Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?  (Read 34970 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?
« on: April 01, 2004, 12:02:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what foolish things are expected, so put on your fool's cap and post foolish postings all the livelong day.  We want to see the most foolishly foolish posts on all the Internet.  And a happy foolish birthday to sometimes lurker VinTek!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 12:36:55 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 12:16:09 AM »

DearReaderLaura - Has your morning sickness returned this year? :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 02:59:38 AM »

I'm always amazed when folks fall for that one, Jed.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 05:29:28 AM »

Good morning, all!  Has anyone else this morning had a hard time getting this site to load in?  I had a devil of a time.

My most foolish action, which turned out quite well, was telephoning BK and begging him to hire me.  Since I tend to perform foolish acts every day, April 1 seems like an ordinary day for me, but I will mention some foolish songs I like a lot:

My Foolish Heart (Victor Young)
My Foolish Heart (Kurt Weill)
These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)
April Fooled Me
What Kind of Fool Am I
The Fool on the Hill
Fools Rush In
What Kind of Fool Am I

What about April songs:
Little April Shower
April Showers
April in Fairbanks
April Love
April in Paris

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 05:31:06 AM »

And I posted "What Kind of Fool Am I" twice!

WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I??????????????????
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 05:39:01 AM »

Good morning all.

First, I'm so sorry Ann/Jane.  I did it again.  It's like when I type Shrill instead of Shill.  I don't know why I DO that.  

I'm home from work today.  I've been up all night with a tooth ache.  I'm calling the dentist as soon as he opens and pray he can take me early.  My Aprils Fool joke may be on me because I might be one tooth short by tonight.  

I'm sorry to be a baby about this but GOD does this HURT.  I don't think the kidney stones were this bad.  It's been hurting since the weekend but not like this.  I made an appointment with the dentist on Monday  for 3:30 today thinking it wasn't that bad but now it's THAT bad.    I want the DENTIST[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] N*O*W !!!![/move]

I called to try to get in sooner but he's booked soild.  Thank GOD I made the appointment when I did.

As for the chart, I don't know what they used. I only know the guy said I was one point over for my age/height but that was no problem.  

As for when I've embarrased myself.  Gee, so much to pick from.  The latest being last night when I confused Jane/Ann.  AGAIN! :-[
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 05:59:15 AM »

For DR Jane: I found the millie tour information for you.

(the website is modernmillietour.com):

http://www.modernmillietour.com/tourlocations.php

SEATTLE
Opens: 03-16-2004 - Closes: 04-04-2004

PORTLAND
Opens: 04-06-2004 - Closes: 04-11-2004

SAN JOSE
Opens: 04-13-2004 - Closes: 05-02-2004

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 06:01:50 AM »

Hey DR Danise: Good tooth vibes ~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 06:03:50 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 06:05:24 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL:

I always like to try to figure out the bottom three by where the contestants are sitting.  When Ryan started I knew Amy Adams was going to be one of the three (because Fantasia, George and JPL weren't leaving).

Ryan did trick me at the end. Cause Camille and John S were sitting at the end. But he did Diana, then went to Camille (to tell her she was safe). Then it was between LaToya and John S for the bottom 3.

I know LaToya is better. But I was hoping it would be her (since I knew she would be the first person to go sit down and be safe).

Red-headed John S looked stunned when LaToya's name was called instead of his.  The voters are clearly nuts because people like Jon Peter and red-head John are never in the bottom 3 even when they are bad (I do love them both, but ...).

So it was Jennifer Hudson, LaToya and Amy, with Amy leaving.

I felt bad for her. But of the 3, I liked her the least.  And to me, she never had a chance to win.

I was stunned Camille wasn't in the bottom three.

But at least LaToya being in the bottom three this week means her fans will probably rally next week.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 06:16:24 AM by Jennifer »

Ben

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 06:17:55 AM »

Seems to be OK now but I did have a difficult time getting into the board this morning.

I'll have to hunt in the recesses of my memory to come up with a foolish incident. I think I have buried them all.

