Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD  (Read 33328 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2004, 02:34:13 PM »

Oh, and WEL, DON'T forget amazon and b&n - they MUST have the review.  Don't let it slip your mind.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2004, 02:48:52 PM »

MBarnum: I'm so glad that Freddy is home. We were all worried. I'll bet he's hungry.

DR Panni: Sorry about Wheel of Fortune.  But why do they have to give them so many auditions?  I hate the idea of all the people they are disappointing.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2004, 03:18:40 PM »

Films I'd like to have been on the set for:

"Victor, Victoria"
"The Robe"
"Goodbye, Mr. Chips" (1969)
"Finian's Rainbow"
"There's No Business Like Show Business"
"Spartacus"
"Cleopatra"

...and I, too, would have loved being on the set of "Amarcord"!!!  Add to that Italian fantasy, Zeffirelli's sets of "Romeo and Juliet" and "The Taming of the Shrew."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2004, 03:24:17 PM »

Jed - had I but known you were within ten minutes of my cabin, I would have met you on Hwy 2 and brought you up here. So pretty here right now, with all the bulbs just about to flower, a few daff's already open today. Anybody wanna buy a cabin nestled in a magical garden on a lovely stream in a forest?
PennyO

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2004, 03:24:38 PM »

DR Panni: Sorry about Wheel of Fortune.  But why do they have to give them so many auditions?  I hate the idea of all the people they are disappointing.

Thanks Jennifer. I don't know the ins and outs of their audition process.
For myself, I'm more philosophical about these things. (Has to do with having lived longer, I would think.) Doesn't happen, you say a few choice words, maybe yell at the wall a bit, and you move on. Rachel is another story. She's extremely disappointed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 03:25:22 PM by Panni »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2004, 03:26:21 PM »

http://www.timescommunity.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=11209991&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506035&rfi=6

LOOK at how stupid my County is. Please, if you don't mind, write in a comment about exactly how stupid this is. Mine is the second one down. I submitted a reply to what the man who posted after me said, but I doubt they'd put it up, no matter how correct it is.

AGH!
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2004, 03:30:29 PM »

You go girl!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2004, 03:30:44 PM »

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2004, 03:32:05 PM »

Swishy - when I read a sentence like...

"At a special meeting Tuesday, School Board members laid out their options: increase class size; cut teacher and staff salaries; eliminate foreign language, art and drama in schools; and do away with such extracurricular activities as sports, band and chorus."

...I think I've entered the Twilight Zone. Unbelievable!
Your letter was excellent. And you're right. They ARE stupid. and that's a kind word for them. Hope you win your battle.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2004, 03:56:09 PM »

Swishy Sarah, well done!  It is a difficult time for schools these days but it appears your county is coming up with some extreme solutions.  GOOD VIBES these cutbacks don’t happen.  

Jane

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2004, 03:57:52 PM »

Bruce I was where I usually am on a Saturday afternoon, at the nursing home with Echo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2004, 04:37:37 PM »

But now it is a time to be here.  We must all be here.  Here is where we should be.  We should not be there, we should be here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2004, 04:38:46 PM »

Oh, and I had a lot of fun doing the radio show - can't remember if it's for tomorrow or a week from.  I read three brief sections from the book, we played not only the Kritzer Time CD but some songs from musicals Benjamin loved.  I then did one of my rants.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2004, 04:41:52 PM »

I have never been able to get the radio show.  I don't want to miss this one.

td

• td
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2004, 04:42:47 PM »

So, BK, how did the big attraction look? ? ?

Now that Ms. Russell was mentioned, who thinks that it would have been fun to have been on the set of GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES whilst Jane was musically complaining, "Ain't There Anyone Here for Love?"
. . not to mention being on the sets of any Josh Logan production. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2004, 04:57:57 PM »

Miss Russell looked a bit strange.

Jane, maybe Keith can help with the radio show.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2004, 05:20:10 PM »

Sorry Rachel.

Keith & I tried out for the Newlywed game.  We got all the answers correct & didn't make idiots of ourselves (I didn’t under strict orders from Keith ;D).  I’m sure we were very cute, loving & sweet, but of course we didn't get picked.  Not that we cared.  I swear that show gave out the ugliest prizes.

I have a theory that they actually were looking for people who made idiots of themselves, Dear Reader Jane.  And Dear Reader Panni, I bet that Rachel did not get picked today because she solved the puzzles in her mock games too quickly, making her look as if she were smart, which, of course, she is.  A reason for the popularity of game shows like this is that they give the viewers at home the opportunity to feel a little bit....well...you know...superior.  People at home usually solve the rebus before the contestants on the show do.  That feeling of superiority (related though it may be to the deadly sin of pride) is a good feeling, which brings viewers back time and again.  Which is exactly what the advertisers and shows' producers are looking for.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 05:32:48 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2004, 05:21:50 PM »

Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that Freddy the cat has returned home from his 3 day adventure!

