Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: OF CABBAGES AND KINGS  (Read 40905 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:OF CABBAGES AND KINGS
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2004, 07:34:08 PM »

CD: Christiane Noll: A Broadway Love Story; Barbara Cook: As of Today; Avenue Q
VCR: The African Queen
DVD: The Court Jester
Loved the magnetic armour bit.  This explains a lot of things.  Now, at last,  I got it - good!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2004, 08:23:28 PM »

ANYTHING ELSE had some typically wry and funny Woody Allen-isms, but overall I couldn't heartily recommend it. Both leading characters were irritating to me, especially the main character who allowed himself to be used so unmercifully that I got angry with his doltishness.

And isn't it amazing when Woody casts other guys to play the leading roles in his films, they take on his vocal and physical mannerisms. John Cusak did in BULLETS OVER BROADWAY, Kenneth Branagh did in CELEBRITY, and now Jason Biggs was doing it (less expertly) in this film. (And just to prove he's an equal opportunity director, Mia Farrow did it in ALICE.)

I really haven't sung the praises of any of Woody's last few films. SMALL TIME CROOKS was the last one that I really felt was fall down funny.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 08:24:39 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2004, 08:42:21 PM »

Matt H-thanks for the movie review.

elmore3003 we cleared TIVO to make room for Wonderfalls.  

Good night.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2004, 08:52:17 PM »

The Second Hundred Days: Our Wedding-The Sequel

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2004, 09:03:56 PM »

RE: The apprentice

DR Dan (the man) wrote:Yes, I would be interested to see it. I don't know her last name. But it was funny to hear her introduce herself as Amelia on last night's show.

Here is the link to Amy's page.  It looks a little strange.  Maybe it's pre-Apprentice.

Plus don't all the others get on your nerves? Every single one of the others seems incompetent to me :)

Oh, I don't know...I think Troy and Bill are pretty smart.  And I think Heidi was a terrific worker (not CEO material, though.)  And as much as I don't like Katrina, she was pretty smart to find a contractor to do the apartment renovations.  Bu I would agree with you as far as Nick and Kwame go.

So who do you think would be the best one for Troy and Kwame to pull over next week?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2004, 09:04:05 PM »

Dear Reader Panni--

Last night I dreamed about locomotive trains going through tu....

Oh, never mind.
Intrepretation: You have a strange attraction to Alfred Hitchcock.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2004, 09:09:54 PM »

Amen!  I love The Apprentice!  I have no idea who will win, but I thought Omarrosa (too many r's, too big an s) was a pretentious twit and fraud; one more self-promoting resume fraud  you find in every occupation,

Yeah, but didn't you just love to hate her?  The perfect villainess!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Robin

« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2004, 09:15:10 PM »

I feel so out-of-the-loop.  

The Appentice?
American Idol?

Whatever happened to shows I understand?  Bonanza.  I understood that.  Star Trek.  No problem.  Jeapordy!.  Check!

"Reality TV"???

Isn't that the news?
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2004, 09:21:44 PM »

BK, got my list of attendees for the April Ray Courts Show.  Be glad you picked June.  April's line-up looks pretty slim & grim.  The biggest name on there seems to be Jane Russell...and I thought she was dead.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2004, 09:35:53 PM »

Glad it's June then.  Will June Wilkinson be there in June?  Then we can sing June Is Bustin' Out All Over, which with her takes on a whole new meaning.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2004, 09:40:59 PM »

We all had a laugh about the Steak Tartare on the menu I printed out for Joe Allens.  $20.00 and it's not even cooked!   Yet, strange enough the more I think about it, the more I'd like to try it.  It's not like it's raw fish.  Yuck.  
What you're paying for with steak tartare is the freshness and quality of the ingredients.  Not only is the beef not cooked, neither is the egg with which it is garnished!  So Joe Allen's has to be very sure of the quality, or they would not be serving it.  Der Brucer enjoys this sort of thing; I personally do not.  (No wonder Jenny's mother was a bit shocked by der B's dinner choices!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2004, 09:43:08 PM »

I'm so bored of these allergy attacks.  Perhaps I'll attack the allergies back one of these days and then there will be hell toupee.