Twentieth Century last night was servicable, nothing more. The sets and costumes were very nice. I liked the design but then I'm a sucker for 1930s looks. The performances ranged from OK to one note loud. I don't know why Dan Butler (who was wonderful in his one man show The Only Thing Worse You Could Have Told Me) was doing a not very good and not very consistent Irish accent. Julie Halston was the best person in the show, IMHO. Both Baldwin and Heche seemed to be yelling the entire time. I know that both characters are over the top and wild, loopy people but there was no range. When you come in on your first entrance at the top, there's no place to go. I didn't see Heche in Proof. She was supposed to be wonderful. I wish I had seen her so I could have something to judge her by because this performance isn't much more than mugging and funny faces and loud voices. I don't know the original script but I know this version was cut and re-written by Ken Ludwig (Lend Me a Tenor). There are some very funny lines but frankly, I prefer the musical version of the show (On the 20th Century).

And now I must get back to work.

Danise

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 06:19:36 AM »

Thank you,  Jennifer.    

If they do pull it, I wonder if I should put it under my pillow tonight.  What's the going rate for the tooth fairy?   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 06:23:42 AM »

I have the entire $50 pledged but I won't collect it until we're ready to send in the forms.  I will find out where to get the forms and proceed from there.  I know we have until November for books published in 2004, but I'll get started now.

BK - Do we have to wait for the Broadway World interview for the answers to yesterday's questions?

Jose - Who is in the DC ELEGIES?  Is it a local cast?  The NY cast featured Betty Buckley, Carolee Carmello and more.  I went because of the cast but found the material wonderful.  A lot of it was done in the Finn concert this week.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 07:22:34 AM »

Good morning. I finally got a decent night's sleep. Feels good.

GOOD TEETH VIBES, DANISE!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 07:39:05 AM »

DR Ben,

I always enjoy the reviews at HHW. Thanks for all yours. I think I've seen Anne Heche in only Six Days, Seven Nights. Her performance in that movie sounds much like the one you saw in 20th Century - loud, mugging, funny faces.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 07:49:38 AM »

DR WEL check out PulitzerPrize.org I think the forms are there....but since 2003 will be announced on April 4 - you might want to wait until the rush of activity for that is over! Don't want to get lost!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2004, 07:51:46 AM »

TCB TCB TCB - before you leave do a Google search for Free Internet Service....  Juno has one.  It has lots of popups BUT it's free and you can stay online w/o paying a monthly fee!!!

There are several others as well.  As I said LOTS of popups and a bit slow, but FREE and you still have the WWW!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 08:00:56 AM »

OMG!

They have found the alternate camera shots for the I LOVE LUCY shows, about half of them!  They printed everything the 3 cameras shot!  We are going to have some ALTERNATE universe Lucy shows!  OMG!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2004, 08:05:22 AM »

I was stunned by all three of last night's bottom three on IDOL. They are among the best singers there and they are three singers who almost never go flat when they sing. Amy has been shooting herself in the foot by trying too many head voice notes when her power is in her chest voice. In Jennifer's case, America just does not like her attitude, I don't think. She's an excellent singer and probably the least vocally affected of the three black divas, but I don't think she'll last much longer even with excellent performances. Obviously, voters are phoning in for their favorites based on things other than vocal ability.

It certainly should be a wake-up call for Latoya's fans. Last year, Ruben got put in the bottom three one week, and the audience and judges were so stunned they could hardly speak. Last night's shock about Latoya being there was also obvious. I didn't care for her song this week, but she so obviously outsang John and Camile that it's ridiculous. But now her fans see that if they want her to progress, they've got to vote for her and not for "another" favorite.

I think John Stevens expected to be gone last night and the multiple times the camera focused on his face registered first his look of resignation to his fate and then the simply stunned realization that he did not get voted off even with the worst vocal performance I've ever heard on the show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2004, 08:09:10 AM »

I've done lots of stupid and foolish things in my life, but none monumental enough to spin a story here worth reading. Sorry.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2004, 08:38:24 AM »

Same here MATTH.  

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2004, 08:40:57 AM »

MattH re: last night's American Idol.

I think people are simply voting for their favorites and not basing it all on Tuesday night's performance.  I actually think this is a good way to look at it.  If one of the better singers has a bad night, I don't think they should automatically be voted off.

