Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BK SANS COMPUTER  (Read 45633 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BK SANS COMPUTER
« on: April 02, 2004, 12:34:26 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, so now it's time to keep the home fries burning until my computer returns.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 12:04:07 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:BK SANS COMPUTER
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 01:07:00 AM »

Good morning!

I have no idea why I'm still up at this hour... well, I think it's basically because I can, so...  but my bed is calling me, so...

Sorry I missed you guys yesterday... Slept in way too late, and spent the afternoon taking care of "real life" stuff - bills, e-mails, phone calls, etc.  Then the show.  -And still no review in the Post - although, from the looks of it, it looks like the reviewer was up in NYC this week, so...

Media Check - All CDs: Michael McDonald's "Motown", Mikhail Pletnev playing Schumann, and the WONDERFUL TOWN revival cast recording (Donna Murphy).

Other than that, it's been NPR on the radio... And I can't believe the voice of Morning Edition has been "fired"!?!?!  Just won't be the same.

I'll catch up on posts later today...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 01:08:23 AM »

DVD: Barbra: The Concert

CD: Joan Ryan, Andryan Russ
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 01:16:38 AM »

I'm still up - 1 AM - all alone here. :-[

When you early birds on the East Coast log on... Remember poor bk - at home without his trusty computer - wondering what wonderful things are being discussed at HHW. So DRs, when he does get his computer back - all cleaned up and perfect and ready to go - let's make sure that he has pages of scintillating, delectable posts to savor. Meanwhile, I have to channel bk and say things like "Damn them, damn them all to hell!" and "Where in tarnation is everyone?"  (Actually, at this moment, I know the answer to that one: IN BED. Which is where I'm going.) Remember - lots of lovely posts!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 01:50:42 AM by Panni »

Robin

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 03:48:50 AM »

This week's media check:

In the CD player: McQ by Lalo Schifrin Elmer Bernstein.  

In the deeveedee player: Penn & Teller: Bullshit!, Hellcats of the Navy, and Cronos.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 04:08:11 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's 7:05 am on the East Coast, and I have to do some work on Rodgers & Hart's "Manhattan" for a pops symphony gig.  I've got three songs to do right now - "Manhattan," "I Wish I Were In Love Again" and "Could You Use Me" - so I won't be watching much  this weekend.  I will be listening, so I have several CDs courtesy of DRS TD and MBarnum that I'm enjoying at the moment.

I just got dear friend BK's movie "Naked Space," which I've never seen, on DVD, and as a fan of "First Nudie Musical," I cannot wait to see it.  That's most likely for Monday night, depending on how far I get with the three numbers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 04:49:41 AM »

I'm listening to Wicked right now. I burned a copy for the office, and then a second copy, because I'm having problems with my burner (computer problems seem to be going around). The first two numbers have some interference but the rest of the disc seems to be playing without problem. I will have to try it on the actual CD player.

Anthony is working on a very low-budget indie film and his pick up call tomorrow is for 5am. They are shooting up state about 3 hours from the city so it will be an early night at Chez B&A. His call for Monday is also 5am. Oh, well. Two early nights won't kill us.

Dave in the valley

• Petey says "Hello from Hollywood!"
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 05:06:29 AM »

Hey Jane- I'm glad you like Petey. He is a dalmation/black lab mix (our vet says there is some greyhound in him). All his brothers and sisters (born in the pound) were all black with white paws. We found him on the internet! He weighs 56 pounds, and he is just over 1 year old. He LOVES to run and jump and fetch.
Dave in the Valley

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 05:25:50 AM »

COME-HOME-FREDDY VIBES
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 05:26:31 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 05:40:45 AM »

I have to do some work on Rodgers & Hart's "Manhattan" for a pops symphony gig.  I've got three songs to do right now - "Manhattan," "I Wish I Were In Love Again" and "Could You Use Me"

Three delightful numbers indeed, Elmore!  I hope you enjoy the work.

