Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: CURMUDGEON  (Read 29494 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: CURMUDGEON
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2009, 07:50:58 AM »

I think the thing that brings out my inner demon the most is disrespect. I try to treat everyone I come into contact with with respect even if I don't particularly like them. When others use sarcasm or put downs without cause, I really see red.

Otherwise, I tend to be nonconfrontational. I usually just walk away or ignore irritating people or situations.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »

Page Three Dance!!!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2009, 07:52:02 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to our own Arnold M. Brockman from the E&T. I'm on the front lines with a splatter shield...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2009, 07:54:03 AM »

HI! DR Edisaurus!!!!

*A splatter shield?  Is bacon and/or deep-frying involved?
Make Your Own Luck.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2009, 07:56:21 AM »

THANK YOU EDISAURUS FOR THE BIRTHDAY WISHES

"It's so nice to see you back where you belong"

Laura

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2009, 07:58:53 AM »

Today is also my sister's birthday. She has two more chemo treatments to go (one was rescheduled for tomorrow, since she didn't want to have to do it on her birthday), then this whole treatment thing will be just a bad memory.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »

Yes, I qualify as a curmudgeon...because I do not tolerate fools or stupidity gladly.  Actually, not stupdity (which I suppose can't be helped) so much as Dan (the man)'s wonderful phrase: willfully ignorant.  I call it the Arrogance of Ignorance.  I am agog that we seem to live in an age where people don't respect knowledge or intelligence, don't seem to know anything, don't think they HAVE to know anything, and our proud of the fact they don't know anything.  And resent people who do know something.  This was an attitude I continually ran into during my days in the trenches of Hollywood...dealing with people who had no knowledge of the history or the demands of their business, people supposedly nurturing dramatic material to fruition who had no skills, training, or knowledge of drama or literature. 

I'm actually a pretty easy-going guy; I didn't mind fighting battles of truly creative differences. Unfortunately, most of the battles I fought were against a rudimentary lack of common sense.  It was one of the few businesses where you could actually show someone how their suggestion would alter or unravel something all the way down the line and they would tell you to go and do it anyway.  Battles were rarely ever about the work, but about ego, vanity, or power plays.

Unfortunately, like Druxy, I am an inveterate windmill tilter and idealist...which probably is how I managed to stay in the business as long as I did.  But idealists usually become cynics.   I think one of the reasons I enjoy BK and Ellison so much is I see these same things in them as myself.  We're all passionate people and passion thwarted or frustrated is not a pretty thing. 

Like BK, I also hate, despise people who hide behind anonymity.  If you don't have the guts to put your name to your opinion, it has no value to me at all.  you are a coward.

I also don't have much patience with people who think the dream is enough, but don't take the risk.  Another reason I get along with BK & Harlan.  We not only dared to dream, but dared to put ourselves on the chopping block for the dream.  Two favourite quotes I live by are:  "He that dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose." by Anne Bronte and "Ninety percent of talent is knowing what to do with it." by my old college theatre prof, Charles Dickens (yes, his real name).  I loathe all these acceptance speeches by performers who say "if you dream hard enough it will come true."  That's a bunch of malarkay to be spewing to young impressionable viewers.  The dream is never enough.  You have to work toward the dream.  You don't become Pavlova or Olivier or Pavarotti by just dreaming and wanting to be.

I also am a curmudgeon about how people are fooled by the blatant lies of politicians and why reporters just don't call them out on that stuff right at the moment.  How much news footage do we have of Dick Cheney telling bald-faced lies?  Why do credible media sources even give him the air-time?  His latest:  torture was legal, effective, made us safer.  First of all, where is the outrage that someone is trying to JUSTIFY TORTURE?  Secondly, it is NOT legal.  The laws against it are on the books and have been in the treaties for years, we've prosecuted and punished others who have done it.  Thirdly, how many interrogation experts have to be paraded on the nightyl news to say torture doesn't elicit any valuable information and often produces misinformation.  Finally, Cheney/Bush and their reviled methods have not made us safer.  Under their watch, we had the greatest terrorist attack ever because they could not be bothered to read memoes entitled Bin Laden Determined to Attack the US...information they had that they didn't get from torture and they didn't or couldn't read it.  After 9/11, the world was behind us, but we squandered that support and good will and further inflamed the hatred of our enemies by fighting the wrong war instead of going after the proper foe and by using methods like torture...to say nothig of winnowing away our constitution and civil liberties.  Made us safer?  I found the Bush administration a lot scarier and far more threatening than any terrorists.

