Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIP  (Read 47471 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE TRIP
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »

Apt 16C.

I spoke to George on the phone. He will come by Wednesday and see what needs to be done. I'm hoping he can do this now next Monday and Tuesday while I'm in DC.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »

Laura! I stopped in today because I saw something on the news... the tomb directly above Marilyn Monroe's sold on eBay for $4.6 million dollars. WoW!

Damn!  My snipe bid was $4,599,999.99.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »

Laura! I stopped in today because I saw something on the news... the tomb directly above Marilyn Monroe's sold on eBay for $4.6 million dollars. WoW!

Don't you HATE it when that happens??

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2009, 04:18:22 PM »

For a perhaps not unrelated reason, I am remembering my sister informing all of us that should she die young (which thankfully she didn't), she wanted to be buried on her stomach, as that was the way she slept.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »

Does the article say who bought it, Megan? I wonder if someone bought it for his own future use, or if someone bought it for someone else.

And they say there is a recession.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:24:35 PM by Laura »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »

If any of you has a spare $38,000,000 lying around that you might want to use for buying a little getaway place, country singer Alan Jackson's house in Franklin, TN, is for sale!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »

with the wrong appendage. 

The title of my next novel:   With the Wrong Appendage

Sounds very P.G. Wodehouse or even some sort of strange Agatha Christie.  Or Joe Gage!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »

I read a few weeks ago that Hugh Hefner purchased the spot next to it.
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »

Somehow I fell asleep while listening to Jonathan and Darlene.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2009, 04:43:09 PM »

Gosh, George....it doesn't seem likely that the mother married the brother...it seems more likely that Francis is his step-mother (despite the spelling, which might be a misspelling).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »

...she wanted to be buried on her stomach, as that was the way she slept.

My Mother's oft-expressed wish was to be buried in her night clothes. So, my Father washed up her favorite nightie and delivered them together with her slippers to the funeral director (this with my sister and my whole hearted blessing).One of the relatives made a snide remark about the closed casket arrangements, and I observed that Mom didn't receive visitors in her nightclothes. When she found out the truth she was apalled with a capital A. The same bunch of relatives made many nasty cracks about the post-funeral reception - which was the very jovial party Mom would have wanted.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2009, 04:51:01 PM »

Confirming Rodzinski will be at the party, so that'll make it a minyan of ten people, plus two corgis.

Nice, say hello from me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »

Gosh, George....it doesn't seem likely that the mother married the brother...it seems more likely that Francis is his step-mother (despite the spelling, which might be a misspelling).

Ooohhhhh...that makes much more sense. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

For a perhaps not unrelated reason, I am remembering my sister informing all of us that should she die young (which thankfully she didn't), she wanted to be buried on her stomach, as that was the way she slept.

LOL-Makes sense though.

Jane

« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »

Great story DR DerBrucer.

JMK

« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2009, 04:59:41 PM »

If any of you has a spare $38,000,000 lying around that you might want to use for buying a little getaway place, country singer Alan Jackson's house in Franklin, TN, is for sale!

Damn!  My snipe bid was $37,999,999.99.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »

! ! ! ! !  BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES TO DRs VIXMOM, WOODY & TCB  ! ! ! ! !

Thanks, Dan!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Michael

« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »

Sounds very P.G. Wodehouse or even some sort of strange Agatha Christie.  Or Joe Gage!

I had to look up George Gage.

VERY FUNNY!!!
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2009, 05:33:18 PM »

TOD:

My first "official" trip to New York City was taken as a joint anniversary(my parents)/birthday(mine) trip in 1977.

Previously, I had had a cappucino down in the Village, following a wedding in Philadelphia.  In a rented Toyota Carolla, Paul Binotto (of the OBC of DREAMGIRLS) drove me into the Village for a late-night cuppa before going back to his apartment in Jersey City.  Paul and I had been at the University of Pittsburgh together and he had attended the wedding as well.  So, unofficially, I really didn't do the town. . .

But, in 1977, my folks and I (plus a cousin from Columbia SC) took Amtrak from Pittsburgh to NYC.  That train ride was a train wreck of a ride!  It was shortly after a hurricane, Agnes I think, had devasted Johnstown PA, so what should have been a shorter train ride took thirteen hours!  None of us were pleased, and once we checked into the hotel - Holiday Inn on W. 57th - we cancelled our return trip by train and booked flights out of JFK instead.

