Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WARP SPEED  (Read 17643 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: WARP SPEED
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 08:35:40 AM »

Thanks, DR DAW!  I just talked to his nurse (after not being able to reach him by phone) and she said he's having his stress test right now.  As soon as I get the vacation laundry under control, I'll head out there to see what's what.

DR Ginny, it's good news that DH Richard did not have a heart attack!  And i know how he feels right now--just about two months ago I had a non-heart-attack attack myself.  It was all due to stress but just going through such an occurance is stress-inducing itself.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 08:37:12 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EZIO PINZA!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »

Page Two Star Trek Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »

DR Ginny, SUPER HEALTH VIBES for DH Richard!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »

Note to self:

I must remember to get out to the ballet more frequently...

Everyone IS beautiful at the ballet...
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 08:47:03 AM »

Thank you, DRs Dan(the Man) and Jane!

Dan, I'm more and more convinced that he's suffering stress exhaustion.  Hope to have that confirmed when we get the results of this morning's test.  Have you fully recovered?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »

Scary experience with Richard, DR Ginny. Glad it wasn't the real thing!! Hope he is home soon!

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »

I remember seeing a few episodes of Star Trek as a kid, and over the years have seen a few more episodes here and there. Have seen one or two of the movies, but don't recall which ones they were.

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 08:50:33 AM »

Thank you, DR MBarnum!  Optimist that I am, I'm taking "coming home" clothes with me!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 08:50:51 AM »

I still remember the first time I saw Star Trek.  This was before I became a fan of science fiction & am surprised I watched the show without Keith.  He worked nights as an assistant manager at movie theater near by.  I called him at work excited about this fantastic show he must see.  I talked about it so much he finally managed to get a long dinner break to watch it with me.  Of course he loved it as much as I did & would manage a dinner break whenever possible.

We have enjoyed the following series as well, except for Deep Space. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »

TOD:

While I caught an episode here and there during the initial run, I wasn't a big STAR TREK fan until NBC began showing reruns.  And even then, the real fascination didn't start for me until the syndicated reruns (I was one of those who went orgasmic when Paramount required that stations broadcast the show complete and uncut.)  I was never a real Trekkie, though I did subscribe to the official newsletter for a time and I did build and display a model of the Enterprise.

I was bored with ST:TNG in the first season because it seemed only interested in rehashing the concepts of the original series, but as it began to develop its own personality, I gradually became a fan.  But I could not get into any subsequent show--DEEP SPACE 9 seemed to have no focus, I dislike Kate Mulgrew too much to ever watch VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE just never entered my radar.

As far as the movies are concerned, I was bored with the first, enjoyed WRATH OF KAHN the most and was just okay with the next two but then my interest petered out.  I'm pretty sure I never saw another ST movie after THE VOYAGE HOME.

-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »

Interesting to read the Star Trek comments.  One wonders how it achieved what it achieved, because everyone I talk to mirrors the non-enthusiasm (save for a couple of people) here.  I'll be curious to hear comments about the new film - I actually don't think it's ultimately going to do the business they're going to attempt to say it's doing.  Usually folks here are a pretty good gauge of the must-go-see-them movies and there hasn't been a peep.  And the less than half-house at the DGA was, to me, very telling.

DAW

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2009, 08:56:27 AM »

I am sorry bk doesn't like the new Kirk.  I like him!  And I haven't even seen the movie!!     ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2009, 08:56:54 AM »

Thank you, DRs Dan(the Man) and Jane!

Dan, I'm more and more convinced that he's suffering stress exhaustion.  Hope to have that confirmed when we get the results of this morning's test.  Have you fully recovered?

Um...define "recovered".

:)
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:02 AM »

I'm up, and it looks like it's gonna be another hot day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »

My problem with the new Kirk was what the writers did with the character, and the fact that the actor, despite his looks, is typical of today's generation of non-actors. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »

I am sorry bk doesn't like the new Kirk.  I like him!  And I haven't even seen the movie!!     ;)

The trouble I have with the new ST movie is that everytime I see how young the new cast is I can't help but think:  MUPPET BABIES.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »

Here's an idea for a sure fire hit TV series:  THE NEW GOLDEN GIRLS.  It would be just like THE GOLDEN GIRLS, but with hot twentysomthings playing the leads.  Sophia would be played by an older actress--what's Mary Stuart Masterson up to these days?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »

Just had a call from DH Richard.  He's back from his tests and waiting for lunch and a doctor visit.  I'm going to sign off, go to the PO to get last week's mail, and head out to the hospital.

Bye for now!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »

Here's an idea for a new tv series:

The antics of a group of army laundry workers in Korea....it's called, of course:

W*A*S*H
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »

Good luck at the Wilshire Ebell.  I'm glad the theatre is still there; they have talked for decades of razing the place.  I am happy to see they have not!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »

TOD:
I have seen about 2 or 3 episodes of the original series.  Unfortuanately anytime I attempted to watch an episode of Star Trek (usually when sick or something), it was always those very same episodes. So, I saw 2 or 3 episodes of Star Trek about 3 or 4 times each.

Haven't seen any of the movies or the later series.
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 09:26:23 AM »

I don't believe I've ever seen Star Trek in any iteration, on television or at the movies.        :P

First it was Steve McQueen films, and now Star Trek!

You're the Mike Barnum of the east coast!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:59:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 09:37:42 AM »

I have seen every episode of Star Trek, the original series, every Star Trek movie, every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Voyager.  I have the complete Star Trek: Enterprise TV series on DVD and have seen probably 40% of those episodes.

That said, Star Trek has been part of popular culture for more than 40 years.  While I find it difficult to imagine that something so much in the mainstream could be missed/ignored by anyone to the extent that they've never seen one movie or one episode of any of the shows, I have admit there are movie "types" I avoid like the plague, even when they show on TV.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »

DR MBARNUM - I have been to a couple of estate sales, but I don't visit them regularly. Here in farm country - most of what is on sale consists of tractors and plows.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2009, 10:13:39 AM »

I don't believe I've ever seen Star Trek in any iteration, on television or at the movies.        :P

WHAT!!!!   When I was in college we used to watch the reruns every day in the dorm.  We'd guess who was going to be evaporated, but that was easy because there was always someone there who was expendable.   We even made a movie in the hall where everyone ran to one side and the person holding the camera tilted it...just like on tv!

I've never seen any of the movies
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:23:13 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »

I should say I was no Trekkie.  We watched it and laughed at it.  I wouldn't enjoy it with realistic effects

Cillaliz

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »

I, like DAW, have never seen Star Trek. I may be a geek but, like many sub-groups, my geekiness exerts itself in only one or two areas and Star Trek was never one of those areas.

Not even once on TV in th 60s?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »

My favorite "Star Trek" movie is IV (Voyage Home).  It's also my second favorite "Star Trek" score (the original Jerry Goldsmith score is my favorite).

Most film music fans who love the series HATE this movie AND the score, in my experience.

And to them I say, "Feh!"   And "FEH!", again!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:21:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 10:19:09 AM »

Recovery Vibes to Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up