I'm also bored with newscasts that trot out political flacks from both sides to show fairness, but all we end up with are screaming matches with both pundits merely parrotting the party talking points and,once again, no one being held accountable or being called on their bull manure.  I want the truth; not debate.

I'm a curmudgeon about the loss of literature, language, and the dying art of conversation.  Much of that goes, once again, to the Arrogance of Ignorance. " I can't be bothered to read a book...I have to watch eight hours of mindless reality drivel on TV...or check my facebook page eighty times a day...or talk loudly on my cell in public places to my friends about my boring mundane life."   We're so busy being connected and wired...that we're missing life happening all around us.  We're so awash in trivial information that were not acquiring knowledge.

Unlike BK, I learned early on in LA to mellow out in a car.  There's nothing you can do about the experience of driving in LA; to rage against it will only burst a blood vessel.  I used to make sure I had a lot of good music in the car and cranked up the volume.

Kerry

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »

A BIG HHW BIRTHDAY CHEER TO DEAR READER ARNOLD M. BROCKMAN!!!   ;D
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2009, 08:03:30 AM »

Time to go back and read the posts.
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2009, 08:04:27 AM »

I remember seeing "God's Little Acre" at a drive-in theater in Greenville, SC in the late 1950s.  What I remember most about the film was Robert Ryan walking around his property with a divining rod and Michael Landon as an albino.  I had never seen an albino before (even if I WAS born in the south).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »

Today I shall apply for my passport and later attend the dress rehearsal of KISS ME KATE.  I hope I survive both of these events.

I have total faith you'll make it through!
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2009, 08:08:02 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  I tried to sleep late this morning, but the phone kept ringing - first in my dreams, then for real.  Ah, well.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2009, 08:08:41 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Arnold M. Brockman!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »

Jose - sadly, that's approx. 80% [not a scientific number] of people I know, at least in the arts.  I think human nature is to want so much to get your own ideas out and heard, that you overlap and the other person feels you haven't heard what they said.  It's so rare for Person B to wait until Person A has come to a clear and full stop before adding to the conversation.

Fran Lebowitz wrote a great line:  "The opposite of talking isn't listening; the opposite of talking is waiting."
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: DECUSSATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  P.S. I LOVE YOU

XXXXXXXXXXXX

In honor of our languishing film?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: DECUSSATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  P.S. I LOVE YOU

XXXXXXXXXXXX

WRONG!!  THE SONG OF THE DAY IS HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2009, 08:17:32 AM »

Curmudgeon: a surly, ill-mannered, bad-tempered person

I don't think I am a curmudgeon, and I hope never to be.

CP, I would not put you in that catagory, at least not with that definition. Most of what you say I certainly agree with (well, except I do love me some reality competition shows on occasion).

However, if we are just talking things that make us very angry, bigotry and prejudice is one such thing or outright rudeness to others.

Aside from that I can usually keep my cool very easily.

Edisaurus

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2009, 08:18:17 AM »

HI! DR Edisaurus!!!!

*A splatter shield?  Is bacon and/or deep-frying involved?

Something more unpleasant...think "shineola"...

DAW

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »

with a divining rod

Is that what they used to call it?

JMK

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »

I received two (count 'em) emails from the producer of a little indy film I reviewed (which actually co-stars two LOST cast members, Jon Gries and Tania Raymonde), thanking me profusely for my review.  Except my review was kind of mixed.  At least it wasn't a curmudgeonly email.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »

How nice to see you here, DR edisaurus!!     :D

DAW

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »

At least it wasn't a curmudgeonly email. 

Your restraint must have been admirable.

JMK

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2009, 08:21:19 AM »

I can certainly be curmudgeonly, but I never start out that way.  If I am treated courteously, I inevitably respond in kind.  When I am thrust up against boorishness, I will not tolerate it and I am not shy about giving it right back, and then some.  I have brought several smug, self-centered people up short with this approach (most recently, the developer, who is under the impression he has the right to do/act however he pleases).   It's been a running family joke that, being both Jewish and Irish, we have the Irish temper and the Jewish intellect to back it up.  :)

DAW

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2009, 08:21:28 AM »

I will still respect you

...in the morning?

JMK

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »

At least it wasn't a curmudgeonly email. 

Your restraint must have been admirable.

He emailed me.   ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2009, 08:26:45 AM »

DR Arnold Brockman, I hope you have a very happy birthday!!!

