Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SHOWMANSHIP  (Read 22827 times)

DAW

Re: SHOWMANSHIP
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 06:37:13 AM »

Wait, that didn't come out right.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm heading to Lancaster, PA, for the day!

OH...QUAKER FOR THE DAY

More like Amish for the Day. Well, I'm hoping to have a slice of Shoo-Fly Pie while I'm t/here.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 06:38:30 AM »

Wait, that didn't come out right.

That's what she said.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »

As a writer of Sherlock Holmes films (two very good ones with Ian Richardson and one very good script that became an awful movie with Edward Woodward) and one Sherlock Holmes play, I have read the entire Holmes Canon (as well as a great bunch of other Conan Doyle, who wrote many fine things besides Sherlock...I'm fond of the Brigadier Gerard stories), my favourite stories would be the two I adpated, SIGN OF FOUR and HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.  I also enjoy the VALLEY OF FEAR, even though the second part of the novel doesn't deal with Holmes at all.  But the first half has great detection in it.  THE SECOND STAIN, THE COOPER BEECHES, THOR BRIDGE, THE DEVIL'S FOOT, THE CREEPING MAN, THE MAN WITH THE TWISTED LIP...all have their charms.

As far as the films go, Basil was wonderful...his best being THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES which was done in the proper period.  Owning and having read Mr. Druxman's wonderful book and having lived very near Mr. Rathbone's house on Los Feliz Boulevard, I must reluctantly say I felt Mr. Brett was the quintessential Holmes...before he got sick and the series trailed off at the end.  But he was not afraid to make Holmes thoroughly dislikeable and disagreeable at times...which he was.  It was a very daring and dangerous protrayal.

But my favourite movie would have to be my own HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES...solely because the filming of it was one of the happiest most exciting periods of my life.  And it is still the most faithful of all the films made from my scripts...and the only one I return to again and again to watch.  Ian Richardson is a more-user friendly Holmes than Brett and seems to capture the Holmes of the later stories, where Holmes was more humourous.

Having also acted in THE CRUCIFER OF BLOOD onstage with Charlton Heston as Holmes and Jeremy Brett as Watson, I can tell you Brett was just as wonderful a Watson as he was a Holmes.  He said to me at the time, "In England, I get all these Weight of the Empire roles, so it's nice to come over here and play Winnie-the-Pooh...which is exactly how I'm playing Watson. " At the time, he also confided very specific ideas about how Holmes should be played...ideas that he later incorporated into his own portrayal.

I'm also very fond of my Holmes play, THE EBONY APE.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:47:34 AM by Charles Pogue »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 06:54:05 AM »

Maybe hang your head in shame

Consider me hung.

It boggles the mind!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 06:54:43 AM »

Good Morning.  I need to go take Sugar for a walk before it hits 90 outside.  Be back in a bit.
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 07:05:58 AM »

You'd better hurry, Kerry. It's already 89.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 07:12:52 AM »

Good morning, all! Today I once again successfully bathed myself, in spite of the pain amnd aggravation, and I am ready to face a day of Life Begins at 8:40 edits.  I slept well last night; I was up around 4 this morning to take another dose of vicodin and muscle relaxant. Around 9:10 am my leg start3d throbbing and I decided to get up and begin the day.

Curiously, there was a huge puddle of water under my bathroom sink this morning. I'm wondering if I have a leaking toilet, although I see no signs of it, just these sudden pools of water. I cannot blame the ghosts for this and I'm puzzled.

TOD:
I own two of DR Charles Pogue's Sherlock Holmes movies, THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES and SIGN OF THE FOUR, as well as several other versions of the Holmes mysteries.
Two of my favorite Holmes films are the two Jack the Ripper storylines, A STUDY IN TERROR, with the late great Robert Morley as Holmes' brother, and A STUDY IN TERROR, based on the royal conspiracy plot pushed by Stephen Knight in his JACK THE RIPPER: THE FINAL SOLUTION. This theory was later debunked until Patricia Cornwell suddenly announced she had solved the killings and plagiarized Knight's theories.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DAW

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 07:19:29 AM »

DAW

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »

Good to see you here, DR elmore3003!      :)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 07:36:57 AM »

Went to see the movie THE HURT LOCKER yesterday, We thought it to be a Great Great Movie, I urge you to see it and let us know what you thought.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 07:40:10 AM »

TOD:

I've pretty much always enjoyed the Basil Rathbone series of films.  Even the hokey ones that had Holmes dealing with Nazi spies during WWII were still fun. 

