Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD  (Read 33671 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE LITTLE COMPUTER THAT COULD
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2004, 06:28:30 PM »

I'll admit, I'm not feeling very good right now, due to my allergies acting up and moving up into my sinuses (first spring in a new environment), but please, DO NOT SEND ME VIBES!

Send your vibes, every single one you can spare, to our DR Swishy Sarah.  What she's dealing with is much more important!

And while I'm at it, here's my vibes to you, SS!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2004, 06:30:50 PM »

Okay I posted on Amazon and B&N.  Now that I know how easy it is other authors beware!

BK - Maybe the reason there are so few posts is that everyone is busy reading KRITZER TIME.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2004, 06:59:19 PM »

BK - Maybe the reason there are so few posts is that everyone is busy reading KRITZER TIME.

That or... they're waiting for another brilliant cheerleading routine. Sorry, no can do. The Dallas Cheerleaders have put me under exclusive contract.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2004, 07:08:29 PM »

I was turned down for The Dating Game.  And let me tell you, I was very amusing.

I also was turned down for the dating game.  I was talked into this by a friend’s fiancé who was sure I would be picked.  The guy interviewing me on the phone & I talked for about two hours (I think he liked me). When I had the actual trial game I was behind a curtain.  A couple of the guys were really flirting with me and obviously curious to see me.  Afterwards the curtain was removed & there I was face to face with these much older guys/men.  They looked so shocked when they saw me I almost started laughing.  I was younger (17) to begin with & looked like a baby.   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2004, 07:20:23 PM »

We don't need no stinking cheerleading.  We need stinking posts.

Saturday night can't be the loneliest night of the week, that would be much too unseemly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2004, 07:27:27 PM »

Do we feel a new all-time low coming?  Oh, well, what will be will be, just like Dodo Day said.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2004, 07:42:13 PM »

Now, now, you dear dear people, what say we have a little teamwork?  I'm off to dinner and I hope I'm not depressed upon my return, oh, yes, I hope I am not depressed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2004, 07:42:37 PM »

What am I, doing a monologue?  

Jane

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2004, 07:43:39 PM »

Robin now I’m really looking forward to HELLBOY.  We will see have to go to the theater with the large screen and stadium seating to really enjoy it.  I don’t believe LATTER DAYS is playing here yet.

SWW Thanks for the ARCHIVE info.  Now just to get moving & actually purchase some of these CD’s I’ve asked about.

Bruce I believe it was Keith who said we can’t get the radio show, but that was a long time ago.  We shall try again.

After a five year absence we returned to a local Italian restaurant.  Big mistake!  Shortly after we were seated the waiter walked up and to our amazement, in a gruff voice, asked if we were ready to order.  Later we heard him offering the specials of the day to other customers, something he hadn’t done for us.  Keith said his dinner wasn’t very good.  I, thinking it was comparable to mine was semi sympathetic.  Near the end of the meal, which neither of us finished, we tasted each other’s dinner.  My comment to poor Keith after tasting his was, “my dinner must taste really good after yours”. He was thinking it did.  ;D All we could do after dinner was walk across the street to The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory & get something yummy to get rid of the bad taste in our mouths. ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2004, 07:46:03 PM »

Guy walks into a bar and sits down and orders a drink.  He hears a voice say, "Hey, nice shirt."  He looks around, doesn't see anyone.  He hears the voice again.  "Hey, nice tie."  He looks around, doesn't see anyone.  Baffled, he takes a sip of his drink - hears the voice again.  "Hey, nice sport coat."  He looks around - nobody there.  He calls the bartender over and says, "It's the weirdest thing - I keep hearing a voice saying things like 'nice shirt' 'nice tie' 'nice sport coat'.  What gives?"  The bartender points to a bowl on the bar and says, "Oh, that's the peanuts - they're complimentary."

Jane

« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2004, 07:47:11 PM »

It’s time to finish watching LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

First, I mustn’t forget SWW’s good vibes for Sarah.  

Goodnight all.

