Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SURREAL DAY  (Read 16764 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE SURREAL DAY
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2009, 03:48:44 PM »

BK, that one film you watched last night, THE DINNER GAME, was that a German film or Italian?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2009, 03:54:08 PM »

The Dinner Game is French.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2009, 03:55:04 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely lunch, entered corrections into the latest novel, picked up some packages, and am now doing some catch up work on the computer whilst listening to CDs.  And I'm waiting for a telephonic call that had best come very soon.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »

T.O.D.

CD -  Barbra Streisand DUETS
        THE LAST STARFIGHTER
        THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X
        The cover only of GOD'S LITTLE ACRE

DVDs -  THE BARBRA STREISAND CONCERT DVD
            THE CLOSER, Season 1, Disk 1
            ON THE OTHER HAND, DEATH
            Some of Uncle Larry's Home Movies
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »

A watched phone never rings.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »

Tell me about it.  The caller, however, will RUE the day if the caller doesn't make the call sooner than later.

DAW

« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2009, 04:13:06 PM »

I hate it when I have to RUE the day.        :)

DAW

« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »

But rougeing the day - well, that's a different matter altogether.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »

Getting the call vibes for MR BK....yes it is most distressing to have to rue the day.....as opposed to rousching the day.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2009, 04:25:40 PM »

This headline in the Arizona Republic confuses me:

"Two lost icons: For Generation X, a really bad day"

Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett were Generation X?

Farrah was a Baby Boomer. 

Jose I forgot to check if her special was on last night.  We watched an incredible old film with Michael Redgrave, THE BROWNING VERSION.  The DVD included an interview with Redgrave & a very interesting, intelligent commentary by Mike Figgis, the director of the remake with Albert Finney.

Michael Jackson is a Baby Boomer too.  I'm about the end of it and he was 2 years older than I am

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »

I had never heard of "Generation Jones" before I looked up "Baby Boomer" on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones

I had not thought of those years as part of the Boomer ones.  I don't remember them having a name.  I did read recently that we are currently in another Boomer period.

I was born in 1961 and have always been told we are partof the baby boomers.

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »

http://geography.about.com/od/populationgeography/a/babyboom.htm

Young males returning to the United States, Canada, and Australia following tours of duty overseas during World War II began families, which brought about a significant number of new children into the world. This dramatic increase in the number of births from 1946 to 1964 (1947 to 1966 in Canada and 1946-1961 in Australia) is called the Baby Boom.

In the United States, approximately 79 million babies were born during the Baby Boom. Much of this cohort of nineteen years (1946-1964) grew up with Woodstock, the Vietnam War, and John F. Kennedy as president.

In 2006, the oldest Baby Boomers are turning 60 years old, including the first two Baby Boomer presidents, Presidents William J. Clinton and George W. Bush, both born in the first year of the Baby Boom, 1946.

In the 1930s to early 1940s, new births in the United States averaged around 2.3 to 2.8 million each year. In 1945, the number was 2.8 million births; it marked the beginning of the Baby Boom. In 1946, the first year of the Baby Boom, new births in the U.S. skyrocketed to 3.47 million births!

New births continued to grow throughout the 1940s and 1950s, leading to a peak in the late 1950s with 4.3 million births in 1957 and 1961. (There was a dip to 4.2 million births in 1958) By the mid-sixties, the birth rate began to slowly fall. In 1964 (the final year of the Baby Boom), 4 million babies were born in the U.S. and in 1965, there was a significant drop to 3.76 million births. From 1965 on, there was a plunge in the number of births to a low of 3.14 million births in 1973, lower than any year’s births since 1945!

François

« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2009, 04:43:27 PM »

And, because it's been awhile...here's how Toby is looking now!

Wow!  Toby sure made short work of that monkey!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

François

« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2009, 04:55:08 PM »

BK, that one film you watched last night, THE DINNER GAME, was that a German film or Italian?