Does anyone have any idea who is responsible for the arrangement of Could You Use Me in Crazy For You?  (It's paired with Shall We Dance.)  I had to play the damn thing in February and found it to be a prime example of taking a great comedy song are surgically removing all the humor.

Dvd: Finding Nemo
Cd: I gave the John/Rice Aida a chance this week, but couldn't get through the whole thing.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 06:15:39 AM »

CD - I've been collecting the Pearl composer series which features original cast performances from about 1910 to 1950 and I just got some of the Gershwin, Rodgers & Heart and Romberg.  Also WEIRD ROMANCE in preperation for this week's Mufti.

DVD - I just got the 3 disc Jack Paar collection featuring the recent PBS documentary, 3 complete Paar shows (including one with Judy Garland, but not the one that is in the documentary), and several complete interviews and monologues.  Also the AMERICAN GRAFITTI/MORE AMERICAN GRAFITTI combo.

VHS - Nothing

It's Karen Ziemba month in New York.  This week she stars in Mufti's WEIRD ROMANCE; in two weeks she is heading the cast of Town Hall's BROADWAY BY THE YEAR 1949; and it was just announced that she will be playing Rose in Encore!'s BYE BYE BIRDIE.  Ms. Ziemba has always been a favorite of mine.  She's not just a dancer who sings, an actresses who dances or a singer who acts.  She's all three!

If you've ever been to the Times Square TKTS in NY, you know that there are always people walking the line passing out flyers from shows and trying to convince people to see them.  Well now GYPSY has done them one better.  The cast of the show is doing this and since they started their TKTS sales have supposedly doubled.  There was an article in the Times yesterday about this.  One tourist said something to the effect that "of course I love Bernadette, but now that I have met so-and-so  [I forgot the name] I'm going to see him".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 07:02:24 AM »

CD (work): The Tap Dance Kid

CD (home): Empty

Tape Deck (Car): Old Compilation tape.  (Obviously made during the 79-80 season, as songs from BALLROOM and THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG are the most recent things on it....)

DVD: Empty

VCR: blank tape set for tonight's JOAN OF ARCADIA

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 07:10:15 AM »

BK here

I popped over to wfo's office on the Island of Long to use his computer, because there is an absolute dearth of posts, and I cannot tolerate a dearth.  Dearths are unseemly.  We shall have no dearths here.  Where in tarnation is everyone?  Come and cow till the posts come home and dispell this dearth forthwith.

I expect to see a surfeit of posts by the time I get back to LA.  Or at the very least, by the time I get to Phoenix.  And no dearths, not a one.  Only surfeits.  Dearths are unseemly.  Surfeits are seemly.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 07:12:16 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 07:11:42 AM »

Oh, it's April Second.

Never mind.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 07:20:52 AM »

Surfeit's up!
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 07:32:58 AM »

AM I TALKING TO MYSELF HERE?

Where is my surfeit?  We need a three-ring surfeit at the very least.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 07:35:16 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004, 07:38:23 AM »

Mbarnum I enjoyed your personal history of the Ginger Rogers Craterian Theater. Thanks

Robin I like your new pic. ;)

Dan in the Valley it must be fun to have a dog that fetches.  Echo rarely can catch.  She will fetch a few times but then we have to bribe her to continue.  The game just isn’t fun for us.  On the other-hand, she found my cell phone in the fields, on command.

CONTINUED GOOD VIBES FOR FREDDY’S SAFE RETURN!!!

