Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHY DO WE COLLECT?  (Read 22656 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHY DO WE COLLECT?
« on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were collectible, and now it is time for you to post until the collectible cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WHY DO WE COLLECT?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:19:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: EXPATIATE!

DAW

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:38:15 AM »

Very interesting notes and TOD.

I wish I knew what drives me to collect.  If I could turn that switch off, I'd have a lot less clutter and a much larger bank account.        :P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:09:48 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I suspect that I will taking a nap this afternoon. Just sayin'.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:13 AM »

And since I'm up, I think I'm going to watch the sunrise.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 03:20:13 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I suspect that I will taking a nap this afternoon. Just sayin'.

I won't be napping since I'll be at work.

It's supposed to be our first bad summer day today. Temperatures in the mid-90s with humidity making it feel like the mid-100s but it's not supposed to last long.

I'll be in the office anyway. We may make our "move" to temporary quarters today. I will also ask about working at home. We have AC and I would rather work at home even in a heat wave than sit in the madness that could be temporary working quarters for two weeks.

And now it's off to the showers and a trip to the office.

Laura

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:18:35 AM »

TOD: I don't collect anything any more. I am trying to get rid of stuff.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ben

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:30:24 AM »

TOD: I don't collect anything any more. I am trying to get rid of stuff.

Me too.

FJL

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:33:40 AM »

I'm trying to de-clutter, but it's happening very slowly.

DAW

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:19 AM »

I don't collect anything any more.

Except eccentric friends, perhaps?        :)

DAW

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:36 AM »

Collect the whole set!!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 05:54:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: EXPATIATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  PRETTY LITTLE PICTURE

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:14:23 AM »

TOD:

I think I mentioned before here that my main problem with collecting is that I'm cheap and I'm generally unwilling to put out the bucks that real collecting requires.  The most moeny I ever shelled out was for the Alexis Smith Tony award but that was a rare instance of coming across an item that I could not pass by.

But among the things that I casually collect (or at one time collected) are:

60's Toys -- mostly toys that I had or that I coveted
Cereal premiums and toys
Soaky containers
Peanuts -- still tracking down a decent Charlie Brown Talking School Bus
Comic book action figures

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 06:19:53 AM »

Another thing I've mentioned here before:  while eBay has been a boon to collecting, I also found that it sort of killed the thrill of the chase for me.  I don't think that there's been anything that I desired that I haven't been able to find at one time or another--not to mention in one condition or another--on eBay.  Really, it seems that if one is willing to pay the price (which pretty much rules me out), everything is findable on eBay.  The only other requirement is vigilance.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 06:40:19 AM »

I am also a collector.  I have a huge DVD collection and I also collect one-of-a-kind autographs of classic film folk.

For example, I'm not interested in the standard 8x10 b/w glossy photo of Humphrey Bogart or Katharine Hepburn.  Instead, hanging on my wall are framed original lobby cards of BACK LEGION signed by Bogie, and STAGE DOOR, signed by Hepburn, as well as Ginger Rogers and Lucille Ball.  Most of these I've purchased, but some I've pursued (e.g. KISS ME KATE lobby signed by Kathryn Greayson, Howard Keel, Ann Miller and Tommy Rall, who was the hardest signature to get).  Among my other signed lobby cards: CITIZEN KANE (Orson Welles), JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (Abbott & Costello), BODY AND SOUL (John Garfield) and BAND OF ANGELS (Clark Gable).

I am also a fan of Al Hirschfeld; have 10 signed/numbered of his lithos in my living room.

Recently, I've been picking up some of these DonRuss trading cards that include swatches from clothing worn by various stars.

And, like BK, I have a Maltese Falcon.

Also, a "Rosebud"" globe from CITIZEN KANE. (Do you have one of those, BK?)

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 06:40:27 AM »

My wife says that, after I'm gone, she's going to throw all this s**t out.

But, she's not stupid.  She'll sell it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 06:40:39 AM »

Good Morning, once again!

I'm up, I'm up... I'm back home... And I just made some oatmeal... And since I had some "spare" chocolate chips in the cupboard, I sprinkled a small handful on top...

And now I know that chocolate chips and oatmeal really don't mix. Blech!
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 06:42:46 AM »

Another thing I've mentioned here before:  while eBay has been a boon to collecting, I also found that it sort of killed the thrill of the chase for me.  I don't think that there's been anything that I desired that I haven't been able to find at one time or another--not to mention in one condition or another--on eBay.  Really, it seems that if one is willing to pay the price (which pretty much rules me out), everything is findable on eBay.  The only other requirement is vigilance.

When I started collecting signed lobby cards about 10 years ago, you could pick them up for next to nothing in ebay auctions.  Now, they're priced through the roof...which is probably what they ARE worth.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 06:49:06 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

First of all, I'd say I'm more of an "accumulater" rather than a collector.  However...

