Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BUT I NEVER OWNED A LEISURE SUIT  (Read 26970 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: BUT I NEVER OWNED A LEISURE SUIT
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »

Heading down now to get cleaned up for my lunch out with friends today.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »

Page Three Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:44 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »

Just had an e-mail from an auction house with prices realized for their movie poster auction.  You would never know there's a recession on or that people are worried about money.  A poster for the silent film Hollywood sold for almost ninety grand.  A Gilda one-sheet (which I owned at one point - not this one, but one in excellent condition), sold for over thirty grand.  And several others, including the Creature From The Black Lagoon, went for over twenty.  Since it's never ever sold for over six grand, someone was a big, fat, totally idiotic idiot.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2009, 08:42:41 AM »

Since none of our Lost experts can figure it out - SPOILER

In the final episode of Lost Season Two there are flashbacks of Desmond and an army guy we've formerly seen with Sayid in Iraq.  They are the then button pushers in the hatch.  The army guy tells a story and in it he repeatedly invokes the name of his former hatch partner - Rodzinski.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  Of course, one of the two writers of the episode might be a classical music buff, but having seen them, I'd say the more than likely scenario is that they watched Spaceship repeatedly on its two years' worth of showings on USA when they were kiddies.  I hear those stories all the time now - kids who grew up in the 1980s who, for reasons that have to do with age, love the film and can quote almost every line of it, especially those spoken by Gerritt Graham as - Rodzinski.  The fact that one of our former beloved dear readers named himself after the character when posting here should have jogged some Lost expert's memory :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2009, 09:08:36 AM »

I had an e-mail from a CD purchaser telling me she'd purchased two CDs from us and received them a month ago and that both of them arrived with "smashed" cases and that we should be more careful in how we ship.  First of all, why did it take a month to write the e-mail?  Second of all, I'm at a loss as to how to be more careful than using expensive cardboard boxes to ship CDs, other than encasing them in steel boxes.  We obviously have no control over how the USPS manhandles them.  Third of all, we've really only heard about two other cases of "smashed" cases, and since one of them involved six CDs, I asked them to return them, which he did, and I replaced them.  Those six CD cases, which were described to me as "smashed to smithereens", had a couple of hairline cracks - that was the worst of it - and most of them only had one barely discernible hairline crack.  It just makes you wonder - these handful of people never write to tell you they've enjoyed the CD, just that the cases arrived "smashed."  Since this latest gal doesn't want to return them or get replacements, well, I can only imagine how "smashed" they really are.

All 13 CDs you sent me the other week arrived in immaculate conditions.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2009, 09:08:45 AM »

I figured it out, and I have never even watched LOST.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:17:34 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »

I think trendy clothes are fun, that is what makes each decade's fashions unique and so enjoyable to look back at (except the 80s, which were hideous).

I did have a leisure suit, although I can't recall ever wearing it. I also had one pair of the popular SAN FRANCISCO jeans, during the early 80s. I also had a few rather wild patterned shirts in the early 70s. In the 80s I had the ever popular polo shirts in the popular pink and blue shades. Never did the baseball hat thing, until recently, and that is only when my hair gets long and unruly.

I don't stear clear of something just because it is trendy. If I like it and it looks good on me, I will wear it, trendy or not.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I guess I didn't get up "early" today. Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »

I had an e-mail from a CD purchaser telling me she'd purchased two CDs from us and received them a month ago and that both of them arrived with "smashed" cases and that we should be more careful in how we ship.  First of all, why did it take a month to write the e-mail?  Second of all, I'm at a loss as to how to be more careful than using expensive cardboard boxes to ship CDs, other than encasing them in steel boxes.  We obviously have no control over how the USPS manhandles them.  Third of all, we've really only heard about two other cases of "smashed" cases, and since one of them involved six CDs, I asked them to return them, which he did, and I replaced them.  Those six CD cases, which were described to me as "smashed to smithereens", had a couple of hairline cracks - that was the worst of it - and most of them only had one barely discernible hairline crack.  It just makes you wonder - these handful of people never write to tell you they've enjoyed the CD, just that the cases arrived "smashed."  Since this latest gal doesn't want to return them or get replacements, well, I can only imagine how "smashed" they really are.

Is this someone who has posted here....and at FSM?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »

I now remember that about the name "Rodzinski"....I even took note of it when it aired....but had forgotten already.

Ah, the mind....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 09:25:26 AM »

But I have been up for a while... I sat in bed for about 45 minutes while two women had a "serious" conversation about real estate practices right outside my window.  Well, I thought they were right outside my window, but when I peeked out my window, it turned out that they were standing about 10 feet from my window.  I guess some people just like to talk loud(ly).  In any case...

I did get a kick hearing about just how much work, how many hours of work they needed to spend in the office each day to be successful.  One woman thought three hours of office work was needed each day.  Her friend thought only an hour a day was required.  Umm... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »

I now remember that about the name "Rodzinski"....I even took note of it when it aired....but had forgotten already.

Ah, the mind....

