Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL  (Read 12663 times)

FJL

Re: SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2009, 11:16:29 AM »

Something had happened to us on a show, where had the person been upfront with his conflicts, we just would have said "forget about it, let's work together some other time," but the person waited until already in rehearsal to spring "tech period" conflicts on us.  It didn't seem logical that he didn't know about these conflicts previously in our situation.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:25:54 PM by FJL »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »

I can top that--I had three (count 'em, three) principals in my GOING TO POT:  THE REEFER MADNESS MUSICAL quit the week before opening.  It was incredible.  Luckily we found "quick study" replacements who were much better than the originals.  Unfortunately, the lesser talents are memorialized on the recording.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »

Oy--being the only reviewer on staff with a passing knowledge of opera/classical music has its detriments--I just recieved a huge boxful of Naxos/Opus Arte opera BDs.  The problem is, a lot of these are, as DR Elmore would say, "EuroTrash" reimaginings of the originals.  For example, I am staring at the cover of Das Rheingold, which features a mad scientist/pirate looking chap in a gold waistcoat.   My fear is it's Fricka.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2009, 11:52:46 AM »

I'll save everyone the trouble:

My friend Fricka

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »

Although it makes no sense to me that the character would be gay since he's been engaged and in love with a woman, with no signs of confusion.

One can be gay, engaged, married, father of three children, and evince no outward signs of confusion - it's called living in the closet ( a real acting job).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JMK

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2009, 12:11:04 PM »

Speaking of closet cases, my one non-operatic BD is VALKYRIE, starring you know who(m).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2009, 12:11:08 PM »

I have never seen THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, nor have I even heard the name of the actor in question, so I was certainly not attempting to condemn an innocent man.  Certainly, there can be two sides to every story.  I am sure that there were, also, two sides to the issue of Jeremy Piven in SPEED THE PLOW and with Balthazar Getty in BROTHERS AND SISTERS; although I don't recall anyone holding off discussing their opinions until all the facts were known.

I guess I thought I was doing what we nornally do on this board, and that is to discuss things in the news and the arts.  And we are certainly not the first or last web site to be discussing this situation.  My understanding from what I have read was that according to the actor's representatives, he quit over concerns about a same sex kiss.  I guess I thought that gave me room to discuss that part of the situation.  If there are other factors, I am surprised that he or his agents have not mentioned them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:17:50 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »

TOD

Rock Around the Clock

followed by

Fats Dominos' "Blueberry Hill"

then came Elvis.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »

I guess I thought I was doing what we normally do on this board, and that is to discuss things in the news and the arts. 

You are right - and there are no rules pertaining to the analysis of gossip.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »

Speaking of closet cases, my one non-operatic BD is VALKYRIE, starring you know who(m).

Aren't you a bit late on a review - it's already on the store shelves.

der Brucer

DAW

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »

Sorry you have fell so unwell, DR DtM...

Here's hoping your rapid recovery continues apace!    :)

DAW

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2009, 12:42:54 PM »

Has Flicka ever sung Fricka?

DAW

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »

It's a Lazy Afternoon...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the Union Square Greenmarket!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »

Has Flicka ever sung Fricka?

Have either sung Fado ?

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »

All I'm trying to say is, we don't know the "whole story" and this guy is getting a lot of flak over something that might actually be about something else.

And speaking of flak...

I'm just catching up on the flak from this past week's premiere of "So You Think You Can Dance?" in regards to the same sex couple who audtioned... And the comments from Simon Fuller... :-\

Simon Fuller or Nigel Lythgoe? I think Nigel is the judge on this show though I don't watch so I could be wrong.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2009, 01:30:21 PM »

Every review I've done for the past week has been after street date and none of that is my fault. Reviewers are at the mercy of the studios in terms of sending out review product. Luckily for me, Criterion and Disney are very good about giving lead time for viewing and writing. Some other releasing companies and studios that I work with aren't so generous.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2009, 01:32:08 PM »

