Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD  (Read 33691 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD
« on: April 03, 2004, 12:03:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've become jazzified by the notes and beautified by the notes and now you are ready to post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 12:01:40 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 12:06:04 AM »

And do keep the home fries burning until my early afternoon return, won't you?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 12:17:11 AM »

Good topic. So many films I'd like to have been on the set of...  Although being on the set is actually pretty boring for the most part... let's see...
CASABLANCA. Everyone confused, not knowing what the hell was going on or how the fershluganah movie was going to end.
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY - because, as I've said many times before, I loved Monty Clift.
THE WIZARD OF OZ - no need to explain that one.
Maybe take a trip to Rome and be on the set of some of the early (or even not early - AMARCORD) Fellini films. Oh yes! Now that wouldn't be a boring set. Must learn Italian for that one.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 12:20:36 AM »

BK, you must give me your computer guy's name and phone for future reference.

I bet the film set of BECKETT would have been fun...O'Toole, Burton, Gielgud, and even Donald Wolfit.

Also GUNGA DIN & my fav, ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 12:22:47 AM »

One specific Fellini set to add: bk introduced me to THE WHITE SHEIK some time ago. Now there's a set I'd like to have visited. There's a world I'd like to have entered. If you haven't seen that delicious film - do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 01:01:15 AM »

On location with "Don't Look Now" and "Room with A View" would be great. "Tea With Mussolini" might have been interesting too.
Please note: No mention of Kevin Spacey and the shower scene!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dave in the valley

• Petey says "Hello from Hollywood!"
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 04:12:42 AM »

I would have held my breath until I turned blue to been on the sets of:
   Titanic - for the sets- the mock-up and the underwater scenes visiting the real ship would have been way interesting.
   Metropolis - Fritz Lang's Abstract Expressionist sets of future cities and large underground factories must have been awesome and scary to see.
   Oliver! - I'd love to have been there, on every set for every second of every shot! (I was about Twist's age then, too).
   The Sound of Music - Austria. Ms. Andrews. A no brainer.
   And the winner is:
   The Shining- I know most of the time was spent with Stanley making Shelly cry over and over and over and over, but I'd love to see Jack be Jack, and the haunting Overlook Hotel sets at Shepperton, and the exterior shots of the Rockies, shot at Glacier National Park starting the movie off above Lake MacDonald then picking up with the puke yellow volkswagon driving below on the on the Going-to-the-Sun-Road, which incidentaly, I fly directly over in my Microsoft Flight Simulator and softly hum the Wendy Carlos opening theme - Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum / Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, hahahahahaha,  whooooooo, aieeeeeeaaaa etc.. on a bi-weekly basis; I also bought a dvd on E-Bay of a film of an actual drive up this historic road, and one day I will go there in person to see the park with my own three eyes. I mean two eyes.

Dave in the Valley

cool Glacier webcams:  http://www.nps.gov/glac/whatsnew.htm

Dave in the Valley

Michael

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 04:29:00 AM »

I would like to have been at

#1: GONE WIT THE WIND First scene to be shot was the fires in Atlanta, filmed on 10 December 1938. They burned were a whole lot of old sets on the studio backlot, including the "Great Gate" from King Kong. The fire was so intense that the unwarned public of Culver City jammed the telephones lines, thinking MGM was burning down. But also Myron Selznick introduced Vivian Leigh to David O. that night and I would have loved to be there.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 04:30:40 AM »

I would like to have been at:

#2 On the soundstage of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane the day Bette Davis had a shipment of Coca-Cola delivered to the set for the cast and crew.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 04:39:33 AM »

#3 Blake Edward's The Party. To see Peter Sellers and all those wonderful characters actors at work The film was improvised from a 40-page outline. Each scene was shot in sequence, and built upon the previous scene
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 04:40:47 AM »

I AM NOW A MILLENNIUM MAN!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 04:42:45 AM »

On location with "Don't Look Now" and "Room with A View" would be great. "Tea With Mussolini" might have been interesting too.
Please note: No mention of Kevin Spacey and the shower scene!

Don't Look Now infamous bedroom scene would be interesting
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 04:46:22 AM »

I   The Sound of Music - Austria. Ms. Andrews. A no brainer.
 Dave in the Valley

I did the next best thing. When I visited Salzburg I went on the Sound of Music tour. A couple of interesting fact. The Front of the house was one location and the back of the house was actually two!! Facing the house was one. Facing towards the lake was another and there were no mountains in the distance! (Wrong angle) So they were drawn in!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 04:47:24 AM »

One specific Fellini set to add: bk introduced me to THE WHITE SHEIK some time ago. Now there's a set I'd like to have visited. There's a world I'd like to have entered. If you haven't seen that delicious film - do.

That is also a great choice. It would be better if I spoke and understood Italian.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 04:53:33 AM »

This one wasn't a film moment, but a theater moment. When Pia Zadora as a child actress and was doing The Diary of Anne Frank. Zadora who is not know for her acting talents was particularly bad that one opening night when at the end of the play the Nazis come banging on the door someone in the audience yelled out "She's In the Attic!"
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 04:56:37 AM »

#4 Ben-Hur's (1925 or 1959) chariot race. Although 1925 probably would have been more interesting since they were more wreckless back then.

the 1925 version was filmed at what is now the intersection of LaCienega and Venice Boulevards in Los Angeles.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 04:58:32 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 05:02:52 AM »

This one wasn't a film moment, but a theater moment. When Pia Zadora as a child actress and was doing The Diary of Anne Frank. Zadora who is not know for her acting talents was particularly bad that one opening night when at the end of the play the Nazis come banging on the door someone in the audience yelled out "She's In the Attic!"

