Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IDES OF MARCH  (Read 41671 times)

Emily

Re:THE IDES OF MARCH
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2004, 01:07:21 PM »

I just finished eating a ham and swiss cheese sandwich on challah.

It was delicious and decidely heretical (in a non-Kosher way)

yummmmmmmmmmm

BK, one of these days we must have a topic du jour about sandwiches... argalagrahaglagaha
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »

fourth page dance

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o[/move]
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2004, 01:10:18 PM »

I'm afraid I don't care much for TOPAZ. There are some good set pieces (the surprise execution of someone is beautifully filmed), but it always seems a muddle to me every time I watch it. I do recommend the DVD, however, as along with the full cut and the alternate endings, there's a decent documentary on the DVD and the enhanced for widescreen encoding makes the film look great.

Here we go again with the Phyllis Gates stuff. She can cry poor innocent me all she wants, but I'll NEVER believe she didn't know what she was doing with her quickie engagement and marriage to Rock Hudson.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2004, 01:16:25 PM »

On the other hand, you're in your 70s, you've no one to contradict you, there's interest in your story and there is MONEY to be made.

What does she care if "thinking" people come to the conclusion that if her story were true, it would make her one of the stupidest people who ever walked the face of the earth?

She's the only person who was ever married to Rock Hudson.

Not even 60s' Hudson beard Marilyn Maxwell ever got that close.

Speaking of Maxwell, has anyone ever read any comments by her about her "association" with Hudson during the 60s?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 01:20:35 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2004, 01:19:56 PM »

Stuart what is your puppy’s name and please post a picture.

DR Jane, her name is Morgan.  Officially, Morgan LeFay Brittany Fairchild.  (And only because my Dear Partner vetoed my original name choice:  Agnes Pooch.)

She is a lab/shepherd mix.  And is the cutest thing on earth, except when she eats reading glasses.  Unfortunately, I am not sure if I have a photo to post.  If I do, it would be from eons ago, simply eons.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2004, 01:21:53 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good vibes to DR CHARLES POGUE[/move]

Johnny Mercer  ;D

They have all been mentioned but:

Lil Abner Score
Accen-chu-ate the Positive
Moon River  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2004, 01:22:28 PM »

I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers, but I'll stick my nose in anyway,and request that we all PLEASE cease and desist debating gun control in this forum.

It could be incredibly hurtful to some of our readers who have so very recently suffered a traumatic loss to come here and read some of the comments that are being made.   Please, let's just offer them our sympathy and good wishes and leave it at that.

GOOD VIBES to DR Charles Pogue.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2004, 01:25:34 PM »

Lulu is right and that's what I was trying to get at in my ealier post, without coming right out and saying it.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2004, 01:25:56 PM »

Stuart, baby pictures of Morgan will work.  

Echo, our Bernese Mountain Dog, ate money when she was a puppy.  Fortunately I was able to paste enough of the pieces together & take it to the bank for brand new money.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2004, 01:43:01 PM »

While we're being a bit more sensitive, I'll admit right now that I think it's possible that, as some point, Phyllis Gates believed Rock Hudson loved her and married her for that reason.

I have trouble believing she never knew or figured it out during the course of her marriage, but that's not important. (Of course, she's the secretary to a man who's trying to keep the truth about his client out of the press...why on earth would his secretary have any access to that????).

I've found a Larry King show transcript of a Tribute to Rock Hudson with Tony Randall, Gina Lollabrigida, Dale Olsen (Hudson publicist), Elaine Stritch, Liz Smith and Diane Ladd:

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0310/01/lkl.00.html

Interesting bit of news from Mr. Olsen...that Rock and Phyllis remained married for SIX YEARS!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 01:46:31 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Emily

« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2004, 01:53:40 PM »

I should have taken our discussion off-board to e-mail and I apologise to everyone.