When Steve and I were together, we would collect... Guess what? Monkeys.  I believe it all started when Steve found out that I was born during the Year of the Monkey (Chinese Zodiac).  We didn't buy every stuffed monkey we came across - no Beanie Babies - but whenever we traveled somewhere, we tried to find at least one monkey to take back home with us.  I think we only collected about 20 monkeys, so it was a manageable collection.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 06:52:10 AM »

Good morning, all! Last night, perhaps because I was so tired, I slept the entire night with no meds. When i wke up and saw it was 8:45, I was completely floored. Of course, I may be tonight begging for meds and sleepless, so who the hell knows?

I have a trek to Toyland this morning to return a proofed score. and then I meet my loverly goddaughter Charlotte for tonight's movie. I'm quite excited about seeing the latest developments in Rowling's story line. The last two Harry potter books I have yet yo read, and this is the firsy film in the series that I haen't gone into without reading the book first.

DR TCB, what a fantastic thing for Stan to leave you! The cruise sounds fantastic and your room looks large enough to lay your hat and a few friends.

DR Druxy, I loved Al Hirschfield. He and his wife Dolly Haas were a lovely couple. I only met him a couple of times in the last two years of his life, but he was very sharp, informed, kind, and interested in a lot of things. They lived in abeautifl place in the East 80s, as I recall. I have a copy of his last book signed 12/05/91.

I collect favorite authors and music, primarily vocal and orchestra scores of theatre works, opera, operetta, ballet, and musicals. I used to collect novels that were the source of musicals, and they are all now in the Miami University Library with my librettos.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 07:00:51 AM »

As you know full well, BK, I am a big book collector.  I have something like five-six thousand books.  I don't always need first editions.  I did not collect for value necessarily.  I never bought a book I didn't intend to read.  I've still got a lot to get through, but I still intend on reading them.  I've been buying since I was about 12.  Most of the the stuff has increased in value over the years.  I have books that I bought for a couple of bucks that are now worth far more than I paid for them. 

I have several movie posters that I love and have mentioned in the past.  Sheet music, records and CDs, comic books, at one point I collected canes for awhile.  I think I have the programme of almost every play I've ever seen.

Like Dan the Man, while I've found the internet a boon in some ways in tracking down that odd item, I've found it has dampened the thrill of the chase.  You can find specific needs, but you can't make those surprise discoveries you didn't know you were looking for until upon them.

Like BK, I miss going into those musty old bookshops and sleuthing the stacks.  So often now when I go into the few remaining, so little has changed since my last visit.  In some older shops, I can go and see the gap in the shelf where I pulled down and bought a volume before.  Stock is winnowing and the overhead of maintaining a shop is just not financially worth it anymore.  Easier to put it all on the internet.  My adventure to pulp con last week was the first time I had been excited by a book fair in years.   

Also for me, as the house has filled up and I have so much, I think my own urge to collect has diminished considerably.  I am looking for less and I see less that I haven't seen or want or need before.  The thrill is, if not gone, far less compulsive than it used to be.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 07:06:42 AM »

Sunday's audience was excellent, and the cast gave a fine performance.  It was fun to do the show again for people who enjoyed what they were seeing.  Another standing ovation, and I was very happy for the cast.  They work very hard, and do an amazing job.

MAN OF LA MANCHA is not an easy show to do.....or direct for that matter....but I am glad we took it on.  Now I want to see it someplace else!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 07:07:13 AM »

A singing body part from outer space in a spoof of 50's sci fi...where do they GET these ideas?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 07:07:25 AM »

DR TCB's trip sounds fabulous!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »

I started collecting photos and lobby cards and posters because back in the day, it was the only way to remember a movie.  Now of course we can OWN the movie itself.  I do have many 8 x 10 photos, some autographed...and several lobby cards.  I also have some pressbooks.

I do like books as well....and LP's.....when I go we will have a great BIG wake and yard sale.....but I have a list of those things that should be sold as collectibles so a bit of money may be realized.

Right now my biggest investment is my Kritzerland Records limited edition CD's - many still in the shrink wrap and in MINT condition.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:13:55 AM by JRand58 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 07:16:32 AM »

Good morning!

Good grief! It's going to be 97 today! Got to 94 yesterday, and so I'm glad to have the home A/C working and free from care over the stifling conditions outside.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 07:17:50 AM »

A singing body part from outer space in a spoof of 50's sci fi...where do they GET these ideas?

And now it seems that someone up in NYC is selling Frozen Brain treats:

-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 07:18:08 AM »

Have made final plans with my friend Hal to see HARRY POTTER this afternoon, but it's a 3:20 show, so I will be very late getting back on-line this afternoon.

Laura

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 07:18:35 AM »

It's currently a lovely 75 degrees outside at 7 a.m. I have been doing a bit of yardwork. Maybe it won't get too hot today.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 07:20:22 AM »

Like DR Jose, I am more of an accumulator than a collector. I love movies, so I have accumulated hundreds of tapes, laserdisc, and DVDs over the years. I'm not trying to collect every movie ever made or anything like that. It's something I love, and I love having favorite films around to see whenever I want.

Same with books. Same with CDs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up