Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST OF JUNE  (Read 19921 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LAST OF JUNE
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes bid a fond farewell to June, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently welcoming in MOOly, the cow version of July.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE LAST OF JUNE
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:39:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: OENOPHILE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:03:30 AM »

BK, nice to know that you had a non-annoying day, yesterday.  Mine was fairly non-annoying...except for when I went to leave my house.  I was woken up at about 7:40 by my doorbell.  I ran down the two flights of stairs (while getting dressed along the way) and the person at the door asked if the red car parked next to the garage was mine.  It wasn't.  He then told me that they would start to tear down all the cedar shingles and then start to put up the new roof.  Great!  I went back inside, tried to calm down my cat who was very scared of all the noise, took a shower, got dressed and opened my front door to this:

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:03:46 AM »

and this:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:05:23 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:05:30 AM »

It's blurry, but this, to the left:

George

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »

:o HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO (safely) CLIMB OVER ALL THAT TO GET OUT OF MY HOUSE??

George

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:07:42 AM »

Well, it turns out that the plywood in that last picture was there so that people (me, included) could carefully walk under it and be protected from the roofing material and be able to leave the area.  Whew!  Fortunately, I had the foresight to park in the back parking section and not be in the way of the roofing trucks. :)

George

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »

After that, I went to work. 

George

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 01:29:10 AM »

The next few weeks at work will be in flux. :-\ The woman who unpacks EVERYTHING that the library purchases for the patrons (books, CDs, DVDs, talking books, etc.....) has been out on medical leave for the last couple of weeks.  She finally came back today but she can't lift anything more than 10 pounds because she might have torn her rotater cuff.  She's going for an MRI soon (I don't know how soon, though) and if it requires surgery, she'll be out even longer.  The real problem is that the library system is having financial issues (like so many other organizations) and one suggestion to reduce spending money (that was instigated) was to no longer use substitutes for anything but emergencies.  This isn't considered an "emergency."  So, I spent most of the day unpacking boxes of new items so that my coworker won't have to.  My supervisor and I will be doing all the unpacking (no one else in our department really can), so that's what I'll be doing for the next...however long it is that I'll be doing it.  I don't really mind because I actually used to do that job (starting back in 1985, though).  I just haven't done it in such a long time that I don't have any kind of regular work process.  I'm not too efficient, yet. 

George

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 01:31:28 AM »

And now, I'm going to bed.  I have no idea when the roofers will start again...nor do I know when they'll actually swap out the skylight.  If I'm still in bed (asleep) when they take off the old skylight... :o

;)

DAW

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:03:17 AM »

My gosh, DR George....      :o

Stay safe!!!!

DAW

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 03:03:57 AM »

Yes.  bk's new novel is a keeper!!            :)

FJL

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 03:44:37 AM »

Many strength, patience and safety vibes to dear DR George

FJL

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »

Favorite disco songs:
Turn the Beat Around
This Time I Know It's for Real
Don't You Want Me
Gloria

Favorite disco cover of a non-disco song:
I Don't Want to Talk About It (The Last time Should Have Been The Last time)

Ben

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 04:23:39 AM »

I will miss the Thursday get together. I would love to see you all but I also will love being on Long Island from Thursday afternoon until Sunday evening not thinking about the office or getting up at 5am (I will still probably wake up around 6 or 6:30 due to my internal alarm clock).

I will think of you all as you eat Skip's amazing food and see Julie White (I LOVE Julie White) and Raul and Anne and Jay O. Sanders (he's in 12th Night, correct?). I really liked him in the Off-Broadway Lone Star Love (even though former DR Noel dislikes the show).

Anyway, I need to go over the OSI Presentation for this afternoon.

Maybe I'll see you in passing Ginny if you get here to exchange your book.

Bye for now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 05:12:11 AM »

All hell broke loose this morning: the check from a local bank that I deposited on Friday hasn't cleared yet, thanks to the asses at Sovereign Bank, my health insurance payment, which I mailed on Friday and usually takes a week to land was paid yesterday. Timing isclearly everything.  The bastards that run the bank  charged me $350 for ten overdrafts this morning and I am $640 in the hole.

