Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL  (Read 12676 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »

Das Rheingold was worse than I could possibly have even imagined.  I am going to credit Larry with the "Eurotrash" label in my review, but this I think deserves some sort of toxic superfund cleanup monies.  When the review goes live, I'll post a link, but suffice it to say for now that Alberich's "dwarfism" is handled by him attaching Dorf-like red boots to his knees, whereupon he hobbles around the stage with his little red feet flopping in front of him.  No, I'm not joking.  And that's actually one of the less ridiculous moments.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »

Speaking of closet cases, my one non-operatic BD is VALKYRIE, starring you know who(m).

Aren't you a bit late on a review - it's already on the store shelves.

der Brucer

As Matt H. can probably second, they have a new policy of not releasing review copies until street date.

Well, that makes sense - that way non of us impressionable people might be influenced by a review! I might add, based on reviews, I am much more likely to buy a DVD I hadn't planned to purchase than not buy one I  had. And I find the DVDTalk and HTF sites the best source of reviews.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DAW

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2009, 03:07:04 PM »

Stop the madness.

That would definitely cut down on the post count.

Speak for yourself!!       :)

JMK

« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2009, 03:07:30 PM »

Speaking of closet cases, my one non-operatic BD is VALKYRIE, starring you know who(m).

Aren't you a bit late on a review - it's already on the store shelves.

der Brucer

As Matt H. can probably second, they have a new policy of not releasing review copies until street date.

Well, that makes sense - that way non of us impressionable people might be influenced by a review! I might add, based on reviews, I am much more likely to buy a DVD I hadn't planned to purchase than not buy one I  had. And I find the DVDTalk and HTF sites the best source of reviews.

der Brucer

It's just some studios.  For example, I routinely get Acorn releases (BBC stuff) literally months ahead of street.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »

Preparing dinner.   Roast chicken, sweet potatoes, and grilled vegetables.

DAW

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

Well, it's a post.

DAW

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »

It's VERY windy here today.  It has hereforto also been quite lovely out.  It's still lovely, but the clear blue skies have turned grey.

DAW

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2009, 03:11:07 PM »

I guess it's time for Truffle and Zach's supper, as well.

Kerry

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »

Bruce,
I'm glad everything worked out with Ted's schedule for the TFNM reading.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »

Das Rheingold was worse than I could possibly have even imagined.  I am going to credit Larry with the "Eurotrash" label in my review, but this I think deserves some sort of toxic superfund cleanup monies.  When the review goes live, I'll post a link, but suffice it to say for now that Alberich's "dwarfism" is handled by him attaching Dorf-like red boots to his knees, whereupon he hobbles around the stage with his little red feet flopping in front of him.  No, I'm not joking.  And that's actually one of the less ridiculous moments.

Eurotrash - the term's not mine, DR JMK; it's been around a long time - productions are the worst, mostly because they're all about the director's ego and sexal hangups, most often having nothing to do with the plot, helping the audience comprehend what's going on in the text the composer set, or too often possessing a semblance of taste.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »

Eurotrash - the term's not mine, DR JMK; it's been around a long time - productions are the worst, mostly because they're all about the director's ego and sexal hangups, most often having nothing to do with the plot, helping the audience comprehend what's going on in the text the composer set, or too often possessing a semblance of taste.

I know you didn't invent it, you've just used it in emails to me over the years and I've always loved it.  So you get the credit.  :)

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2009, 05:07:04 PM »

We are back from our visits.  We scrubbed the trip to Cincinnati to get Richard's iMac back from Rob, because we'll be seeing him at church there tomorrow and can get it then.  My sewing machine needed some adjusting, but worked fine for the two mending projects. I'd forgotten how much I like sewing so, now that I've retired and Mom has bought a spiffy new portable, I think we'll bring my machine back here.  My mom and aunt were please to receive the chocolate Indy race cars that I brought them from Indiana.

We ate pizza for dinner and watched Brief Encounter - well, I watched it and Richard left the room to do his ironing...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »

Yes it was Nigel on SYTYCD who made the comments about the same sex couple dancing.

