Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CAST ALBUMS  (Read 20368 times)

Ginny

Re: CAST ALBUMS
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »

Father's Day greetings!  We are back from Lima, where DH Richard preached a very good sermon and I hosted the coffee hour, serving my homemade cinnamon coffee cake, grapes, and Bing cherries.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »

I still think Tyrone Power was the best Zorro ever. . .but, that's what makes horse racing.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »

What is that beautiful building?

It's Westminster Cathedral in London, just down the street from Westminster Abbey.  Which makes those "Fathers" Roman Catholic.

Thank you.  I've been there.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2009, 01:18:41 PM »

I feel I deserve something fun to eat and shall now figure out what that might be.  I've been watching Zorro episodes - I got a five-volume set, which I guess is a Disney Club exclusive, but nowhere on the box does it say these episodes are colorized - they're horrible-looking, but I really like the show and Guy Williams is the best Zorro ever.

Both seasons of ZORRO and the four TV-movies are coming out in Disney tins this fall, and they will NOT be the colorized versions.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »

BK-

In Your Opinion wasn't Kate Winslet's performance in REVOLUTIONARY ROAD more deserving of an Oscar than THE READER. I think so!

And Then I just realized that you never got past the vomiting scene.

By The Way,I thought that The READER was an awful film.

I thought the same thing DR ArnoldMBrockman.  But since the Academy doesn't allow actor's to compete against themselves.. Or is that the Golden Globes... In any case...

I did think her performance in "Revolutionary Road" was better than her performance in "The Reader".  -And, even though I liked "The Reader", I thought the first half - even with the vomiting - was a bit too purposely slow-paced for my tastes. And I still am "upset" that the previews showed parts of the scenes with Lena Olin.

*Of course, the real omission was Leonardo di Caprio not getting an Oscar nom for "Revolutionary Road".

No, it's the Oscars that don't allow for an actor to occupy more than one slot in a category. That's why the Weinstein company had "suggested" that WInslet be considered supporting for THE READER and leading for REVOLUTIONARY ROAD. The Golden Globes took the bait and nominated her that way and she won in both categories. The Academy voters saw it differently and nominated her work in THE READER as a leading role, and since she garnered more votes for it than for REVOLUTIONARY ROAD, that's the one she got nominated for.

I think it's funny that directors can earn multiple nominations in their category in a single year but not actors.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »

And the SAG voters nominated her for THE READER in supporting and didn't nominate her for REVOLUTIONARY ROAD (which is how Meryl Streep won the SAG this year for Best Actress).

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »

Anyway, I watched another LOST episode from Season 3 on Blu-ray (episode #2) while I cooked and ate lunch. The transfer is simply amazing, and I had forgotten much of the Sun and Jin backstory in this episode completely.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »

I wanted to start my work project at 1 p.m., so I had time to watch the first half of THE FASHION SHOW. They're in teams of two this week, so naturally there's dissention and pettiness. The garments were just starting to come together before I had to shut it off.

Becki Newton from UGLY BETTY is this week's guest judge.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2009, 01:29:10 PM »

Then, I watched MY DINNER WITH ANDRE. Such a scintillating conversation and at 111 not the least bit dull even though it's just two men sitting in a restaurant talking. No one would take this kind of chance with a movie like this today. It must have been made for peanuts (shot on 16mm film), and I saw that it grossed $15 million. Pretty impressive for an "art" film.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »

Then I watched the bonus features. First was a one hour interview with the two persons in the movie. I had NO idea that this wasn't shot in a NYC restaurant! All these years, and I had no idea. I knew it was scripted; this wasn't extemporaneous talking in real-time, but what a surprise about the location shooting. And the waiter was an actor, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »

The second bonus feature was a one hour BBC interview with Wallace Shawn interviewing Louis Malle talking about his film career up to 1982. Filled with film clips, it was quite interesting to hear Malle talk about his work. And the clips really make you want to revisit some of those movies.

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2009, 01:33:55 PM »

Revolutionary Road is my book group's August selection.  That's the month when we read the book, have a potluck dinner, and watch the movie together.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »

So I'll have time tonight to watch some things for fun. I'll likely watch WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER on the DVR so I can clear it off (never seen it all the way through). If I have time, I'll watch another episode of THE CLOSER so I can get that box set finished and placed on the shelf. And I'd like to finish THE FASHION SHOW.

Then, I can watch TRUE BLOOD tonight around 10 or so off the DVR.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2009, 01:35:30 PM »

I was expecting to get REVOLUTIONARY ROAD to review (and also BENJAMIN BUTTON and DEFIANCE), but then I got switched from Paramount to Fox and it went to someone else.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2009, 01:58:58 PM »

OK, my afternoon surf is completed. I need to jump off-line now and get today's work project written up.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »

I'm having tuna sandwiches for lunch - haven't done that in a while.  This evening I have to deal with some unpleasantness, but I hope it goes quickly and smoothly.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »

I love cast albums......especially the ones that made me feel like I knew what the show was about, and I could imagine what was happening onstage....

GYPSY, BYE BYE BIRDIE, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, WEST SIDE STORY - such fun...and STILL such fun.  I ordered the CAST ALBUM of BBB just last week.  I don't have it on CD, and with the revival looming, I wanted to hear the original a few more times before it was "improved" with new people.....like John Stamos and Gina Gershon, and John Irwin, who's charm escapes me, sorry DR EDISAURUS....  The clips I saw of Irwin and Kathleen Turner from WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF seemed to be two second raters tossing one liners back and forth....Albee is NOT Neil Simon....I don't think.

I think I shall skip purchasing the new WSS cd.

