Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE  (Read 36322 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2004, 10:22:49 AM »

A quick post. Must work for an hour, then getting my hair trimmed (bangs are so long I can hardly see). Need to look good - more to the point, FEEL that I look good - for a big pitch meeting tomorrow. Good vibes would be appreciated.
Speaking of which - FS Pogue - would you care to discuss how your first meeting with the director went? I can totally understand if you don't, but just in case, I'm all ears.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 10:24:21 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2004, 10:26:07 AM »

I just wrote "you're" instead of "your"... Must stop the whiskey with my cereal.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2004, 10:26:16 AM »

I'm all ears.

That explains the long hair ;D
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2004, 10:32:23 AM »

I wish I had extravagant purchases to mention.  I grew up with the thriftiest father known to man (as DR Jed, he'll confirm) so we didn't spend money on anything we didn't have to.  Until I was about 16 I'd probably eaten out a grant total of 10 times.  So I've inherited my dad's fear of spending, I'm afraid.  
However, when I finally get down to my goal weight, I fully intend to go on a very extravagant shopping spree for a new wardrobe :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2004, 10:44:21 AM »

MEMO

FM:     "Children of Eden" Accounting
To:      JOSE CARLOS SIMBULAN

SUBJ:  Invoice, supporting data for  

In all future invoices please include a detailed breakdown of all notes played.

Justification for "excessive" notes will be required. As
Emperor Joseph II might have said: Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect.

Sincerely

I. Cut Czechs

der Brucer - inspied by:

Orchestra Musicians Want to Tie Salaries to Notes Played

BERLIN (AP) — Violinists at a German orchestra are suing for a pay raise on the grounds that they play many more notes per concert than their colleagues do —litigation that the orchestra's director on Tuesday called "absurd."

The 16 violinists at the Beethoven Orchestra  in Bonn argue that they work more than their fellow musicians who play instruments like the flute, oboe and trombone, and also say a collective bargaining agreement that gives bonuses to soloists is unjust.
But Bonn orchestra director Laurentius Bonitz said it was unreasonable to compare playing a musical instrument with other jobs.

"The suit is ridiculous," Bonitz said. "It's absurd."

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2004, 10:58:10 AM »

My most extravagant purchase took place about two years ago, when I won an auction for Alexis Smith's Tony Award for Follies on eBay.  The seller only had the medallion--no base.  And the thought more than occurred to me that it might have been counterfit.  But in the end, I couldn't resist it.  It was too rare a piece of theatrical memorabilia to pass by.  And now I can actually call myself a Tony Award winner.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2004, 11:23:17 AM »

So I've inherited my dad's fear of spending, I'm afraid.

We must cure you of that immediately, DR Ann!
(I've just deleted a long ramble with far too much of my life story.)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2004, 11:35:42 AM »

Panni, 1st meeting went much better than anticipated, surprisingly painless, rather pleasant, though the rewirte will be more involved than I would have wished for.  As the guy who jumped off a twenty-story building said as he passed each floor, "So far, so good."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2004, 11:36:25 AM »

You'll notice I mispelled rewrite.  Do you think it's Freudian?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2004, 11:43:44 AM »

BK---
When you record LPs on CDs do you do it on a computer CD burner or a separate CD reader/writer?  We could not hook up our phonograph to the computer so we bought a CD reader/writer and picked out one with an analogue input for the turntable.  It doesn't seem to work and now we probably have to get a pre-amp as an in-between.  What kind of hook-up do you have?  Are you still using your Columbia Record Club Stereophonic Phonograph?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2004, 11:51:30 AM »

Joke the Second:

A man goes into a lawyer's office and says, "I heard people have sued the tobacco companies for giving them lung cancer, and McDonald s for making them fat."

The lawyer says, "Yes, that's true."The man says, "Well, I'm interested in suing too."

The lawyer says, "Okay, McDonald's , or the tobacco companies?"

The man says, "Neither. I'm suing Budweiser for all the ugly people I've slept with."

der Brucer (Here's to ugly people - I'll drink to that!)
Aw, c'mon, you haven't slept with anyone ugly in eightteen years!

On the other hand, this proves your memory is still good.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 12:21:10 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2004, 12:12:04 PM »

I record to a stand-alone CD burner.  I have two, one in the den, where I have my turntable, and one in the bedroom where I can do CD to CD.  I've still never used the computer burner but would like to figure all that out at some point.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2004, 12:20:26 PM »

Extravagant is in the eyes of the beholder, and the size of the wallet.

