Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SHOWMANSHIP  (Read 22819 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: SHOWMANSHIP
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »

PAGE THREE OFF-TO-WORK-EARLY DANCE!!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »

Have a good day, all.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 08:43:58 AM »

Has anyone seen the absolutely peculiar Holmes films with Matt Frewer?  I told Betsy he's either a genius or a madman, his interpretation is so peculiar.

Well, ladies and germs, I am officially the parent of a teenager.  Pray for Rosemary's father.  Or something like that.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »

For those who might be interested:         the concept of Twitter, explained very simply

That was a good explanation. But I still have a question. To read people's tweets, does that come to you via email or on your phone? Or do you log into Twitter and then read all the various and sundried tweets?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:56:01 AM by MBarnum »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

Stay-cool vibes to all those suffering from the hot weather.

Laura

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:08 AM »

Plan on a few interesting years at your house, JMK.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:39 AM »

When I was a kid I the Universal Basil Rathbone SHERLOCK HOLMES films aired regularly. Till date, those are the only versions I have seen, and I enjoyed them all very much. My favorite, as I recall, was THE PEARL OF DEATH.

I never did see HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, but there is a Bollywood movie "based" on that story. BEES SAAL BAAD is the title, and it is one of my all time favorite films. Even though it was made in 1962 it has the look and feeling of an old 1930s or 40s horror film.

JMK

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »

He actually seems to have attained a fair degree of emotional equilibrium recently after a very rocky last year.  So we're hoping the first massive hormone influx is over and we have a moment or two of relative peace.  I can dream, can't I?

Gabe did say this morning he wants to be a "good teen," that he can't stand the reputation that teens in general have and he doesn't want to be "like those teens."  We shall see.  As long as he inherited Betsy's gene pool, we'll be fine.  If he follows in his father's footsteps, you'll find me in a fetal position under my piano.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2009, 09:07:08 AM »

Bruce, I too would like to see movie theatres restored to their former glory, but there are economic factors as well. People just aren't going to the movies much anymore, which has hurt revenue. There's a theatre in Virginia--Jose will know it--an arthouse place, that really tried to do things right, but they are struggling. From what they used to say in their email newsletter, the distributors often make some pretty poor decisions as to which theatres can show which films. The distributors, of course, are trying to maximize their profits, without much regard to others. Personally, I am really put off by the high prices, which IMO just means that even fewer people attend. And then there's the issue of the quality of the films. It's a mess!

I'm sure that others here have more insight into this than I do. Other viewpoints? 

JMK

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2009, 09:18:48 AM »

We hardly ever go to movies, except if there's a "big" kids' film out.  Betsy will probably take the boys to Harry Potter this week, but it's probably just as much to be in a nice air conditioned environment, LOL, than it is to see the film.  I have the same price issue you do, Jeanne--why pay $30-40 to take my family (not including food), when a few months (or even weeks) later, I can buy the DVD or BD for less and enjoy the film in the comfort of my own home without the rude people sitting around me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2009, 09:19:39 AM »

Must take care of other things.

TTFN.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »

He actually seems to have attained a fair degree of emotional equilibrium recently after a very rocky last year.  So we're hoping the first massive hormone influx is over and we have a moment or two of relative peace.  I can dream, can't I?

Gabe did say this morning he wants to be a "good teen," that he can't stand the reputation that teens in general have and he doesn't want to be "like those teens."  We shall see.  As long as he inherited Betsy's gene pool, we'll be fine.  If he follows in his father's footsteps, you'll find me in a fetal position under my piano.  :)

First of all, Happy Birthday to Gabe!

DR JMK, my husband was teaching pre-teens and early teens (gifted math & science) at the time our son became a teenager.  Whenever our son did something that made me roll my eyes, Richard always said, "Girls are worse."  Just keep that in mind and have fun!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »

My son was abducted by aliens when he started high school at 14 and switched with an alien. It looked like my son, but it sure didn't act like my sweet boy. It was quite rocky for several years. For some reason, the aliens switched them again after he had lived on his own for a couple of years. I don't know why they wanted that alien kid back.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »

The showing at the Chinese was a regular screening - I just wanted to go to the Chinese again.  The Chinese is a showplace and one of the great movie theaters.  It's "Hollywood."  So, like the El Capitan, it should be used as a reminder of how great the moviegoing experience should be.  But instead the crass cretins at Mann Theaters take the easy way and show the ads and cover up the original projection booths and show dim digital projection and shame on them.  The projection at the El Capitan is superb, whether it's digital or film, because it's bright and sharp.  And there are curtains, and you don't see the screen when you enter, and it's nice.  They give you a show, which they should for all the bloody money they charge now.  It was twelve bucks to see the Harry Potter movie at a matinee.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:52 AM »

I was up at five-twenty, went back to sleep, slept until the noise started at seven-thirty, but refused to get out of bed until fifteen minutes ago.