I also like THE SEVEN AND A HALF PERCENT SOLUTION, THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS.  I was rather disappointed by Caleb Carr's recent take on Sherlock Holmes, though...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 07:45:26 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I think I've only seen "The Seven Percent Solution," "They Might Be Giants" and "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother."  I enjoyed all three of them. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2009, 07:48:03 AM »

Last night, it was 94° up in my bedroom at about 11:00 pm! :P When I finally went to bed (at about 1:30 am ::)), it was about 92°.  Not much cooler.  So, I finally got some blankets and slept downstairs on my sleeper-sofa that my parents bought me last year.  It was about 87° down there...even cooler, but still warm. 

Anyway, it was one of the worst nights of sleep I've had in a long time!  The sleeper-sofa looks nice, but it was just SO uncomfortable. :-\ And I have two ticking clocks in my living room, which are very loud when there is absolutely no other noise.  I don't think I got more than a couple of hours of sleep all night.  I'd rather deal with the heat and sleep upstairs from now on.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  The grass-cutting guys are here and we're expecting a call from the plumber about repairing  our bathroom sink.  Ah, home-ownership.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2009, 07:51:20 AM »

Am I misremembering, or was there a mash-up film or novel that had Sherlock Holmes solving THE MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2009, 07:54:52 AM »

Some TV station showed the Basil Rathbone series when I was about 12 or so, and I loved listening to the banter.  The mysteries were always secondary to the characters.  At any rate, I loved them when I was about that age.  They got replaced as a favorite when the same TV station ran the Andy Hardy series.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »

I had to read "Hound of the Baskervilles" once aloud (probably Recording for the Blind), and it was fun to read aloud!
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2009, 07:57:08 AM »

George, did they ever install the skylight?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Kerry

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2009, 07:57:39 AM »

Last night, it was 94° up in my bedroom at about 11:00 pm! :P When I finally went to bed (at about 1:30 am ::)), it was about 92°.  Not much cooler.  So, I finally got some blankets and slept downstairs on my sleeper-sofa that my parents bought me last year.  It was about 87° down there...even cooler, but still warm. 

Anyway, it was one of the worst nights of sleep I've had in a long time!  The sleeper-sofa looks nice, but it was just SO uncomfortable. :-\ And I have two ticking clocks in my living room, which are very loud when there is absolutely no other noise.  I don't think I got more than a couple of hours of sleep all night.  I'd rather deal with the heat and sleep upstairs from now on.

I'm assuming your skylight still has not been installed?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 07:58:24 AM »

George, did they ever install the skylight?

Great minds think alike.  Or maybe we just know what the heat feels like!  HOT minds think alike!
I like boat races.

George

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 08:09:16 AM »

You are both correct...the new operable skylight has NOT yet been installed. >:(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 08:12:03 AM »

I think you need an air conditioner in your bedroom, DR George!

George

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2009, 08:13:36 AM »

They were supposed to install it when my roof was re-roofed, but it wasn't.  Then, it was supposed to be installed when the next building was re-roofed (so the installers only have to make one trip).  That was supposed to be last week, but the next building wasn't re-roofed.  I don't know why.  Now, I have no idea when the next roof will be done, meaning, I have no idea (still) when my new operable skylight will be installed.  And this week, it's going to be the hottest that it's been in a LONG time.

:P I say.

George

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2009, 08:15:09 AM »

I think you need an air conditioner in your bedroom, DR George!

If it were only that simple. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:18 AM »

DR MattH re: the finale of THE FASHION SHOW

one two three one two three blah blah one two buckle my shoe three four close the door
one two three one two three blah blah one two buckle my shoe three four close the door
I think by making it a public vote that they guaranteed that the winner would win. Apparently the public viewed the runner up as a bitch. So even if her collection had been amazing, i suspect she would not have won. I was not happy that the judges picked the runner up as their winner. I also did not care for her final collection at all. I can't believe that the winner got 56% of the vote though. That is crazy. I wonder if people just liked her better, or found her final collection more accessible. To me i was pretty sure she would win. I never really cared for her that much during the season. But i really liked her final collection and would wear a lot of those pieces. I wonder if the judges were mad she won. They thought her collection was not cohesive.  It was clear though that james paul was the most talented innovative designer. So i had hoped the judges would have given him their prize. But i guess not! :(

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:20:55 AM by Jennifer »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2009, 08:19:17 AM »

Dan the man, I too was disappointed in Caleb Carr's Holmes pastiche. 

Mr. Druxman, I own a large six foot by seven poster of the SCARLET CLAW that hangs in the foyer of my home.  Harlan Ellison insists that he will steal one day.

George

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2009, 08:19:32 AM »

My bedroom is actually a loft area above the "official" master bedroom (which I'm actually using as my TV/computer room) of my three-story townhouse condo.  The closest place that I could put an air conditioner is on the second floor (in my TV/computer room) but that won't help my bedroom, upstairs.  There is no openable window up in the loft, just the (now) un-openable skylight that I want changed to a new operable skylight, so that I can let out the hot air.

George

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »

Well, since I'm up this darned early, I might as well go to work this early.

George

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »

And since we're so darned close...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up