Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE  (Read 36380 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2004, 07:58:53 PM »

A friend loaned me LOST IN TRANSLATION, and tonight I had 90 minutes to watch a movie, and it's a bit over that, so I opted for MAMBO ITALIANO instead. Cute independent gay film with an ending I didn't much care for, but definitely some funny moments and some poignant ones, too.

I think we never heard that big voice from Matt Rogers because he lived in fear of those damning words from the judges we've heard many times before: "You have a theatrical voice." He did everything he could to "pop" up his sound, and the fact is, he doesn't have a pop style voice. I think it was meant for bigger singing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2004, 07:59:19 PM »

Michael Shayne, don't forget to write your amazon and barnesandnoble.com review, and cut and paste it into the Kritzer Time thoughts thread on the Kritzer board here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2004, 08:04:13 PM »

Welcome 13 GUESTS.  Come in and join the party.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2004, 08:07:52 PM »

Welcome 15 GUESTS.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2004, 08:08:51 PM »

Time to go check on the tomatos I've been roasting, see if they're ready for a run in the blender to make sauce!  (See how exciting life can be in the country!?)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2004, 08:21:03 PM »

Thank you, td, I can feel 'em already and they iz potent.  

You are most welcome, sir!
It is in part due to all of the previous good vibes from the denizens and frequenters of this here website that my family has received most excellent health reports over the last two days!
1. Yesterday, I took my father to his primary care physician who enthused wildly about dad's current state of health:  clean lungs, excellent blood pressure, great pulse, everything in working order, shingles gone, weight maintained for four weeks (!) and reasonable sugar counts.  Needless to say, this is indeed happy news; made all the more happier by her comment that next week's visit to dad's oncologist should prove to be nothing to worry about at all!  (AND, she doesn't want a follow-up visit for two months!)
2.  Today, I went with my mother to her orthopedic surgeon's appointment - the first check-up since her bone immoblizer was removed - and he gave her a glowing report: the bones have indeed fused, quickly, and all systems are go!  She should continue to walk more than just from our living room to the bedroom, to walk as much as she can to further strengthen the muscles which could have atrophied.  The x-rays look phenomenal; he displayed the x-rays from September, December, January and today, the progress visible even to an untrained eye.  Her shoulder's torn rotator cuff will still be a bit of a burden, but he gave her a cortizone shot which will ease her flexibility for a while.  He gave her permission to wear her brace ONLY when walking, and like dad, told her she doesn't need a follow-up visit for two months!   (Of course, we will be seeing him on a social visit before then, when I prepare a great standing rib roast for him and his family in a few weeks - a token of our appreciation).

So, BK and DRs one and all, I happily accept the good vibes which have been posted previously,  and with great happiness spread
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]VIBES[/move]
right back at ya!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2004, 08:52:35 PM »

td, what good news! Thanks for sharing it with us. Good news is always a blessing.

Good vibes to all who need them! ~~~~~~~
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2004, 08:56:09 PM »

Vibes, vibes and xylophones all around.

I've been trying to watch a movie I TIVOd called Nightmare, but it's really really bad.  It IS based on a Cornell Woolrich story, whose work I love, so I'm trying to slog through it, but it's really inept.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2004, 09:10:55 PM »

td, that is terrific health news regarding both of your parents.  How wonderful to know that all of our combined Good Vibes can do so much good for others.  We had better not let the FDA hear about this, or we will not be allowed to dispense good vibes without a prescription.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2004, 09:25:57 PM »

Wussburgers of the world, unite!  Let's have a little late-night frenzy action.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2004, 09:28:05 PM »

td - Wonderful news about your parents!

td

• td
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2004, 09:34:52 PM »

td - Wonderful news about your parents!

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

td

• td
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2004, 09:35:28 PM »

Wussburgers of the world, unite!  Let's have a little late-night frenzy action.
I did a little frenzied post of at The DVD Place, too. . . .  ;)

Kerry

« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2004, 09:36:31 PM »

td-  at last-- some good news for you.  I'm very happy.

Most extravagant thing(s) I've bought for myself--   Various pieces of art.  Yes, I still have them (and will get more).  I can't help it.   And I don't regret it for a second!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 09:36:48 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2004, 09:57:49 PM »

td-  at last-- some good news for you.  I'm very happy.