I watched last night's FLASHPOINT while I cooked and ate lunch. As usual with this show, I was in tears by the end of the episode. It was a rerun, but since I was so late joining the FLASHPOINT party, it was a new episode for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2009, 01:33:48 PM »

Since I was taking the afternoon off, I pulled out the third season set of NCIS and dived into the middle of it. The first episode I selected involved the murder of two Korean wives married to marines. I have seen all of these episodes, but I didn't remember how the episode was going to end. Very involving story.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »

And the second episode involved the burning of a corpse in an ambulance who turns out not to be who the Navy thought it was, so Gibbs and company have to find out who the corpse was and where the person they thought it was actually is.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2009, 01:35:42 PM »

When I head back down I'll finish what I started watching and then proceed with S. DARKO.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2009, 01:44:12 PM »

For Rock & Roll fans there is a great show, available on the internet on WOBO out of Batavia, Ohio.  It comes on at 10 or 11, I think, and goes till midnight.  It's called the Ramblin' Rose Show and he plays, in addition all the stuff we know, a lot of really obscure stuff.  After his show goes off, they continue to play R & R until late into the evening.  It's a crazy station... on various days, they also do big band and American Song Book, Bluegrass, Hillbilly, German folk music.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2009, 01:48:51 PM »

Headed back down to continue with the evening's filmed entertainment for both work and play.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »

I watched last night's FLASHPOINT while I cooked and ate lunch. As usual with this show, I was in tears by the end of the episode. It was a rerun, but since I was so late joining the FLASHPOINT party, it was a new episode for me.

Was it the one with the psycho wife holding a hostage at knife point? (And the one with the Sam and Jules relationship progressing?

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »

And now Ted Detweiler may have a problem - well, at least it causes a problem that may be insurmountable for me - he forgot he had a wedding to attend.  I'm being told he'd have to leave for it on Saturday morning the 13th and he'd return early afternoon on the 14th.  Well, those are our final two rehearsal days and since he's in almost every scene in the show I don't really know how I'm supposed to deal with that.  We have so little time to put this together anyway that I can't see how it can work, not having my leading man all day Saturday.  Sunday I can probably start at two and go until eight or nine, but to lose Saturday completely is out of the question.  So, I'm trying to find out what can be done - if he can leave later in the afternoon on Saturday (I don't mind starting at ten and being done by two or three), and even if he can come back a little earlier on Sunday.  I suppose we shall see.

I don't know, Bruce, but maybe this is all of the gods' way of telling you that Nudie is not supposed to happen quite when you want it to.  All the signs (especially casting in the last few weeks) seem to be pointing in this direction.   ??? :-\

I don't believe in that stuff.  The Ted thing has worked out fine - he's leaving at three on Saturday, so if I start at ten I'll get my run-through in and then be able to clean stuff up, then on Sunday he'll be back as early as I need him to be.  The kind of actor I like to work with.

So, it's really only the Cindy role I'm concerned about - and it's a real concern at this point.  The next few days will tell me what I need to know.  Right now we have one candidate and I'm supposed to see some sort of video on her by Monday or Tuesday.  She seems to really want to do it, so it will just depend on her talent and whether I feel she can handle the role in the way it needs to be handled.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »

Back from the long jog and various and sundried errands.  Handy Man is in the garage reorganizing stuff that's been accumulating out there.  I'm going to eat some lunch around three.  And then I'm sitting on my couch like so much fish and nothing will be changing that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »

Jose, Ted is checking with a casting gal he knows who loves to do theater.  I can probably free up a few hundred bucks for someone, so that's my next plan of attack.  In the meantime, no response to my little e-mail missive to KSA out here - maybe the gal I sent it to just nuked it rather than show it to the people I asked her to pass it along to. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »

Might I just say - page three?  Are you joking?  Stop the madness.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »

Stop the madness.

That would definitely cut down on the post count.

der Brucer

JMK

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2009, 02:25:50 PM »

der Brucer

As Matt H. can probably second, they have a new policy of not releasing review copies until street date.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up