DAW

« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »

For me, DR Jeanne:  yes, the physical conditions at the cinema are definitely in decline.  And that is sad.  But what really keeps me from viewing movies in public is the more rapidly deteriorating behavior of my fellow public.  To me, it's just not worth it any more.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:48 AM »

My sister just sent this one:

What American accent do you have?

I tried it and it correctly pinpointed me as Philadelphia (or thereabouts),  but I have suspicions about how it really works.  Let me know what you people get (especially any recently transplanted DRs.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »

To read people's tweets, does that come to you via email or on your phone? Or do you log into Twitter and then read all the various and sundried tweets?

DR MBarnum - there are various methods to read the Tweets [posts].  You can do it on your computer, either through the Twitter website or through various "clients," just as you view your email through a client.  And/or you can choose to receive the Tweets on your phone - or just the Tweets of certain people whom you select.  Just as you can also send Tweets from your phone.  I have it set up that only Direct Messages - private messages sent just to me - come through my email.

DAW

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »

I tried it and it correctly pinpointed me as Philadelphia (or thereabouts),  but I have suspicions about how it really works.  Let me know what you people get (especially any recently transplanted DRs.)

DR DtM:  fun!  It said my accent was from the West.  And since I lived in Los Angeles from roughly the age of 3 to 8, I guess that makes sense.

Ben

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2009, 10:10:44 AM »

I'm suspicious of the results. I've been in New York for 29 years and even before that I was never asked if I was from Minnesota (or Wisconsin which they say in the test results). I've heard Minnesota speak my entire life and Minnesotans would answer those questions much differently than I did. I worked very hard to neutralize any accent I might have had and I don't think, based on my answers, that I sound Midwestern (or Inland North) at all. This is not to disparage people from the Midwest who have a noticeable accent, I just don't feel I do and I don't think the test is terribly accurate.

Also, I haven't called carbonated drinks "pop" since I was about 11 years old. If I drink something like that it's "soda". Ask my 4 sisters and 2 brothers. When I visit them and they offer me "pop" I say "No thanks, do you have any soda?"  :D

I'm such a good older brother.

George

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »

My sister just sent this one:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I was born in Alabama, but lived in Georgia, California, Texas, Germany, Colorado and  Washington by the time I was 10.  I've lived here ever since. :)

JMK

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2009, 10:17:31 AM »

They have me as The Inland North, which I actually find preferable to Utah.  In Utah, they pray to The Lard while riding their harses.

DAW

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2009, 10:21:52 AM »

In Utah, they pray to The Lard

Maybe that's part of their problem.       ;)

JMK

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »

In Utah, they pray to The Lard

Maybe that's part of their problem.       ;)

Don't even get me started...

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »

I just posted a blog about how I never go to movie theatres anymore and about the bad manners creeping into the live theatre as well.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »

I forgot CRUCIFER OF BLOOD, which DR CP mentioned. 

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »

I am most distressed by the audience self-centeredness and behavior in LIVE THEE-AY-TER, as well.  I would hate to have to stop going.....but it's close.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2009, 10:33:24 AM »

I am playing Jonathan in September's production of ARSENIC AND OLD LACE and I am working on my scar.....no makeup on it yet...and the shadow of my glasses is in the way....but it's a start.

DAW

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »

...but it's a start.

As the song says, this could be the start of something BIG!!     :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2009, 10:40:30 AM »

DR CP you and MRS CP should drive up to see MAN OF LA MANCHA - if you've never been to Greencastle, it's nice place....and it's near some covered bridges and other places of interest.

http://www.coveredbridgecountry.com/

And you can stay in the Cole Porter Suite at the Walden Inn...

http://www.waldeninn.com/

I love the Walden Inn, although it's a bit pricey for me....and you will get in before the DePauw influx of students and parents.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up