What are you all doing right now?  I entertained dear reader Panni and her guest tonight in the home environment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2004, 10:00:38 PM »

Der Brucer and I are very sad.  Violet's mother promised us pate, and she never showed up.  So sad, to be all alone in the world with no pate.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2004, 10:48:54 PM »

WELCOME HOME WFO'S JOE!!!

Welcome New Dear Reader Bevan!!

Now I must go to sleep and get up early in the morning.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2004, 10:59:36 PM »

I entertained dear reader Panni and her guest tonight in the home environment.
And a lovely time was had watching BAREFOOT IN THE PARK while eating take-out from Jerry's Deli. Haven't seen BAREFOOT in ages and it's still delightful. Mildred Natwick is beyond perfect. But I had forgotten that her "advanced" age in the movie is 52! And the exorbitant rate at the Plaza is $30. a night. The outrageously high rent for the little apartment is $125.00. ...1967. Was it THAT long ago?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 11:00:30 PM by Panni »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2004, 11:13:12 PM »

I'm surprised elmore3003 hasn't weighed in on tonight's "Playing it Straight" episode.

It was tasteless, tacky and tawdry.  

It was wonderful!

Ryan is kidding himself about being "straight."  I don't care if that poor girl ousts every straight guy from the show -- she deserves better than what Ryan served up.  

Oddly, it was Alex, who admitted to being gay, who shocked everyone.  No one had a clue about him.  Everyone was trashing everyone else, making comments about hair product and clothing and primping in the mirror.  The ones doing the most talking are the ones who could use a personal grooming regimen of any kind, if you know what I mean.  

My favorite comment about one of the guys:  "He's a Kevin Spacey wannabe."

LMAO I did!  She's watching for telltale mannerisms while the guys are overcompensating AND finding fault with each other.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 11:19:55 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2004, 11:37:14 PM »

Thank you again, Dear Readers--Dear Friends, really--for all your wonderful birthday wishes.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2004, 11:39:07 PM »

I hope your day has been a really special one Jay. Good night.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2004, 11:39:14 PM »

I  am totally MORTIFIED, DerBrucer. I don't know why I did that. Shall I use being in a trance as an excuse. I hang my head in SHAME. Have I mentioned I don't know why I did that? If I had a blackboard I would wear a dunce's hat and write out 1000 times DvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorák
DvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorák...
I don't know why I did that.....

Silly you.  You could have gone back, modified the original post, and then asked Der Brucer what the hell he was talking about!

Jay

« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2004, 11:39:51 PM »

Welcome home, Joe!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2004, 11:44:17 PM »

Hell, I'll make it two hundred.  

Jay

« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2004, 11:44:28 PM »

DR Jay, how was the CANDIDE directed by Jeffrey Lentz?  It was you. wasn't it?

Yes, it was me, and my apologies for not posting about it after I saw it.  It was quite good!  The singing was good, and the production, which relied heavily on projections to establish the numerous locations on Candide's journey, worked well.  I could have done with a little less of the broad humor, and the balance between sung music (unamplified) and spoken word (amplified) wasn't very good.  Still, the score, as you know, is glorious and it was great to see the work staged once again.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 12:00:57 AM by Jay »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2004, 11:44:29 PM »

And one for Mahler

Jay

« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2004, 11:51:41 PM »

I spent the evening of my birthday in the company of Miss Andrea Marcovicci, Dear Readers.  She appeared at the Smothers Theatre, which is on the Pepperdine campus in Malibu.  Her show tonight was devoted to the songs of Mr. Frank Loesser.  It's no secret that Miss Marcovicci's voice is not the prettiest sounding instrument out there.  I do marvel, however, at her phrasing and interpretation.  Her selection from the Loesser oeuvre was designed to show his range and development over the course of his career, so there were some familiar songs and some not familiar at all.  Miss Marcovicci's patter offered a good deal of biographical background on the composer/lyricist and I learned quite a bit over the course of the evening.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up