When I was just starting out on my own, working at the Alex Theater in Glendale as an "assistant manager" (back when it was still a movie theater and a dumpy mess), the thought of going to a theater to see live actors was absurd.  Rediculous.  Extravagant.  Of course, my parents had never been much on going to the theater; even going to see movies was a high-ticket item, as far as they were concerned.  (When I was able to get them into the theater for a re-release of The Sting, it was the first time they'd been to see a movie in over a decade.)

So, when it came time for my birthday that year, I had the unexpected pleasure of having it on one of my "weekends," which was in the middle of the week.  I was still driving at the time, so I headed out that day to see what I could find for myself.  Where I found myself was in Century City, buying a ticket to A Chorus Line, currently in it's first Los Angeles engagement, with much of the original cast.  The seat was about four rows back, center.  Adding to the cost was my decision to get a better shirt than the one I had on, a golden yellow dress shirt (but, since it was something I could also wear at work, maybe that wasn't so extravagant).

And I had myself a wonderful time.

When I got back to work the next day, Richard, the manager, was steamed at me for not having spent the night at home.  He had wanted me to come in for some reason on my night off.  (This is the same fellow who later quit his job just before getting caught with his hand in the till, but my stories about Richard can wait for another day.)  

Was the ticket an extravagance?  Yes.  Was it worth it?  Of course.  It was also the last time I went to the theater until der Brucer started insisting that we go together, much more than a decade later.  Like parents, like son.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2004, 12:29:19 PM »

LauraII  it is a nice feeling to know the vibes worked-and thanks for the compliment.

SWW thanks for the Secret Garden info.  I believe I once had a tape of the Broadway cast.  It was a copy a friend made so I’m not sure.  I did not recognize Mandy, whom I don’t care for, and now I know why.

Sandra how did you do on your tests today?

Swishy Sarah count me as one who didn’t take your comment seriously.

Bruce even if you are stark raving mad, I’m glad your allergies have improved.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2004, 12:32:58 PM »

Like DR Ben, I think I'd have to say my most extravagant purchase ever is one that's rather intangible - a two-week trip to Europe as a graduation present to myself.  I have only photographs and memories left, but it was absolutely worth it.

Glad DR Charles Pogue's meeting went well, and GOOD VIBES going out to DR Panni.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jed

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2004, 12:47:16 PM »

I grew up with the thriftiest father known to man (as DR Jed, he'll confirm)

Kinda hard to call a man who frequently shops for cars and such on eBay thrifty.  Your father LOVES to spend money, Ann... as long as it's on sale!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2004, 01:05:52 PM »

Noel I was going to ask the same Hamlet question you did.   ;D

Jane

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2004, 01:11:46 PM »

Panni [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES at your pitch meeting. [/move]  

I have been tempted to cut bangs again, but then I remind myself how much work they are.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2004, 01:28:01 PM »

Jeez, is this a holiday or something?  Where in tarnation IS everyone?  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2004, 01:31:16 PM »

Re: Mandy - He falls into the category of a performer I used to like, but now can't stand.  His over-the-top performance in the LaChuisa WILD PARTY is probably the main reason I liked the Lipa version better.  By the way, the (non-musical) film of WILD PARTY with Jimmy Coco and Raquel Welsh is due out soon on DVD.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2004, 01:33:16 PM »

Far be it from me to deprive the forum of its 50th post!

Like "Death," folks must be taking a holiday or something.

It's grey and windy and the dark cloudy skies are threatening to explode into rain, rain, rain at any second.

Maybe everyone is just bummed out that Matt Rogers was sent packing last night while Camile Belasco remains behind to torture us and another song next week!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 01:35:04 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2004, 01:37:10 PM »

Charles Pogue, continued good vibes for painless, pleasant meetings.

SWW-LOL

My car, which I still have after 12 years, was an extravagant purchase.   I use to be very frugal, heck I moved out of my parent’s home on a penny collection.  For years, extras were usually spent on Keith, the boys & gifts.  The kids were two & five and we were living in Massachusetts when I made the first extravagant purchase I can recall.   I was out doing errands when I spied a hat in the window of a very nice clothing store.  I love hats and often try them on for fun.  Up to then I had only purchased sun hats, nothing expensive.  This hat was very nice & I thought very flattering on me.  Still I started to leave the store when, inspired by THE PREACHER’S WIFE which I had just watched the day before, I purchased the hat.  Yes, I still have it, along with additional hats I have purchased over the years.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2004, 01:38:23 PM »

