Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL  (Read 12535 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:19:48 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had both shake and rattle but only minor roll, and now it is time for you to post until the rolling cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 12:21:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: XENIAL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 12:41:07 AM »

BK, about the "Nudie" casting...does Cindy Williams have a daughter? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 12:43:06 AM »

Time to go to bed.  I have a long day ahead of me.

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:40:25 AM »

Saturday....and it is predicted to be very warm (For May) with isolated thunderstorms.  And of course it is a work day.  Oh well.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 04:42:15 AM »

TOD:

Probably Rock Around the Clock when I was five or six.  Heard it on the radio and after a couple of plays, could sing all the words.  Then came Elvis Presley and Hound Dog.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 05:02:42 AM »

I don't suppose "Heartbeat, it's a Lovebeat" (the DeFrancos)  or "One Bad Apple" (the Osmonds) count as rock-and-roll, do they?  :)  Those are the first songs with any sort of beat that moved me to buy the 45 rpm record.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 05:29:37 AM »

Good morning, all! I have very little to report. This is for me a long weekend of work and very little else. Today I will try to finish up some of the Loesser and jump into the Jerome Moross scores Tomorrow I'm helping a friend with a 1902 musical theatre problem and finishng up the Moross if I don't do it all today, and Monday is back to Loesser.

BK, sorry about the Rosie situation.

DRvixmom, thanks for the link!

TOD: Elvis Presley
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:52:44 AM »

Same choice, BK.

My first Rock 'n Roll song was "Rock Around the Clock," which played under the credits of THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE.  The movie audience went "wild" when that song came on.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 06:13:57 AM »

DR George, that link you posted re: THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS is all the talk on the soaps message board i frequent.

For those who didn't read it it pertains to one of the actors quitting the show because he didn't want to do a gay kissing scene.

I'm sad because i really liked this actor. Although i wasn't happy with the direction his storyline was going (this is before any gay kissing scene).

I am curious though since another character came out a couple months ago (rafe the lawyer) and there were rumors of a big gay romance. I'm curious if this actor was going to be part of that couple. Or if this was merely a single gay kissing scene we are talking about here.

If it was the former then i think the show should have talked to the actor before forcing him to do it. If it was just one kissing scene then i think he should have done it.

Although it makes no sense to me that the character would be gay since he's been engaged and in love with a woman, with no signs of confusion.

I know it's acting, and i don't agree with someone quitting, but it seems like the writers/producers could have just talked to the actor and found out what his reservations were. Perhaps he's religious. Who knows. It just seems odd to me to force someone who has been on the show for a while to do something they are not comfortable doing.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 06:43:02 AM »

BK, about the "Nudie" casting...does Cindy Williams have a daughter? ;)

Yes.

Her name is Emily.
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »

I really can't remember the first "rock n roll" song I heard.  I suspect it was HOUND DOG or some other Elvis song, who I had an early obsession with (BLUE HAWAII was on TCM the other week and I was surprised that I could actually remember the lyrics and sing along to every song in the film).  It may have also been "Rockin' Robin".  I can remember the first r&r 45's I bought...They were "Quarter To Three" by Gary "U.S." Bonds and "Lonely Teardrops" by the late, great Jackie Wilson.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

Michael

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 07:14:27 AM »

never been a big fan of rock and roll but there are songs I like, but I cannot remember what it was.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 07:24:21 AM »

TOD:

I have two older sisters so I grew up with rock 'n' roll.  I have no idea what the first song I ever heard was but the first one that I took a hankerin' to was "My Boy Lollipop" by Millie Small (I think.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 07:31:53 AM »

I was incredibly sick the past two days with the worst stomach virus I had in a long time.  Cramps, chills, fever, aches and pains, not to mention output from both ends.  Ugh!

Feeling so much better this morning, though, except for a slightly achey lower back.  I think I will take advantage of the beautiful weather out there and putter and clean up in the back yard.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 07:47:01 AM »

Good morning!