Michael

« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2004, 08:06:03 PM »

I audition for one game show in my life and I got on it. It was called The New Chain Reaction. It was the same as the old Chain Reaction but it did not have celebrity players. My appearance was delayed because the original host was fired and was later replaced by Geoff Edwards.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2004, 08:08:42 PM »

I am listening to A Little Night Music and was wondering if you are required to have the Quintet sing the overture or was that just part of Hal Prince's original staging and in your production you can have the orchestra play it or omit it all together?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2004, 08:11:08 PM »

So I watched Chess in Concert, Laurie Beechman from 1991 (pre-Bruce Kimmel) and coming up Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall. Both were very entertaining.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2004, 08:13:40 PM »

Sinus-stuffed and achey as I am, der Brucer and I still made our way to Cafe Zeus this evening.  For one thing, he'd taken some pics on our last jaunt over, and wanted to show them off.  For another, he wanted to sample their pate appetizer.

It is a genuine pate de fois gras, very rich and very creamy, complemented by a bit of roasted fig and a nice glazing of aspic.  It was quite delicious, and made up for much of the rest of the day.

The worst part of the day was our kitchen table.  I had put off it's actual construction for a week, as I wasn't entirely sure of how to do it.  There were five basic pieces: the tabletop, the top of the central pillar, the pillar itself, and the base/foot.  The top of the pillar screws into the tabletop, and a central rod connects the top and the base, travelling through the tubular pillar.

Confused?  This gets worse.

After constructing the table, which took a bit of doing as the whole thing had to be done in something of a reverse order from what we would have thought necessary, we turned the table rightside up and discovered it to be a little taller than we had expected.  Mind, I had wanted a taller than usual table, because my intention has been to work at it standing up, and being taller than usual had decided that a taller table would be a good idea.

Taller by two (repeat: TWO) inches.

Most tables constructed for working standing up are thirty-six inches tall.  Ours was to be thirty-eight inches tall, the better to reduce back strain for a fellow like myself.

Well, part of the table is, indeed, thirty-eight inches tall.  The central pillar is that height, in fact.  The problem is, when the thickness of the table-top itself, and the pillar top, and the pillar base are all added to that thirty-eight inches in height, we've ended up with a table forty-two and one-quarter inches tall!  I mean, I'm tall, but not Mike Jordan tall.

A visit was paid to the store where we ordered the table.  Dave, the owner, heaved a sigh.  He's had problems with this particular manufacturer before.  They quite often fu...uh, fudge up orders.  He'll be dropping by tomorrow, to take the table back and have the problem corrected.  

The good news is that we don't have to dismantle the table ourselves.  The bad news is, I still don't have a kitchen table.  Well...Fudge!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2004, 08:20:40 PM »

I believe the ALNM quintet is written in as part of the score.  Every recording I have heard has included them (other than the film version), and that includes a reduced chamber orchestra recording.  I personally find the use of the onstage quintet a charming part of the sound of the show.  While I can understand their absence in the film (also directed by Prince), as the conceit would have been harder to explain (and, onstage, they never are explained), the lack of the five voices subtracts from the film.

And, let's face it, that film needed all the help it could get!

td

• td
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »

It’s time to finish watching LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

So, how're you and Keith enjoying my all-time favorite film?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2004, 08:48:06 PM »

Are you asking them "Why is the desert?"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2004, 09:01:01 PM »

Are you asking them "Why is the desert?"

Naturalement!

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2004, 09:18:07 PM »

At least we know what we are talking about. Of course "I'm on your side" and love Lawrence too! Not Gertrude but I am looking forward to "Star".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2004, 09:19:54 PM »

Thank you everyone who left a comment or sent me vibes. The website is SUPER slow with putting comments up, and reads them all for content. It took about 9 hours for my post to be...posted...But I really appreciate it. I doubt it'll happen, but you never know.

I am in love with the Six Flags commercial with the dancing man. It just makes me smile.

Donald Trump is an awful SNL host.

Goodnight, all!
...Walk in the sunshine...

td

• td
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2004, 09:33:50 PM »

At least we know what we are talking about. Of course "I'm on your side" and love Lawrence too! Not Gertrude but I am looking forward to "Star".

I should have my LITTLE PRINCE and HALF A SIXPENCE on Monday; Tuesday is a go for MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. . .among sooo many others.

APRIL 2004  is the month to go for broke on dvd buying!

Only a couple more weeks until CALL ME MADAM and STAR!

