Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PASSOVER PLOTZ  (Read 45352 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE PASSOVER PLOTZ
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2004, 08:44:41 PM »

(I've also fondled Martha Raye's special Oscar as well.)
Careful, I met Martha and could come up with a couple of good sniggers about that one!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2004, 08:47:12 PM »

What I think is so funny is that perfectly good actors become dreadful actors in DeMille pictures which only leads me to believe his manner of direction and taste in acting never advanced from the silent days when a broader, more exaggerated style was acceptable.

And yet it's strange that Billy Wilder managed to get a nice performance out of him for Sunset Boulevard.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2004, 08:48:04 PM »

Sixth Page Dance!
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
;D
:D :D
8) 8) 8)
;) ;) ;) ;)
::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
:) :) :) :) :) :)
[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2004, 08:55:39 PM »

Not giving L.A. CONFIDENTIAL the Best Picture Oscar was a criminal injustice. That is a brilliant piece of work and one I seem to enjoy more every time I watch it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2004, 08:57:25 PM »

I'm pretty much agreeing with the gerneral dissing here of [d]The Greatest Show on Earth[/b] and Chariots of Fire, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I completely bought Titanic lock, stock, and steerage.  I was dragged kicking and screaming to the theater to see it, but I wound up letting myself get caught up in it.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I do feel that it was a wonderful movie.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2004, 08:59:06 PM »

I really want to try Gefilte Fish and Matzoh Ball soup? I wonder if there are Jewish places to dine in my area?

Michael -- Whatever you do, don't let your first taste of gefilte fish be the stuff out of the jar.  I guarantee you will never want to try it again.  There must be a Jewish temple somewhere in your area.  Call them up, tell them you are curious about certain foods associated with Passover, and ask where they would recommend that you get some to try.  They will undoubtedly by thrilled that you are interested (and you might meet a nice eligible Jewish doctor).

I was very lucky that when I lived in Seattle with a Jewish friend of mine, that every year his Mother moved in with us for Passover, and she welcomed me into the family for the Seder.  She no longer made her own gefilte fish, but she knew all the best places in Seattle to buy it, and a lot of it in the Northwest is made with a combination of salmon and whitefish.  Real gefilte fish is wonderful, the stuff in the jar is nasty.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2004, 09:08:06 PM »

This is going to sound terrible (or wonderful, depending on your pov, I guess) but I have actually held Heston's Moses' staff in my hands...Yeah, yeah, snicker, snicker, get it all the inuenndo out...Composed yourself now?  When I worked with Heston on stage, he threw a party up at his digs in Coldwater Canyon...among his prominently displayed memorabilia is the Moses staff from TEN C.  I also touched his Oscar...and that's NOT a euphemsim for anything either! (I've also fondle Martha Raye's  special Oscar as well)

I've heard his other staff is bigger!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2004, 09:14:11 PM »

Come to think of it, with DeMille directing, what would have been wrong with putting Norma Desmond in the picture?
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2004, 09:16:46 PM »

I'm pretty much agreeing with the gerneral dissing here of [d]The Greatest Show on Earth[/b] and Chariots of Fire, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I completely bought Titanic lock, stock, and steerage.  I was dragged kicking and screaming to the theater to see it, but I wound up letting myself get caught up in it.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I do feel that it was a wonderful movie.
CoF isn't a perfect film, but technically it works quite well, and I enjoy it.  Sorry, BK, but I like the score, too.

I'm with Dan here about Titanic.  Der Brucer and I both enjoyed it, for the spectacle and for it's intensity.  Sure, the dialogue was lame, but everything that took place during the sinking itself was prepped earlier in the film, so that I was never wondering where the heck I was on the ship during that final hour.  (Although I admit to wanting to cheer when Leonardo fed the fishies.)

I've never been able to sit through aBM, even though we have it on DVD.  And I've never seen GSoE.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2004, 09:23:29 PM »

Time for a very goy question: what difference is there between the beef brisket served for Passover, and the corned beef brisket served so often as part of St. Patty's?  I'm pretty sure it's the same cut of beef, but how are the preparations different?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2004, 09:36:37 PM »

SWW,

You're right - the cut is the same (and preferably with a fair bit of fat). But the Jewish-style brisket isn't corned (unless you're specifically having corned beef). Rather, it's slowly cooked, either on the stovetop or in the oven. Everyone has his/her own recipe. I pile mine on top of tons of sliced onions, season it with garlic, cover the pan extremely tightly, and let it cook very slowly on top of the stove - not till it falls apart, but until it is as tender as possible. For Passover you don't use flour, so I add a little potato starch to all the oniony, beefy liquid, and that's the gravy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2004, 09:44:11 PM »

SWW (and anyone else),

I can e-mail you the precise recipe - just let me know if you'd like it. I also have a good recipe for gefilte fish. I can get both to you in time for Easter.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2004, 09:47:07 PM »

SWW,

You're right - the cut is the same (and preferably with a fair bit of fat). But the Jewish-style brisket isn't corned (unless you're specifically having corned beef). Rather, it's slowly cooked, either on the stovetop or in the oven. Everyone has his/her own recipe. I pile mine on top of tons of sliced onions, season it with garlic, cover the pan extremely tightly, and let it cook very slowly on top of the stove - not till it falls apart, but until it is as tender as possible. For Passover you don't use flour, so I add a little potato starch to all the oniony, beefy liquid, and that's the gravy.
Thank-you, Dan!  That answers my question, and sounds delish at the same time.  I would imagine using a slow-cooker could also work (they do have their uses).

Another goy question: why no wheat flour?  (Correct me if I'm wrong about the "no flour" rule just being about wheat flour, of course.)

And yes, I'd love the recipes!  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 09:48:31 PM by S. Woody White »

Kerry

« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2004, 09:54:53 PM »

You've now made me want brisket.   But it has to be really lean.   There's a great deli nearby, so maybe on one of my days off, I'll get there on a day when the brisket is lean.
I like boat races.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2004, 09:57:33 PM »

SWW,

During the Passover period, observant Jews don't eat bread or any kind of food that has leavening properties.

(Matzah, unleavened bread, is made of flour, but its preparation is carefully supervised to ensure that absolutely no fermentation takes place.)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2004, 10:14:52 PM »

DiT -- I would love the recipe too.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2004, 10:47:02 PM »

I loved "The Greatest Show On Earth". Of course I was only seven years old when I saw it and I will hold on to the memory. (I have not seen it since). I also loved "Trapeze" and "The Flying Fontanes". I still very much enjoy "Chariots" too. On the other hand I found "Titanic" too be very silly. I was certainly on the side of the Iceberg. Horses and courses I guess.
I watched "CAMP" last night and though it succeeded despite itself. It still has charm.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2004, 11:13:59 PM »

MattH, I agree about LA CONFIDENTIAL.  Great film!  Curtis Hanson, the director, is also a very nice man.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2004, 11:23:21 PM »

I, too, liked LA Confidential, although for those of us with good memories of LA in that era, there is one BAD art direction gaffe.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2004, 11:40:21 PM »

The insane Hungarian is back from the seder. Food was excellent - including REALLY strong horseradish and delish  gefilte fish. And I loved my Hillel Sandwich - had seconds. Conversation was good. After dinner we sat around in the living room - turned out that a couple of the guests had lived around or worked at Grossingers and Browns in the 60's and had hilarious stories of Buddy Hackett and other comedians. We laughed quite a bit - get a bunch of Jews and some very sweet wine together and you have a wild old time. The best part was that I didn't have to drive home - Just walk to the back of the Big House and voila.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up