...except that's an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/zadora.htm

All I can think of is that I would have liked to have been on the set of The First Nudie Musical and maybe All That Jazz for similar reasons.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 07:27:55 AM »

Truly great TOD!
Although it requires a lot of thought, my first choice would be obvious to anyone who knows me (as a matter of fact, so would the second):
1.  LAWRENCE OF ARABIA - though technically NOT a set, but the entire desert. . .soemthing which I would like to experience at least once in my life.
2. THE LORD OF THE RINGS (entire trilogy) - Jackson's use of natural splendor astonishes me, taking me to a new world of Hobbits and the like, even if it is only New Zealand.
3. FUNNY FACE/CHARADE - Audrey Hepburn and Paris, what more can I say?
4. DARLING LILI - just to see if the "I'm the only queen on this set" quip actually came from Julie's lips.  (THE SOUND OF MUSIC would be nice, too, another example of natural locations being used to the best of their abilities).
5. WOMEN IN LOVE/TOMMY/THE DEVILS - I'm sure that any Ken Russell set would have been a hip place to be, but, to watch Russell at the height of his cinematic powers would have been wonderful.
6. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN - I' would have liked to have been there for the entire shoot.
7.  HELLO, DOLLY! - so much so, that I worked a young man bearing a slight resemblence to me into a script personally being taken under Gene Kelly's wing on the set of this film, unfortunately, that scene was gone before the play was produced.
8.  SHOW OF SHOWS - strange choice, I know, since it is hardly a great musical film, or even a great filmed revue; but I really would have liked to have seen Winnie Lightner performing live.
9.  DAYS OF HEAVEN - Richard Gere, Sam Shepard. . .need I say more?
10.  GIANT - Dean, Hudson, Taylor and more. . .it's TEXAS CARNIVAL without the songs or the water.

So many, many more; sadly I didn't get to be the first poster to mention THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL. . . :'(
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 07:41:59 AM »

Good morning. Weird. When I looked at the site through AOL, I saw no DR photos. Through IE, I do.

Panni

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 07:46:29 AM »

******* Special VIBES Request********
 DD (Dear Daughter) Rachel has her final audition for Wheel of Fortune this morning (in San Francisco). Request for Major Good Vibes her way.

After the audition she flies home for a few days of visiting.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2004, 08:13:50 AM »

Good Vibes to DD Rachel!
PennyO

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2004, 08:21:27 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~ EXTRA SPECIAL VIBES FOR RACHEL ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 08:22:06 AM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2004, 08:37:40 AM »

Confidential to Rachel:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]You go, girl![/size][/move]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2004, 08:47:43 AM »

Excellent choices.  I'll add a few upon my return.  Shortly I shall be on my way to tape the radio show.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2004, 09:01:59 AM »

Glad your computer is well BK.  I had similar problems a couple of months ago.

I'll write and post my KRITZER TIME review later today.  How do I post it to Amazon and B&N?

GIVE A GIRL A BREAK is one of my favorite MGMusicals.  I also like I LOVE MELVIN.

I'd go back to 1939 to see the Buddy Ebsen as Tinman scenes in WIZARD.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2004, 09:16:23 AM »

Great, WEL.  amazon = simple as pie.  Go to amazon.com - from the pull down menu on the left select "books" type in Kritzer Time.  Click on that selection when it comes up.  Scroll down until you find "I've read this book and I'd like to review it"  click and voila.  Same at barnesandnoble - and you can simply cut and paste the same review.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2004, 09:29:42 AM »

G _ _ D    V _ B _ _   T _   R _ _ H _ L

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~$~~~~$~~~~$~~~~$~~~~[/move]
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2004, 09:53:53 AM »

Thanks for the Rachel vibes! She's there right now. Just about to begin.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »

Dan (the Man), having seen the movie at least a dozen times (or parts of it) I think I shall delete THE MAJOR & THE MINOR from TIVO.  No point in watching.  Thanks for the warning.

Oh, Danise-I’m sorry you didn’t sleep.  HEALTHY VIBES TO YOU!

SWW the Jimmy Webb song is beautiful.  I’m going to try & find it.

Darn, we don’t get Showtime.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2004, 10:31:56 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]FORTUNATE WHEEL VIBES FOR RACHEL!!![/move]

There's a huge number of movies sets I would have loved to have been on.  GWTW and The Wizard of Oz have already been mentioned.  Also, I would have liked to have seen any number of the B&W films of the 30's and 40's to see what costumes, sets, and leading ladies' hair-dos and make-up looked in color.  Rebecca, Mrs. Miniver, The Great Zigfeld (At least for "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody"), the Astaire and Rodgers RKO films, the Busby Burkley films,  Tod Browning's Dracula and Whale's Frankenstein.  Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein (mostly because it looks like it was a lot of fun.)  Stage Door must have been interesting, too.  And of course, All About Eve.  I could go on and on...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up