So, I may be doing nothing the remainder of the week but sitting at my desk finishing up as much work as I can to dig myself of the hole that will only get larger. I am neither amused nor happy about the goddam idiots who run this bank. The fact that $660 was sitting in my account and they've taken most of it for themselves really irritates me. A lot.

Color me both pissed and very unhappy today.

Now I have to go do my free job: the McGlinnventory.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:14:19 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:39:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: OENOPHILE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 06:04:41 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Richard and I will make our box office rounds today to bring the rest of our week into focus, to go the NYPL to see the Declaration of Independence, and to DR Ben's workplace to show them my waterlogged publication and try to get a replacement.  We may explore some of the Union Square area before coming back to freshen up for Blithe Spirit.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 06:10:11 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Richard and I will make our box office rounds today to bring the rest of our week into focus, to go the NYPL to see the Declaration of Independence, and to DR Ben's workplace to show them my waterlogged publication and try to get a replacement.  We may explore some of the Union Square area before coming back to freshen up for Blithe Spirit.

Ginny, if they don't give you a replacement let me know and I'll see if I can "find" a copy that doesn't belong to anyone.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »

Thanks, DR Ben!  I know I could just print the PDF from the website, but it's the principle of the thing.  I waited until it was available, in May, with free shipping and look what happened.  Lesson learned:  never order anything just before you leave on a trip, unless it's coming via US mail, which is being held at the PO.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 07:09:37 AM »

All hell broke loose this morning: the check from a local bank that I deposited on Friday hasn't cleared yet, thanks to the asses at Sovereign Bank, my health insurance payment, which I mailed on Friday and usually takes a week to land was paid yesterday. Timing isclearly everything.  The bastards that run the bank  charged me $350 for ten overdrafts this morning and I am $640 in the hole.

So, I may be doing nothing the remainder of the week but sitting at my desk finishing up as much work as I can to dig myself of the hole that will only get larger. I am neither amused nor happy about the goddam idiots who run this bank. The fact that $660 was sitting in my account and they've taken most of it for themselves really irritates me. A lot.

Color me both pissed and very unhappy today.

Now I have to go do my free job: the McGlinnventory.

Dammit, DR Elmore--that sux!  Any point in calling the bank and trying to get some of that overdraft charged reduced?  Call and state your case to the rep and if that doesnt work, ask to speak with a supervisor--jsut make a pest of yourself--that sometimes works.  Don't get angry but talk very slowly and try to keep the phone call taking as much time as possible--they might do something jsut to get rid of you.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 07:11:34 AM »

DR ELMORE this is shocking and horrible!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »

Yes, DRJOSE I would like an impression of Mr Esparza's face, thank you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »

Such lovely photos and chat on HHW yesterday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 07:23:55 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »

OMG....watching that video - I finally got those lyrics after 30 years of NOT knowing what they were singing:

My sweet feet
Can't stop the beat!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 07:31:52 AM »

Good morning!

Somewhat cooler this morning and it isn't supposed to crack into the 90s today, the first time in about a week if that is actually the truth. I could have opened the house up since it was cooler outside when I got up than inside, but I didn't. The house is low in humidity, and I didn't want the A/C to have to work overtime later purging the air and carpets of moisture.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 07:32:02 AM »

TOD:

When disco first reigned, I couldn't stand it, couldn't bare listening to it.  But over the years I've grown fond of some of it.  Some favs:

On The Radio -- Donna Summer
Take Me Home -- Cher
Dancing Queen -- Abba
Call Me -- Blondie
Lady Marmalade -- Patti Labelle

It's not from the era, but I also like

I Just Wanna F*ckin' Dance -- JERRY SPRINGER, THE OPERA

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 07:32:50 AM »

But that's KULTURE, DR DtM!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »

Here is the answer....what is the question:

Dr. Liviingston I presume.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up