Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE  (Read 13860 times)

DAW

Re: NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 06:28:41 AM »

TOD:

Hearts.   99.   Gin Rummy.

I suppose I'd like to learn how to play Bridge some day.

DAW

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 06:29:16 AM »

In the meantime I guess I'll just sit here by myself and play Solitaire.       :)

DAW

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 06:46:45 AM »

Has any DR looked at this?  Reactions??

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 06:47:11 AM »

Monday morning greetings!

Ginny, when do you and Richard arrive? We will be on Long Island for the July 4th Weekend and since the actual date is a Saturday my office will be closed Friday the 3rd and I, due to non-official accumulated comp time, will be leaving for LI around 1pm on July 2nd (Anthony will be out there probably on the 1st.

DR Ben, we arrive this coming Sunday evening, June 28.  I have an errand to do at your workplace and Richard and I have some sightseeing to do on the Lower East Side, so maybe we could meet you for lunch early in the week?  I'm glad to hear you're getting some well-earned time off.

We're seeing IN THE HEIGHTS on Monday evening, BLITHE SPIRIT on Tuesday evening, and HAIR on Wednesday afternoon, and keeping our other evenings open to try to see TWELFTH NIGHT with DRs Elmore and Jose.

We fly out Saturday morning, July 4.

Lunch on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday would be great. What day are you at the FC? We could aim for lunch on that day.

My visit to the FC is not a fixed appointment.  I ordered online a copy of the 2008 Philanthropy Annual, which UPS left on the porch in the rain when we were away for a week.  It's totally ruined and my claim to UPS has gone nowhere.  Thought I'd just pack it up and hand-deliver it to the FC and hope to get a replacement.  As a retired CC supervisor and member of the Cleveland Advisory Board, I thought they could have sent me a complimentary copy...

Anyway, since we have a Wednesday matinee, Monday or Tuesday would probably be best to venture downtown.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 06:51:45 AM »

Monday morning greetings!

Ginny, when do you and Richard arrive? We will be on Long Island for the July 4th Weekend and since the actual date is a Saturday my office will be closed Friday the 3rd and I, due to non-official accumulated comp time, will be leaving for LI around 1pm on July 2nd (Anthony will be out there probably on the 1st.

DR Ben, we arrive this coming Sunday evening, June 28.  I have an errand to do at your workplace and Richard and I have some sightseeing to do on the Lower East Side, so maybe we could meet you for lunch early in the week?  I'm glad to hear you're getting some well-earned time off.

We're seeing IN THE HEIGHTS on Monday evening, BLITHE SPIRIT on Tuesday evening, and HAIR on Wednesday afternoon, and keeping our other evenings open to try to see TWELFTH NIGHT with DRs Elmore and Jose.

We fly out Saturday morning, July 4.

Lunch on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday would be great. What day are you at the FC? We could aim for lunch on that day.

My visit to the FC is not a fixed appointment.  I ordered online a copy of the 2008 Philanthropy Annual, which UPS left on the porch in the rain when we were away for a week.  It's totally ruined and my claim to UPS has gone nowhere.  Thought I'd just pack it up and hand-deliver it to the FC and hope to get a replacement.  As a retired CC supervisor and member of the Cleveland Advisory Board, I thought they could have sent me a complimentary copy...

Anyway, since we have a Wednesday matinee, Monday or Tuesday would probably be best to venture downtown.

I agree, they owe you one. Funny the things they do and don't do nowadays. Tuesday is good for me. Anytime between 11:30 and 1:30 for a time frame.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 06:54:22 AM »

TOD:

Gin.  Gin all the time and all day long.

Oh, and my favorite card game is a friendly game of Poker.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 06:56:41 AM »

a friendly game of Poker.

Strip??      ;)     

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 07:06:55 AM »

And the word of the day is: ELEEMOSYNARY!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SWEET CHARITY

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 07:09:44 AM »

Has any DR looked at this?  Reactions??

It's a funny premise but it's haphazardly executed.  The guy just interpolates his own scenes into the original prose.  Some of it is hilariously funny and off-the-wall but other times just repetitious.

This book is from the same guy who stole my Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter novel.  Grrrrr...  He had better stay away from my Ben Franklin is actually Merlin the Magician idea.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 07:11:23 AM »

OK, DR Ben, Tuesday it is!  I'll look at our other downtown destinations and come up with a plan.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 07:11:38 AM »

a friendly game of Poker.

