "Easter Eggs".  Try "asking" it "Where am I?" "What is the meaning of life?", "To be or not to be?" or "What's the speed of an unladen swallow?" ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »

Congratulations Jennifer, on the new family member.  Best wishes to one and all!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »

Whatever temperature I may have said the theater was last night; add twenty degrees and you have today's matinee temperature.  Still it was a wonderful show and a great crowd.  Who knew that many older folks read the Seattle Gay News?

Still it was a strange day at the theater, that DR Jrand could probably explain.  The stage manager opened the theater to air it out at about 11:30.  A little while later she found a group of kids in the middle of the stage.  After chasing them out of the building, she discovered there had been a theft.  The only things missing were a pair of handcuffs and the billyclub, both used by the cop in the show.  Now, who wants to even contemplate what a group of thirteen years olds boys plan to do with handcuffs and a billyclub?  The pre-show speech, that is on tape, was played; but no sound came out.  Quickly the theater manager got up and gave the old turn off your damn phone speech.  During the speech and the overture several technical malfunctions occured, including the discovery (as the house was going to black) that all of the set pieces had been turned to the Havana scene, rather than the Times Square scene.

The rest of the show (except for the heat) went very well, until we got to my song, which comes early in the second act.  I gave my cue, and then instead of the electric piano playing my intro, I had only the drums and the flute.  I saw the musical conductor scrambling around the keyboard, so I knew something was up.  So, I sang the whole song to the flute and drums; which was followed by the gamblers' ballet done to drums, flute, and sax (I believe). Just as Sky Masterson was about to launch into LUCK BE A LADY the voice of God (or in this case, the stage manager) boomed out, "Ladies and Gentlemen, due to technical difficulties, we are forced to take a momentary pause in the show."  At this point, every techie, electrical engineer, and curious bystander descended on the orchestra pit, while all of the gamblers stood nervously on stage.

After a few mintues, our Nathan Detroit, who is a pretty funny guy to begin with, climbed down off the stage, sat down between two ladies in the front row, and proceeded to entertain the crowd with several funny and (thankfully) clean jokes.  After about five minutes, the cast received the thumbs up, and the show continued.

And other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2009, 08:06:47 PM »

DR TCB - I love when things like that happen during a show!  The JOY of LIVE Theater!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:12 PM »

I had the entire evening to myself, so I began by finishing up SOUTH PACIFIC on Blu-ray. Never been a big fan of the movie version, but if one must see it, this is the way to see it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2009, 08:14:16 PM »

DR TCB - I love when things like that happen during a show!  The JOY of LIVE Theater!

Indeed!  Ironically, I had a number of friends in the audience today, and not one of them knew there was any problems prior to when the stage manager stopped the show.  In fact, people were raving about my song!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »

Yes, lightning blew out the circuit that controlled the light board when I was doing AND THE WORLD GOES 'ROUND. This is a show very much dependent on lighting effects and spots focused on various parts of the stage. When it was clear that it would take some time for it to be fixed, the audience was informed of the problem (the show had only been running about five minutes). The overhead flourescent lights were working so it was either use those or not do the show. The audience voted to proceed with the show using the overhead lights.

So we did the first act that way. By the second act, the circuit had been repaired and the show played the second act properly. It was WEIRD doing the show the right way after having all that light during the first act!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2009, 08:18:51 PM »

G'night
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »

Yes, lightning blew out the circuit that controlled the light board when I was doing AND THE WORLD GOES 'ROUND. This is a show very much dependent on lighting effects and spots focused on various parts of the stage. When it was clear that it would take some time for it to be fixed, the audience was informed of the problem (the show had only been running about five minutes). The overhead flourescent lights were working so it was either use those or not do the show. The audience voted to proceed with the show using the overhead lights.

So we did the first act that way. By the second act, the circuit had been repaired and the show played the second act properly. It was WEIRD doing the show the right way after having all that light during the first act!

LOL!   ;D
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2009, 08:20:11 PM »

Next, I watched the last episode on disc five in the second season NCIS box. Only one disc left in the set, and then I will have seen every episode of NCIS prior to this week's season finale.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »

Next, I watched this week's SMALLVILLE. My goodness, there was carnage in this episode! I'll really have to think long and hard over the summer to decide if I want to stay with this show next year.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »

And then I watched tonight's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. The ONLY story of any interest to me was the one involving Susan-Mike-Dave-MJ. All of the other wives had very trite and tedious storylines. Could this be another show I may abandon next season? Well, I'll probably stick with it but some of the decision will depend on what the other networks offer as competition against it next season.

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »

Have any other DRs given the Wolfram Alpha Computational Knowledge Engine a try yet?

It's pretty cool.  It's sort of like a statistical version of Google.  Just check the various examples on the homepage for what kinds of things you can search for.

*And some people have already found some "Easter Eggs".  Try "asking" it "Where am I?" "What is the meaning of life?", "To be or not to be?" or "What's the speed of an unladen swallow?" ;)

Pretty cool

FJL

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »

Congrats to Jennifer's family

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2009, 08:40:34 PM »

Well, I have an 8 a.m. appointment at the dentist for a check-up and cleaning, so I'm heading down to bed now.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »

Just reading various reports about an earthquake in LA... Anyone out there feel it?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »

On TV TOnight!™

ABC - EXTREME MAKEOVER (two hours), DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (two hour season finale)

I totally forgot that I haven't watched last week's "Desperate Housewives"!  I'm watching it now and recording tonight's episode.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »

Good morning!  Last night's performance (and last night's audience) was wonderful!  We had nearly a full-house and the show was the best it has ever been.  It really clicked.  Sadly, it was hotter than Hades last night in both the house and onstage.  Yesterday was probably the first day of the year where the temperature was over 70, and the Parks Department needs to get their collective asses in gear.

We are two thirds of the way thru the run of GUYS AND DOLLS, and, so far, the only review we have received is from the Seattle Gay News.  Wow!  I love working in the BIG city.

Congrats, TCB!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Kerry

« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2009, 10:05:18 PM »

I like boat races.

George

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »

I got a call at 3:30am this morning from my sis saying she needed me to go to her house and watch my niece. And my new niece, Jadyn Sophia was born at 1:45pm this afternoon!

Jennifer, Congratulations on the New Niece!!

George

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2009, 10:33:20 PM »

My new computer cannot get here soon enough. :P

That is all.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:44:27 PM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »

Oh, really - an earthquake of almost five points and no one I know felt even a shake?  Of course, I was at the DGA watching Star Trek, so there probably could have been a six point earthquake and we wouldn't have felt it, given the pounding bass and the relentless sound. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2009, 11:13:42 PM »

I just want to take a moment and congratulate those who are and have been errant and truant for most of the last few months - today is our lowest posting day in, what, FIVE years?  If this is the wave of the future, board-wise, maybe it's time to give up Ye Olde Ghoste.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up