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2004, 09:47:46 PM »

A full report on your finding your Prince please. I may well have to order one myself.  I'll be on the streets (without street lighting) before long if I buy any more DVDs.  "Star" will be a MUST. I think Sweeney is all I have on order at present. Will be watching a borrowed copy of "Camp" tomorrow night.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2004, 09:49:36 PM »

I would never call you Madam td. You're far too young and I think you are worth far more than threepence.
All these posts could of course be personal messages but ......
James Thurber 1957

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2004, 10:29:23 PM »

Hello, dear readers!  I still exist, but I spend my week days making pathetic attempts to pass chemistry, leaving only my weekends available for the wonderful HainesHisWay.com.  Luckily, spring break is upon us (hurrah hurrah!), so I will have some more time to spend here. :)

Tonight I saw the Roundabout Theatre Company's revival of "Assassins" which, I must admit, surprised me.  Before I elaborate, I just want to mention that my review will most likely contain spoilers.

When I first entered the theatre, I was shocked to see that the space was left exactly as it was for "Cabaret". The thrust stage has no curtain and there are about four steps leading from the foot of the stage into the audience. Instead of having a traditional pit, half of the orchestra sits on stage left and the other stage right in the equivolent of a "normal" theatre's box seats. The orchestra seating is all table seating. The set is slightly reminiscent of the recent "Man Of La Mancha" revival's set in that it utilizes various levels of wood planking and sets of stairs for various purposes. Before the show began I had no idea what I was looking at, but as
soon as it started, it became clear that the set was made to resemble Coney Island's Cyclone roller coaster. Mantello clearly took the fair ground/shooting gallery idea and ran with it, and that proved to be a wonderful decision. The entire show is played out on this set, and it serves all different purposes while still keeping that feel of the fair ground in tact. Marc Kudisch's Proprietor is very much a presence in the show. Looking like, well, a proprietor with shaved head and tattooed arms, Kudisch rarely left the stage and sort of served as an anti-Balladeer by being this sinister figure looming over the action. While the Balladeer comments on the events taking place, the Proprietor creates them by placing guns in various assassins' hands, spinning a roulette wheel that determines which assassin would have his or her turn next, and shouting "Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!" whenever an assassin hits his target. I
think that "Everybody's Got The Right" is now in a lower key, but I suppose that that doesn't really matter. The set was utilized brilliantly in this number, as the Proprietor stalks about the various levels underneath an enormous neon sign reading "Hit the prez! Win a prize!". Sadly, the following scene does not work nearly as well. While Ceveris is a terrific Booth, he seemed to
reach all the points he wanted to both physically and emotionally without building up to those moments. I'm sure that after a few more performances, that problem will no longer exist. In that scene, we're also introduced to Neil Patrick Harris as the Balladeer.  Harris sounds fine, but his presence is slightly jarring because he is costumed in light colors, while literally everything else in the entire theatre is dark. Also, he sort of appears out of nowhere and, when there's already a sort of narrator in this production(the Proprietor), his presence is a bit awkward. From the next scene (the bar) onward, there was a bit of a struggle between weather or not this would be a comedy. Many performers, such as the miscast Mario Cantone, played for laughs at completely inappropriate moments, giving this portion of the show a light and campy feel. There is no question that all of
the assassins were creepy, but they didn't seem the least bit dangerous, which I think an audience needs to sense. This problem was definitely present in "How I Saved Roosevelt", as Jeffrey Kuhn did a little dance in the electric chair a la Guiteau's cake walk.  In my opinion, since the same general idea is experessed in
the "Ballad Of Guiteau", that was unnecesary and out of character.  For all of these scenes, the Proprietor merely sits onstage, sometimes contributing to the action (Handing Zangara the gun, strapping him into the chair...), being an incredibly creepy omnipresent figure. Interestingly, the performances seemed to get
lighter and lighter as various production elements (lighting, use of set, and the Proprietor's presence) got increasingly dark and sinister. The two joined together nicely, creating a sort of funhouse feeling that one might get after visiting a sideshow where it's all fun and games until you think about how creepy it is. Denis
O'Hare's "Ballad Of Guiteau" was incredibly disturbing, begining optimistic but then building to the point of terrifying hysteria.  Truly perfect. Whenever an assassination or attempted assassination would occur, the assassin in question would turn upstage where skrims showing the silhouettes of men in suits were pulled down and shoot at their "target". If they were successful, the skrim would light up and the Proprietor would shout "WE HAVE A WINNER!" and if they were
not, a lound buzzer would sound and the Proprietor would apologize. It was interesting, and it worked very well. These skrims were seperated by wooden bars that created nine little portals. After each assassination (successful or otherwise), the assassin would back into the booth once inhabited by his "target" and, unless he was participating in a scene, spend the rest of the show there. A shadowy light was cast over them, making them look like exhibits in a wax museum, which solidified the idea of "footnotes in a history book". They also resembled caged sideshow freaks, which also
coencides with comments made during the Oswald scene. "Another National Anthem" utilized these interpretations of the portals by having the assassins spend part of the song seeming as though they're
trying to escape their "cages". In this production, instead of having the Balladeer sing most of the song, he shared it with the Proprietor who sang the more ominous parts of the narration, creating a sort of devil/angel on the shoulder effect for the rest of the
cast. During this song, it is the Proprietor who shoves the Balladeer offstage and then sets the scene for the Texas School Book Depository, which is basically just a bunch of boxes. Harris' Oswald is appropriatly understated. Throughout the scene, Booth inforces
this idea that Oswald never did anything in his life, he merely had things happen to him. I've always interpreted this scene as Oswald finally taking control of his own life and doing something, but Harris' portrayal makes it clear that this is just one more instance where Oswald is a victim of circumstance and can't made decisions for himself. He doesn't make the event happen, it happens to him. A few lines were cut from this scene ("Is Artie Bremer here tonight?" "It was a bum rap! My penis made me do it!" "Death to the enemies of Palestine!" "Of course, of course, Sirhan Sirhan." "Yeeeeha!" "And James Earl Ray! Why do these red-knecks always have three names? John Wilkes Booth, James Earl Ray..." "Lee Harvey Oswald."), which
turned out to be a very wise decision because "Another National Anthem" proved to be the turning point from the comedic and campy earlier portion of the evening to the very serious conclusion, and those funny lines would have a negative impact on the mood. The
scene was incredibly powerful and truly perfect. As soon as Oswald fires his weapon, he gets up, faces the audience, and freezes. The spotlight is taken off him and the film of Kennedy's assassination is projected onto his t-shirt. It's brilliant and terrifying. Sadly, it was followed by "Something Just Broke" which I think just doesn't work.