Well, I can't speak for others, but I sure have been bummed out all day by his ouster. I just found him so much fun. Even Simon admitted Matt was a fun guy. I read something interesting about him at the website: he doesn't drink alcohol. That's unusual for a football player/former football player, isn't it?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2004, 01:45:30 PM »

Topic du Jour

I can think of two extravagant purchases on my part.  Both of them came after the lawsuits had all been resolved regarding my Mother’s death.  The first was the purchase of a brand new, cherry-red 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST(this was in 1994).  At the time, the only new cars I had ever owned were small economy cars, so, to spend over $30,000.00 on a sports car was totally beyond anything I could imagine.  I kept the car until 1997, but then I went back to more economical vehicles.

The second purchase was even more impractical, but in the long run, even more memorable.  That was my trip out to the site where the Titanic sank, while the first attempt was made to raise a section of the hull from the depths of the ocean.  Since I couldn’t find any friends or family who were interested in going, I ended up having to pay single supplement rate for the trip (200%), which was already grossly overpriced to begin with.  And since I had to sail out of Boston anyway, I figured I might as well stop for a few days in New York and see a couple of shows before heading out to sea.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2004, 01:45:52 PM »

RLP we have already exploded into rain, rain, rain along with wind, wind, wind.  Really only wind, wind but it looked better with three winds. :D

I got lucky & it eased up a bit as Echo & I were out on our morning hike.  I would have gone today no matter what the weather sent my way.  Echo is having surgery tomorrow morning to remove two or three growths we are concerned about.  I'm sure they are benign as we have had to do this numerous times, still we want to be sure.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2004, 01:52:18 PM »

Well, we've had two back-to-back days of pure, gorgeous springtime. Expecting some showers by the weekend, but today has been a little piece of heaven here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2004, 01:59:58 PM »

My most extravagent purchase was a J.C. Leyendecker painting, one of his Saturday Evening Post covers from 1921.  I payed $32,000 for it.   I sold fifty rare books so I could buy it.  One year later, I decided that if I was going to own a Leyendecker the one I had wasn't the right one, as it wasn't a classic Leyendecker subject.  So, I sold it for $54,000.  That's a pretty good return on the money for a year.  I used that money for a variety and also a hollywood reporter of things, including buying more art.  I've had to sell most of the great pieces, thanks to certain parties involving me in an unnecessary and totally fruitless lawsuit, but such is life.

Tomovoz

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2004, 02:21:45 PM »

I am so boring with money. I have spent so much on overseas trips, theatre tickets and music but I have always saved for them so nothing seemed like an extravagence at all.
Only major expense not saved for was the recent operation on Magnus - and that was a priority and essential.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2004, 02:27:37 PM »

The most extravagent things that I've purchased (not including my car, which is a necessity), have been CDs and records and my one trip to New York.  In New York, I bought the original London cast recording (on vinyl) of 1776 for $60.  That was probably the most expensive cast recording that I'd ever gotten.  I also bought the London cast recording (also on vinyl) to Children of Eden.  I probably didn't pay more than $40, but I got it at the same time, so it was all very expensive.  On that trip, I saw five Broadway shows, including Victor/Victoria with Julie Andrews, Sunset Boulevard with Betty Buckley and Robeson with Avery Brooks.  All three were wonderful, as was the entire trip.

Now I must be off to finish up getting my sister's house ready for me to move into it.  After we clean up, I'll start cleaning and packing up my apartment.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get it all done this weekend.  It shouldn't be difficult...I just have to do it.  James Cameron and Leonardo DiCaprio (Dogboy, as my niece refers to him) may claim to be the kings of the world, but I am the King of Procrastinators!  I claim that title justly. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2004, 02:30:49 PM »

My most extravagant purchase took place about two years ago, when I won an auction for Alexis Smith's Tony Award for Follies on eBay.  The seller only had the medallion--no base.  And the thought more than occurred to me that it might have been counterfit.  But in the end, I couldn't resist it.  It was too rare a piece of theatrical memorabilia to pass by.  And now I can actually call myself a Tony Award winner.

WOW, I'm so jealous!

I bid on a Merman purse once on eBay, but I lost.  I don't do eBay anymore, it's simply too addictive.

My main extravagance is theatre tickets and trips to NYC.  I mean, not that there isn't great theatre in DC (there's some amazing stuff and I'm seriously looking forward to the Tennesee Williams festival this summer), but I'm a Broadway Baby.  I need me theatre and lots of it.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up