Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL  (Read 12486 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 08:55:40 AM »

PAGE TWO
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »

DR George, that link you posted re: THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS is all the talk on the soaps message board i frequent.

For those who didn't read it it pertains to one of the actors quitting the show because he didn't want to do a gay kissing scene.

I'm sad because i really liked this actor. Although i wasn't happy with the direction his storyline was going (this is before any gay kissing scene).

I am curious though since another character came out a couple months ago (rafe the lawyer) and there were rumors of a big gay romance. I'm curious if this actor was going to be part of that couple. Or if this was merely a single gay kissing scene we are talking about here.

If it was the former then i think the show should have talked to the actor before forcing him to do it. If it was just one kissing scene then i think he should have done it.

Although it makes no sense to me that the character would be gay since he's been engaged and in love with a woman, with no signs of confusion.

I know it's acting, and i don't agree with someone quitting, but it seems like the writers/producers could have just talked to the actor and found out what his reservations were. Perhaps he's religious. Who knows. It just seems odd to me to force someone who has been on the show for a while to do something they are not comfortable doing.

I believe it is called acting.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 09:28:23 AM »

DR George, that link you posted re: THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS is all the talk on the soaps message board i frequent.

For those who didn't read it it pertains to one of the actors quitting the show because he didn't want to do a gay kissing scene.

I'm sad because i really liked this actor. Although i wasn't happy with the direction his storyline was going (this is before any gay kissing scene).

I am curious though since another character came out a couple months ago (rafe the lawyer) and there were rumors of a big gay romance. I'm curious if this actor was going to be part of that couple. Or if this was merely a single gay kissing scene we are talking about here.

If it was the former then i think the show should have talked to the actor before forcing him to do it. If it was just one kissing scene then i think he should have done it.

Although it makes no sense to me that the character would be gay since he's been engaged and in love with a woman, with no signs of confusion.

I know it's acting, and i don't agree with someone quitting, but it seems like the writers/producers could have just talked to the actor and found out what his reservations were. Perhaps he's religious. Who knows. It just seems odd to me to force someone who has been on the show for a while to do something they are not comfortable doing.

I'm sorry, Jennifer, that was rather flippant on my part.  But honestly, I have no sympathy for this actor, at all.  Actors, and especially soap opera actors, seem to relish playing murderers, rapist, drug addicts, alcoholics, and adulterers; but they take offense at playing a scene where they kiss a member of their own sex?  I find that extremely hypocritical, even to use the cop-out of it being against their religious beliefs.

Should I, as a gay actor, be excused for refusing to kiss an actor of the opposite sex?  Wouldn't that be ridiculous?  I have played characters, and had to say dialogue that is personally offensive to me, TCB; but is part of the character that I am portraying.  I had a real problem using the "N" word, especially in a play that I knew would be seen by a large number of African-American audiences members, including my friends; but I said it onstage, because my character would and did use that word.  I would feel far more sympathy for an actor, if he refused to play a serial (or cereal) rapist or an adulterer because that was against his religious beliefs.
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »

I'm far too young to remember rock 'n' roll.   ;D ::)     Now, bossa nova, that I remember!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »

I bounded out of bed at 7:30 and mowed the back yard.

Gee; too bad you don't live next to bk!!      ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I slept a good, solid eight hours last night. In my own bed! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »

Jonathan Schwartz just played "A New Carioca" by the Loving Spoonfulls. Groovy!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »

And now Mel Tormé... Swing it, Mel!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »

I have played with Mel's (and Steve March's for that matter) longtime drummer.  Nice guy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »

Well... Since I never made it to the Park yesterday...

But first...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »

bk - Earplugs. And/or a white noise machine.

*And, yes, some people do start their work day before 8:00.  Alas, I'm sorry that they're next door to you, and not doing "quiet" work.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2009, 10:27:55 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Hmm... I'd have to say, "Rock Around the Clock" too... because of "Happy Days".

But I'm sure I heard many an Elvis song early on too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »

I'm sorry, Jennifer, that was rather flippant on my part.  But honestly, I have no sympathy for this actor, at all.  Actors, and especially soap opera actors, seem to relish playing murderers, rapist, drug addicts, alcoholics, and adulterers; but they take offense at playing a scene where they kiss a member of their own sex?  I find that extremely hypocritical, even to use the cop-out of it being against their religious beliefs.

Should I, as a gay actor, be excused for refusing to kiss an actor of the opposite sex?  Wouldn't that be ridiculous?  I have played characters, and had to say dialogue that is personally offensive to me, TCB; but is part of the character that I am portraying.  I had a real problem using the "N" word, especially in a play that I knew would be seen by a large number of African-American audiences members, including my friends; but I said it onstage, because my character would and did use that word.  I would feel far more sympathy for an actor, if he refused to play a serial (or cereal) rapist or an adulterer because that was against his religious beliefs.

