Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD  (Read 33689 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2004, 10:33:52 AM »

Major Good Vibes Rachel!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :) :) :) :) :) :) :)[/move]

Jane

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2004, 10:36:11 AM »

Michael Shayne, millennium man, I thought you would say LORD OF THE RINGS for the location.

Hint as to which set I would like to have been on, I’m listening to AS TIME SO BY.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2004, 10:49:25 AM »

Jane, BK and other TIVO-ites out there:  Can you all tell me how happy you are with TIVO?  Do you pay for the monthly service or did you go for the lifetime package?  What about the recording quality?  Are there recording speed levels like SP and EP on VCRs?  If so, how bad is the lowest level (is there a LOT of pixelation?)  For that matter, how good is the highest level (does it approach DVD quality?)  When they talk about a TIVO's hard drive holding up to 40 or 80 hours, do they mean only if you record at the lowest recording level?  When you record something that's a keeper, do you transfer to video tape or do you also have a DVD recorder and how is that quality of that?  Does your TIVO lose its flavor on the bedpost over night?  I think I'm ready to make the leap into TIVO culture, but I want more of an idea of what I'm getting myself into.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 10:52:20 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2004, 10:50:26 AM »

Td SINGING IN THE RAIN is a great choice, Gene and Donald together would have been something.

I think movies with great locations, such as LORD OF THE RINGS, would be wonderful.  I would have said THE SOUND OF MUSIC, but where were the mountains?  ;D A movie of interest would be THE AFRICAN QUEEN, great cast and I want to go to Africa, but not the way they did it.  Waking NED DEVINE would have been fun.  It was filmed on a part of The Isle of Man I haven’t seen, and I could have visited my cousins.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2004, 11:10:43 AM »

Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that Freddy the cat has returned home from his 3 day adventure! LOL!

It turns out he wasn't far, he had gotten locked up in the neighbors garage! I was taking my Uncles and Aunts an a tour of my house, as they hadn't seen it yet, and when we were in the front yard my neighbor Clara opened up her garage door and out popped a gigantic cat...Freddy! He ran out and then when he noticed everyone was looking at him he slowed to a trot came over and let my aunts admire and pet him! Then he meowed and meowed like he was telling his story of what happened (of course I am sure in his version it wasn't his fault he was in the neighbors garage!).

Anyway, thank you all for your concern, it really helped to be able to vent on HHW. I was trying to keep a positive outlook but was inside getting very panicky and worried. If it hadn't been for HHW and being involved with my neices wedding I might not have handled it as well. Just glad he is safe and at home.

He wants to go outside (it is a beautiful day) but I am thinking I ought make him stay in for awhile! I am sure I will give in to him, but for at least the next half hour I can pretend that I am in charge of things around here!

Thanks again guys and gals!!

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2004, 11:12:08 AM »

Now to read the rest of yesterdays notes and todays notes! Then up to Tigard to babysit my neice Taylor (my first babysitting job in about 25 years!) while my nephew and his wife go to a Blazers game. I think Finding Nemo will be watched tonight!

Jane

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2004, 11:13:52 AM »

Dan (the Man), I LOVE TIVO!  The friends we have talked into getting TIVO love it too.

The quality is great.  You have three different levels you can record on; best, med & low, depending on how much space you want to use up (so yes to your question regarding the number of hours it holds).   We record on best quality since we have an 80gb storage capacity. I don’t think I would want to use the poorest level of recording. The quality also depends on the signal you are recording from.  An HDTV broadcast can be comparable to a DVD.  

We have lifetime but do they still offer it?

We don’t have a DVD recorder.  I have transferred to VCR but we don’t save those.  The transfers are fine, we just don’t save them.

TIVO never looses its flavor.   :D Take the leap.

Jane

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2004, 11:15:47 AM »

WELCOME HOME FREDDY!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2004, 11:18:57 AM »

Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that Freddy the cat has returned home from his 3 day adventure! LOL!