Most extravagant thing(s) I've bought for myself--   Various pieces of art.  Yes, I still have them (and will get more).  I can't help it.   And I don't regret it for a second!

I tried buying a piece of Art once, but he was out of my price range.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2004, 09:59:17 PM »

Linkletter or Garfunkel?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2004, 10:05:27 PM »

As predicted - sugar high - now crash. I think I'll just be quiet for a bit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2004, 10:42:05 PM »

I think I'm going to have to declare that today was National Wussburger Day here at haineshisway.com.  We squeaked by but barely, baby, barely.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2004, 10:47:02 PM »

Linkletter or Garfunkel?
Knowing TCB, Carney!   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2004, 10:52:39 PM »

I added some white wine to the tomatoes and made a nice little puree, then put it over a burner to cook out the alcohol, plus a few grinds of pepper.  Not bad, for a tomato sauce starter, but it'll need garlic, onion, and some other seasoning.  Still, as an experiment things have turned out pretty good, and we should be able to get lots of tomatoes this summer, so I'll be able to make up lots of home-made sauce to be stored in the freezer.

I think of this as an early experiment leading to my making my own stock.  And who knows, can lobster bisque be far behind?  Yummers!

Panni

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2004, 11:29:15 PM »

Well, I'm back lest I be labeled a Wussburger - like that famous songwriting duo, Alan and Marilyn Wussburger.

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2004, 11:37:13 PM »

I am about to leave for a farewell party - my neigbours across the road. They are moving about 10 miles away - not a great distance in this rural area. Good, caring neighbours who have never been the "in your space" kind. We have known their kids all their lives - it will be strange to not have them collecting for various charities, fun runs, etc.
See you all tomorrow,
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2004, 11:37:39 PM »

That's GREAT news, Dear Reader TD!  May your parents' recuperations continue at an accelerated pace!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2004, 11:39:14 PM »

I am not (usually) a Wussburger.  As of this afternoon, my sister and I are pretty much finished with fixing up her old house (that I'm going to move into)!  All we have now to do is paint some baseboards and some wainscoting and it's done!  Now the hard part (as always):  cleaning and packing up my apartment.  :P  I hate that part.  Tomorrow morning, I'm taking a friend to the hospital to have her knee operated on (arthroscopically).  Someone else is picking her up, so I don't have to stay the whole time.  After that, I will come home and start to clean my apartment.  I MUST!!  (I also have most of the weekend to move.)  At least I don't have a lot of big items to move...my bed and love seat are the biggest and heaviest.  The rest aren't so bad.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2004, 11:42:30 PM »

I was at the L.A. Philharmonic this evening, Dear Readers.  Esa-Pekka Salonen conducted Shostakovich's 9th Symphony and Mahler's Des Knaben Wunderhorn (The Boy's Magic Horn), with baritone Matthias Goerne the vocal soloist.  I'd not heard Mr. Goerne before, and I was quite impressed.  He has a very resonant voice which at times reminded me of Dietrich Fisher-Dieskau.  His shading of the words in the songs was exquisite.

Jay

« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2004, 11:47:53 PM »

skeevy   adj   1. gross, creepy; ICKY, etc. Term was common in Brooklyn, NY, USA in the 1950s and 1960s. ("He's so skeevy.") [/i]

As one who grew up in Brooklyn, NY, USA during the aforementioned timeframe, I will validate that the term "skeevy" indeed was quite common.  We had a few other cherce words and phrases, too.

Jay

« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2004, 11:49:57 PM »

What's this?  No clever retort from Dear Reader TCB regarding "The Boy's Magic Horn?"

No "Here's one for Mahler" from our beloved BK?

What is this site coming to?

Panni

« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2004, 11:51:16 PM »

I got some lovely presents tonight. My landlady (in the Big House) came back from Mexico and brought me a pair of "Frida Kahlo earrings" - that's how they were sold she tells me - beautiful dangling silver earrings. She also brought me back a gorgeous handmade cloth purse. Very nice.

Panni

« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2004, 11:54:40 PM »

I'd not heard Mr. Goerne before, and I was quite impressed.  He has a very resonant voice which at times reminded me of Dietrich Fisher-Dieskau.  His shading of the words in the songs was exquisite.
I've never seen him in person, but in his photos he looks very un-opera singerish. More like the Roto-Rooter guy who comes over to unplug your drains.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2004, 11:57:27 PM »

And one for Mahler.  I live to please.  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up