Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: JUNEBUGS IN JULY  (Read 22723 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: JUNEBUGS IN JULY
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

TOD:

And, of course, "The Little Mermaid."

Laws, yes.

Ditto! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2009, 03:47:43 PM »

And "Finding Nemo"!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2009, 03:49:59 PM »

I'm off to be a speaker at the Sioux City Human Rights Commission's first "Coffee Talk" at Meet Virginia coffee shop.  Our topic is Immigration.  I have no idea how well attended this will be.  It's being organized by an Americorp volunteer.  She said she wants me to explain immigration law in 10 minutes, lol.  Yeah right.   It will be fun. I've done several presentations so I can make the points pretty quickly and leave the rest to the Q and A

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »

TOD:

The Sea Hawk

der Brucer

What a relief to see derBrucer posting.  I was really starting to worry.  I hope all is well with both of you.

Actually, I was beginning to wonder if Woody had ordered a copy of Mrs. Lovett's Cookbook!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »

I'm off to be a speaker at the Sioux City Human Rights Commission's first "Coffee Talk" at Meet Virginia coffee shop.  Our topic is Immigration.  I have no idea how well attended this will be.  It's being organized by an Americorp volunteer.  She said she wants me to explain immigration law in 10 minutes, lol.  Yeah right.   It will be fun. I've done several presentations so I can make the points pretty quickly and leave the rest to the Q and A

Immigration Law 101-- Sometimes we let 'em in; sometimes we don't.  Sometimes we're nice to 'em; sometimes we're not.  Sometimes we have really good people coming to the USA; sometimes we don't.
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2009, 04:07:33 PM »

George, are you renewing your season tickets to the 5th Avenue?

No.  I thought about it, but there weren't enough shows that I wanted to see. :-\ Were you thinking about it?

Yes, I was thinking about it.  I am interested in CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and I would love to see WHITE CHRISTMAS and SOUTH PACIFIC.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely lunch with dear reader Jeanne.  We went to Dolores - I will be writing about this extensively in the notes, but suffice it to say that my guess is that there are new owners and they changed everything that was classic about Dolores - it was shocking, annoying, and I shall never ever return and I've been going to one Dolores or another since the late 1950s.

George

« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »

Just ordered the new CD!

I finally had took the time to order it. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2009, 04:17:22 PM »

T.O.D.

JAWS (The movie)
JAWS II (The book)
TITANIC - The original with Clifton Webb
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (Book and film)

Come to think of it,
AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER
THE LAST VOYAGE
LIFEBOAT
ABANDON SHIP
RAISE THE TITANIC (The book and the film's theme song)

One of my top ten favorite books of all time is called SHIPKILLER.  It was announced, at one time as, "Soon to be a Major Motion Picture," but I am sure the Isralei government nixed that idea.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2009, 04:17:38 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely lunch with dear reader Jeanne.  We went to Dolores - I will be writing about this extensively in the notes, but suffice it to say that my guess is that there are new owners and they changed everything that was classic about Dolores - it was shocking, annoying, and I shall never ever return and I've been going to one Dolores or another since the late 1950s.

That's too bad, BK.  I've never heard of "Dolores," so I don't know what they have.

George

« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2009, 04:19:10 PM »

Topic of the Day:  in the mid-1990s, I read this novel about a ship of gay pirates (set in the 1700s or so) and their "adventures" ;) but I don't remember the name of it.
Could it have been:

FORTUNES OF WAR

Product Description:

In 1588 a young mercenary and the son of an English earl meet by a quirk of fate. Dermot Channon is a soldier, while Robin Armagh has been sheltered on his father's estate. Love blossoms fast while war looms on the horizon. Under the thundercloud of armed conflict, Channon leaves England and the Spanish Armada sails soon after. Robin despairs of seeing him again, for their countries are locked in an endless struggle. Years fly by, and in 1595, when Robin's brother is taken for ransom in Panama, the dangerous duty of delivering the price of his life and liberty falls to Robin. He sails with the historical '1595 Fleet,' commanded by Francis Drake, hoping to bring home his brother. But Fortune has other plans for Robin and Channon. Ahead of them is a an epic adventure in hazardous waters where old enmities, Spanish and English, shape their future together -- and try to drive them apart.