Freddy!!!  Dude!!!  Welcome home!!!

Jay

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2004, 05:30:48 PM »

http://www.timescommunity.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=11209991&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506035&rfi=6

LOOK at how stupid my County is. Please, if you don't mind, write in a comment about exactly how stupid this is. Mine is the second one down. I submitted a reply to what the man who posted after me said, but I doubt they'd put it up, no matter how correct it is.

AGH!

What a great letter, Swish!  It is very well thought out and argued, and all the more powerful because it comes from a student and not a parent.  It doesn't take much to get me started when it comes to the issue of the funding of public education and the range of academic and extra-curricular activities offered--or not--to students today.  If all the money that goes into building new jails these days went into the public schools instead, I'm mighty certain that the need for those jails would evaporate.

I hope your voice is heard and is joined by many others.

Swish on, girl!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 05:49:43 PM by Jay »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2004, 05:36:10 PM »

AGH!

For good or ill, this story got my dander up and I posted my own opinion.  I'm sure the Loudoun County school board will be aghast and gunning for me.  Fortunately, they don't have a clue who or where I am.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Robin

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2004, 05:39:48 PM »

The SO and myself went to the movies today.  Yeah, I know...whatta shock.  We caught Hellboy and Latter Days, both of which were simply marvy, albeit for different reasons.  

Hellboy was such a blood-and-thunder good time, and directed by one of my new favorites, Guillermo del Toro.  And Ron Perlman, in the title role, is a hoot and a half.  And they kill lotsa Nazis.  Always a good thing.

Latter Days, though it suffers a bit in the technique department, was sweet, and had its' heart in the right place.  The Mormons aren't gonna like this movie, though.  To heck with 'em.  I identified with the LDS boy, because of my own strict religious upbringing, and his coming to accept who he was and how he fits in with the world really did echo my own coming of age.  (They could've used a decent songwriter, though.  The songs in the movie were, to put it kindly, trite.)  

Still and all, a pleasant day...and tonight, a few more movies on deeveedee.  

Life is good...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jay

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2004, 05:45:18 PM »

I went to the Museum on the Mount (AKA the Getty) today, Dear Readers, to see an exhibit entitled "Photographers of Genius."  The show is rather impressive, and succeeds in its mission to demonstrate the incredible breadth and depth of the Getty's photography collection.  I also stopped in at a small exhibit devoted to the commerce of art, which was quite interesting.

I will be leaving shortly to head to North Hollywood to see Mr. Jason Graae play the 30 some-odd characters in Fully Committed.  I've seen the show before (with Mr. Mark Setlock) and it was hysterically funny then; it should be even more so this evening with Mr. Graae.

I will check in when I return.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 05:48:21 PM by Jay »

Michael

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2004, 05:59:23 PM »

What a day. I received my special gift from DR Tomofoz today and I also recieved my special package of demos from She Loves Me, A Little Night Music and the Reunion Concert of Falsettos and videos of dear and the very missed Laurie Beechman in concert and some other videos as well. I have been sample everything and about to sample DR Tom's gift.

My similar gift will be making its way to you soon too!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2004, 06:02:24 PM »

OKAY I just noticed only 82 posts where is everyone!!!
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2004, 06:12:51 PM »

SWW thanks for the info.  Do you mean a better buy, money wise, or a better CD to own?
I'm thinking Archive would be the better CD to own.  It represents a larger portion of Webb's career, with tracks from several albums over a seven or eight year period.  And, let's face it, no artist can hit the ball out of the park with every track on an album.

While we're at it, here's a link to Webb's own webbsite (sorry, couldn't resist the pun).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2004, 06:18:13 PM »

Did we ever think we'd see the day when a post said "only eighty-two posts" at 6:00?  I love this here site.  But, let's keep the home fries burning, shall we?

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2004, 06:19:01 PM »

Good news Mike. NOW that you have it I shall wait for mail SOON or LATER!
At least that's 85!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2004, 06:25:27 PM »

I have a theory that they actually were looking for people who made idiots of themselves, Dear Reader Jane.  And Dear Reader Panni, I bet that Rachel did not get picked today because she solved the puzzles in her mock games too quickly, making her look as if she were smart, which, of course, she is.

A few years ago, I auditioned three times to get on The Weakest Link.  After the third try, I was never contacted again.  They had us play "mock games"...perhaps it was because I actually did well, or perhaps I didn't photograph well, but by the third audition, I was really beginning not to give a rat's behind whether or not I actually got on the show.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2004, 06:26:17 PM »

I TIVOd the Doris Day movie, Caprice, which I saw way back when, but remember nothing of.  I was surprised to see it's directed by the great Frank Tashlin.  I watched the first ten minutes which weren't too good, but I will always give Mr. Tashlin the benefit of the doubt.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2004, 06:27:13 PM »

I was turned down for The Dating Game.  And let me tell you, I was very amusing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up