Edisaurus

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2009, 08:27:27 AM »

Nice to be here, if only for a brief moment. Depending on what happens today, I could be spending *a lot* more time here...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2009, 08:29:23 AM »

TOD:

Things that make me see red include:

In a movie theater, someone will ALWAYS sit behind me with a tub of popcorn, a large soda and two or three candy bars.  This "someone" will be extra-careful about not making "too much" noise and will SLOWLY begin tearing the paper wrapper off the candy bar thereby actually drawing out the annoyance of the sound.  I have been known to turn in my seat and implore said "someone" to just rip the damned wrapper off the candy bar and be done with it.  This "someone" will then turn to the tub of popcorn, but will not eat from the top.  No.  This "someone" is a burrower.  A huge tub of popcorn turns into a treasure hunt, apparently, with "someone" driving his entire hand to the very bottom of the full tub of popcorn.  After several of these burrowing sessions, said "someone" then siphons off most of the soda and then begins the ritual of shaking the ice in the cup. 

In traffic, especially here in the Bay Area, people will suddenly stop in the right lane, turn on the "emergency lights" on the auotmobile and then exit the car to go into a store.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I can accept (grudgingly) that suppliers do this to deliver goods (most stores don't have "back alleys" or delivery doors except for the street fronts).  But people who presume to be so important that they dare block an entire lane of traffic for their own personal needs should be FLAYED ALIVE!

Cell phones ringing in a theater:  I WILL embarrass you loudly and clearly and you WILL run from the theater.

Cell phones on the street:  Fools walking down the sidewalk laughing or yelling or cussing or whatever as if they were in an isolation booth.  Should be COMMITTED.

Cell phones in stores:  Morons who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time become blithering idiots in stores.  Especially egregious are the ones in line whose phone calls become more important than the check-out process or the line of people behind them.  I have been close to ripping a phone out of a woman's hand, throwing it to the ground and stomping it to death.  Close, mind you, but not yet....no, not yet!

Cell phones in cars:  It's illegal to use a handheld phone when driving in the state of California.  My guess is that it was only the first few weeks of this year that law enforcement did anything remotely resembling enforcement on this issue.  And the ones who continue to use handheld phones are the VERY ONES who were never able to drive correctly when talking on their cell phones.   They stop at "Stop" signs and then forget what they are doing.  They give turn signals and slow down to a stop but FORGET to turn because they are "elsewhere" in their thoughts.  My car horn generally does the trick in getting their attention.  It also elicits one-fingered salutes, too....but I am more than happy to return the greeting.

Impatient folks in busy venues:  I learned long, long ago that when I enter a busy restaurant or any other establishment, I must understand that the wait will be longer than usual for service, whether it's food service or standing on line to make a purchase.  I have more often been rewarded by spirited, kindly waitpersons of all persuasions who apologize, who smile and who make sure that I know I have not been forgotten even while waiting.  Around me, though, is the occasional johnny-who-came-later-than-me who becomes loud and unpleasant about not having been served immediately.  Sometimes, waiters attend them first just to shut them up.  I'm certain these folks are those who learned early in life that if they're unpleasant enough, they will be attended to despite their inability to adapt to reality. 

What really riles me, though, is when my turn has come and the waiter asks if I'm ready to order, only to discover his or her attention is drawn by an "Oh, waiter!" from another table and I find my order ISN'T about to be taken but that the waiter has walked away from me and has seemingly forgotten I was there as he raced off on some errand from a neighboring table.   

And I cannot even TELL you how aggravated, disgusted and infuriated I've been (only once, but it still rankles) when, after being on line for about 10 minutes, I found myself at the head of a line and was telling the clerk what I wanted when the telephone at the clerk's position rang and the clerk answered the phone and gave priority to the caller.  This "caller" got first-rate service, mind you, and for the same product I was there to buy.  When the clerk finished, I was told I would have to wait while the clerk filled the order he had just taken.  I asked for the manager....and, politely, went BALLISTIC.   The telephone at the clerk's position was removed next time I was in the store.

Internet forums:  Lord what fools some of these morons be.  I've had my share of encounters.  The most annoying are the ones who enter a thread and complain about the rest of us discussing the subject matter because "they" don't find it interesting and "they" don't have enough time to wade through all the discussion to determine if anything has been said that will interest them.  It's a good thing I don't possess telekinetic powers.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:51:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2009, 08:32:22 AM »

Hi, DR Edi!  Nice to see you!

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2009, 08:32:32 AM »

Nice to see you, DR Edi whenever you can find time to join us. You have been missed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up