The most important thing is that Swishy and Laura have lost someone from their community.  No matter how it happened or what the political implications one can see in it, someone is going to go to bed tonight without their son, brother, family member or friend.  That is a tragedy and I should have not turned this into a debate.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2004, 02:08:54 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0310/01/lkl.00.html

I don’t have time to read all of it, but the Diane Ladd story is very touching.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2004, 02:22:30 PM »

There's a very funny song called Bruce.  It's about cross-dressing.  Wish I had more details, but that's it.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2004, 02:31:27 PM »

Blossom Dearie?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2004, 02:36:54 PM »

In addition to the entire song score of LI'L ABNER, my favorite Johhny Mercer songs are:

Moon River
Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive
That Old Black Magic
On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe
Days of Wine and Roses
Whistling Away the Dark
Come Rain or Come Shine
Talk to Me Baby
Autumn Leaves
When October Goes
Hit the Road to Dreamland
P.S. I Love You

Perhaps some noted person on these boards can point me in the right direction to finding the bridge (the one about King Solomon) for Hit the Road to Dreamland.

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't state that my favorite Johnny Mercer album is Nancy LaMott's Come Rain or Come Shine.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2004, 02:42:49 PM »

Democrat Gov. learns from Republican Attorney General:

From FNC

West Virginia Governor Blasts T-Shirt
Tuesday, March 23, 2004

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Gov. Bob Wise sent a letter to Abercrombie & Fitch on Monday demanding that the clothing retailer stop selling a T-shirt that spoofs the state with the slogan, "It's All Relative in West Virginia."

Wise said the T-shirt depicts "an unfounded, negative stereotype" of the state.

Gee!  This is the same governor who LIKED the movie WRONG TURN!  A movie in which the characters COULD have been wearing said T-shirts!  For a movie about West Virginia inbreeders, its ironic that it was filmed in CANADA!  I guess we really can BLAME CANADA!

td

• td
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2004, 02:48:25 PM »

MERCER!
and a lesser known song--Two of a Kind

not that lesser known to Bobby Darin fans. . . . ;)

td

• td
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2004, 03:02:34 PM »

. . .and has ANYONE mentioned "Blues in the Night?"  
(I've perused and perused, but don't think that I saw it.)
Count me in as an "Emily" fan, too.

My second favorite Johnny Mercer album would be the Painted Smiles recording, MOSTLY MERCER; the album which introduced Nancy LaMott to the listening public.

This various-artists collection of specially recorded songs in small-band arrangements does not pretend to feature Johnny Mercer's best or best-known songs, instead combining the well-known ("You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby," "Blues in the Night") with many interesting obscurities. Nor, as the title indicates, is the album given over entirely to Mercer. There are two ringers, both debut recordings: "Ask Me Again," a George and Ira Gershwin song discovered by Michael Feinstein, who accompanies Rosemary Clooney in performing it; and "Time You Old Gypsy Man," lyricist E.Y. Harburg's final song. Other performers include Eydie Gormé, Jennifer Holliday, and Anita O'Day. Highlights include "I Wonder What Became of Me," afrom the musical St. Louis Woman, by Henrietta Valor; "Out of This World," by Judy Garland imitator Jim Bailey; and the comic "I Fought Every Step of the Way," aby Laura Kenyon, Armelia McQueen, and Mary Gordon Murray. — William Ruhlmann

1.    I'm Old Fashioned  performed by Rosemary Clooney
2.    My Mama Thinks I'm a Star  performed by Kaye Ballard
3.    I Remember You  performed by Eydie Gorme
4.    It Had Better Be Tonight  performed by Fran Jeffries
5.    I Wonder What Became of Me  performed by Henrietta Valor   6.    My Shining Hour  performed by Mimi Hines
7.    Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing in a Hurry  performed by Marilyn Cooper  
8.    You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby performed by Nancy LaMott
9.    Blues in the Night  performed by Jennifer Holliday
10.    Ask Me Again  performed by Rosemary Clooney
11.    Hooray for Hollywood  performed by Anita ODay  
12.    Out of This World  performed by Jim Bailey
13.    Time, You Old Gypsy Man  performed by Kaye Ballard
14.    I Fought Every Step of the Way  performed by Laura Kenyon, Amelia McQueen and Mary Gordon Murray.
15.    Midnight Sun  performed by Sara Riva Krieger
16.    How Little We Know  performed by Mark Sendroff