That is excellent news, man!  You shoud treat Freddy and yourself to an exquisite welcome home dinner tonight and then watch That Darn Cat on video.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2004, 11:30:48 AM »

SWW the Jimmy Webb song is beautiful.  I’m going to try & find it.
I have it on LP, the original release titled Land's End.  Checking over at Amazon, this has been re-released on CD, as an import, but is out of stock.

A better buy, although also an import and thus pricy, would be the disc Archive.  This includes "Asleep on the Wind," along with Webb's own versions of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress," "Galveston," a medley of "Let It Be Me/Never My Love/I Wanna Be Free," and best of all his song "The Highwayman," which makes more sense as a solo than the way Kristofferson, Cash, Nelson and Jennings sung it when they teamed together as the Highwaymen.  Twenty songs, at a little more than a dollar per song, sounds like a good deal to me!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2004, 11:36:19 AM »

That is excellent news, man!  You shoud treat Freddy and yourself to an exquisite welcome home dinner tonight and then watch That Darn Cat on video.
By which I hope Dan (the Man) is referring to the original That Darn Cat, and not the remake.

But since you, DR MBarnum, will be babysitting tonight, the celebration will have to wait.  (Babysitting your nephew's daughter?  Well, yeah, I can see you as being a pretty grand uncle.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2004, 11:38:51 AM »

TOD:  I'm going to take a different tack on this one.  Instead of being on the set of a picture, I want to be in the room while Walt Disney was pitching the story of Pinocchio to his animators.  From what I've read, he took on every part, and had a pretty good idea of what he wanted going into the project.  That one night would have been amazing.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2004, 11:46:25 AM »

Good vibes to Rachal, daughter of DR Panni (or DoDR of Panni, in HHW speak)!

Of course I would like to be on the set of ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE so that I could visit with the cast of my favorite film and watch how it was done and see the flubs and the giant sets!

Also would want to be on the set of THE UNDEAD to see and meet Allison Hayes, Pamela Duncan, and Dorothy Neumann!

Lastly I would like to visit the set of Dhadkan so that I could see Sunil Shetty and Akshay Kumar in all their handsome glory!!

Jed

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2004, 12:05:53 PM »

Posting on location from DR Ann's apartment, before we get to see Thoroughly Modern Millie tonight!  Wonderful news, MBarnum! :D  A bit late, but still sending all them vibes to Rachel!

Such an incredibly beautiful drive across the Cascades yesterday afternoon, passing right through PennyO's neck of the woods.  What a gorgeous area you're in, Penny!  If your neighbors reported an errant and truant blown kiss roaming about the neighborhood about 4pm yesterday, it was intended for you, PennyO, sent as I passed by Mt. Index Road! :D  I'm half-tempted to drive over Stevens Pass again for my return trip in a couple days... longer drive home from here, but SOOOO lovely!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

td

• td
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2004, 12:10:02 PM »

Well, we shouldn't stop posting now that the cat has come home!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! WELCOME BACK! ! ![/move]

I'm glad the DR Dan (the man) brought up Tod Browning's DRACULA, since someone should have asked Mr. Browning what the f**k the ARMADILLOS were doing in Transylvania!

Actually, the set of and of Browning's silents and up to and including FREAKS would have been quite interesting.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2004, 12:14:13 PM »

Just wanted to pop in and say how happy I am that Freddy was found.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2004, 12:22:48 PM »

Yea Freddy the Cat!  It's very much not uncommon for cats to get locked in garages... it happens to us every so often with our two.  Their stealth-ness makes it hard to know that they've followed us in there.  

