Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: MR. DINTHER HELMUT AND THE SEVEN MILLION POUNDS  (Read 23131 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: MR. DINTHER HELMUT AND THE SEVEN MILLION POUNDS
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »

Good Evening!

The Good News: I'm back from dinner with DR elmore.  The conversation was sparkling, and the gossip was dish-icious!  -And I really think that DR elmore should write two books: 1) his memoirs, and 2) a very "friendly" textbook covering the orchestrators, orchestrations and the traditions of American Musical Theatre.

The Bad News: We had planned to dine at our beloved La Cocina for some Mexican food, but it appears La Cocina is no more, no mas.  The gates were down, and even all the signage had been taken down.  :(

The Good News: We ended up enjoying some wonderful Indian food at the new UWS location of Baluchi's - which happened to take the place of the Hannafin's.

*And since Baluchi's is literally around the corner from DR elmore's place, DR MBarnum won't have to head into Queens for some good Indian food when he comes for a visit. In fact, since Baluchi's delivers, he wouldn't even have to leave DR elmore's apartment.  Although, I'm not sure if they're able to deliver to fire escapes. ;)

I've discovered that I have a storage space in the basement that I have never used. I think I will convert it to a guest room and, with luck, I'll never see DR MBarnum when he comes to visit.

DR Jose, the textbook idea sounds fascinating. Next time I see you, I must get you to elaborate on the concept.

My biryani shrimp was very tasty!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2009, 05:42:54 PM »

This is a bad tv night until "Top Chef Masters." I'm watching GHOST HUNTERS, but it's a boring show. Perhaps if the soundtrack would cut down the needless bumps, shudders, and groans in its unceasing tunelessness, we might hear something otherworldly on the actual soundtrack.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: August 05, 2009, 05:44:05 PM »

And in other news...

Season One of "21 Jump Street" - with a young(er) Johnny Depp - is now available on Hulu.com.

-Just in case anyone needed their Holly Robinson (Pete) fix. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #213 on: August 05, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »

DRs Elmore and Jose - glad you had a nice dinner together, but I'm sorry to hear about La Cocina's demise.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #214 on: August 05, 2009, 05:47:20 PM »

I'm watching a Josh Groban special on PBS.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: August 05, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »

DR Ginny, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at the doctor's today. I think they should realize when people have to fast for tests that many have severe reactions--some people can't safely fast! I also feel that many in the medical profession are lacking compassion and empathy. A friend and I were chatting about this earlier. I said that medical care could be greatly improved with just a change of attitude. It would still need improvement, but at least patients would feel that practitioners and their staff were really trying, really caring. Some are caring, of course, but there are so many blunders. It just frosts me. Enough of my opinion.

I hope you are home now and comfortable.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: August 05, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »

A full moon + eclipse = ?? Shall we blame it on the two? I REALLY don't feel we can blame Jose this time.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: August 05, 2009, 05:53:07 PM »

I neglected to congratulate Larry on his new offer. Congrats!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: August 05, 2009, 05:57:43 PM »

Time for a walk.  TTFN.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #219 on: August 05, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »

DRs Elmore and Jose - glad you had a nice dinner together, but I'm sorry to hear about La Cocina's demise.

Sob! Moi aussi!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #220 on: August 05, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »

I will let JR pass on the many piquante Budd Schulberg-Frances Farmer anecdotes.  ;)

Druxy, I also had to review RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN (as did MattH, I think).  While the image wasn't spectacular, it was certainly above DVD standards, IMHO, and the soundtrack was certainly better than you get on most DVDs.  Just my 2 cents. 
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: August 05, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »

Oh...

So, after DR elmore and I parted ways on the corner of 82nd & Broadway, I actually decided to go ahead and walk up to 85th Street to see the shuttered La Cocina for myself... :-\

On the way back down Broadway, I stopped into the newly opened location Corner Cafe & Bakery - which is not related to the national chain, The Corner Bakery.  Outside, they had a whole bunch of dinner specials listed, but I also noticed that they had a bakery case, and it turned out that they have a very nice prepared foods case.  Well...

Since I had planned to walk back down Broadway to Columbus Circle, I decided to pick up a Blueberry Lemonade to sip while I walked.  They are "shelved" with no ice, but once you order it, they put ice in it.  Well, I thought I had noticed that when the counter person went to put ice in my drink, that she had dropped the lid on the floor... OK, she'll just get a fresh lid... Instead, she picked up the lid from the floor, then rinsed it off in the sink behind the counter... Hmm...

"Did you drop the lid?"
-Yes, I did, but I rinsed it.
"You really should have gotten a fresh lid. I know the food service rules."
-Well, I did rinse it off, so it's clean now.
"Well, you really should have just gotten a new lid. That would have been much easier, and the correct thing to do."
-Well... Would you like a fresh lemonade?
"Yes, I would. Thank You."

I could tell I flustered her, but I also know that rinsing something that fell on the floor is not going to "clean" it.  I really wasn't upset.  I just wanted it done right.