I remember that now too.  However, I think with all the SPOILER worries, no one really mentioned it here on the site when the episode originally aired.  Of course, with my background, the first "thing" that comes to mind is: "conductor". And in more recent(!) news, the retirement of the president of the Van Cliburn Competition.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »

Your shipping boxes are some of the best packaging I've received from any shipper. I got too many DVD and CD cases in damaged condition from Amazon Marketplace vendors.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »

Just had an e-mail from an auction house with prices realized for their movie poster auction.  You would never know there's a recession on or that people are worried about money.  A poster for the silent film Hollywood sold for almost ninety grand.  A Gilda one-sheet (which I owned at one point - not this one, but one in excellent condition), sold for over thirty grand.  And several others, including the Creature From The Black Lagoon, went for over twenty.  Since it's never ever sold for over six grand, someone was a big, fat, totally idiotic idiot.

I've noticed this trend, as well.  I am absolutely STUNNED at the prices people are paying for lobby cards,  stills, inserts and one-sheets.  Some things are predictable (anything with Marilyn or Audrey Hepburn sells very well -- and if it's "Breakfast at Tiffany's", it sells HUGE...i.e. a single lobby card can fetch many hundreds of dollars), but some amazing bids have won some marginal things lately. 

I've not been much affected by the recession (yet), but I've seen some "fair-to-good" items receive bids I'd have to think about for items in "very good-to-fine" condition.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:38:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »

Back from the two-mile jog.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »

Well...  My day has just taken a most interesting turn... So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »

TOD:

I did own a leisure suit.  And that is the closest I will get to ever being trendy.

DAW, what you were wearing in February of this year doesn't count.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2009, 09:56:02 AM »

Since none of our Lost experts can figure it out - SPOILER

In the final episode of Lost Season Two there are flashbacks of Desmond and an army guy we've formerly seen with Sayid in Iraq.  They are the then button pushers in the hatch.  The army guy tells a story and in it he repeatedly invokes the name of his former hatch partner - Rodzinski.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  Of course, one of the two writers of the episode might be a classical music buff, but having seen them, I'd say the more than likely scenario is that they watched Spaceship repeatedly on its two years' worth of showings on USA when they were kiddies.  I hear those stories all the time now - kids who grew up in the 1980s who, for reasons that have to do with age, love the film and can quote almost every line of it, especially those spoken by Gerritt Graham as - Rodzinski.  The fact that one of our former beloved dear readers named himself after the character when posting here should have jogged some Lost expert's memory :)

BK, I'm virtually certain we discussed this very coinky-dink back when it was first broadcast.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »

I agree about BK's boxes.  I was just thinking how sturdy they are when I got my shipment of 3 CDs a few days ago.

JMK

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:17 AM »

Well the men in black at the National Weather Service are claiming we only (ONLY) hit 106 yesterday, despite my outside thermometer getting up to 107.  We have another day of triple digits in store, evidently, and are now tied with the most consecutive 100+ days in Portland's history.  A record I could do without, frankly.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »

Yesterday, der Brucer wrote:
Hmmm...

George installs an openable skylight in his bedroom with only a small screen protecting him from alien invasion - and now he seems to be missing in action.

Coincidence -I think not
!

FREE GEORGE!

der Brucer

I'm not missing!!  No, really...I'm not!  I just want to enjoy the newly available breeze so I went to bed earlier to enjoy more of it!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I have never participated in any clothing fads.  I've never been trendy or fashion conscious...ever. ::)

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »

And now, it's time for me to take a shower, get dressed and go to work.

Have a good day, all!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2009, 11:03:29 AM »

TOD

My blue peg-legged high-risers with pink saddle stitching were not my finest moment.

Bermuda short suits come in a close second.

I still have my leisure suits.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »

BK, I agree with you that that was a great ending!

re: spoiler space for LOST seasons past. I don't think at this point that we need to put any elaborate spoiler space. But just the word "spoiler" and a mention of what will be discussed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »

BK, I agree with you that that was a great ending!

re: spoiler space for LOST seasons past. I don't think at this point that we need to put any elaborate spoiler space. But just the word "spoiler" and a mention of what will be discussed.

On the last "Mary Tyler Moore" show, everyone was fired except Ted Baxter.

There...DEAL WITH IT!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2009, 11:43:09 AM »

Who shot JR?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »

So, BK, whattya think I could get for my Scarlet Claw poster?

Amy

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »

Well, naturally I wore bell-bottom pants, which isn't so amusing. The amusing part is that when you're a 10-year old kid those bell-bottom pants would inevitably get caught in your bicycle chain, which was very annoying. I tore and ruined more than one bell-bottom pants this way. I also had moccasins, which I remember didn't last very long. I mean what do you expect from shoes that really have no sole? My favorite shoes were these psychedelic walking shoes that my dad hated and referred to as clown shoes. They were very 60's even though I bought them in the 70's. All my classmates were jealous of me when I wore them, which I loved because I was never very popular in school, but I was the toast of the town when I wore those ugly shoes. Fortunately, I never wore clogs, but one of my classmates did and when she kicked her leg up during recess, the clog flew off, hit another kid in the face, and knocked out two of his front teeth! Clogs were banned at my school from that day on. Now THAT'S what I call a wardrobe malfunction.

BRUCE, thank you so much for posting all the "What If" clips on YouTube! Mark and I loved that show and wanted to see again, but we saw it on the very last night, so we didn't get the chance. I completely forgot what all the song/composer pairings were. It was so much fun to see them again. We especially loved "Oklahoma" being presented as a trailer, Vince Lafontaine-style - hysterical!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up