Good Wheel vibes to R(S-T-L-N-E)achel!  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 12:23:35 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2004, 12:36:39 PM »

WELCOME HOME, FREDDY!!! ;D

Panni

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2004, 12:43:30 PM »

Thanks for all the good vibes for Rachel. She just called and unfortunately did not make it onto the show. She's VERY disappointed and down on herself -- which is what I was afraid of. I told her that you can never tell with these things. People are picked for odd reasons. She said some of the people picked to continue on didn't do well in the mock games. Exactly - but they fit the profile of a particular type they wanted for the show. Anyway - thanks for the vibes.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2004, 12:44:39 PM »

SWW thanks for the info.  Do you mean a better buy, money wise, or a better CD to own?

Jed, we have only been to visit Penny O once and it truly is beautiful there.  The Cascades at that end are very different then our Cascades here, more like our Siskiyou Mountains.  

I couldn’t take worrying about missing cats and years ago decided to keep ours inside, unless we were out with them.  Bosco, our tortie & white, went out with our dog Belle and followed her everywhere, including back into the house.  Once Belle was too old to play with Bosco, she too stayed in the house.  Before we were married Gaea could come & go as she pleases through my apartment balcony.  That is until she didn’t come home one night.  I finally found her, around midnight, up a tree in a neighbor’s driveway.  I was trying to coax her down when the neighbor yelled “I have a gun”.  Not only did that scare the s___ out of me, but Gaea came scurrying down the tree.  I called out what I was doing and a very nice woman came out of her house.  We both apologized profusely for frightening each other. ;D

Panni

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2004, 12:47:21 PM »

I was of two minds about posting today about her audition. On the one hand, why make a big thing of it and be publicly disappointed. On the other hand - we're all friends here and good vibes certainly can't hurt. Obviously, I opted for the latter.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2004, 12:50:18 PM »

Sorry Rachel.

Keith & I tried out for the Newlywed game.  We got all the answers correct & didn't make idiots of ourselves (I didn’t under strict orders from Keith ;D).  I’m sure we were very cute, loving & sweet, but of course we didn't get picked.  Not that we cared.  I swear that show gave out the ugliest prizes.

Robin

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2004, 12:51:24 PM »

The film I would've wanted to be on the set of?

No contest.

Plan 9 from Outer Space
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2004, 01:00:28 PM »

Panni, yes we are all friends here and it was nice you shared with us.  :D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2004, 01:07:04 PM »

The great Timi Yuro, who sang such hits as "HURT" and "WHAT'S THE MATTER, BABY" passed away.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2004, 01:10:01 PM »

OK - My KRITZER TIME review is now posted on this here site (in the KRITZER forum as a reply to the first topic KRITZER TIME POSTS).  I am pretty busy for the rest of the afterrnoon (it's time to do my taxes) but I promise to get it posted on Amazon & B&N by the end of the weekend.  I have it in a Word file so I canjust cut and paste.

And BK - I mean every word of it.  I'll start the Pulitzer process in a couple of weeks since they are announcing the 2003 this week.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2004, 01:57:42 PM »

Dan the Man:  I love TIVO - my first unit was a lemon, but the replacement has been great.  I didn't know there were multiple levels you could record on - I just use the preset which is best.  The unit I have holds 100 hours of programming, which is about fifty hours more than I would ever need.

Jed and Ann: Be sure to go backstage and say hi to Juliana.

The Hollywood Collector's show was not very interesting and I'm really glad I waited until April.  Oh, it was crowded but I'd say the majority of the "celebrities" were people who'd done one or two action films that I never heard of.  Susan Anton was there, as was Susan Blakely.  The big attraction was Jane Russell.  Don Knotts was there and Lois Lane, Phyllis Coates, but that's really about it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2004, 01:58:20 PM »

Sad to be all alone in the world, especially at 2:00 in the fershluganah afternoon.  RALLY, baby, RALLY

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2004, 02:02:25 PM »

WEL: What a wonderful thing you wrote.  Everyone must go read it under the Kritzer Time thread on the Kritzer board.  Beautifully done, for which I'm grateful and say thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Panni

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2004, 02:23:13 PM »

WEL - Terrific review of KRITZER TIME!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up