Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE  (Read 13810 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 08:09:35 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The first card games I remember being taught/playing: Go Fish, Old Maid, War.  There was also something called "Spit" - where you were supposed to actually spit.  I'm guessing that was not the official "Hoyle" version.

When I was playing for the community theatre circuit around the DC area, there were a lot of bridge players among the cast and crew.  I picked up the game pretty fast, even if I was never that strategic a player.  Of course, I "lost" the game just as fast as I picked it up.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 08:11:28 AM »

My work project for today is THE JONAS BROTHERS: THE 3-D CONCERT EXPERIENCE.

The Jonas Brothers' concert film didn't do anything like the box-office business that the Miley Cyrus concert did a year ago, so I know Disney was a bit disappointed.

At any rate, they've extended the running time by 13 minutes from the theatrical cut, and there are both the 3-D and 2-D versions in the Blu-ray package. I'll start with the 3-D version and then just spot check the 2-D version. I have NO intention of sitting through the concert twice.

There don't appear to be many bonus features. Some extra songs and a behind-the-scenes featurette, but that looks to be pretty much it. If I'm lucky, I can finish up with this during the afternoon and have the evening free for something fun.

This is an instance where I definitely do not envy you in your work, DR Matt!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 08:12:52 AM »

PAGE THREE DECK OF CARDS DANCE!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 08:13:06 AM »

My favorite bridge game patter in the movies (except for  Harpo and Chico in ANIMAL CRACKERS) - is Thelma Ritter in Titanic (1953) when the opposition takes the trick on the last play....

"Over trumped....don't send a baby to buy the beer."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:20 AM »

I am thinking of writing a book.....Ben Franklin is actually Merlin the Magician and Thomas Jefferson is King Arthur.....Betsy Ross is Guenevere and Patrick Henry is Lancelot.  This is an original idea, isn't it?

Grrrrrr...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 08:18:35 AM »

The latest issue of Rolling Stone has hit my desk.  In the Chart Flashback on the final page, it lists the top ten albums for the week of June 14, 1969.  At number one, the HAIR...soundtrack?
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 08:21:07 AM »

My work project for today is THE JONAS BROTHERS: THE 3-D CONCERT EXPERIENCE.

The Jonas Brothers' concert film didn't do anything like the box-office business that the Miley Cyrus concert did a year ago, so I know Disney was a bit disappointed.

At any rate, they've extended the running time by 13 minutes from the theatrical cut, and there are both the 3-D and 2-D versions in the Blu-ray package. I'll start with the 3-D version and then just spot check the 2-D version. I have NO intention of sitting through the concert twice.

There don't appear to be many bonus features. Some extra songs and a behind-the-scenes featurette, but that looks to be pretty much it. If I'm lucky, I can finish up with this during the afternoon and have the evening free for something fun.

This is an instance where I definitely do not envy you in your work, DR Matt!

I know, but every job has its positives and negatives. I'm trying to keep an open mind though, I admit going in, that I'm not their biggest fan.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 08:22:15 AM »

Has anyone seen the remake of The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3?  I was just reading some horrible reviews, mixed with some excellent reviews - although, the excellent reviews make the film sound more horrible than the horrible reviews.  Of course, I only have to hear the name Tony Scott to know what kind of film I'm in for.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »

Heading down now to get cleaned up to go out and get my lunch later. Best friend John is at the beach this week, so I'm lunching solo as everyone I contacted is busy for lunch today. [sigh]

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 08:23:39 AM »

The latest issue of Rolling Stone has hit my desk.  In the Chart Flashback on the final page, it lists the top ten albums for the week of June 14, 1969.  At number one, the HAIR...soundtrack?

Nope, the OCR.

The movie did not come out until 1979.

Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »

No wonder I couldn't find it in the record racks....I was looking in Cast Albums.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2009, 08:31:54 AM »

I do not plan to watch THE TAKING OF PELHAM  1 2 3.....didn't like it the FIRST time around.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2009, 08:32:39 AM »

DR JOSE - I think DR DtM was commenting on how it was listed in Rolling Stone......

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2009, 08:36:33 AM »

DR JOSE - I think DR DtM was commenting on how it was listed in Rolling Stone......