Fortunately, our plans were made much in advance, leaving our arrival day/night, for dinner and settling into the hotel, so nothing was lost.

Naturally, we did the touristy things during the days:  Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, NBC tour, Tiffany's. . .

At night, we went our separate ways to theaters. 
My first Broadway show was THE SHADOW BOX at The Morosco Theater.
My folks and cousin saw SHENANDOAH at The Mark Hellinger.

Ate at Sardi's following the shows.

The next night, I saw SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM (original cast) at THE MUSIC BOX while my folks and cousin went off to The Uris for Yul Brynner in THE KING AND I.

After those shows, we went to Windows on the World for a late dinner atop of the very new World Trade Center.

Saturday's matinee, we all saw Liv Ullman in ANNA CHRISTIE at The Imperial.

That evening, we saw ANNIE at The Alvin, and there was a ticketing problem. . .Dad's Visa was charged for our four tickets, but the box office was only holding THREE tickets under our name!  Now ANNIE was the hot ticket, having just swept away the Tony Awards the week before, and after much polite bickering, the box office gave us a house seat in the orchestra, which we decided that my cousin and I would share.  She took the seat for Act One, I took it for the second act.

In between shows, we ate at that fabulous Italian restaurant next to the Longacre Theater - Mama Lucia's (?)

We didn't venture onto a subway the whole trip, but relied on taxis and feet.

I fell in love with the town that trip - the noise, the hum, the odors, the sights, the theaters just the whole thing.

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »

A few dear readers here could tell you more than you need to know about Joe Gage, DR Michael Shayne. . . ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »

Can't wait for Wednesday as I would probably forget about them by then.

THREE QUESTIONS FOR BK

I have been watching the Two's Company DVD and had to go on-line to refresh my memory where certain songs were from.

In the Variety review, it said that Kevin Spirtas sang "Proud Lady" but it is not on the DVD. Why not?

And for curiosity sake
Also there were several singers listed as appearing, but they did not. Were their songs dropped or were they given to others?

And I may have missed your answer yesterday, but who sings You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To on The Fortune Cookie soundtrack?
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »

My first trip to New York was in March of 1969.  My friend Sandy and I were chosen to represent our college radio station at the National Collegiate Broadcasting Convention in Washington DC.  Sandy's folks had a travel agent than manged to book us through NY, then to Washington, and then back to Seattle for less than the college was paying for round trip to Washington.  So we flew into JFK, stayed free for four days in a little walk-up apartment on Bleeker Street in the Village that was owned by our collegiate advertising agency.  The little walk-up had the bathtub in the kitchen, a chain pull toilet that was literally in a little closet, and it even had a piano in the living room that they had spray-painted black; and the paint came off on every piece of clothing that I brought with me.  It was also just around the corner from the Sullivan Street Theater where THE FANTASTICKS was playing.

We went to see HELLO DOLLY with Pearl Bailey and the All-Black Cast, the original cast of BOYS IN THE BAND, the Easter Show at Radio City Music Hall (plus THE LOVE BUG), and we attended a week of tapings for the show SAY WHEN, which was NBC's version of PASSWORD.  After the tapings we did interviews for the radio station with Johnny Olson, Nipsy Russell (an A**hole), Ed McMahon, and I think the female celebrity was Connie Hines from MR. ED.  And one night we got very wasted on beer at Your Father's Moustache, and then stupidly walked back to our place in the Village.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »

I had to look up George Gage.

VERY FUNNY!!!

And I missed my chance to meet him at the 2008 Ashland Independent Film Festival.

Ginny

« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »

We are back from Cincinnati, where we received another Vibe-load of DS Rob's belongings.  My dishwasher is going to get quite a workout in the next couple of days  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »

DR TCB I would have loved to see Pearl Bailey in Hello Dolly.  Was she wonderful?

Jane

« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »

My dishwasher is going to get quite a workout in the next couple of days  :P

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2009, 07:00:23 PM »

DR TCB I would have loved to see Pearl Bailey in Hello Dolly.  Was she wonderful?

She was incredible.  And after the curtain call, she stayed out on stage and did another thirty minutes.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »

Oh we also went to see THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW with a very drunk Eddie Fisher and a young British actor named Malcom McDowell.
“One thing’s universal,

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »

Michael S-

"You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To" Singer in The Fortune Cookie is JUDI WEST.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2009, 07:11:07 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up