Michael

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2004, 03:14:07 PM »

Thanks for your response, BK.  It's good to know somebody likes it, as it is generally considered to be lesser Hitch.  Especially since it's nearly 2 and a half hours long, I'd like to think that we'll be enjoying ourselves for that long while we watch it.

This is the "supersized" version, so we made out well on that score.  I'm sure the DVD version is superior, and I'd been considering getting the DVD instead, but since I've never seen it and, like I say, it's not generally well-regarded, I figured we'd just see the (free) library VHS instead.  If we enjoy it, we might wind up with the DVD eventually.

And it also two (or is it three) alternate endings
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2004, 03:25:43 PM »

I would also like to mention a wonderful album of Mercer songs that was recorded live at the Cinegrill by the wonderful and talented Mr. Lee Lessack.

Some of the rarer songs where:

Pineapple Pete, The Bathtub Ran Over Again, The Air-Minded Executive and Whatcha-Ma-Call-It.

Here is a list of the songs

1. My Shining Hour
  2. Too Marvelous For Words / Day In - Day Out / That Old Black Magic
  3. Dream / Laura
  4. The Air-Minded Executive
  5. I Thought About You
  6. The Travel Medley: Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home / On The Atchison, Topeka And The Santa Fe / Jeepers Creepers / Glow Worm / Lazy Bones / I'm An Old Cowhand / Come Rain Or Come Shine / Blues In The Night
 7. Days Of Wine And Roses / Charade / Moon River
 8. I Wanna Be Around
  9. I Remember You / Skylark
  10. Whatcha-Ma-Call-It
  11. When October Goes
 12. Pineapple Pete
  13. The Bathtub Ran Over Again
  14. Whistling Away The Dark/ Autumn Leaves
  15. Out Of This World

Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2004, 03:26:16 PM »

I'll post rather than just read - but have nothing much to say -- and here it is.

Panni

« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2004, 03:32:33 PM »

Actually - I do have something to ask. For the dog people among you. Abie the wonderdog is behaving strangely.  He's playful and  seems healthy... BUT -- here is a dog who from the time he was a pup has eaten every bit of his food the moment I put it down in front of him. Suddenly - for the past three of four days - I put down the food and he won't eat. Eventually, with much coaxing from me, he eats it. But that's so unlike him. I've always fed him an excellent brand of dry kibble (Flint River). I've bought some canned food and will try adding just a bit to his evening meal tonight to see if that works. But it may not - he hates change. Any ideas on what might be going on? (He's only a year and a half.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 03:33:58 PM by Panni »

Laura II

« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2004, 03:33:26 PM »

To all of you dear readers:

Thank you so very much for your sympathy. News has trickled in from different sources. While it turns out that the boy was actually a freshman (and not a sophomore like Sarah and my bro are), does that really even matter? No. I never expected anything like this to happen in our community, whether it was accidental or not. My brother said most kids at school today were fine. They received a little bit of information (i.e. drugs were involved), and a crisis team was supposed to be there.

Btw, DerBrucer, thank you for posting that article. I read it in the Washington Post earlier. It was almost surreal to read it and think about how I know Mrs. Heanue, who's mentioned in it, and how Bruceton Mills is about 10 minutes from my house. I think the hardest part was seeing a reporter in front of my old school on the news today. I know the press is allowed to come investigate for news stories, but I think that they should have respect and not bother the students and faculty who are trying to cope with this loss.