But that said, it is troublesome when people's favorites aren't as good as some of the others.  I have that problem.  But luckily for them, I cannot vote. :)

Btw, I can easily explain why performers who never go flat get eliminated (over those with who do and who have terrible pitch problems ...)

Think of who is voting.  If you think they know about pitch ... they don't!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 08:42:49 AM by Jennifer »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2004, 08:40:59 AM »

My favorite "fool" song -- "The April Fools"!  

Last night's "American Idol" was shocking!

Shocking, I say!

Simply shocking!

That Camile and John were left sitting with the rest of the field while three vastly superior talents were on the chopping block is a disgrace.

Both Camile's fans and John Stevens' fans are making their idols into jokes.

The camera on John Stevens' face last night revealed the raw emotion he was feeling -- about sitting down while LaToya was in the bottom three.  He KNEW it was his time to go and he KNEW the three ladies are far better than he is at this stage.  It was gratifying to see that acknowledgement on his face.  

Camile, as usual, offered a blank stare, along with another hideous hairdon't!

And thank the stars that whatever JPL had done to his hair Tuesday night wasn't permanent.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 08:45:11 AM »

Hey, re: Camille (does her name have one L or two?).

I cannot figure out why she wasn't in the bottom three.  I didn't think she had many fans.  Hasn't she been in the bottom 3 every week?

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2004, 08:47:14 AM »

Anyone can have an off night, and I wouldn't hold it against any singer for one bad night or one bad song choice that didn't reflect the colors of their voice.

That said, when someone like Camile who hasn't had a SINGLE good night gets voted back week after week, it's pretty demoralizing. I read on another site that with her and Jasmine both being from Hawaii, there is a huge block of Hawaiians voting for them each week regardless of how well or poorly they did. With Camile almost getting voted off last week, I guess they really came out in force and may keep her around much longer while better singers get the shaft. Criminal, but as Simon said last night, when you turn the voting over to the public, you have to live with the decision. I can and will. But I don't have to like it.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2004, 08:52:26 AM »

Most foolish thing I've ever done: said "no, thank you" to Harold Prince, not once - but THREE, count 'em, THREE times. Third time's the charm. He never asked me again... Oh, if I knew then what I know now.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 08:53:55 AM »

and tying that one: same arrogant "no, thanks" to Paul Gemignani, with same result. oy, what kind of fool am I????
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2004, 09:08:17 AM »

More foolish stories - silly or not.

Yes, the answers for the interview will appear on broadwayworld.com (and its appropriate other sites - DVD and books) very soon, maybe even tomorrow.  I will keep you posted if you keep posting.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2004, 09:08:47 AM »

My friend TimB is going to join HHW!!!  He is a pianist and musical type person.   Lots of fun....say hi to Tim when he shows up!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2004, 09:12:33 AM »

[glow=Lime Green,2,300]Pain Relieving Vibes For Danise[/glow]

For the past five or six years, I've spent a week during the summer or fall at  the Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, NY.  Omega is a sort of holistic learning center/retreat/spa/spiritual center that's located along a small lake.  My favorite way to end a day there is to sit by myself at the lake beach and take in the quiet beauty of the night.  It's not a totally isolated area at that time of night--other guests occaisionally come by, young couples do some makin' out, and there's also a camp ground nearby--but it's peaceful enough to be alone with your thoughts for a while.  The first week I ever spent up there co-incided with a waxing full moon which was absolutely beautiful to behold.  On my last night there, when the moon was at her peak, I got up from my bench on the beach and danced for her.  With full abandon and joy.  I was not Astaire or Kelly or Travolta or even Jerry Lewis, for that matter.  And there may or may not have been other people there, but I didn't care.  The moon seemed to like it.  And it was just such a rush to let go like that.  Not exactly the most foolish thing I've ever done, but one that I look back most fondly on.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2004, 09:14:25 AM »

I just read an advanced review for the DVD release of THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH that said the transfer is so jaw-droppingly gorgeous that it looks like Paramount used the same ultra-resolution process on it that Warners used on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN and THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. They couldn't have, of course, but it does make one anxious to see the DVD, even if one, like me, isn't a great fan of the movie.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up