WFO-LOL

CD: Linda Ronstsadt with Nelson Riddle
DVD: 21 Grams
TIVO: Joan of Acadia

Jane

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 07:39:03 AM »

WFO no, but I can't stay long
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 07:39:34 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2004, 07:42:16 AM »

Dan (the Man) thanks for the interesting Jordon Almond info.   :)

Jane

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2004, 08:04:24 AM »

WFO I stayed to keep you company but seems you have left me talking to myself.  ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 08:15:30 AM »

Hey good computer vibes for BK. ~~~~~~~~

And good kitty vibes to DC Freddy.  I really hope you find him today. ~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 08:20:32 AM by Jennifer »

Panni

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 08:22:14 AM »

Good Morning!
WFO has a good idea going there. As long as bk is E&T (with good reason, as it's hard to post without a computer - I tried once and no matter how loud I banged the pots, nobody heard me...) ...As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by...me, while bk is E&T we should post as he would were he taking over OUR computer in our home/office/whatever locale. ...Just a thought DRs. I'm the designated cheerleader today and I'd hate to be embarrassed by having my cheerleading abilities fail dismally.
Soooo - I'm putting on my cute little white skirt and red top with a giant "P" for Panni. Here come my darling white socks with a red bow on the side.... And the pompoms, of course...  Ready?
Give me a   P!  ;D
Give me an O! ;)
Give me an S! :)
Give me a   T! :D

What've we got?  ....TSOP! (This is where I do the splits.  :o )

So TSOP your little hearts out everyone and save me from humilitation  :-\ !    

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2004, 08:22:49 AM »

Re: Last night's Survivor

I totally thought that Rob was gonna blow the challenge on purpose to save Amber.  But that would not have been easy since the entire group got to answer the trivia questions.  I was very impressed that he made a deal with Lex on the sly (speaking to another tribe member is not allowed).  And I was so happy that Jerri got voted out.

Panni

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2004, 08:29:56 AM »

CD - Anita O'Day - Young Anita (4 CD set) - The Solo Sides
DVD - STILL broken
VCR - Director's cut of a film for TV

Jane

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2004, 08:37:27 AM »

P :)
O ;)
S :D
T ;D

Panni you make a great cheerleader! :)

I'm rushing around getting my house presentable for company.  Our, soon to be, new  neighbor s dropping in this morning so we can meet.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2004, 08:41:15 AM »

I'm aghast.

Aghast...and a little agape.

Maybe more than a little agape, but only a tad bit agog.

And still aghast!

BK has said he does not find Rozsa's "Diana" to be top-drawer Rozsa.  

And I have to say I think it one of his most glorious, ravishingly beautiful, scores.  

It's not "Ben-Hur," or "El Cid" or "King of Kings" or "Quo Vadis" or "Ivanhoe" or "Knights of the Round Table", no.  It's not that kind of historical spectacle.  But for the kind of historical spectacle it is, a love story set in the courts of France, it's far more lavish and beautiful than it ought to have been.

The main theme to "Diane" is one of the most exquisite things Rozsa ever wrote and it's woven generously into the score.

But that's me....not BK....and that's okay.  

I'm just aghast is all.....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2004, 08:52:04 AM »

I agree, DR Panni is a good cheerleader!

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2004, 08:53:33 AM »

Hey shouldn't we be on Page Two yet? :(

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2004, 09:04:06 AM »

I honestly don't know HOW we existed before we got home computers. I bought my first one simply for the word processing aspect of it. I was reviewing films at the time free lance and writing them on the fly in the typewriter making tons of mistakes and having to use white-out or re-type things to get it as readable as possible for my editor. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got my first computer, but I never expected I'd be doing anything with it except writing. But after that came games and then a 1200 baud modem, and the rest is history. Now, I spend hours a day on the internet alone and that doesn't count the writing, photo editing, game playing, etc. that I also do with it. Amazing how we come to depend on these tools. Can't imagine life without one frankly (which is why I have more than one here).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2004, 09:06:12 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - AVENUE Q (OCR)

DVD - LOST IN TRANSLATION and ANGEL Season 2.

DVR - last night's WILL & GRACE

laserdisc - THE NUN'S STORY

(Hey, Warners, how about offering us up a remastered widescreen DVD of this classic film. We can have Audrey's WAIT UNTIL DARK from you but not the exquisite NUN'S STORY?)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up