Ah. I was thinking that might have been the case, but just in case...

-I never pass up a chance to do a bit of image-linking. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2009, 08:48:22 AM »

I never pass up a chance to do a bit of image-linking.

Me, too.     :)

Ben

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »

Ginny, it's a good thing we set a date for Tuesday. The next day, July 1st I am doing yet another presentation. This time for

The Starr Foundation

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2009, 09:04:56 AM »

I've decided to put Niki Scalera on the Nudie demo - she sings the songs wonderfully and she's much more what I want vocally.  Grant is out of town until Wednesday, but when he gets back it's pretty easy to make the change, plus we'll add her into the Let 'Em Eat Cake song as we have in the script.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:44 AM »

TOD:  I'm pretty sure my first card games were "Old Maid" and "Go Fish".  I soon learned to play "War"....and there were a few stabs at "Rook" with cousins who loved the game but had no interest in making sure I learned it well enough to be competitive with them.

In college, I learned to play "Canasta" and really enjoyed it a lot.  In the late 1970s, as an instructor at the DoD Defense Information School at Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN, I started learning how to play "Pinochle" when I was living in the barracks there.  This was before I found an apartment.  In my workplace, I began "kibbitzing" a lunch-hour "Bridge" game several instructors and staff  would play each day.   

They were gracious enough to allow me to ask questions.  One gave me a crib sheet about bidding and what it all means.  Another loaned me a book on how to play.  I'd get "asides" on how to determine who held what cards based upon the bidding....and then I was off and running and "filling in" whenever one of them could not play.   I later played "Bridge" on the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) in the Chief's Mess and had a great time.  I also played every time I visited my folks in Virginia (when they lived there before moving to South Carolina).  All the Pulliam family will drop everything for a few sets of "Bridge".  They'll drive 50 miles to do it, too!

Up until three years ago, I played "Bridge" at least two or three times when I was home at Christmas.  It takes four, however, to play "Bridge"...and many folks either go away for the holidays or have too many other things going on to take the time.  And, sadly, many folks I've played with in the past have either aged too much or have died, or they have moved away from my mother's small town of Johnston.

Ah, me.....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:12:56 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2009, 09:27:04 AM »

Tonight we are blocking the opening scene in MAN OF LA MANCHA, I hope everyone comes to rehearsal with pencils and listening ears.

DAW

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »

listening ears

The best kind!!!     :D      But, alas, all too rarely encountered these days.        :-\

Ben

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2009, 09:57:03 AM »

Ginny, it's a good thing we set a date for Tuesday. The next day, July 1st I am doing yet another presentation. This time for

The Starr Foundation

And now, Ginny, I will have to keep you posted!!! I got back from lunch to find an e-mail asking if I'm available for a presentation on EITHER Tuesday, June 30 or Thursday, July 2. If it's Tuesday I should still be able to make lunch if it's early because the presentation won't be until 2pm. As I said, I'll keep you posted.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2009, 10:01:53 AM »

Ain't it the truth, DR DAW...ain't it the truth!

My dvd copy of GOD'S LITTLE ACRE arrived today, I will also watch it this evening....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »

I think the actual HAIR revival recording is released tomorrow.  I wish it had more interesting cover art.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »

Ah. I was thinking that might have been the case, but just in case...

-I never pass up a chance to do a bit of image-linking. ;)

At first I read that as "image-licking", but then that's how my mind works...
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »

TRIVIA QUESTION OF WHICH I HAVE NO ANSWER:

Was HAIR the last time a cast recording topped the album charts?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »

Prolly - until THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL cd is released next year.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »

Prolly - until THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL cd is released next year.

For the booklet alone!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2009, 10:39:36 AM »

I am sitting here with my eyes bugging out of my head because I just read DR Vixmom's description of her PEG removal procedure.  Oy!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »

After her warning, I skipped that post!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2009, 10:48:36 AM »

DR Jose--no BROADWAY BARES for you this year?  What gives?  I was looking forward to Monkey's perspective on the festivities.

I would also like to have my eyes bugging out of my head under different circumstances.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up