Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MORSE CODE NOTES  (Read 38128 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE MORSE CODE NOTES
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2004, 08:12:26 PM »

And, in case people are running out of things to talk about, here's a link where you can buy something called Meatball Magic!

A quick quote:

The meatballs are formed as the meat hits the sides of the grid as you rotate Meatball Magic in a circular motion. The typical comment after seeing Meatball Magic in action is "Wow!" "It's so simple!"

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2004, 08:13:28 PM »

I just finished watching DEADWOOD, and I recommend it.  It was the pilot, so there were tons of characters to introduce and I found some of it confusing.  I think I'll stick with it for a while and see how it develops.  The cast is interesting, but getting used to this Calamity Jane after Doris Day is difficult.  When does she sing "Secret Love?"

To all of you who missed the chat, it was fun.  BK is always the most sparkling host and he leads a lively discussion.

DR Panni, when I first met Miss Natwick, the first thing I told her was how much I loved her singing  the "Elephant Song" in 70 GIRLS 70, and she laughed and told me I had to come for tea.  She created Mme Arcati in the American premiere of BLITHE SPIRIT and IO can't imagine someone so different from Margaret Rutherford in the role.  I believe I saw her recreate the role in the Coward-Bacall-Colbert broadcast of BLITHE SPIRIT, but I have no memory of it now.  She lived on Park Avenue in the 60s, as I recall.  I didn't see DANGEROUS LIAISONS until after she died, and she's so wonderful in the film.

I also befriended Brenda Forbes, who was in the Routledge-Price musical DARLING OF THE DAY singing "Panache," and she was also a great lady and sweet person.  She wrote a bio that was friendly but not gossipy enough for all the work she did.

Good night, all!

Good night, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2004, 08:15:04 PM »

an echo!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2004, 08:16:14 PM »

And just for that, we're doing the PAGE FIVE DANCE!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
;D :D ;D :D ;D
:D ;D :D ;D :D
;D :D ;D :D ;D
[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2004, 08:18:15 PM »

Love the page five dance - never thought we'd get even close.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2004, 08:23:22 PM »

Well, I disagree vehemently with what Noel wrote about Sondheim, but since he was writing about his own personal interpretations and reactions, of course, they're his to have and his to say. I just differ with them in every respect.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2004, 08:28:33 PM »

This different Claritrin, Claritrin D is doing a much better job - not taking it totally away yet, but I'm not sitting here rubbing my eyes to death or sneezing incessantly.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2004, 08:33:51 PM »

I LOVED the TV series Mildred Natwick won her Emmy for - THE SNOOP SISTERS with Helen Hayes. I was so sorry that it only ran a season (in rotation with other titles on NBC's Tuesday Mystery Movie omnibus). Mildred and Helen were both allegedly delighted it was canceled. They found working in a TV series a disorganized mess and didn't enjoy the experience, at least according to interviews Helen Hayes gave a year after the show went off the air.

td

• td
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2004, 08:52:18 PM »

I love Mildred Natwick in THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY and AT LONG LAST LOVE.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2004, 08:54:03 PM »

I saw BARBERSHOP at my friend's home after we had dinner. Certainly funny in spots, but W.C. Fields, it ain't.

Looks like the possibility of reaching a daily low is now within possibility of overtaking, so I'm signing off and leaving it to the late night West Coasters to carry on through the next few hours.

Hope everyone has a pleasant evening.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 08:58:09 PM by Matt H. »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2004, 08:57:59 PM »

I have returned from "An Evening with Dame Edna."  I suppose I have laughed as hard as I did this afternoon on other occasions.  But never before have I laughed so hard continuously for two and one half hours (excepting the 15-minute interval.)  Mr. Humphries is a most talented artist, indeed.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2004, 08:59:55 PM »

Watched Streisand.  Too many clips, no probing, very surface and rehearsed.

Imagine that.  She who in live concert read her "ad-libs" off the teleprompters.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Laura II

« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2004, 09:00:04 PM »

To everyone, thank you all SO very much for your sympathy. Your posts brought tears to my eyes (happy ones) as I realized how my second family would be thinking of my great aunt along with my relatives and me. Your thoughts mean so much to us. Thank you!

Uncle Woody, your words were particularly touching, and I truly appreciate them. You always seem to know exactly what to say. I can't thank you enough.

Love, Laura

Oh, Jane, thank you for congratulating me! I will keep everyone posted about my decision. :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2004, 09:05:27 PM »

DR Jay: Mr Humphries was there too? Wow! Did you notice if Sir Les Patterson was present as well? Dame Edna usually refuses to appear with him but now that he is better known in North America for his work in "Finding Nemo" I wondered if Sir Les was tolerated more.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2004, 10:03:38 PM »

I agree re Dame Edna.  When I saw her in NY I thought I was going to have a heart attack I was laughing so hard and loud, and I am not an easy laugher.  The Sopranos was very strange and very good tonight.  It's been a slow build so far, but it looks like it's finally kicking into gear.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2004, 10:22:08 PM »

What is the dreaded all-time low number of posts that we want to avoid if at all possible?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2004, 10:23:50 PM »

Laura II -- My deepest sympathies on your loss.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2004, 10:48:34 PM »

For some reason I am totally exhausted tonight. Fell asleep during The Sopranos and missed the last 15 minutes. Drat.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2004, 10:54:28 PM »

I've read with interest all the comments regarding Sondheim.

For me, there isn't anything to debate.  I have never felt Sondheim to be cold, distant or unemotional.  It grieves me that there are people out there who cannot hear and feel what I hear and feel in his music.

Outside of anecdotes about Sondheim and how he might or might not feel about Larry Hart, it's totally not relevant, IMO, to any of his own work which is informed by a sensibility that was ripe for when it arrived and blossomed.

Hart's and Hammerstein's works are both timeless and of their era, the latter remark meaning that the world as it was, and New York as it was, and theatrical sensibilities as they were at that time, are what shaped and informed their lyrics.  That, plus their entire personal histories and experiences.

Ditto for Sondheim.  His work is informed by how the world has impressed him and how he has related to the world.

To me it seems so clear.  And that, in turn, allows me to love and appreciate each for his own distinctive talents and contributions without feeling a need to pit one against the other.  

« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 11:02:07 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2004, 11:02:19 PM »

Amazingly, the dreaded number of low posts is an astonishingly high number - there have been many weekends and even some weekdays when we were so far away from that number I thought we'd for sure have a new low, but thus far we've managed to squeak by each time.  It's not important - I've come to realize that, even though it used to drive me crazy, I'm jiggy with whatever we do.  Our lowest number of posts, which we have managed to beat ever since this board went "live" is 135.  Considering that most days prior to this board we were lucky to hit 100, I'd say that's pretty terrific.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2004, 11:39:29 PM »

So sad to be all alone in the world.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2004, 11:40:04 PM »

I guess the Wussburgers must have all gone beddy-bye.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2004, 11:42:05 PM »

you're not alone, bk...I'm here

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2004, 11:48:33 PM »

Ah, a customer!  Wait, what's your rush, what's your hurry, sit you down - what am I, Mrs. Lovett all of a sudden?

Thank you, Ann.  Now keeping with our Sondheim theme, I can sing No One Is Alone

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2004, 11:59:33 PM »

You're Gonna Love Tomorrow!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up