Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CALIFORNIA, HERE I COME  (Read 57144 times)

Ben

Re: CALIFORNIA, HERE I COME
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »

Right now, I'm listening to Joe Papp (yes, that Joe Papp) sing "Please Don't Monkey with Broadway," written for the film, Broadway Melody of 1940.

Just had to share. :)

That number was a bitch to record and Joe Papp was a complete creep!

Oh, my! :-\

Little Caesar, mafia don, with henchmen and all. And as friendly and cuddly as barbed wire. The rest is for the memoirs.

With everything that you're going to put in the memoirs, can't you do a volume one...and sooner rather than later?? ;)

LOL!

Actually, DR George, you should subscribe to the Castrecl list; I wrote about that McGlinn recording a couple of weeks ago.

Actually, I had subscribed to the Castrecl list years ago and unsubscribed for some reason.  A couple of years ago (or was it just last year?), I resubscribed but there were so many e-mails, I couldn't keep up.  I unsubscribed again. :-\

George, you can subscribe and get what's called the Digest Version. They send out one e-mail a day a bit after noon and it contains all the e-mails posted during that 24 hour period. I knew that was the way to go. A regular subscription is just too many e-mails for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »

Everyone I talked to on the trail today said they were a bit jumpy at sounds-lol. 

I saw the scat on my way out, and shortly after a group mentioned they saw some I had missed earlier.  Not long after spying in the scat I heard noises in the woods.  I know from experience the sounds were not loud enough to be a bear, and that area tends to make creaking sounds, still I turned around and ran out of there.  Nothing like following the directions that say DON'T RUN. ;D  I figured it was too late since I was already jogging when I heard the noises.  Fortunately I had Sherlock attached to the leash right then. 

So then a bear really does sh%& in the woods

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2009, 06:36:22 PM »

LOL, this wasn't "IN" the woods, it was on the trail between the house with the pear tree and the creek.  I suppose technically it might be considered in the woods

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

Right now, I'm listening to Joe Papp (yes, that Joe Papp) sing "Please Don't Monkey with Broadway," written for the film, Broadway Melody of 1940.

Just had to share. :)

That number was a bitch to record and Joe Papp was a complete creep!

Oh, my! :-\

Little Caesar, mafia don, with henchmen and all. And as friendly and cuddly as barbed wire. The rest is for the memoirs.

With everything that you're going to put in the memoirs, can't you do a volume one...and sooner rather than later?? ;)

LOL!

Actually, DR George, you should subscribe to the Castrecl list; I wrote about that McGlinn recording a couple of weeks ago.

Actually, I had subscribed to the Castrecl list years ago and unsubscribed for some reason.  A couple of years ago (or was it just last year?), I resubscribed but there were so many e-mails, I couldn't keep up.  I unsubscribed again. :-\ 

George, you can subscribe and get what's called the Digest Version. They send out one e-mail a day a bit after noon and it contains all the e-mails posted during that 24 hour period. I knew that was the way to go. A regular subscription is just too many e-mails for me.

I forgot about that...I'll try it.  Thanks!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »

I think I'd just not walk on the trail while there were still bear sightings.

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2009, 06:37:59 PM »

You have to be a bit careful with raccoons.  They can carry rabies

Cillaliz

« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2009, 06:38:52 PM »

But they are cute.  They can also do lots of damage if they get in your attic (ask my parents) or under your porch (ask my parents) lol.  They've had lots of raccoon issues  but they are cute

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »

DR George, here's what I posted on castrecl:
My largest band was for the Joseph Papp "Please Don't Monkey With Broadway," but because Mr Papp was a rather unfriendly pain in the ass at the session, we ended up recording in the
key I'd scored it, not the key it was copied in and the key we were told was the key for Mr Papp by his musical director, and the pianist lost a lot of chromatic runs because he couldn't sightread fast enough to transpose it correctly!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »

I think I'd just not walk on the trail while there were still bear sightings.

I see scat on our road and I've HEARD a bear in the woods along side the road.  I gotta hike someplace.  At least I see other people on the trails.