Strip??      ;)    

Yep, with my frat bros!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 07:13:18 AM »

And why is Hermione Baddeley accompaning Dorothy in that clip?
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 07:20:19 AM »

Because she can??

DAW

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 07:20:36 AM »

Thanks for the zombie info, DR DtM!!!     :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 07:35:41 AM »

It's a symphony in hammering and yammering next door.  The first movement began at seven with the allegro con brio.  Ten minutes later, after the entire neighborhood was up, the andante began, with only occasional hammering and yammering.  And so it goes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 07:36:19 AM »

It's already very sunny out.  And very blue.  Yes, when sunny gets blue it may be time for jogging.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 07:36:41 AM »

Is Tom Cruise going to play Roger Federer in the movie??

I've always thought it was a little unfair that the men get a trophy and the women get a plate. I know it's a tradition, and it'll never change, but it doesn't seem quite equitable.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:09 AM »

Good morning!

It was a tiny bit cooler this morning when I went out to get the paper, but I didn't bother opening the house up knowing it would warm up quickly. Another day in the 90s today.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2009, 07:40:09 AM »

Happy Birthday to Myrle Streep!

Looking forward to JULIA AND JULIA later this summer...
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 07:41:58 AM »

RE HARRY POTTER Blu-rays:

The third film got the best reviews of the five released thus far. It was the first to not follow the books so slavishly, and it's very exciting as are all of the other films. It also was the first not directed by Chris Columbus, so that was also a big plus.

The Blu-rays look and sound marvelous.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »

My work project for today is THE JONAS BROTHERS: THE 3-D CONCERT EXPERIENCE.

The Jonas Brothers' concert film didn't do anything like the box-office business that the Miley Cyrus concert did a year ago, so I know Disney was a bit disappointed.

At any rate, they've extended the running time by 13 minutes from the theatrical cut, and there are both the 3-D and 2-D versions in the Blu-ray package. I'll start with the 3-D version and then just spot check the 2-D version. I have NO intention of sitting through the concert twice.

There don't appear to be many bonus features. Some extra songs and a behind-the-scenes featurette, but that looks to be pretty much it. If I'm lucky, I can finish up with this during the afternoon and have the evening free for something fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2009, 07:49:02 AM »

On TV TOnight!™

NBC - I'M A CELEBRITY, DATELINE
ABC - THE BACHELORETTE, HERE COME THE NEWLYWEDS
BRA - MY LIFE ON THE D-LIST
TNT - THE CLOSER, RAISING THE BAR
SHO - WEEDS, NURSE JACKIE

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »

TOD:

In college, it was definitely Hearts, and even during the early years of my first partnership, we used to have card night with friends every Tuesday, and we played Hearts. Really enjoyed those evenings.

Now, if I'm asked to play cards, I'd rather play gin rummy.

I used to play Bridge (learned how on my first computer), but I haven't played in so long I've forgotten almost everything about the bidding.

Simplier games like Old Maid, Go Fish, and Battle are also favorite memories from my youth.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2009, 07:53:26 AM »

I wish someone would teach me pinochle. The game has always looked like fun, but I've never had anyone sit me down and teach me how to play.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:55 AM »

I'm expecting the Blu-ray review copy of BURN NOTICE  - SEASON 2 in the mail today. If it comes, that will be my work project for the next two days beginning tomorrow. It actually streeted last week.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »

I really don't understand this symphony in hammering and yammering.  They make more noise than you can possibly imagine, and then ten minutes later it's down to almost nothing and now it's total silence.  Why do they DO that?  What sense does it make?  Why don't they start quietly, THEN make the big noise.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2009, 08:03:13 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, yes, I'm doing laundry.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »

Ooohhh!!!!... Beach Volleyball Players on "The Today Show"... In their uniforms... Or the lack thereof... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 08:07:03 AM »

Monday.  No, I have never had to show a card when I purchased PVP at Blockbuster, although I have one....haven't RENTED anything in many years.

I found TWO Blu Ray Discs this morning - TWILIGHT and THE MUMMY CURSE OF THE CHINESE EMPEROR (or whatever it's called) - 2/$25......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »

I am thinking of writing a book.....Ben Franklin is actually Merlin the Magician and Thomas Jefferson is King Arthur.....Betsy Ross is Guenevere and Patrick Henry is Lancelot.  This is an original idea, isn't it?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up