DAW

« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »

There appears to be a dearth of posts today.

A dearth, I say.

DAW

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »

Richard left the room to do his ironing...

Hey, I thought he was supposed to be taking it easy...           ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »

And re: The Young & The Restless. This story just broke a day or two ago. So the facts, i don't think. are really out there yet.

I'm still not sure if it was a same sex kiss or same sex love scenes that caused the problems.

There was another character revealed to be gay a couple months ago. And he is getting a full fledge love story (or so it is rumored). I don't know if the guy who played adam walked off merely because of one kiss (which seems slightly unlikely). It is possible that they were going to make him part of the gay couple, which would require more than just the one kiss.

I think we will probably find out more. Although the role has already been recast. So this actor is gone from the show.

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »

Hey, I thought he was supposed to be taking it easy...           ;)

:-X

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »

Hey, I thought he was supposed to be taking it easy...           ;)

DR Ginny, thanks for the obituary! Bob White was a wonderful man and I was fortunate to be a friend of his. I regret that after he moved to the nursing home I never saw him when I was in Oxford. Another road paved in hell with my good intentions.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »

Hey, I thought he was supposed to be taking it easy...           ;)

DR Ginny, thanks for the obituary! Bob White was a wonderful man and I was fortunate to be a friend of his. I regret that after he moved to the nursing home I never saw him when I was in Oxford. Another road paved in hell with my good intentions.

You're welcome, DR Elmore.  I feel the same way about not visiting Mrs. Brown more often, especially after my mother-in-law died.  We can walk down that road together...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »

Good Evening!

So...  While I was at the Union Square Greenmarket, I happened to spy celeb-chef, Aaron Sanchez.  He, apparently, was supposed to have some arugula held for him by one of the vendors.  In any case...

Since he was wearing a tank-top the tattoos on his neck, shoulders, arms and (part of his) torso were visible.  Don't think I've ever seen those exposed on "Chopped".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2009, 06:49:19 PM »

Otherwise...

It was another wonderful day in New York City. I did get my Levain fix - Dark Chocolate-Peanut Butter Chip, as well as a pretty good burger from Stand4 (formerly known as "Stand" before the new management took over).  Lots of walking, even some picture-taking.  And since all the roomies happen to be away this weekend, I have the apartment all to myself tonight.  Ah, the stillness. -Coupled with a nice breeze coming through the french doors.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »

As for "SYTYCD?" - Ah, yes, Nigel not Simon.  Thanks for the correction/clarification.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2009, 06:55:35 PM »

Something had happened to us on a show, where had the person been upfront with his conflicts, we just would have said "forget about it, let's work together some other time," but the person waited until already in rehearsal to spring "tech period" conflicts on us.  It didn't seem logical that he didn't know about these conflicts previously in our situation.

I've always found it very interesting how "weddings" seem to be the one conflict that most people forget.  I guess since it's not the person's own wedding, it's just not at the forefront of their mental calendar.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2009, 06:57:03 PM »

Jose, Ted is checking with a casting gal he knows who loves to do theater.  I can probably free up a few hundred bucks for someone, so that's my next plan of attack.  In the meantime, no response to my little e-mail missive to KSA out here - maybe the gal I sent it to just nuked it rather than show it to the people I asked her to pass it along to. 

bk - I have a friend at KSA, L.A...

*Is there any chance that you could just give a call to those "people [you] asked her to pass it along to"?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »

But, DR Jose, didn't *we* have our ice cream today?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2009, 07:28:14 PM »

I Have A Friend At KSA, LA!

That is the opening number of my new Eurotrash musical.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »

My passport expired some time ago and I never expected to have to leave the country again.....now that the remote possibility exists - I can't find it, and so have to apply for a NEW passport instead of a RENEWAL.....

FJL

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »

KSA looks suspiciously like an anagram of SKA

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »

SOUTHLAND season finale was most intriguing tonight.  Yes I like this show, with some of the same caveats as a few other HHW'ers......

But NCIS just keeps getting better and better - or maybe I am just getting more and more comfortable with the cast - so that it is more of a routine than a show.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up