Cillaliz

« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »

DR Jane, I'm not criticizing at all.  I'm just saying I'd stay home. But then, I'm not a hiker, so that wouldn't be difficult for me

George

« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2009, 06:48:01 PM »

DR George, here's what I posted on castrecl:
My largest band was for the Joseph Papp "Please Don't Monkey With Broadway," but because Mr Papp was a rather unfriendly pain in the ass at the session, we ended up recording in the
key I'd scored it, not the key it was copied in and the key we were told was the key for Mr Papp by his musical director, and the pianist lost a lot of chromatic runs because he couldn't sightread fast enough to transpose it correctly!

Very interesting.  Thanks for the info.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »

*I think I might actually know the "Kyle" at the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel. 

"know" in the euphemistic sense?    ;)

Only under my assumed name(s).
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »

Several years ago on the west side of Olympia, there were reports of cats being attacked and killed by raccoons!

:o

No joke!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2009, 06:58:28 PM »

Ben Dover? :-*
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »

DR Jane, if you saw my post yesterday i mentioned that where i bike there is a forrest that has signs with pictures of bears, rabbits, and foxes.

Well today i was biking and these two kids were biking. And i hear one kid look at the picture of the bear and tell the other kid "um there are bears in this forrest!" (poor little kid).

Anyhow the other kid turns to him and says (and i believe this too), "no there are no bears or foxes, but maybe a rabbit or two".

Poor little kid. Seeing that sign must have freaked him out. I know i didn't like the sign!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »

Forest = Trees

Forrest = Actor

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:44 PM »

Ben Dover? :-*

Pat McGroin
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2009, 07:12:12 PM »

Phil McKracken
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »

DR Jane, I'm not criticizing at all.  I'm just saying I'd stay home. But then, I'm not a hiker, so that wouldn't be difficult for me

LOL-I didn't think you were criticizing.  I go batty & gain weight if I don't get out, and Sherlock needs his exercise.  It is just a way of life here & the bear sightings are a reminder of that.  I do wish I had a friend to go with.  One woman on the trail said she keeps talking to her dog so she won't surprise the bear and I've also been doing that.  Sherlock thinks it is fun I keep telling him what a good boy he is. :)

Jane

« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »

Several years ago on the west side of Olympia, there were reports of cats being attacked and killed by raccoons!

:o

No joke!!

I've had friends who have lost cats & rabbits to raccoons.

George

« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »

Well, it's time for me to head home.

Have a good rest of the evening, all.

Jane

« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »

DR Jennifer I did see your post.  Poor kid.  I hope he believed the rabbit line.  Do you know what kind of bears they are?  Black bears, if you gotta have them, are much better than Grisly Bears. 

Jane

« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2009, 07:16:25 PM »

Cute DR Jose.:)

Cillaliz

« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2009, 07:16:36 PM »

LOL-I didn't think you were criticizing.  I go batty & gain weight if I don't get out, and Sherlock needs his exercise.  It is just a way of life here & the bear sightings are a reminder of that.  I do wish I had a friend to go with.  One woman on the trail said she keeps talking to her dog so she won't surprise the bear and I've also been doing that.  Sherlock thinks it is fun I keep telling him what a good boy he is. :)

You could always sing really loud

td

• td
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2009, 07:17:10 PM »

DR td I have never read a Daniel Silva novel.  Have you read them all?

I have indeed read each and every Daniel Silva novel.  I am thoroughly addicted to them.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2009, 07:17:28 PM »

DR Jennifer I did see your post.  Poor kid.  I hope he believed the rabbit line.  Do you know what kind of bears they are?  Black bears, if you gotta have them, are much better than Grisly Bears. 

I prefer gummi bears or teddy bears :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »

I went to this great bakery today that's known for it's Dutch pastries.  But they had this stuff called spaghetti bread. It smelled so good i just HAD to get some.  MAN it's great. i had never heard of it before.

I also bought some cream filled cupcakes with a great fall theme

Laura

« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »

What is this spaghetti bread you speak of?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »

When I got back I watched the season finale of ROYAL PAINS while I ate lunch. Good season closer. I was sure they were going to send Hank into the arms of the blonde girl he was treating. Glad they didn't go there (yet).

I hope not at all.  It was a very short season for this show, and for all the summer shows.  I've been browsing NetFlix for old tv shows and British shows. 

Any suggestions on British shows?

I'm not the person to ask (though I'm flattered you did. I barely have time to stay up on American television.) Perhaps Charles Pogue has some suggestions.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »

You could always sing really loud

I could, but then other hikers might hear me and I wouldn't want to make them suffer.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up