Interestingly, there was no audience reaction to the Kennedy assassination scene which I attribute to four factors: Nothing shocks us anymore, I think that most of the audience already knew the show, few in the audience actually lived through the Kennedy assassination (very young crowd), and after 9/11, the Kennedy assassination is no longer the great american tragedy that it once was. It's a shame that I'll never know how I would have reacted to this production had
I not already been very familiar with the show. All in all, this production managed to be both very fun and entertaining while remainingly appropriatly disturbing and, at times, terrifying.

Because of the way the Proprietor was incorporated into this production, it might have been interesting to see his role doubled with Booth. Seeing as Booth is a sort of extenstion of the Balladeer in the Oswald scene as he fills in for him by convincing Oswald to kill Kennedy (which, in this production, should be the Proprietor's job), it could have been appropriate to double the roles.

I apologize for my choppy writing, but it's late and I'm having great difficulty expressing myself. I hope that this was relatively coherent.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 11:05:24 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2004, 10:30:07 PM »

Hello, fellow dear readers. DR Sandra and I took a spontaneous trip and just got home.

Glad to hear Freddy is back home. Sorry to hear Rachel didn't get on the show.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2004, 10:41:40 PM »

Hello, fellow dear readers. DR Sandra and I took a spontaneous trip and just got home.

Glad to hear Freddy is back home. Sorry to hear Rachel didn't get on the show.

Were you in the neighborhood, Dear Reader Laura, and not let anyone know???
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2004, 10:46:39 PM »

I looked for you at the theater last night, Jay, but didn't se you.

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2004, 10:48:23 PM »

Thanks for the review Jenny. No way will I get there any way. Your comments about the age of the crowd and the 9/11 impact are interesting. Perhaps because of those factors the audience will be more accepting. I hope this time that the timing is "Right". the show was very well accepted here in Oz and in the UK but the audience did not have to fact the same demons.
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2004, 10:48:47 PM »

Jay, did you meet Mrs. G?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up