FRENCH!

Original title is Le Dîner De Cons, which, originally, was a succesful play.

François

« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »

I have it from serious sources (Writer Brian Sibley) that Dame Andrews is at work on her second volume of her Memoires.

I guess Volume One was successful!

Yeah!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »

Also from yesterday:
Certainly a day filled with sadness.  Almost forgotten in the double deaths today are the early morning photos of an extremely anorexic Courtney Love looking close to death, herself.  Following that the inevitable announcement of the death of Farrah Fawcett.  But then, even before we can start to mourn for Farrah, her story is all but kicked-off the front page by the unexpected death of Michael Jackson.

I remember when Princess Diana died...and then about a week later, Mother Teresa died.  All the news was still about Princess Diana. :-\

Did Mother Teresa ever hire a publicist?

Just askin'.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »

"I wonder if he'd accept some basic tips on how to apply eyeliner."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:24:49 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »

I was watching the Judi Dench BBC series AS TIME GOES BY, and I kept wondering who the wonderful character actress was playing the talkative secretary Mrs Flack: Vivienne Martin! She played the Queen when JUBILEE was performed for the BBC in 1998. She's so wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2009, 05:44:12 PM »

So, the repairman has just installed the part that took three months to arrive. He is working on the back of the machine, just finishing up, and I hear, "Uh oh."

He broke a sensor.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

FJL

« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »

Oy!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

I was born in 1958.

I was born in a hospital.

I have a birth certificate now, which says so.

Or, at least it says that someone with the same name as mine was born in a hospital on a certain date, to two identified people.  No pictures are included, so I don't know how anyone could positively say that the person referred to on the birth certificate is myself.

But, with said piece of paper I can now go to the Delaware DMV and proceed to get a drivers licence.

Doesn't this make everyone feel secure?

Won't you all feel more secure if I keep my driving to Delaware?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:52:46 PM by S. Woody White »

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2009, 05:47:23 PM »

We are watching Amazing Grace, the 2006 movie about William Wilberforce.  I love Albert Finney.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »

Thanks Ginny.  I just added to our NetFlix queue.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »

"I wonder if he'd accept some basic tips on how to apply eyeliner."

Who cares about his eyeliner.  He is a hottie!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »

I was watching the Judi Dench BBC series AS TIME GOES BY, and I kept wondering who the wonderful character actress was playing the talkative secretary Mrs Flack: Vivienne Martin! She played the Queen when JUBILEE was performed for the BBC in 1998. She's so wonderful.

I loved this show.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2009, 06:14:16 PM »

Boring soap opera line:

"Brenda, you can't marry Jack!  He's--he's--he's your third cousin, once removed!"

Trust me, I've met both Brenda and Jack, and their case intermarriage isn't going to cause that gene pool any more damage than is already there.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »

I just ate a Strawberry Pop-Tart and I have to say that I do not like Pop-Tarts.

Is it just me, or is the very name "Pop-Tart" something of an oxymoron?

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »

Thanks Ginny.  I just added to our NetFlix queue.

Starts a little slow, but it picks up a bit.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2009, 06:19:44 PM »

Ohio's Gov. Strickland tells public libraries to, effectively, drop dead:

Governor's Statement on Public Libraries

The governor of California is saying the same to animals in shelters:

"Governor Schwarzenegger will greatly increase the number of pets euthanized (soft word for killed) in California. His proposal mandates the ‘hold’ time of pets in state animal shelters to be cut to only a three day wait time. That is half the current standard of waiting at least six days to allow owners time to check shelters for their bellowed family pets.
"

http://www.examiner.com/x-7997-San-Jose-Dogs-Examiner~y2009m6d25-Schwarzenegger-to-tell-state-animal-shelters-Terminate

Sorry to tell you this, Jane, but at many shelters the three-day limit was already in place before der B and I left California.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »

That is sad to hear. 

Good luck with your driving test!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up