TCB, I think there is a huge difference between auditioning for a role that requires you to kiss a woman (something you would not have auditioned for had it bothered you) and an actor already cast in a heterosexual role finding the writers making a sudden shift in the sexual orientation of his character. While it would be admirable of the young actor to go with it, there may be more here than meets the eye.  He may have serious reservations about the guy they want him to kiss, for instance.   It may be his views were well-known, that they wanted him out of the show and directed the writers to turn the tables on him knowing he would leave. 

All I'm trying to say is, "Who knows?"  We don't know the "whole story".      :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:35:14 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »

TOD - It's hard for me to separate my Rock 'n' Roll recollections from memories of my sister listening to 45s on her black & pink record player.  I was more into Motown (I grew up in Dee-troit, after all) and, of course, The Beatles.

On a related note, I've been packing up garage sale stuff and one of the boxes has "ACCEPTABLE RATTLE" stamped across the side.  For some reason, that just struck me funny.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »

BK:  Just letting you know that "Tom Jones" and "House of Flowers" arrived in Oakland Wednesday afternoon.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »

bk - As far as your casting woes...

At this point and time, do you have the time and resource$ to hire a casting director?  As opposed to just you and Cason making phone calls looking for leads.  *Since you're on good terms with Julie Reiber, maybe you could see if she could put you in touch with one of Telsey's L.A. consultants.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »

T.O.D.

I think it was probably CHANTILLY LACE.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2009, 10:35:52 AM »

All I'm trying to say is, we don't know the "whole story" and this guy is getting a lot of flak over something that might actually be about something else.

And speaking of flak...

I'm just catching up on the flak from this past week's premiere of "So You Think You Can Dance?" in regards to the same sex couple who audtioned... And the comments from Simon Fuller... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2009, 10:38:51 AM »

And as for the "Y&R" flak...

I haven't had the chance to read any more about the situation beyond what's been posted here on HHW, but...

Since I do watch the show, my first reaction was... "They were going to do what with his character?!?!?"  -I mean, soap opera machinations have never been known for their logic, but this potential turn for this character seems truly out of left field.  Far, far, far left field.

As for what I think about the actor's actions and reaction, well... I'll wait until we hear more from him. And not his agent or publicist.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »

I was incredibly sick the past two days with the worst stomach virus I had in a long time.  Cramps, chills, fever, aches and pains, not to mention output from both ends.  Ugh!

Feeling so much better this morning, though, except for a slightly achey lower back.  I think I will take advantage of the beautiful weather out there and putter and clean up in the back yard.

Good to hear that you're on the mend, DR Dan (the Man).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Just back from having my hair cut and styled.  This is the first Saturday this month I haven't been out of town and I'm enjoying being home.  After doing some prep work on a couple of garments, I'm going out to my Mom's to use my sewing machine, which is on "permanent loan" to her.

I didn't have my hair cut and styled earlier this morning, but this is also the first Saturday that I haven't been out of town since the second week of March.  (WOW!)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »

And since I am in New York City, on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in May...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »

Laters...

Have some ice cream for me, DR Jose, and enjoy The City!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »

But in the meantime...

"America" from West Side Story

;D ;D ;D ::) ;D ;D ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2009, 10:52:33 AM »

Laters...

Have some ice cream for me, DR Jose, and enjoy The City!

DR Ginny - The ice cream last night.  I believe a 75-cent Coco Helado is on today's docket.  Along with $1 pork and chive dumplings.  And Levain! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2009, 10:58:57 AM »

TOD:

When I was about 4 or 5 years old my grandmother gave me some 45s that had belonged to one of my father's kids from his first marriage. One of the 45s was of a rock and roll group from the 60s called THE FROGMEN. That would have been my first (recollected) exposure to rock and roll.

I myself did not listen to top 40 radio until I was in Jr. High School, so up until that point I only knew of Big Band music and old standards, 'cause that is what I listend to on my record player.

As it is, I much prefer "pop" music to "rock and roll," if indeed there is a difference.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2009, 10:59:39 AM »

Well, back outside to my garage cleaning, yard work, and chatting with neighbors.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »

Off to visit my sewing machine, my Mom, my Aunt, and our Son - bye for now!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »

I've done laundry, eayen my lunch, and reorganized my iTunes. I think it's time to tackle Moross and Loesser for a bit.

GUIDING LIGHT's going off the air, the idiocy and complete lack of time, logic, and geography on AS THE WORLD TURNS reaches major heights, and I think the soaps that haven't been cancelled are scrambling to keep an audience. It may be the producers hope for something shocking or major to keep their audiences before daytime tv becomes nothing but reality shows. Losing the actor who didn't like the gay turn of events may be some publicity they're hoping will attract an audience or, at the very least, keep the publicity on the program.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2009, 11:12:27 AM »

Well, back outside to my garage cleaning, yard work, and chatting with neighbors.

Don't talk about your viewing habits and, if they start yawning or look bewildered after your 40th story about trying to pick up Pakistani, Egyptian, or other ethnic cab drivers, ask about them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up