der Brucer

No...that's not it.  That looks to be a little too "literature"-y...high-brow...if you know what I'm sayin'. ;)

Think more of a tame book version of something that otherwise might not seem out of place in Larry's VCR. 8)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »

Topic of the Day:  in the mid-1990s, I read this novel about a ship of gay pirates (set in the 1700s or so) and their "adventures" ;) but I don't remember the name of it.
Could it have been:

FORTUNES OF WAR

Product Description:

In 1588 a young mercenary and the son of an English earl meet by a quirk of fate. Dermot Channon is a soldier, while Robin Armagh has been sheltered on his father's estate. Love blossoms fast while war looms on the horizon. Under the thundercloud of armed conflict, Channon leaves England and the Spanish Armada sails soon after. Robin despairs of seeing him again, for their countries are locked in an endless struggle. Years fly by, and in 1595, when Robin's brother is taken for ransom in Panama, the dangerous duty of delivering the price of his life and liberty falls to Robin. He sails with the historical '1595 Fleet,' commanded by Francis Drake, hoping to bring home his brother. But Fortune has other plans for Robin and Channon. Ahead of them is a an epic adventure in hazardous waters where old enmities, Spanish and English, shape their future together -- and try to drive them apart.

der Brucer

No...that's not it.  That looks to be a little too "literature"-y...high-brow...if you know what I'm sayin'. ;)

Think more of a tame book version of something that otherwise might not seem out of place in Larry's VCR. 8)

::) ::)  GEORGE!   ::) ::) 
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

I said a "tame" book version... :)

DAW

« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »

What a relief to see derBrucer posting.  I was really starting to worry.  I hope all is well with both of you.

Ditto!

DAW

« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »

I said a "tame" book version...

What's the point?          :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:31 PM »

I'm listening to some German cast album of Stop The World - very amusing, with its teeny-tiny band.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »

And "Finding Nemo"!!

Double-ditto!   :D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »

TOD:

"Boy on a Dolphin"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »

I said a "tame" book version...

What's the point?          :)

Well...that was in my younger days when I was less adventurous, less brave.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »

My goodness, they've dropped Littlechap's keys into the dungeon - why?  He just sang What Kind Of Fool Am I in Bb.  The highest it goes is a C, which isn't exactly a male singer's money note, and the lowest note is a whopping F below middle C.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »

I've spoken to the doctor and need to set another blood test for the week of July 16. I now know why I'm getting so many of them and it's nothing serious, thank God. It has to do with my idiot former doctor and a medication he prescribed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

That's good news, Elmore.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »

He had me on a med that may cause muscle damage and muscle cramps and she took me off the drug. Since then, my leg cramps and bad right shoulder, the reason I was in physical therapy last autumn, have gone away. the blood tests are checking the drug level in my system; she's trying to flush it out. I really like this lady a lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2009, 05:31:06 PM »

I hate being the 1 guest at the top of the page.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

DAW

« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »

DR elmore3003 - glad that you have sound medical advice and that you're now back on the right path.      Scary!        :P

Michael

« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »

I'm listening to some German cast album of Stop The World - very amusing, with its teeny-tiny band.

Here are three songs from Stop The World, I Want To Get Off": Gonna Build A Mountain, Once In A Lifetime, What Kind Of Fool Am I? sung by Tony Tanner in the film version 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo1T0jwxZMo
Never stop dreaming.

Sam

« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2009, 05:35:38 PM »

So I logged in to say hello.  Need to leave in a few minutes for and art opening within walking distance of where I live.   Not like New York, where all you have to do is open your door and be someplace fun.

I ordered the cd last night.

Later  ;D

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:37:17 PM by Sam »
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Michael

« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »

And here is  Sammy Stops the World (Stop the World I Want To Get Off 1979)

What Kind of Fool Am I?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdHAc_7ot5Y

Gonna Build A Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJ4w1J-4s0

Never stop dreaming.

Sam

« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2009, 05:38:06 PM »

Really good health vibes for elmore.

DAW

« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »

One of America's current top Tupperware salespersons is apparently a guy in drag.          :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up