-And the Blueberry Lemonade was quite good too! A perfect drink for a stroll down Broadway on a summer night in New York City.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2009, 06:28:12 PM »

DR Jose - will you accompany DR Jeanne and me to our next medical/dental appointments?  Those folks need to be held accountable, too!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2009, 06:32:37 PM »

DR Jose - will you accompany DR Jeanne and me to our next medical/dental appointments?  Those folks need to be held accountable, too!

Sure! Just have the plane tickets messengered to me in the morning. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »

Now THIS could be very, very, very (that's three very's) interesting:

Nigel Lythgoe talking to Paula Abdul about joining So You Think You Can Dance
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »

Well, it's official!  I'm going to the call-backs for the Theater Artists Olympia's production of The Brain From Planet X!! ;D

Call-backs are next Monday, but the show itself doesn't go up until next spring. :-\

Congratualtions, George.  Much breaking of the legs!
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »

Sure! Just have the plane tickets messengered to me in the morning. ;)

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »

DR Ginny, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at the doctor's today. I think they should realize when people have to fast for tests that many have severe reactions--some people can't safely fast! I also feel that many in the medical profession are lacking compassion and empathy. A friend and I were chatting about this earlier. I said that medical care could be greatly improved with just a change of attitude. It would still need improvement, but at least patients would feel that practitioners and their staff were really trying, really caring. Some are caring, of course

Oh, I would say that some of them are also very trying.
“One thing’s universal,

DAW

« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »

My - much going on here today.

Good news from DRs JMK, Ginny, elmore3003, Matt H., and George.   :D

Congratulations to DR Jeanne on her new milestone.

DAW

« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »

Today I did indeed see dolphins at about 10 feet away [thrilling!] and also baby osprey.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »

I could tell I flustered her, but I also know that rinsing something that fell on the floor is not going to "clean" it. 

It seems to work for M.Barnum!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2009, 06:54:23 PM »

I could tell I flustered her, but I also know that rinsing something that fell on the floor is not going to "clean" it. 

It seems to work for M.Barnum!

ROTFMAO!!!!!

:) :) :) :)

Sleep well, Tom.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2009, 07:01:49 PM »

Well, one of the positive outcomes of our current family ordeal is that Lauren's Aunt Ginny has learned to text on her cell phone (Lauren's so proud of me!). 

Tonight's exchange has confirmed that John will have surgery tomorrow morning to replace the vent with a trach and to insert a feeding tube.  Continued vibes and prayers are appreciated. 

Laura

« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2009, 07:09:36 PM »

Vibes and prayers that tomorrow's procedure goes smoothly and that it helps!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Michael

« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

ASK BK

According to Arthurian legend Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones wrote over 100 songs that were not used in 110 In the Shade? If so, how many of these have you actually heard or know about?

I know you recorded quite a few of these numbers (about 6 I think)
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:45 PM »

Thank you, DR Laura.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »

Oh...

So, after DR elmore and I parted ways on the corner of 82nd & Broadway, I actually decided to go ahead and walk up to 85th Street to see the shuttered La Cocina for myself... :-\

On the way back down Broadway, I stopped into the newly opened location Corner Cafe & Bakery - which is not related to the national chain, The Corner Bakery.  Outside, they had a whole bunch of dinner specials listed, but I also noticed that they had a bakery case, and it turned out that they have a very nice prepared foods case.  Well...

Since I had planned to walk back down Broadway to Columbus Circle, I decided to pick up a Blueberry Lemonade to sip while I walked.  They are "shelved" with no ice, but once you order it, they put ice in it.  Well, I thought I had noticed that when the counter person went to put ice in my drink, that she had dropped the lid on the floor... OK, she'll just get a fresh lid... Instead, she picked up the lid from the floor, then rinsed it off in the sink behind the counter... Hmm...

"Did you drop the lid?"
"Well, you really should have just gotten a new lid. That would have been much easier, and the correct thing to do."

I could tell I flustered her, but I also know that rinsing something that fell on the floor is not going to "clean" it.  I really wasn't upset.  I just wanted it done right.

-And the Blueberry Lemonade was quite good too! A perfect drink for a stroll down Broadway on a summer night in New York City.

I don't disagree one bit.  It definitely is better.

I'm just saying that, in my opinion, the difference between playing a Blu-Ray disc and a regular DVD in a Blu-Ray player is not that anything to get that excited about.

If a Blu-Ray disc is a 10, then a good regular DVD in a Blu-Ray player is certainly an 8 or 9.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »

Wha?!?

Oh, OK... I get it.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2009, 07:39:35 PM »

Oh...

"Did you drop the lid?"

I don't disagree one bit.  It definitely is better.

I'm just saying that, in my opinion, the difference between playing a Blu-Ray disc and a regular DVD in a Blu-Ray player is not that anything to get that excited about.

If a Blu-Ray disc is a 10, then a good regular DVD in a Blu-Ray player is certainly an 8 or 9.

Lovely photos, Laura.

What?  I'm not one to let a non sequitur just end.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up