That's Bill Irwin, who is such a sweet man. I did TONIGHT AT 8:30 with him at williamstown. However gracefully and rhythmically he moves, I didn't find him either a singer with a sense of good pitch or good rhythm. I wish him well at Roundabout, but I do find them the Bermuda Triangle of good musicals. So many re lost now, thanks to Roundabout morons.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »

bk - You should be aware that William E. Lurie copied and pasted your WSS recording comments and posted them to the CASTRECL.

I am truly hoping that he first solicited your permission.

You beat me to the punch! Of course I've been away for the past 6 hours, too.

Andre de Shields is also a very sweet man, DR JRand58. I worked with him around 2004 on a Eubie Blake project for the Chicago Humanities Festival. He was also wonderful in AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »

As for the original(!) cast recording of West Side Story...

(And I think I may have told this story before, but...)

I still remember listening to the OCR - the record/LP/vinyl - of West Side Story over at a friend's house in high school.  Both of his parents made pretty good money, and they had very nice house, and a very nice HiFi set-up.  He put on West Side Story, and I still remember being able to hear - and see! - the Jets running upstage and downstage, left and right during "The Jet Song"... The Sharks on their side of the gym, the Jets on theirs during "Mambo"... And Maria singing up on her balcony, and Tony starting off in the street and the climbing up to join her... And the "Quintet" was practically dizzying!

I thought they had recorded the show in the theatre - complete with blocking.  Of course, that was not the case.  It really was Magic.

I remember when I first discovered the recording room at the public library around 1960. I would drag home cast recordings I'd never heard- which were many - and drive my family mad. WEST SIDE STORY was so exciting. Everyone, including my cousins and my aunts, had to hear it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

DR JoseSPiano - so, has one of the two new roommates started moving in yet?

Yes. Soan and his family came in yesterday to take some measurements, and they dropped of a few things earlier this morning. Apparently, an IKEA truck will be coming by tomorrow to drop off some more stuff.

DR Jose, did you mention and I missed it? Did your landlady pay the visit yesterday?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »

Then, I watched MY DINNER WITH ANDRE. Such a scintillating conversation and at 111 not the least bit dull even though it's just two men sitting in a restaurant talking. No one would take this kind of chance with a movie like this today. It must have been made for peanuts (shot on 16mm film), and I saw that it grossed $15 million. Pretty impressive for an "art" film.

I used to see Wallace Shawn regularly at the Drama Book Shop. He was such a nice man to visit with!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »

I still remember listening to the OCR - the record/LP/vinyl - of West Side Story over at a friend's house in high school.  Both of his parents made pretty good money, and they had very nice house, and a very nice HiFi set-up.  He put on West Side Story, and I still remember being able to hear - and see! - the Jets running upstage and downstage, left and right during "The Jet Song"... The Sharks on their side of the gym, the Jets on theirs during "Mambo"... And Maria singing up on her balcony, and Tony starting off in the street and the climbing up to join her... And the "Quintet" was practically dizzying!

I thought they had recorded the show in the theatre - complete with blocking.  Of course, that was not the case.  It really was Magic.

I remember when I first discovered the recording room at the public library around 1960. I would drag home cast recordings I'd never heard- which were many - and drive my family mad. WEST SIDE STORY was so exciting. Everyone, including my cousins and my aunts, had to hear it.

So, your house was the first one with electricity?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »

The skies overhead are looking very strange.  I am keeping watch for thunder and lightening.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

I used to see Wallace Shawn regularly at the Drama Book Shop. He was such a nice man to visit with!

We have watched My Dinner multiple times.  Keith is a big fan of Wallace Shawn I'll pass along your comment DR elmore.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »

Almost, but no cigar. My grandmother's home in Appalachian Kentucky didn't have electricity until around 1954 and no running water or indoor plumbing until I was in college and my dad installed it for her.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2009, 02:44:12 PM »

Almost, but no cigar. My grandmother's home in Appalachian Kentucky didn't have electricity until around 1954 and no running water or indoor plumbing until I was in college and my dad installed it for her.

My grandmother never failed to let my dad know that he and his family came second to his older brother Dewey and his children in her affections. I would have let her crawl to the outhouse myself before I busted my butt to install a water line after her treatment. My dad was a good man. I'm not.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2009, 03:07:17 PM »

Oh... I guess I took a nap.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »

I just came across this wonderful appreciation of "Pretty Boy" - who was otherwise known as "The Mayor of Seventh Street".  He was a Cat.  And he will be missed.

Mourning the Mayor of Seventh Street

*The closing paragraphs of this article could be quite tear-inducing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »

Yes. Soan and his family came in yesterday to take some measurements, and they dropped of a few things earlier this morning. Apparently, an IKEA truck will be coming by tomorrow to drop off some more stuff.

DR Jose, did you mention and I missed it? Did your landlady pay the visit yesterday?

DR elmore - I think I may have mentioned it, and/or I think you may have missed it.  In any case, she did come by yesterday morning.  And, as a result, we're getting a fresh coat of paint, as well as some other minor "repairs" being taken care of over the next few weeks.  It also turned out that the reason she had been incommunicado over the past few weeks - and in Alaska last week - was that she had a death in the family.  But it was nice to finally catch up with her face-to-face, and it looks like we were able to work some other lease issues out too.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »

DR elmore - I think I may have mentioned it, and/or I think you may have missed it.  In any case, she did come by yesterday morning.  And, as a result, we're getting a fresh coat of paint, as well as some other minor "repairs" being taken care of over the next few weeks.  It also turned out that the reason she had been incommunicado over the past few weeks - and in Alaska last week - was that she had a death in the family.  But it was nice to finally catch up with her face-to-face, and it looks like we were able to work some other lease issues out too.

Fantastic!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up