One last thing:
A few years ago, when I was a sophomore, I believe, a boy from Broad Run was shot and killed on a path at night. Rumors circulated until police caught the killer up in PA. If I remember correctly, he was caught after he killed someone else in PA, and then he killed himself. That horrible incident differed in the sense that the killer was not found for a few weeks, and it was totally random. In this case, the boy who shot Nick is in custody, and hopefully things will get back to normal (whatever that is) soon. My heart goes out to all of the families and people involved, and I thank you for your support, thoughts, prayers, and vibes.

Sorry I have been the bearer of bad news twice in a row. :(
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Danise

« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2004, 03:33:49 PM »

Good evening all.

Most of my favorite Johnny Mercer songs have already been mentioned so I'll just repeat 2. You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby and Autumn Leaves.

Best vibes to DR Charles Pogue.  Hope all goes well.

I'm very sorry to hear about the shooting.  Such a senseless loss.  I don't like guns.   Never have, never will.  I even get a little scared when I'm in a store or out someplace and there is a police officer with his gun.  I know they have to carry one but I don't want anywhere near it.

I really don't need any vibes or anything but I can’t let the day go by without mentioning that today is the 25th anniversary of the death of the most important man in my life, my Father, Charles who I was named for by way of his stage name, “Danny Blaine”.  There are so many things I wish I tell him now that I’m older.

DR Jane, our dogs are very much alike.  When Bear was a puppy, I was counting some savings bonds and dropped a few.  Quick as a flash, Bear chewed up about a hundred and fifty dollars worth before I could get them away from him.  I took what was left to the bank and the lady was very helpful but said it sure put a different spin on “My dog ate my homework”.
 :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2004, 03:38:13 PM »

Shame on Michael Shayne.  As keeper of the BK website (www.brucekimmel.com) he should have been the first to read Kritzer Time and post his review.  Shame, I say.  Skammen.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2004, 03:41:06 PM »

. . .and has ANYONE mentioned "Blues in the Night?"

I did.  This morning!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2004, 03:46:10 PM »

Danise - You don't want vibes, so I won't send you any, other than my good wishes, but I found what you said about your father very touching. There is a Jewish custom - a Yahrzeit candle - a candle that burns for 24 hours, lit on the aniversary of the death of a loved one. I usually don't do the full 24 hours because even though the special candles are supposed to be quite safe, I don't like to leave a burning candle when I'm not in the house. My point is, that looking at a "live" burning flame is somehow for me a very comforting way to feel the presence of a loved one long gone.
I don't want to be presumptuous, but I will be... Perhaps you could light a candle tonight - and, as you watch the flame flickering and dancing, tell your father those things you mentioned that you would lke to say now that you're older.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2004, 03:47:08 PM »

I started reading Kritzerland yesterday and am enjoying it very, very much! Now I am understanding all of this Leslie Parrish stuff! LOL!

I am reading during my afternoon break and whilst I use the cardio at the gym.

Danise

« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2004, 03:48:52 PM »

Thanks, Panni.  Perhaps I'll do just that.   :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2004, 03:50:06 PM »

Good afternoon.  
Funny story about work today.  Tonight I have a jazz choir gig, and I have to go straight from work to call, so I came to work dressed in what we wear, which is jeans and our matching t-shirts.  Yes, not the brightest idea.  Quinn grabbed me with his chocolatey hands, and instantly my clothes are smeary and dirty.  There was nothign to do but put them in the wash.  I rooted around in my trunk and found some leftover costume peices from Pirates that I'd made...enough to cover me semi-decently while the clothes washed.  Riley took one look at me dressed in an oversized black vest with fringe, red and white striped tights, and a huge shirt, and just about died laughing.  I admit I looked pretty silly, but desperate times...

I finally downloaded AIM on to this computer...AIM express was being a royal pain in the patoot.  They use AOL for their internet and I hate, loathe, and despise it.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up