We've already had a surprise spring shower this morning which seems to have cooled things down a bit. Still, it's going to be in the 80s today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 07:49:05 AM »

Before it rained, however, I bounded out of bed at 7:30 and mowed the back yard. Of the three areas of my yard that I mow, this is my least favorite to do. (I divide the yard for mowing in much the same way I divide the downstairs for cleaning so I don't get burned out doing it and the whole thing can be done in small increments.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »

I'd really like to take a break from reviewing, and I will for the afternoon, but tonight I'll be back to work with S. DARKO, a sequel of sorts to DONNIE DARKO. It's on Blu-ray, another of the Fox catch-up titles I'm racing to finish. I have one more from that box of nine I got a week ago before I can start on other items.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 07:55:47 AM »

I probably heard "Hound Dog" first (my father was a BIG Elvis fan), but the one that really took my fancy was "Jailhouse Rock."

You see, the school where I took dance lessons used a pianist for most of the accompaniment, but every so often, a pop song would catch my teacher's fancy, and we'd have a number choreographed to it. "Jailhouse Rock" and "Mack the Knife" were the first two 45s I remember my teacher using as accompaniment for routines. We also did "Harlem Nocturne" and "Quiet Village" during those years, as I recall. I loved all of them.

I took dance lessons there (tap, jazz) for ten years, and by the last few years, the piano had been moved out of the studio, and we had gone completely to records and tape.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 08:01:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: XENIAL!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  CONSIDER YOURSELF

Laura

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »

I have an older sister who loved The Monkees. So I probably heard one of their songs first.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Just back from having my hair cut and styled.  This is the first Saturday this month I haven't been out of town and I'm enjoying being home.  After doing some prep work on a couple of garments, I'm going out to my Mom's to use my sewing machine, which is on "permanent loan" to her.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »

I don't know if they're working or not, but someone was out there at seven-forty-five yammering away.  Unbelievable.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 08:17:16 AM »

And now Ted Detweiler may have a problem - well, at least it causes a problem that may be insurmountable for me - he forgot he had a wedding to attend.  I'm being told he'd have to leave for it on Saturday morning the 13th and he'd return early afternoon on the 14th.  Well, those are our final two rehearsal days and since he's in almost every scene in the show I don't really know how I'm supposed to deal with that.  We have so little time to put this together anyway that I can't see how it can work, not having my leading man all day Saturday.  Sunday I can probably start at two and go until eight or nine, but to lose Saturday completely is out of the question.  So, I'm trying to find out what can be done - if he can leave later in the afternoon on Saturday (I don't mind starting at ten and being done by two or three), and even if he can come back a little earlier on Sunday.  I suppose we shall see.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 08:23:39 AM »

I'm going to tend to some computer-related items and then head downstairs to check the mail and then think about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 08:34:52 AM »

BK, come talk to me when you're THREE YEARS into the construction madness.  Oy and vey.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 08:35:13 AM »

And the developer wonders why I'm not particularly friendly to him.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 08:36:09 AM »

The Oregonian strikes again department:  today's mini review of the BD Star Trek Collection set is accompanied by a still of the cast of Star Trek:  Nemesis.  Hmmmm.....what's wrong with that picture?  (Literally).

Kerry

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »

And now Ted Detweiler may have a problem - well, at least it causes a problem that may be insurmountable for me - he forgot he had a wedding to attend.  I'm being told he'd have to leave for it on Saturday morning the 13th and he'd return early afternoon on the 14th.  Well, those are our final two rehearsal days and since he's in almost every scene in the show I don't really know how I'm supposed to deal with that.  We have so little time to put this together anyway that I can't see how it can work, not having my leading man all day Saturday.  Sunday I can probably start at two and go until eight or nine, but to lose Saturday completely is out of the question.  So, I'm trying to find out what can be done - if he can leave later in the afternoon on Saturday (I don't mind starting at ten and being done by two or three), and even if he can come back a little earlier on Sunday.  I suppose we shall see.

I don't know, Bruce, but maybe this is all of the gods' way of telling you that Nudie is not supposed to happen quite when you want it to.  All the signs (especially casting in the last few weeks) seem to be pointing in this direction.   ??? :-\
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 08:52:50 AM »

TOD:  Since radio stations were still playing Rosemary Clooney and Nat King Cole and Leroy Anderson along with rock and roll, and my favorite records were cast albums of shows, I suppose my first rock and roll songs were by Elvis.  The flip side of "Can't Help Falling In Love" was "Rock-a-Hula," so I guess that would be it.  Either that or Elvis' "Blue Christmas" or maybe Brenda Lee's, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree."  Later, I lioked Jand and Dean and the Beach Boys, but it was Petula Clark that really sent me.
I like boat races.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up